PDA

View Full Version : best of both

NAVALIN GOVENDER
08-16-09, 8:29 am
yo guys do you think it is possible to lose weight and build muscle at the same time .If you thinks id appreciate a few pointers to help me along.

Fury317
08-16-09, 9:26 am
yo guys do you think it is possible to lose weight and build muscle at the same time .If you thinks id appreciate a few pointers to help me along.

Honestly, no I dont think its possible. When losing weight you are most likely going to be in a caloric deficit, and if you are a natural lifter, there really isnt any way to get bigger by eating less than your BMR, unless youre a freak. I do, however, believe it is entirely possible that you maintain the strength you have gained, as long as nutrition and training are on point- which can be difficult. And as long as you keep your strength and train with intensity, you will not lose muscle and look nice and shredded at the end of your cut.

My personal theory- if youre going to cut, then cut. If youre going to bulk, then bulk. Dont pussy foot in a middle ground. Cool?

h 3 L L b 0 y
08-16-09, 12:53 pm
Hmm, may work for some people, especially for beginner and what not.. But personally, what I'd aim for is, if you're at a high bf%, then cut down to bf% that you're comfortable at, and then clean bulk. You'll be able to add little amounts of muscle over time progressively, while keeping fat gain to a minimum. I tend to think this is the best approach for non-competitors that want to look good year round.

Muscleguy93
08-16-09, 1:30 pm
Recompostion can happen. If your untrained @ 200 lbs(example) 20% bodyfat, after a few months of training and newbie strenght gains you can stay the same weight but have less BF, 200 @ 15% or somthing, see what i mean, thats why somtimes when you first start lifting you feel bigger and more muscular yet stay the about the same weight, see what i mean? you cannot be the untrained 200 lber 20% and months later be 220 10% bodyfat. lol hope this makes sense bro.

N. Motta
08-16-09, 6:43 pm
Based on my body, I agree withy Fury 100%.

Kevlar
08-19-09, 3:52 pm
If you have deep desire and are looking to drop bodyfat but not shrink, then eat big but eat clean and lift like a wilderbeast. Watch your body's changes every few weeks to see what diet modifications need to be made. Agreed on the mention of caloric surplus / deficit- science is science. But the guessing game of where our resting metabolic rate may be is not accurate for the average animal here. Knock out ALL crap food and eat with fierce discipline - each person's results will vary. The hardcore will respond to changes and modify as necessary. Good luck.