PDA

View Full Version : Taking A Long Look

belladiabla13
08-20-09, 5:52 pm
I have been spending my week trying out new gyms. My membership is up at mine and It simply does not fit. I will not renew it. I am finding though that every gym I walk into "trainers" are finding the need to impose their will upon me. I don't know if this is because I am a woman walking into the place alone? Or because I am a work in progress. Today I had one who insisted on watching me do my entire leg workout so he could tell me how I could do everything I was doing in 20 minutes flat and not use any weights. I am starting to develop a thicker skin when it comes to bs like this but it still really pisses me off. I did not even know how much prejudice there was even in gyms when it comes to people wanting to lift weights. Its a PX90 world. Everyone is a cage fighter(and no offense to those of you busting your asses to really do so). I guess a 33 year old mom of 6 looks a little odd under the iron to most people. I sure do catch hell from my friends and my family. "Why you wanna look like a dude"? Truth is all of it has really helped me along the way. Cause when they talk trash like that what I hear is "WE COULD NEVER DO WHAT YOUR DOING, SO WERE GOING TO HATE ON YOU". This is so much more than a journey of changing my body and making it stronger. I am becoming a stronger human being and learning that how I see me, is what really counts. So, I just wanna show my luv and appreciation to everyone else out there being hated on, but keeping on..

~One Love~
Bella

andrewT
08-20-09, 7:39 pm
If I was any closer to you I would come by and give you a big high five lol!

keep up the hard work!

noend
08-20-09, 7:48 pm
Do work!

as Katt Williams said
"Live your motherfucking life. Get your hustle on. Understand people are gonna hate you regardless. Get that out of your head, that fantasy world where people ain't hating on you. You gotta be grateful. You need haters. What the fuck you complaining about. What the fuck do you think a haters job is? To fucking hate. So let them do their damn job. What the fuck you complaining about. Ladies if you got 14 women hating on you, you need to figure out how the hell to get to 16 before the summer gets here. What the fuck you mad about. Fellas, if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of those motherfuckers. What the fuck you complaining about. If there are any haters in here right now that don't have anybody to hate on, feel free to hate on me. Sit back and say my hair ain't luxurious when you know it is, bitch."

belladiabla13
08-20-09, 8:37 pm
Do work!

as Katt Williams said
"Live your motherfucking life. Get your hustle on. Understand people are gonna hate you regardless. Get that out of your head, that fantasy world where people ain't hating on you. You gotta be grateful. You need haters. What the fuck you complaining about. What the fuck do you think a haters job is? To fucking hate. So let them do their damn job. What the fuck you complaining about. Ladies if you got 14 women hating on you, you need to figure out how the hell to get to 16 before the summer gets here. What the fuck you mad about. Fellas, if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of those motherfuckers. What the fuck you complaining about. If there are any haters in here right now that don't have anybody to hate on, feel free to hate on me. Sit back and say my hair ain't luxurious when you know it is, bitch."

LMAO I love Katt..Thanks I needed the laugh..

noend
08-20-09, 10:55 pm
a good laugh is always great.

BryanSmash!
08-21-09, 1:46 am
Unless you find a really, really good gym, you're unfortunately going to run into that. I've found that if you tell the staff ahead of time to leave you alone, most of the time they will comply. If they don't, then a good hearty 'Fuck off' usually works lol.

SQUAT or DIE!
08-21-09, 1:55 am
two words since you live in that area: WESTSIDE BARBELL... most badass powerlifters in the country train there, might as well look if thats what your looking for...

belladiabla13
08-21-09, 9:11 am
To the best of the my knowledge Westside Barbell is by invite only.

belladiabla13
08-21-09, 9:13 am
Unless you find a really, really good gym, you're unfortunately going to run into that. I've found that if you tell the staff ahead of time to leave you alone, most of the time they will comply. If they don't, then a good hearty 'Fuck off' usually works lol.

I agree I am going to have to be more straight forward. I checked out this place called Old School Gym that is close to me and it was pretty bad ass. Top it off the manager is a female boxer/fitness competitor. She is a tough chic. Think that may end up being where I get a new membership.

naturalguy
08-21-09, 9:22 am
bella, keep doing your thing. People are always going to judge.

You are right, I've noticed more "cage fighters" walking around lol.

