PDA

View Full Version : Building the chest from collarbone out

IRN-NML
08-17-09, 3:59 pm
For those of you with good upper chest dvlpment, any tips, twists beyond incline bb, db? Steep incline just short of a seated press? Presses to the neck? Already doing Gironda dips which seem to mainly hit the outer pec area. Appreciate any new or maybe overlooked ideas. Thx

strivin for more
08-17-09, 4:55 pm
time.

keep doin those incline DB's and presses. everyone says them for a reason, cause they work. just keep it hard and heavy. good luck man.

Pizzalamp
08-17-09, 5:02 pm
if u hold a single dumbell & interlock your fingers on it and raise it up it hits the upper chest well

dyskee
08-17-09, 5:16 pm
try incline db press with a neutral grip

calcaneous
08-17-09, 6:17 pm
i like doing incline db presses with the bench set one notch above 45 degrees.

sideburnz
08-17-09, 9:32 pm
I do the usual inclines & flat benches.. But recently i saw better results in my upper chest when i added the 'dumbbell pullovers' into my chest regiment. You should really go heavy with them with great form, it would definitely cause some gains on your upper chest. Let me know if it works aight.

pmug0000
08-17-09, 11:15 pm
Guillotine presses hit the upper chest/ collar bone area pretty well. I recommend doing them on a smith machine, it's easier to control and I feel safer doing it that way

willah
08-17-09, 11:41 pm
I did DB pullovers for the first time tonight. Felt great. Give them a shot and see what you think. I don't feel they isolate the upper pec as much as incline work, but they gave my entire chest a whole different feel than flyes or presses.

sideburnz
08-18-09, 4:25 am
I did DB pullovers for the first time tonight. Felt great. Give them a shot and see what you think. I don't feel they isolate the upper pec as much as incline work, but they gave my entire chest a whole different feel than flyes or presses.

Amen to that.

fenix237
08-18-09, 3:58 pm
although i've never done them, i've been told that doing front raises with a 45lb plate with your arms straight out in front of you builds the upper pecks- strangely enough it was an old school boxer that told me this- not sure why a boxer is worried about that- maybe just for looks???

shizz702
08-18-09, 7:34 pm
I do the usual inclines & flat benches.. But recently i saw better results in my upper chest when i added the 'dumbbell pullovers' into my chest regiment. You should really go heavy with them with great form, it would definitely cause some gains on your upper chest. Let me know if it works aight.

Pullovers are great chest and lat builder and was a staple for the old timers.

It's been said that they will "expand your ribcage" if done right, while breathing heavily.

IRN-NML
08-20-09, 6:37 pm
if u hold a single dumbell & interlock your fingers on it and raise it up it hits the upper chest well

Had to experiment with this using flat, incline. Pretty short range of motion & requires using a fairly heavy dbell but the idea's worth keeping. Thx. Similar to this & hits the pectoralis major clavical:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/SerratusAnterior/BBInclineShoulderRaise.html

Returned to doing dbell pullovers at the end recently. While the ribcage won't expand any more after ? 17, bone is bone, and it's primarily a lat exercise, they do feel good (in the chest & lats) so they're also worth keeping.

BryanSmash!
08-21-09, 1:34 am
I know this goes against the norm, but I'd suggest giving decline presses a try for a while. Yep, I said declines, thats not a typo. If you are a shoulder and tricep presser like I am, you might find that you will get a larger, fuller chest at this angle. It worked for me, so if you have the same problem and want to throw conventional wisdom out the window, give it a try.