View Full Version : long head of the triceps

sideburnz
08-14-09, 3:10 pm
This has been my tris routine for the past 2months.. it has worked really well:

CG benches - 3sets
Dips - 3sets
Skull crushers - 3sets
Lying dumbbell extensions - 3sets

I want to start changing the lying dumbbell extensions.. & i want to replace it with a excercise that would enhance the long head of my tris more... i do know cgs are for the lateral & medial heads.. and dips work all heads.. could someone tell me which part of the tris the skulls and extensions hit? im guessing its the long head but i aint sure.. pls free to help.. RMB guys i have 2 questions.. thank you.

fenix237
08-14-09, 4:47 pm
sideburnz, you emphasize the longhead of the triceps anytime your elbow is out away from your body. examples are skullcrushers, kickbacks, seated dumbell extensions, decline french curls

that's why you see a lot of women doing these...to tighten up the back of the arm

skullcrushers are an excellent for hitting the long head of the triceps

BeastCook
08-14-09, 4:49 pm
This has been my tris routine for the past 2months.. it has worked really well:

CG benches - 3sets
Dips - 3sets
Skull crushers - 3sets
Lying dumbbell extensions - 3sets

I want to start changing the lying dumbbell extensions.. & i want to replace it with a excercise that would enhance the long head of my tris more... i do know cgs are for the lateral & medial heads.. and dips work all heads.. could someone tell me which part of the tris the skulls and extensions hit? im guessing its the long head but i aint sure.. pls free to help.. RMB guys i have 2 questions.. thank you.

you got it right cgs and dips work all the heads, your prolly over-doing your triceps thats why your not seeing your longhead respond that much, maybe just take out the lying dumbbell extensions, i mean skullcrushers are pretty much the same thing, but if you want a good exercise to replace that do overhead one handed dumbbell skullcrushers, kinda like how arnold,victor,evan centopani does them, you get one hell of a good stretch

Muscleguy93
08-14-09, 4:55 pm
i agree with the other guys, skulls hit the long

MVP
08-14-09, 5:39 pm
Overhead triceps extensions hit the long head of the triceps more than any other exercise.

Parallel dips aren't a direct tricep exercise, the agonist muscle is the chest. Think about it, how many times can you do skull crushers with your bodyweight? Your triceps aren't capable of moving your weight alone.

The only way your triceps will be the agonist is if it's bench dips you're doing.

sideburnz
08-14-09, 7:35 pm
sideburnz, you emphasize the longhead of the triceps anytime your elbow is out away from your body. examples are skullcrushers, kickbacks, seated dumbell extensions, decline french curls

that's why you see a lot of women doing these...to tighten up the back of the arm

skullcrushers are an excellent for hitting the long head of the triceps

thanks.. made sense. :D

sideburnz
08-14-09, 7:36 pm
you got it right cgs and dips work all the heads, your prolly over-doing your triceps thats why your not seeing your longhead respond that much, maybe just take out the lying dumbbell extensions, i mean skullcrushers are pretty much the same thing, but if you want a good exercise to replace that do overhead one handed dumbbell skullcrushers, kinda like how arnold,victor,evan centopani does them, you get one hell of a good stretch

overhead one handed dumbbell skullcrushers... hmm never thought about that... might try it just to see if it feels good..thanks..

sideburnz
08-14-09, 7:37 pm
Overhead triceps extensions hit the long head of the triceps more than any other exercise.

Parallel dips aren't a direct tricep exercise, the agonist muscle is the chest. Think about it, how many times can you do skull crushers with your bodyweight? Your triceps aren't capable of moving your weight alone.

The only way your triceps will be the agonist is if it's bench dips you're doing.

yes i know.. i think this the third time i'm seeing you type about the agonist muscle & about the same topic. Dips.. hahah Anyway thanks..

Survivor831
08-14-09, 7:49 pm
Overhead extensions with a dumbell or ez curl bar will slap mass on the long head quick.

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
08-14-09, 7:57 pm
Try Bent-Over Barbell Kickbacks. They are a favorite of mine. Focus on full extension.

BigAnt
08-14-09, 7:59 pm
All three triceps heads (long-lateral and medial) work together to cause extension of the arm at the elbow joint...but when a muscle is stretched to its fullest length at the start of an exercise, it takes the majority of the load during the exercise. Why tricep (over head) extensions place more focus on the long head---done with a dumbbell or barbell. But it also COULD come with a price....Bad elbows...A lot of stress is placed on the elbows with this movment if done week after week going super heavy. And let's not get started to talk about bad form, with good form it still stresses the elbow in a major way!

I use to do and still do "craddle bench extensions" G, Big Al, Lowdown, Russ, VinnyG and some of you other "older" guys might know about this movement...G not being old, but you know about this movement from Larry Scott.

You kneel on the ground facing away from the cable machine. Your elbows are resting on a twin pedestal bench/Craddle bench or two small seat benches facing each other. Your feet are pressed tight against the base of the tricpe cable machine. When the arms go back duck the body down so you get an even better stretch on the tricep. That’s why you have a twin pedestal/Craddle bench, so you can get your head way down without hitting your face on the flat seat of the bench. It has a concave surface, allowing you to stretch even more. After full extension, hold it for a tight squeeze and lower back in a four second count. And know stress on the elbows!

