PDA

View Full Version : VERY curious about the bench shirt

theharjmann
08-11-09, 6:35 am
I may be posting in wrong area but,

Could someone please tell me the benefits of a bench shirt and a deadlift/squat suit and a MASSIVE thick lifing belt over a standard 4inch leather one.

Im looking to take my lifts to the next level and see lots of people wearing these things and have never known how they actually help!

Thanks

CuttDeez
08-11-09, 6:37 am
Its depending on what you want out of your lifts. Are you competing? Do you want to compete raw or equiped?

theharjmann
08-11-09, 6:46 am
as of yet, i dont want to compete.....if i were to compete at some point in my life it would be either bodybuilding or strongman, not powerlifting.

Im just training now because i wanna get massive!

Up till now, ive always trained like a bber...compound and isolation lifts in the gym

Recently thiough i have been very inspired by videos of Kevin Nee on youtube and seriously wanna get involved in car pulling and tyre flipping....things like that.....things that i see as "practical strength".

All in all i just wanna get bigger, stronger and faster really...naturally.

theharjmann
08-11-09, 7:04 am
Its depending on what you want out of your lifts. Are you competing? Do you want to compete raw or equiped?

what does this "equipment" actually DO or help with though? Thats what i wanna know.

Thanks

CuttDeez
08-11-09, 7:34 am
what does this "equipment" actually DO or help with though? Thats what i wanna know.

Thanks

The bench shirts and squat suits and knee wraps make powerlifting equiped. They aid in the specific motions.

Bench shirts will help you bench more. It puts your arms in the groove and is formed to pull up like you would during lockout. So when you are on the decent of the bench you are acctually stretching out the suit and it want to go back to original form.

Same thing with a squat suit but for squats.

Knee wraps(when wrapped properly) give you a spring at the bottom of the squat. They want to keep your knee strait so they pull you up from the bottom of the squat.

In terms of the shirt and suite I don't think you should invest in one if you dont want to powerlift equipped. They can be expensive.

theharjmann
08-11-09, 8:28 am
The bench shirts and squat suits and knee wraps make powerlifting equiped. They aid in the specific motions.

Bench shirts will help you bench more. It puts your arms in the groove and is formed to pull up like you would during lockout. So when you are on the decent of the bench you are acctually stretching out the suit and it want to go back to original form.

Same thing with a squat suit but for squats.

Knee wraps(when wrapped properly) give you a spring at the bottom of the squat. They want to keep your knee strait so they pull you up from the bottom of the squat.

In terms of the shirt and suite I don't think you should invest in one if you dont want to powerlift equipped. They can be expensive.

Cool. So i get the impression that equipment will mostly just help with lifting more weight.

And if i want to put on size theres no point in using equipment.

On the other hand, i've seen Ronnie Coleman in his DVDs in his offseason use suits for squatting etc.....i know he was a powerlifter, but if hes using suits to gain mass it must help somewhat?

CuttDeez
08-11-09, 8:35 am
Cool. So i get the impression that equipment will mostly just help with lifting more weight.

And if i want to put on size theres no point in using equipment.

On the other hand, i've seen Ronnie Coleman in his DVDs in his offseason use suits for squatting etc.....i know he was a powerlifter, but if hes using suits to gain mass it must help somewhat?

Well in that case he is lifting more weight. SO maybe his idea is that if he lifts more (even aided) he will get huger. But with coleman he could just enjoy throwing heavy shit around ha ha. It could also just be for extra support to prevent injury.

theharjmann
08-11-09, 8:46 am
Well in that case he is lifting more weight. SO maybe his idea is that if he lifts more (even aided) he will get huger. But with coleman he could just enjoy throwing heavy shit around ha ha. It could also just be for extra support to prevent injury.

yeah could be....ive been reading up, and a lot of guys say that suits help hugely with injury prevention.

im way to young to think about suits i reckon.

ill carry on lifting heavy and using a belt when i go above 4 plates per side!

Thanks cutdeez

CuttDeez
08-11-09, 8:50 am
yeah could be....ive been reading up, and a lot of guys say that suits help hugely with injury prevention.

im way to young to think about suits i reckon.

ill carry on lifting heavy and using a belt when i go above 4 plates per side!

Thanks cutdeez

Same here brother!! no problem

fenix237
08-11-09, 10:51 am
theharjmann; since you are not looking into competitve powerlifting, there is no need to buy a shirt and suit. they are very lift specific, so unless you are looking to get every last bit of weight up on the bench/squat/deadlift, they are not necessary, especially since you are looking for practical functional strength. in fact, i think it could hinder your strength gains if your body becomes too dependent on them. it's best to develop your own body's musculature as well as if your going considering strongman in the future.

LegendKillerJosh
08-11-09, 12:15 pm
My back got really strong from when I first started lifting and did my squats and deadlifts. Then, 2 years ago I had an operation and my back was not the same. After squats and deadlifts I would be in tears driving home because I had the most painful lower back pumps/shooting pain, so much that I avoided these exercises. Then I got the Inzer PR belt with the rachet clamp on the front to tighten it to the perfect amount, and now I do my deads and squats pain free, the belt does an excellent job of allowing me to force my abs out and put the pressure on my legs and hips, and my back is as strong as ever.