PDA

View Full Version : Muay Thai

h 3 L L b 0 y
08-19-09, 7:31 pm
Guys, I was thinking about starting M T in October, gym near me does unlimited gym and 2x classes a week for £22 which is pretty cheap. I'm really looking forward to getting back into the gym after my injury, and want to start bulking and putting on size asap.. But at the same time, I want to do M T for the conditioning, stamina and self defense. Is it possible to still gain size while doing hypertrophy training, or can you only really do low rep heavy training? I'm not looking to compete in M T, just for the above aspects.

fenix237
08-20-09, 12:26 pm
Guys, I was thinking about starting M T in October, gym near me does unlimited gym and 2x classes a week for £22 which is pretty cheap. I'm really looking forward to getting back into the gym after my injury, and want to start bulking and putting on size asap.. But at the same time, I want to do M T for the conditioning, stamina and self defense. Is it possible to still gain size while doing hypertrophy training, or can you only really do low rep heavy training? I'm not looking to compete in M T, just for the above aspects.

hey h3LLb0y, i'm going to be starting MT myself next month. like you, i want to keep up with the irongame, while getting some great conditioning in with the muay thai. i'll let the more experienced guys give you more valuable advice but i'll get your thread moving

i will say that bulking (BB'er/powerlifter style) and MT aren't exactly compatible- the problem with gaining a lot of mass is that it will cause you to gas out quicker since you have more mass to feed oxygen to. it could also hinder your quickness and flexibility. like some members told me, if anything do olympic style lifts- they require quickness, agility, and footwork that can carryover to MT.

since you are not looking to compete (like me), you don't necessarily have to be in the absolute best condition for muay thai. the training will give you a great workout, reflexes will improve, and learn some self defense. i'm in it for the dicipline as well

i think diet will be crucial for you to make gains in the weightroom and in MT- i look forward to hearing from the MMA guys

good luck mate! -brp

h 3 L L b 0 y
08-20-09, 3:02 pm
hey h3LLb0y, i'm going to be starting MT myself next month. like you, i want to keep up with the irongame, while getting some great conditioning in with the muay thai. i'll let the more experienced guys give you more valuable advice but i'll get your thread moving

i will say that bulking (BB'er/powerlifter style) and MT aren't exactly compatible- the problem with gaining a lot of mass is that it will cause you to gas out quicker since you have more mass to feed oxygen to. it could also hinder your quickness and flexibility. like some members told me, if anything do olympic style lifts- they require quickness, agility, and footwork that can carryover to MT.

since you are not looking to compete (like me), you don't necessarily have to be in the absolute best condition for muay thai. the training will give you a great workout, reflexes will improve, and learn some self defense. i'm in it for the dicipline as well

i think diet will be crucial for you to make gains in the weightroom and in MT- i look forward to hearing from the MMA guys

good luck mate! -brp

Thanks for the post. I'm not to worried about my MT getting affected, as I don't think I'll be pursuing a career in it anytime soon, but also want to be good at it as it's not just something I want to do on the side. I understand what you mean by too much muscle sucks, which is why you see most MT fighters pretty small and lean. I think if I ate a calorie surplus, while doing MT, I could slowly add weight, but also get the benefits from MT? People like American football players and rugby players have a lot of muscle, but also need to be conditioned well?

ironshaolin
08-21-09, 9:44 am
If you're training Muay Thai as well, just make sure you cut your total volume down in the gym. 2-3 days a week will be plenty, any more will hinder progress, as the muay thai workouts will cut into recovery too much. The biggest thing I've found is to put a serious focus on pre, during, and post workout nutrition. I like to go into the gym with my glycogen levels topped off with a surge of amino's running through me. Then keep that going through the workout, and you won't need to have a shake immediately after, wait like 20 minutes or so. I start out 60 mins pre workout with a home-made protein bar of 1 scoop whey, 2 scoops oats(blended to turn them into powder) and 1 tbsp peanut butter, a little water all mixed up. About 30 mins out, I have 1 scoop whey mixed in gatorade, then on the way to the gym I start drinking a carb/hydro whey/leucine blend which could also be torrent. I finish that about 1/2 way through, then have protein/creatine PWO.

As far as your lifting goes, keep the volume lower so you can perform in the ring. Use compound moves mainly, and few if any isolation stuff. I like to do about 3-4 excersises TOTAL for each day. It might be an upper/lower split, doing something like bench/rows/triceps one day, squats/good mornings/calves another, miltary/chins/biceps another, and deadlifts/split squats/glute ham raises another. The other split I like is 3 day total body, an upper body push, upper pull, and squat/deadlift variation.