Craddle benches are still being made by some equipment companies, I have a home-grown one my brother and I welded up at his work. You also can make it out of wood, but pad the ends where the elbows lie at.

sideburnz
08-14-09, 8:01 pm
Try Bent-Over Barbell Kickbacks. They are a favorite of mine. Focus on full extension.

by lookin at the name of it.. it doesn't seem possible.. please explain.. thanks

08-14-09, 8:14 pm

by lookin at the name of it.. it doesn't seem possible.. please explain.. thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC5-rlxoyxk

Not perfect form, but its how they are done.

sideburnz
08-14-09, 8:25 pm
All three triceps heads (long-lateral and medial) work together to cause extension of the arm at the elbow joint...but when a muscle is stretched to its fullest length at the start of an exercise, it takes the majority of the load during the exercise. Why tricep (over head) extensions place more focus on the long head---done with a dumbbell or barbell. But it also COULD come with a price....Bad elbows...A lot of stress is placed on the elbows with this movment if done week after week going super heavy. And let's not get started to talk about bad form, with good form it still stresses the elbow in a major way!

I use to do and still do "craddle bench extensions" G, Big Al, Lowdown, Russ, VinnyG and some of you other "older" guys might know about this movement...G not being old, but you know about this movement from Larry Scott.

You kneel on the ground facing away from the cable machine. Your elbows are resting on a twin pedestal bench/Craddle bench or two small seat benches facing each other. Your feet are pressed tight against the base of the tricpe cable machine. When the arms go back duck the body down so you get an even better stretch on the tricep. That’s why you have a twin pedestal/Craddle bench, so you can get your head way down without hitting your face on the flat seat of the bench. It has a concave surface, allowing you to stretch even more. After full extension, hold it for a tight squeeze and lower back in a four second count. And know stress on the elbows!

Craddle benches are still being made by some equipment companies, I have a home-grown one my brother and I welded up at his work. You also can make it out of wood, but pad the ends where the elbows lie at.

i find it such a honour that Big Ant replied to my post.. thanks man.. & about the 'craddle bench extensions' i aint too sure if im capable of getting such an equipment but i totally get what you are saying about the overhead extensions. So just by seeing my routine for tris.. Do you think i need any changes? I would love to keep the CG benches & dips.. but do let me know... Thanks..

sideburnz
08-14-09, 8:28 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC5-rlxoyxk

Not perfect form, but its how they are done.

whoa! why didn't i ever think of that.. Really wanna try that bro.. By the way this hits the long head right?

08-14-09, 8:33 pm
If you do good form, no sway/keep elbows pretty stationary, you should really feel it in your long and lateral heads.

sideburnz
08-15-09, 2:38 pm
If you do good form, no sway/keep elbows pretty stationary, you should really feel it in your long and lateral heads.

bro today was arms day.. i did those barbell kickbacks as my last excercise for Tris.. & for me to do it with good form i really had to go light.. & it felt great! Thanks bro.. I'm gonna stick with this for a while.

08-15-09, 4:04 pm
bro today was arms day.. i did those barbell kickbacks as my last excercise for Tris.. & for me to do it with good form i really had to go light.. & it felt great! Thanks bro.. I'm gonna stick with this for a while.

Glad I could help bro.

sideburnz
08-15-09, 5:51 pm
Glad I could help bro.

bro i just checked out your journey..it's really great.. I just wondered why those
bb kickbacks weren't used?..

08-15-09, 6:18 pm
Workout- Chest, Delts, Tri's

Incline DB Press(Slow, Full ROM)- 80'sx6x6x6, 90'sx4, 80'sx6
Reverse Grip Bench Press 135x10 SS Various DB Fliesx10 (x4)

Bent Over DB Raises- 25'sx10, 30'sx10, 35'sx10, 40'sx10(Little sway on the 40's)
Standing DB Military 40'sx10, 45'sx8, 50'sx6 SS with Reverse Cable Fliesx10x10x10
Seated DB Side Raises- 20'sx8, 25'sx8, 30'sx8

Overhead EZ-Bar Ext.- 65x10, 85x10, 105x10 dropset 65x10
Bent Over EZ-Bar Kickbacks(SUPER SLOW)- 65x8x8x8x8
Larry Scotts- Bodyweightx20

Good workout today. Got my order, Pump and M-stak had me feelin perty jacked haha. Will be posting pics up tomarrow, and starting a log on bb.com. Also, SCR Torrent and C&C Real Gains are both fuckin amazing. C&C tastes like Oreo's and milk. SCR Torrent demolishes GAA, and I love me some GAA. Gotta get in the bed fellas, 4AM comes early and its 11:50.

bro i just checked out your journey..it's really great.. I just wondered why those
bb kickbacks weren't used?..

There they are bro. Be sure to subscribe, I'd love to have you along for the ride.

BigAnt
08-15-09, 9:26 pm
i find it such a honour that Big Ant replied to my post.. thanks man.. & about the 'craddle bench extensions' i aint too sure if im capable of getting such an equipment but i totally get what you are saying about the overhead extensions. So just by seeing my routine for tris.. Do you think i need any changes? I would love to keep the CG benches & dips.. but do let me know... Thanks..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, try kneeling away from th emachine and just drop your head and get that really
long-deep stretch in those tris.

I, just me love love close grips on the smith, skull crushers, pushdowns and some kind of an extension to really put the extra stretch on that long head!

noend
08-15-09, 9:32 pm
taking a under hand grip on a straight bar on the cable machine the pushing down hits the long head of the tricep great