SQUAT or DIE!
08-21-09, 11:07 am
To the best of the my knowledge Westside Barbell is by invite only.

not sure, i know they have a probational type period... never hurts to look into it

BryanSmash!
08-22-09, 12:17 am
I agree I am going to have to be more straight forward. I checked out this place called Old School Gym that is close to me and it was pretty bad ass. Top it off the manager is a female boxer/fitness competitor. She is a tough chic. Think that may end up being where I get a new membership.

Sounds like that place is exactly what you're looking for.

freak-a-boo!!
08-22-09, 11:11 am
It is great to know that a mom, leave alone a female, is into hardcore lifting. Very unusual but indeed a great thing to do. This whole weight training thing apart from making you healthy also builds up great mental strength and focus. Our disciplined lifestyle carries over into other areas of our lives.

Don't worry about the haters ma'am we have all been through that and since you are such a rare species it is going to be even more in your life.

Keep your head high and continue the great work. We are all proud of you.

Aren't we brothers !!

belladiabla13
08-22-09, 4:56 pm
that is very sweet! thank u!!

TigerAce01
08-22-09, 5:10 pm
I have been spending my week trying out new gyms. My membership is up at mine and It simply does not fit. I will not renew it. I am finding though that every gym I walk into "trainers" are finding the need to impose their will upon me. I don't know if this is because I am a woman walking into the place alone? Or because I am a work in progress. Today I had one who insisted on watching me do my entire leg workout so he could tell me how I could do everything I was doing in 20 minutes flat and not use any weights. I am starting to develop a thicker skin when it comes to bs like this but it still really pisses me off. I did not even know how much prejudice there was even in gyms when it comes to people wanting to lift weights. Its a PX90 world. Everyone is a cage fighter(and no offense to those of you busting your asses to really do so). I guess a 33 year old mom of 6 looks a little odd under the iron to most people. I sure do catch hell from my friends and my family. "Why you wanna look like a dude"? Truth is all of it has really helped me along the way. Cause when they talk trash like that what I hear is "WE COULD NEVER DO WHAT YOUR DOING, SO WERE GOING TO HATE ON YOU". This is so much more than a journey of changing my body and making it stronger. I am becoming a stronger human being and learning that how I see me, is what really counts. So, I just wanna show my luv and appreciation to everyone else out there being hated on, but keeping on..

~One Love~
Bella

I see this all the time. Although I love CrossFit and it's effects on me, I would not force it on anyone, nor would I suggest it to someone who isn't looking toward the goals it is meant for. What you said about "everyone being a cage fighter" is sooo true and pisses me off everyday. Some guys think that slapping a TapOut t shirt on and having sleeve tats makes them a fighter. I don't even say I fight anymore because everyone is so used to hearing guys in the gym say it. And the trainers at my gym? Fuck em. You have no idea how many times I've been told "You're ovvertraining"...or how "You shouldn't squat that deep..." or how "Those aren't real pullups..."...yet they can't do half of what I do.

Honestly Bella, I think guys are intimidated by you when you walk in the gym and show all of them up. They want you to feel like you are doing something incorrectly, and they want to correct you...because that's what the "Club Boys" do.

Do your thing and let no one stop you.

Much Love.

-Ace

Madcat
08-22-09, 6:21 pm
Hey bella,
Arent you in Canal? If you are looking for some good training, I am still at the Groveport Rec. Go towards the Canal Home Depot/Walmart, pass it, and turn right on the London Groveport Rd and it ll be 1.5 miles down on the right.

I train 4 days a week tues-fri from 615-730+ just depending. I have 2 others that workout with me, and sometimes have a random or 2 showup. There are some serious ladies in there too now, mostly in the cutting area and cardio, but we have 2-3 that compete. Holy a girl I just met def. knows her stuff and would be awesome to workout with. I bet she would kill me actually lb for lb.

I ll change my training up a bit in a few weeks and hit m,t, t,f s,s bascilly cardio and weights nightly and more cardio in the AM. Get at me if you want more info. They also have a sitting room for the little ones.

Anyways, I am staying there just for ease and proximity even though I had thought about Powershack, its just too much $$ and too much of a drive.

I lived off Old BRice in CAnal and it is a 10 min drive to the Groveport Rec from there. 15 from Brice and 70. Hope that helps.

