PDA

View Full Version : Air Force training?

Kingquads
08-07-09, 11:47 pm
alright this is a serious question, looks like after high school im headin off to the air force, anyone here in or was in the air force? will i still be able to lift? can i still go to a gym? or will they have a gym where ever im stationed at? someone please fill me in

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
08-08-09, 1:19 am
alright this is a serious question, looks like after high school im headin off to the air force, anyone here in or was in the air force? will i still be able to lift? can i still go to a gym? or will they have a gym where ever im stationed at? someone please fill me in

After basic and any other training camps you go through, you should be free to lift. If you can't pass the PT test, they put you through a training program, running, weight, pull-ups, push-ups, but you won't have that problem. Only limitations that I can see might be if you are on active duty. I have a cousin in the Air Force. Train to be a mechanic! He's been walking around a hanger in Hawaii with a clip board making sure all the aircraft maintenance is done properly since he was 26.

Kingquads
08-08-09, 4:14 am
After basic and any other training camps you go through, you should be free to lift. If you can't pass the PT test, they put you through a training program, running, weight, pull-ups, push-ups, but you won't have that problem. Only limitations that I can see might be if you are on active duty. I have a cousin in the Air Force. Train to be a mechanic! He's been walking around a hanger in Hawaii with a clip board making sure all the aircraft maintenance is done properly since he was 26.

thanks for responding man, im just really concerned that all this hardwork im doing right now might go to waste

CommoDick
08-08-09, 5:31 am
I don't know too much about the Air Force regulations, but they shouldn't be to different than the Army's. There will definately be a gym, because fitness is important. As far as getting big and stuff, it shouldn't be too much of a problem so long as you can stay lean enough to pass a body fat test. That's how it is in the Army anyway...we got 4 gyms on Ft Carson, plus 2 dozen in town.

The_Beast
08-08-09, 7:22 am
thanks for responding man, im just really concerned that all this hardwork im doing right now might go to waste

for the most part bro, your going to lose all those hard earned hours in the gym prior to your Basic Training, and Advanced individual training. In my AIT I wasn't allowed to go to the gym which was literally 100ft away from our barracks, instead we had 8 hours worth of formations perday and 4 hours of schooling. The rest of those hours went to chow hall's, cleaning details, and personal hygiene. We were given at most, one hour of freetime per night to call home. there was no internet, no mwr, no television. My AIT was far more difficult than Basic combat training, due to the fact we went to sleep at 2230 and were in morning formation at 0350. So be prepaired and pray you get deployed early on. trust me, you'll understand once you are. I work in a JSOTF enviroment, so im around AIR FORCE (special operation) personel literally all day. Good Branch, my dad retired with 30 years in, and my sister left after 10. Good luck brother.

Kingquads
08-08-09, 2:57 pm
for the most part bro, your going to lose all those hard earned hours in the gym prior to your Basic Training, and Advanced individual training. In my AIT I wasn't allowed to go to the gym which was literally 100ft away from our barracks, instead we had 8 hours worth of formations perday and 4 hours of schooling. The rest of those hours went to chow hall's, cleaning details, and personal hygiene. We were given at most, one hour of freetime per night to call home. there was no internet, no mwr, no television. My AIT was far more difficult than Basic combat training, due to the fact we went to sleep at 2230 and were in morning formation at 0350. So be prepaired and pray you get deployed early on. trust me, you'll understand once you are. I work in a JSOTF enviroment, so im around AIR FORCE (special operation) personel literally all day. Good Branch, my dad retired with 30 years in, and my sister left after 10. Good luck brother.

are you serious? wait does it matter what kind of job i pick in the air force?

Apollo Knight
08-08-09, 5:44 pm
Dude dont sweat it. You will have time to lift, ever hear of Dave Henry? He is a E-6 in the air force and still has tons of time to lift and he works aircraft maintience I believe. Dont worry, after basic, you will have time to lift in tech school and beyond. Most bases have state of the art gyms also.

ActaNonVerba
08-08-09, 8:06 pm
Dude the AF has it maaaaaadddddeeeeeeeeee. I would kill to be able to switch over.
You will have LOTS of time to lift in the BEST military gyms. No worries buddy.

TigerAce01
08-08-09, 8:16 pm

What MOS are you that made your AIT so difficult? Or was it simply a strict unit?

