PDA

View Full Version : CNS/ muscular Fatigue..

violator
08-20-09, 4:53 am
So..due to injury and a poor run with finances, i found myself in a 3 month lay-off from weight training....and decent protien based nutrition...
Finally, things turned the corner and i got back in the gym and back at the dinner table...

Last Friday i worked legs with my boy D-Bomb & in our true back breaking high volume style we hit up 8 sets of heavy squats...followed by 5 sets of hacks and topped it off with a couple sets of some leg extensions to really fry us.....needless to say...walking wasnt so fun for the weeknd..haha...
On sunday i hit up ME upper body...incline presses, wide grip chins, rows supersetted with rear delt flyes, shrugs & BB curls to finish off....

Now being that id recently turned 30 & just about everything was aching so much i felt like crying upon awakening, i figured training was goin well, im used to gettting back into the swing of things with heavy workouts, but my last severe lay off was 2 yrs ago, back when i was a little younger...haha...but i thought everything was to be expected, my nutrition was on point for the last 2 weeks, 3300-3500cals a day, clean eating & enough protien....a gallon of water a day....

Then it hit me....tuesday night, while on the way to a mates house to watch arsenal kick the shit outta celtic (2-0)...i noticed a twinge of pain in my neck...."nothing out of the ordinary, ill prolly just have to see the chiro tommorow for an adjustment"....(i dont drink by the way, all i had during the game was a cup of green tea)...the game finished late & i was in bed by 11pm...for 6 1/2hrs sleep....

the next morning i woke up & didnt quite feel right, "thatll teach me for not gettin my usuall 8 hrs", i thought....nevertheless, pack the cooler & off to work....
As the day at the office progressed i started feeling a bit more sore in the legs, i felt i just wasnt recovering....
Suddenly chills racked my body, all my joints started hurting and i started shaking uncontrollably, the pain was coursing trough my body & i couldnt even think it was so sore...."what the fuck?", i thought....
even trying to put down a shake made my stomach feel tight & sore, as if it just didnt want to digest anything...my metabolisim was slowed as well & eating anything, just felt like it was sitting in my stomach & doin nothing....
shit...drinking water became a mission & left a metallic taste in my mouth....

At 2pm, things werent getting any better & then the realisation hit me like a ton of bricks...
YOUVE OVERTRAINED MY BOY.... THIS IS WHAT CNS & MUSCULAR FATIGUE FEEL LIKE...

"what, me overtrained?, after 2 sessions..nawww...thats for pussies, not me....
but the signs & symptoms were there....& the result?

a shot of voltaren in the ass & 14hrs sleep later & i feel im comin right....

God i feel like an idiot....but live & learn right?....im one step closer to understanding my physiology better...even if it did come at the cost of a week of fatigue & bed rest...
Ive read a lot of articles saying "overtraining is a myth"...well, that may be so for some, but for ME its turned into a reality....a fuckin painfull experience im gonna avoid at all costs in the future....

This being all said & done id like to know from any of my brethren if uve experienced something similar?..and how did you overcome it?...what do u think brought it upon you?

peace....

sanga
08-20-09, 5:40 am
Been there mate a few times, so the live and learn takes more than once in my case-lol

I eased off and didn`t push to failure for a few weeks then upped the intensity slowly to get my body back to the bombardment of heavy all out sets, slow and steady and made sure my nutrition was spot on with all the required supps needed for recovery, plenty of rest, no late nights, no boozing and no cardio until right back into it then added the cardio in again slowly.

The CNS can only take so much then says "No More" and you get ill, I found this out the most when I started DC training, there was a fine line between training and overtraining.

violator
08-20-09, 7:15 am
...The CNS can only take so much then says "No More" and you get ill, I found this out the most when I started DC training, there was a fine line between training and overtraining.

true dat....thanks Sanga..

D-Bomb
08-20-09, 8:40 am
ah hell...well fuck that sucks...hehehe no easing back into it for you is there? haha...that seemed like quite a trip you had bro. I do hope you come right man, I'm amazed at how badly your body was shook up from some training..Take it easy this weekend dude and let me know how your feeling cause it was good to get a real partner back with legs!

violator
08-20-09, 9:09 am
..Take it easy this weekend dude and let me know how your feeling cause it was good to get a real partner back with legs!

will do bru....

