PDA

View Full Version : Flaxseed Help

Sphinx
08-12-09, 1:56 pm
Unbeknown to me before I bought them, I've been informed that its not good to eat flaxseeds straight outta the bag like I had thought I could. Can anyone give me some advice on how to prepare them or ground them to be ready to eat? Is it just a matter of crushing them?

C.Coronato
08-12-09, 2:05 pm
Unbeknown to me before I bought them, I've been informed that its not good to eat flaxseeds straight outta the bag like I had thought I could. Can anyone give me some advice on how to prepare them or ground them to be ready to eat? Is it just a matter of crushing them?

I put them in pancakes, waffles, bread, granola, ect. Or you can put them in shakes. I have done it all.

fenix237
08-12-09, 2:24 pm
sorry for the thread hi-jack but why is it harmful to eat Flaxseeds straight out of the bag?

Sphinx
08-12-09, 3:41 pm
I put them in pancakes, waffles, bread, granola, ect. Or you can put them in shakes. I have done it all.

I like those ideas, but is it true that you shouldn't heat them up? Also, I'm guessing you ground them first right?

sorry for the thread hi-jack but why is it harmful to eat Flaxseeds straight out of the bag?

The body doesn't digest them when they are in their seed form. I'd like to know if there is a specific method I should use or just maybe use a coffee grinder or something.

GJN5002
08-12-09, 3:44 pm
IM still on the fence about flax. one school of thought states the oil is contained in the outer shell so even if we dont digest the whole see we digest the oil. Other school thinks you have to grind dit up to digest it.

if you want to grind it get a coffee grinder or go old school and get a mortar and pestle(sp?)

Sphinx
08-12-09, 3:47 pm
IM still on the fence about flax. one school of thought states the oil is contained in the outer shell so even if we dont digest the whole see we digest the oil. Other school thinks you have to grind dit up to digest it.

if you want to grind it get a coffee grinder or go old school and get a mortar and pestle(sp?)

Alright, thanks for the info, I'll just figure something out and mash them down as close to powder as I can.

Animal Rep
08-12-09, 4:03 pm
Actually no i didnt grind them up. I threw them in whole. Tasted ok to me, and i never inspected the bowl after i went to the bathroom so i cant say if i broke them down and digested them or not.

Wasteland
08-12-09, 4:27 pm

Why can't you eat them out of the bag? Are you saying you would eat them whole? Or were you planning on chewing them?

Sphinx
08-12-09, 4:49 pm
Why can't you eat them out of the bag? Are you saying you would eat them whole? Or were you planning on chewing them?

I checked on the internet and found a few websites advising to crush them before eating them. Also that using any sort of heat with flaxseeds ruins the nutritional benefits. I don't know if that is or isn't true, I wanted to find out how other members take them in and if there is any truth to the information I found.

Wasteland
08-12-09, 4:52 pm
I checked on the internet and found a few websites advising to crush them before eating them. Also that using any sort of heat with flaxseeds ruins the nutritional benefits. I don't know if that is or isn't true, I wanted to find out how other members take them in and if there is any truth to the information I found.

Well, wouldn't chewing be the equivalent of crushing? I don't get it.

Sphinx
08-12-09, 4:59 pm
Well, wouldn't chewing be the equivalent of crushing? I don't get it.

I agree it would be, but I figured a coffee grinder could be even more effective.

Wasteland
08-12-09, 5:01 pm
I agree it would be, but I figured a coffee grinder could be even more effective.

Sure, that would work too. But you're still eating it raw (e.g., unprocessed, unbaked, etc.) right? If so, do you not want to chew them (let's say, as with sunflower seeds)? When you use a grinder, you'll leave something behind. I don't know if that matters to you.

LegendKillerJosh
08-13-09, 12:18 am
Just go with flax oil softgels. Eat sunflower kernels if you are interested in adding seeds to your diet.

Wasteland
08-13-09, 9:21 am
Just go with flax oil softgels. Eat sunflower kernels if you are interested in adding seeds to your diet.

Why this or that? Why not both?

adidas
08-13-09, 2:05 pm

why not green eggs and ham?
why not jelly and spam?
why not pearljam?

Wasteland
08-13-09, 2:26 pm
why not green eggs and ham?
why not jelly and spam?
why not pearljam?

Ham is not good unless it comes with green eggs. This was my point precisely.

adidas
08-13-09, 2:32 pm
Ham is not good unless it comes with green eggs. This was my point precisely.

ha ha...sorry I have read one too many Dr. Sues books lately to my 3 & 5 yr old...

when I saw your post it was the 1st thing that popped into my head...

Wasteland
08-13-09, 3:31 pm
Chew it. Bake it. Eat it, it's time for growth!

ha ha...sorry I have read one too many Dr. Sues books lately to my 3 & 5 yr old...

when I saw your post it was the 1st thing that popped into my head...

I see.