-Ace

B.C.
08-08-09, 8:26 pm
I'm in the Air Force, and you have nothing to worry about. After basic, you'll go to tech school, and that's actually where I started lifting. You'll have plenty of time to train, and AETC bases have some of the best gyms in the AF. You'll be running alot, so you're going to lose some muscle, but after tech school when you get to your first base, it'll cut down a lot. We do PT in the AF, but it's kind of a joke compared to the Army/Marines. I actually knew a couple of guys who competed while they were active duty.

The_Beast
08-09-09, 12:56 am
What MOS are you that made your AIT so difficult? Or was it simply a strict unit?

-Ace

Just a combat RTO. 25C. Strict School, Strict Unit.

weedlewott
08-09-09, 1:11 am
Yeah man, like they all said before, you'll have plenty of time to lift in Tech School. I went to AIT and had enough time to lift. We cut down a ton on our running and strenuous PT at AIT because it was more of a school thing instead of physical training. Which is half the point of Basic. The other half turns you into a soldier. Or an Airman in your case. I'm in the Army and am going to compete here soon. So you have nothing to worry about. If anything, you can talk your buddies in Basic if you actually feel like it, to sit on your back while you push, fireman carry them and do squats, Bench the end of your bed with your friend on the rack, stuff like that. But something tells me that you're not gonna want to. Respect for your decision man. Shoulda looked into the Army though.

Kingquads
08-09-09, 3:00 am
Yeah man, like they all said before, you'll have plenty of time to lift in Tech School. I went to AIT and had enough time to lift. We cut down a ton on our running and strenuous PT at AIT because it was more of a school thing instead of physical training. Which is half the point of Basic. The other half turns you into a soldier. Or an Airman in your case. I'm in the Army and am going to compete here soon. So you have nothing to worry about. If anything, you can talk your buddies in Basic if you actually feel like it, to sit on your back while you push, fireman carry them and do squats, Bench the end of your bed with your friend on the rack, stuff like that. But something tells me that you're not gonna want to. Respect for your decision man. Shoulda looked into the Army though.

i havent decided yet, i have a whole year to decide what im gonna do with my life, whats so good about the army?

TigerAce01
08-09-09, 3:10 am
Just a combat RTO. 25C. Strict School, Strict Unit.

Absolutely. My father was 11B with simple OSUT, and I'm probably going in 68W. We'll have a longer AIT, but from what I've heard everything is a lot more relaxed than most other AITs.

-Ace

weedlewott
08-09-09, 5:33 am
i havent decided yet, i have a whole year to decide what im gonna do with my life, whats so good about the army?

Ha. It's just something I say. You'll get in and hear that a lot. Airmen saying they shoulda joined the army, army guys saying I shoulda joined the air force. Lol. It's more of a joking manner. The Air Force takes care of ya though.

Shamus11B
08-09-09, 5:40 am
11B all the way man. But for real the Airforce is a good gig, my father inlaw retired with 30 years and alot of family friends did as well. The Army is greta for playing cowboys and indians if you join a combat arms, but in the airforce you have a real life man.

mark
08-09-09, 5:46 am
Air force has by far, some of the easiest deployment cycles out of all the services... Though some of the jobs can be demanding at times, training should not be an issue.
Only interferences will be job demands, ie. you decide to be a PJ or some other SOF type operator. In that case, you'll have much stricter cardio/aerobic standards, and for a good reason.
Regardless of what service you join, you'll have time to train/lift. If you don't, it's your damn fault because you're not prioritizing it.

The Air Force, where they build all their entertainment complexes and base amenities, and then ask for additional money so they can build their run way, lol!

Go Navy!

The_Beast
08-09-09, 9:34 am
Absolutely. My father was 11B with simple OSUT, and I'm probably going in 68W. We'll have a longer AIT, but from what I've heard everything is a lot more relaxed than most other AITs.

-Ace

The longer AIT's are usually alot more relaxed. I wouldn't doubt it.

The_Beast
08-09-09, 9:44 am
Ha. It's just something I say. You'll get in and hear that a lot. Airmen saying they shoulda joined the army, army guys saying I shoulda joined the air force. Lol. It's more of a joking manner. The Air Force takes care of ya though.