D-Bomb
08-20-09, 10:23 am
will do bru....

good stuff man... :)

GJN5002
08-20-09, 4:09 pm
I think its possible that you may have already had something at work in you rbody( virus. illness etc) thta made your immune system vulnerable then you went and put it out of its misery with that leg workout.

Ive noticed it before from training too many days on for too long without any real time off. You get that I kinda feel sick or just not right sensation.

violator
08-21-09, 2:33 am
I think its possible that you may have already had something at work in you rbody( virus. illness etc) thta made your immune system vulnerable then you went and put it out of its misery with that leg workout....

thats a really good observation man, & ur right, i did have the flu 2 weeks prior, i thought it had left me, but earlier in the week i could still feel it hanging around a bit....thanks for the insight gjn5002...

BigAnt
08-21-09, 9:58 pm
Gotta view the body, the body parts---as one "entire central nervous system"

And yes your nutrition was on for 2 weeks, but what about the 12-15 weeks prior as well?
Food is energy and helps the muscular-skeletal system!

We gotta build not break down, sure some break down will happen, but always slowly progressing ahead!

As we age...EVERYTHING slows down and a risk of injury increases...

RECOVERY IS KEY!

So you took some time off for an injury.
YOU OWN YOUR SIZE-STRENGTH...YOU AIN'T LEASING IT...

PROBABY 10, 15+ YEARS YOU TRAINED HARD RIGHT? So a short break and returning back to the weights slowly is what your body needed!

You learned avaluable leasson, always listen to your body, you only have one body...
Wear it for life!

sunny_max
08-21-09, 11:13 pm
Gotta view the body, the body parts---as one "entire central nervous system"

And yes your nutrition was on for 2 weeks, but what about the 12-15 weeks prior as well?
Food is energy and helps the muscular-skeletal system!

We gotta build not break down, sure some break down will happen, but always slowly progressing ahead!

As we age...EVERYTHING slows down and a risk of injury increases...

RECOVERY IS KEY!

So you took some time off for an injury.
YOU OWN YOUR SIZE-STRENGTH...YOU AIN'T LEASING IT...

PROBABY 10, 15+ YEARS YOU TRAINED HARD RIGHT? So a short break and returning back to the weights slowly is what your body needed!

You learned avaluable leasson, always listen to your body, you only have one body...
Wear it for life!

straight from the pros......i learned it the hard way too.....back in high school when i used to box and wasnt so serious about nutrition or knowledge of training...just go to the gym throw weights around and hope to be the best bodybuilder and boxer......after a vacation for 3 weeks and went to the gym and worked my body with the same intensity...cldnt move the next day haha......doc said soemthign about fatigue in lower back...i was on rest for 4 weeks before he allowed me to hit the weights again and that too with low intensity......get some rest bro....and good luck with ur recovery.

violator
08-22-09, 3:27 am
Wear it for life!

thanks Ant....no doubt...

violator
08-22-09, 3:28 am
straight from the pros......i learned it the hard way too.......get some rest bro....and good luck with ur recovery.

Shot sunny....so u were out for 4 weeks?, damn, i hope its not that long for me....

sunny_max
08-22-09, 3:47 am
Shot sunny....so u were out for 4 weeks?, damn, i hope its not that long for me....

i hope not.....just get some good rest over the weekend buddy......cant advise u more ur more experienced than me......my injury was like 8 years ago when i was like 16-17 yr old....young and inexperienced......you know the ones...thinking of being the next mohammed ali or arnold overnight lol........

violator
08-24-09, 3:21 am
..you know the ones...thinking of being the next mohammed ali or arnold overnight lol........

ahhhh....didnt we all have those dreams...haha...
thanks anyway bro....all advice is welcome...and appreciated.

violator
08-24-09, 3:23 am
update:

it seems that the fatigue really killed all the beneficial bacteria in my guts...damn... been up the whole weeknd with cramps & gas, especially bad after eating a meal....

to remedy ive been pounding down the pro-biotic yogurt and supplementing with probiotic tabs to promote regeneration of the good flora....feeling better today tho.....hopefully this will not last much longer......please God....haha...