PDA

View Full Version : WA and PA gym suggestions?

Necromatrix
08-14-09, 3:41 am
Just a quick couple of questions that I could not find with a search... Any suggestions for a good gym in the Fort Lewis, WA area? Also, any in the Fort Indian Town Gap or Eerie, PA areas?

weedlewott
08-14-09, 4:20 am
get up with excessive endorphins or Mr. Dead for the gyms in the Ft. Lewis area as e is there and Dead works at the hopsital on post. So far as PA goes, I'll have to get back to you on that one. You can PM these fellas and I'm sure they'll be glad to hit you up.

Iceiktitan is the eerie PA guy. Hit him up.

Peace.

weedlewott
08-14-09, 4:24 am
Those would be the guys to ask about it for sure though. Seeing as how Mr. Dead and Iceiktitan are the ABC Coordinators for those areas. Lol. They're good people too. I'm sure they'll set you on the right path.

Iceiktitan
08-14-09, 4:26 am
Erie,Pa (American Fitness)

Necromatrix
08-14-09, 6:03 am
Thank you all for the suggestions, I really appreciate it. My "tour" in Iraq is almost over and I will be sent to Fort Lewis for several months, then to PA. Where exactly in PA, I am not sure. Actually, Weedlewott, I will be in your neck of the desert around the 28th, so if you see some wierd guy with piercings it is probably me. :)

Again, thank each of you for the suggestions.

weedlewott
08-14-09, 7:54 am
Thank you all for the suggestions, I really appreciate it. My "tour" in Iraq is almost over and I will be sent to Fort Lewis for several months, then to PA. Where exactly in PA, I am not sure. Actually, Weedlewott, I will be in your neck of the desert around the 28th, so if you see some wierd guy with piercings it is probably me. :)

Again, thank each of you for the suggestions.

Which part of Kuwait? Go ahead and tell me. I may be able to make arrangements to hit the gym.

Necromatrix
08-14-09, 9:16 am
As far as I know I am leaving Taji to Biop, then Ali Al Salem where I will be for 24 hours (at least) getting a Visa and such. I will most likely be in the tent area with the other contractors and soldiers that are passing through.

weedlewott
08-14-09, 9:47 am
Cool. When you leave BIAP to come to AAS, ask them where the Task Force Gateway HQ is. Come in asking for a SGT Pearson. maybe we can work something out to hit the gym.

Necromatrix
08-14-09, 9:51 am
Will do. It would be an honor, though I am sure I could not keep up with you.

GJN5002
08-14-09, 9:53 am
I train at Gold in Camp hill PA(about 30 min from fort indian town gap) its a decent gym.

Necromatrix
08-14-09, 10:00 am
I train at Gold in Camp hill PA(about 30 min from fort indian town gap) its a decent gym.

I appreciate the input, Gjn5002. I am not sure where they will send me, but I want to make sure I can continue to workout wherever it is.

mcbeast
08-14-09, 8:23 pm
Cool. When you leave BIAP to come to AAS, ask them where the Task Force Gateway HQ is. Come in asking for a SGT Pearson. maybe we can work something out to hit the gym.

Yo..The the gym on McVeigh is pretty good. Theyve got a whole arsenal of stuff. Plenty of racks and benches as well, and get this..they have chalk. Theres a bunch of commercial gyms in the area, la fitness and ballys but i wouldnt reccomend. There is seattle strength & power which is a pl/strongman gym, but thats quite a ride. I workout with HIGA on weekends down at the warehouse and train strongman if thats something you were into. But all in all, McVeigh is pretty good of a gym. Ive yet to check out the gym on McChord tho i hear theyre good too.Just lemme know and Mr Dead, myself or both of us might be able to get in some sessions with you.

HeavyG
08-14-09, 8:37 pm

Is that across from the Capital City Mall?

Necromatrix
08-14-09, 11:54 pm
Yo..The the gym on McVeigh is pretty good. Theyve got a whole arsenal of stuff. Plenty of racks and benches as well, and get this..they have chalk. Theres a bunch of commercial gyms in the area, la fitness and ballys but i wouldnt reccomend. There is seattle strength & power which is a pl/strongman gym, but thats quite a ride. I workout with HIGA on weekends down at the warehouse and train strongman if thats something you were into. But all in all, McVeigh is pretty good of a gym. Ive yet to check out the gym on McChord tho i hear theyre good too.Just lemme know and Mr Dead, myself or both of us might be able to get in some sessions with you.

Thank you for the intell. At this point I think I would get laughed out of a powerlifting/ strongman gym, for certain. :) I would certianly rather stay away from L.A. Fitness type of places. I will most assuredly be checking out McVeigh. Hope to see you gentlemen there.

jon_carter13
08-17-09, 1:57 pm
Hey Bro, check out Mcveigh gym on post at Ft. Lewis. It's free and they've got a shit-load of freeweights now that they got rid of those stupid indoor tennis courts. I was able to visit it after the renovations just before I deployed and it was awesome! If you're looking for somewhere off post, I highly recommend 24 hour fitness over by 84th street exit. I stopped in there to use their bathroom once and it looked pretty legit.

Necromatrix
08-17-09, 2:48 pm
Thank you. I will certianly be checking out McViegh since several people people have recommended it. :Pay no attention to the long haired civilian....: -grins-

I may also look into an off-post gym, just in case I want to lift at an odd time, or when I start cardio.

Ten days left until I fly out (theoretically....)!

jon_carter13
08-17-09, 2:54 pm
I do know that pierce county YMCA's offer free membership to soldiers, but I'm not sure about civilian contractors. I just did a google search of Gyms near 98433 (Ft. Lewis ZIP) and it populated a lot of options. Sadly when I go home to Kentucky my choices are limited to the YMCA and a couple of local gyms to check out. Good luck to ya! Where you at in Iraq right now?

mcbeast
08-17-09, 11:03 pm
Thank you. I will certianly be checking out McViegh since several people people have recommended it. :Pay no attention to the long haired civilian....: -grins-

I may also look into an off-post gym, just in case I want to lift at an odd time, or when I start cardio.

Ten days left until I fly out (theoretically....)!

Ymca is a bit of a drive, the one by my house anyway. May want to look into 24 hr fitness then, its about 20 mins from post.

Necromatrix
08-18-09, 12:31 am
Thank you for the extra effort, Jon_Carter13. I had thought to search for a gym, but I mainly wanted to get opinions here. It will certainly cut down on time it takes to get back to lifting once I touch down. As well as having a better idea of were serious lifters would rather go. I think for the most part I will stick to McVeigh. I have social issues, so going to a "Ken and Barbie" gym would not work. :)

I am stationed at Camp Taji with the PA Stryker Brigade. This is my first run "in theatre", but I will certainly be back, although most likely in Afghanistan.

Again, my thanks to everyone for their advice.

Mr. Dead
08-26-09, 1:35 pm
Thank you for the extra effort, Jon_Carter13. I had thought to search for a gym, but I mainly wanted to get opinions here. It will certainly cut down on time it takes to get back to lifting once I touch down. As well as having a better idea of were serious lifters would rather go. I think for the most part I will stick to McVeigh. I have social issues, so going to a "Ken and Barbie" gym would not work. :)

I am stationed at Camp Taji with the PA Stryker Brigade. This is my first run "in theatre", but I will certainly be back, although most likely in Afghanistan.

Again, my thanks to everyone for their advice.

Make sure you hit me up, when you get into the area...

mcbeast
08-26-09, 10:35 pm
Make sure you hit me up, when you get into the area...

Im ontop of this big dog...