PDA

View Full Version : Spot Reduction & Genetics

Mo'
08-14-09, 1:29 am
To my knowledge so far, spot reduction (targeting a specific area of the body for fat loss) doesn't work. For example, doing endless amounts of sit-ups doesn't mean that someone will have ripped abdominal muscles. Obviously, body fat, cardio, and diet comes into play.

Now, my question/confusion lies in the dropping of body fat. I know that I'll have to cut down my body fat levels in order to be shredded. However, I'm assuming that my body will target a particular area for fat reduction based on my genetics as compared to someone else. For example, I've noticed that when I attack my cardio and diet religiously, certain areas tend to lose fat before others. In my example, I've noticed that my legs tend to get leaner before I start losing lower back fat, etc.

Does this mean that my body will follow a certain pattern of fat burning?

Is this due to my genetics, training frequency, intensity, or what have you?

Mo'

futurefreak101
08-14-09, 2:30 am
dunno man
i have 3 problem areas...ass..thighs and lower ab...lower abs being the bigggest problem..comes down to nothing...strict strict diet is the only way to fix any of that.

BryanSmash!
08-14-09, 2:41 am
It's probably more dependent on your particular age and gender. As a guy, the older you get, the more fat tends to deposit on you gut.

GJN5002
08-14-09, 9:56 am
gender, genetic, insulin sensitivity, but most importantly hormones dictate where fat will deposit.

live2lift
08-14-09, 1:42 pm
In my personal experiences, the first place that you tend to add fat is usually the last place you tend to take it off...could be why most people get frustrated and give up. They want results quicker than they happen and fail to see the fat loss in other parts of the body.

Peace

Wasteland
08-14-09, 2:45 pm
In my personal experiences, the first place that you tend to add fat is usually the last place you tend to take it off...could be why most people get frustrated and give up. They want results quicker than they happen and fail to see the fat loss in other parts of the body.

Peace

A useful rule of thumb. First place on, last place off. The funny thing is, we forget how long it took for the fat to accumulate around the belly. Instead, we think we can take it off in days or weeks. If we were realistic, we'd know that it tooks months if not years for that fat to add up. Therefore, when we create realistic goals, we should think in terms of months and years for removing it. Genetics and gender, for sure. As for spot reduction, there's a difference between "ripped" muscles and being able to see them. In other words, it's not about the muscles.

Dedicated
08-14-09, 3:14 pm
First place on, last place off. Nailed it with that. It's the lower back and obliques with me.