Westside is the place to be, but honestly, I dont think I could ever get in. I would love to.

belladiabla13
08-22-09, 6:54 pm
Hey bella,
Arent you in Canal? If you are looking for some good training, I am still at the Groveport Rec. Go towards the Canal Home Depot/Walmart, pass it, and turn right on the London Groveport Rd and it ll be 1.5 miles down on the right.

I train 4 days a week tues-fri from 615-730+ just depending. I have 2 others that workout with me, and sometimes have a random or 2 showup. There are some serious ladies in there too now, mostly in the cutting area and cardio, but we have 2-3 that compete. Holy a girl I just met def. knows her stuff and would be awesome to workout with. I bet she would kill me actually lb for lb.

I ll change my training up a bit in a few weeks and hit m,t, t,f s,s bascilly cardio and weights nightly and more cardio in the AM. Get at me if you want more info. They also have a sitting room for the little ones.

Anyways, I am staying there just for ease and proximity even though I had thought about Powershack, its just too much $$ and too much of a drive.

I lived off Old BRice in CAnal and it is a 10 min drive to the Groveport Rec from there. 15 from Brice and 70. Hope that helps.

Westside is the place to be, but honestly, I dont think I could ever get in. I would love to.

Im in Reynoldsburg very close to Patalaska so Groveport is a bit of a drive. I know the town well though, I grew up there. I'm leaning towards Power Shack in Pickerington or Old School in Patalaska. Love Old School but might not suit my needs without a spotter..Thanks for the info though..

belladiabla13
08-22-09, 6:57 pm
I see this all the time. Although I love CrossFit and it's effects on me, I would not force it on anyone, nor would I suggest it to someone who isn't looking toward the goals it is meant for. What you said about "everyone being a cage fighter" is sooo true and pisses me off everyday. Some guys think that slapping a TapOut t shirt on and having sleeve tats makes them a fighter. I don't even say I fight anymore because everyone is so used to hearing guys in the gym say it. And the trainers at my gym? Fuck em. You have no idea how many times I've been told "You're ovvertraining"...or how "You shouldn't squat that deep..." or how "Those aren't real pullups..."...yet they can't do half of what I do.

Honestly Bella, I think guys are intimidated by you when you walk in the gym and show all of them up. They want you to feel like you are doing something incorrectly, and they want to correct you...because that's what the "Club Boys" do.

Do your thing and let no one stop you.

Much Love.

-Ace

Thank you Ace. I just feel really blessed to have this forum and amazing people on my side.

violator
08-26-09, 8:36 am
gotta love the haters....let the haters hate...it feeds me...it feeds all of US....
dont let it get to you girl...uve been challeged and have risen above it..u now know the answer...its time to close that chapter of ur life & move forward to the new you...

the environment we work(out) in definitely plays a huge role in our development...u need to be challenged the right way...by this i mean having someone u respect push u & catch u when u feel like falling...but all that happened to u in the past is uve had cats challenge ur ethos and personal goals...and that only inhibits your true potential and stifles your growth...

its time to move on...uve recognized the problem...now its time to take action...once uve found where u belong u wont even remember the "days of the haters"....

"everyones a cage fighter..."....haha...so true, so true...

J-Dawg
08-26-09, 9:05 am
I know it's easier said than done but whenever I encounter people at the gym who want to disrupt my workout, I just tell them I'm under a tight schedule and that I appreciate whatever concern they might have but I don't have the time to talk. Depends on who it is, but for the most part, I just want to workout, lol. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good conversation any day, but when someone is working out, there's a job to be done and it shouldn't be disrupted. You can always tell 'em you've got your own routine and just want to do that. As for family and friends who comment, I just tell 'em that it's what I do and I'm not going to change b/c someone comments about it. If they have concerns, I address it as it's an opportunity to educate others about the lifestyle. For the most part, they are used to it. People are always going to gossip and talk about others as it's human nature to do so. Most of the time, if you do something that is different from the norm, you stand out so it's more common to be gossiped about. What it's taught me is to think before I gossip about others unless it's something positive or if someone is seeking advice. But every now and then I think we all fall prey to gossip and talking about others. I just don't pay much mind to the negative stuff others have to say. