PDA

View Full Version : Who is Gilman Low?

Maccabee
08-10-09, 5:13 pm
http://chestofbooks.com/health/natural-cure/The-Hygienic-System-Fasting-and-Sun-Bathing/Gain-And-Loss-Of-Strength-While-Fasting-Continued.html

Scroll down to the article and read about what this man accomplished.

I dont know if its true or not which is the reason for this post.

Has anyone here ever heard of him or has more information about him?

Thank you.

Alk
08-10-09, 11:34 pm
Never heard of him...

And I can't believe this could ever be true.

Fasting will make you stronger? I'll believe it when I see famous bodybuilders or strongmen in our generation doing it

Maccabee
08-11-09, 10:52 am
I find this to be very shocking.

It goes against everything that involves gaining strength.

I am just trying to get to the bottom of this.

Does anyone else know anything of this guy?

dickw
08-10-10, 1:02 pm
Gilman Low was born in Essex, Mass in the late 1800's, died about 1940 in Tennessee. He was an artist, some oils, lots of calendar/illistrator art, and even a JP. Ripley's Believe it or Not had a write-up on him, listing him as the strongest man in the world.

He was the son of Arron Low, and my grandmother's uncle. He exhibited art at the Ocean House in Swampscot in the 20s/30s. and according to some papers I have he painted animals in Europe at the time rich folk there wanted pictures of their favorite horses or bulls.

For a while he had a studio in New York City. He was a free spirit, and had, I think, one child by a wife or girlfriend, we don't know which.

He was know for lifting thousands of pounds by repetative lifting, and had special diets he followed to prepare for a lifting match.

A lot of what I have came through the family, but I know he is listed on the net for his feats of strength.

He is NOT william gilman low the artist but may have been part of the family, as arron and william seem to have known each other.

some of his paintings were sold years ago, in the low thousands price range.

have fun with this, but I couldn't recommend his diet.