Ive yet to hear anyone from the AIR FORCE, talking about joining the ARMY. My NCOIC was prior AF. He said it was a 360* turn-a-round. One branch the motive is combat with Air Support the other is Ground Support. The Army might be a hell of alot harder, stricter, and all around rediculous sometimes on regulations with its soldiers but for good reason. Think of knowing that every other year you were going to be deployed into a combat zone. Its hard, but you learn to live with it. trust me, Most all Army would rather be deployed than in garrison if that shows you anything right there.

weedlewott
08-10-09, 12:53 am
Ive yet to hear anyone from the AIR FORCE, talking about joining the ARMY. My NCOIC was prior AF. He said it was a 360* turn-a-round. One branch the motive is combat with Air Support the other is Ground Support. The Army might be a hell of alot harder, stricter, and all around rediculous sometimes on regulations with its soldiers but for good reason. Think of knowing that every other year you were going to be deployed into a combat zone. Its hard, but you learn to live with it. trust me, Most all Army would rather be deployed than in garrison if that shows you anything right there.

I'm stationed with some Air Force guys right now. I've heard it a few times. Both sides of the house. I'm deployed at the moment and am rather liking my decision to join the Army. 3 years deep now. Yeah, they are down right ridiculous on some of their regulations. I hate garrison. With a passion. I get back home in a little under a month and a half though. So I'm looking forward to that. Oh well. Right back over in a year or so.

Shamus11B
08-10-09, 12:56 am
Damn Pogs.

weedlewott
08-10-09, 1:00 am
Damn Pogs.

LMFAO!!!

230plus
08-10-09, 1:09 pm
21 Years and still active duty AF here, stationed in V.A. Bottom line, ALL AF bases have a gym. Yes you will have time to lift. The AF is attempting to go to a slimmer more refined person if you will, by emphasizing the yearly PT test now. It will be done 2x a year with stricter waist and run criteria. It is all in an effort to promote the cardio aspect. I am 235 and can still run, best the push-up and sit-up criteria with ease, so it should not be an issue. Once again, you will have time to lift, and they are starting to really promote it. The issue I have is that Mon/Wed/Fri, the gym on base is so damn packed that it forced me to join a gym off base for the sake of my peace-o-mind.

Good luck.

OPSNORM
08-10-09, 2:41 pm

Nah , you gotta look into the Coast Guard, no one, i mean no one beats our deployments, I did 4.5 years as a aviation maintenance tech on falcon jets stationed in miami, heres a day in my life, wake up, leave my place go to work tool checks, then work or fly, then its lunch(1hour) or 1.5hours if you excercise, then go fly or work, then go home to my place, hit the gym or beach(great thing about the coast guard, your always near a beach. next deployments, well there ruff at 2 weeks long a bad one is when we fly down to cuba but you can go to grand cayman or puerto rico. you get paid the same, same benefits, same everything. Now i am at sta vactation in ft lauderdale fla. its ruff serving your country, and if you want to go to the middle east you can volunteer to go with the coast guard, also the coast guard just started sending guys to navy seal full on training. i would say def check out your options, heres places i have suffered at on my deployements, puerto rico, cuba, grand cayman, aruba, nicaragua, panama, columbia, bahamas, st croix, its been a sacrifice but i love serving my country :} also alot of guys do there first tour with us then walk right on to homeland security or customs. def check us out

10-96
08-18-09, 7:18 am
I got out in 1996. Guess it's changed a little. When I was in our yearly fit test was to go in and ride a stationary bike for something like ten min. I used to litterally put our a smoke and finish my liter of Mt. Dew as I walked in the testing place and I passed every year. Then again I knew when and how to hold my breath to slow my heart rate and trick the test....

I have been all over the world and I don't ever recall being anywhere that didn't have a gym! Even when I was in Oman we had a gym in a tent It was 134 in the shade but that's another story....

The Air Force was a great choice for me for six years it helped me land the nice Government job I have now. I was an A&P on AWACS and worked MOCC as well. The only reason I left was the health care at Tinker SUCKED!! and my only options in the world with my special experiance indicator they decided to slap on me left me at Tinker, Elmendorf, or Kadena in Japan. So I was out after my wreck.

My only two regreats from my Air Force days are not going overseas for a tour other then Enduring Freedom and not takeing FULL advantage of the gym and recration stuff that Air Force bases make avaible to service members.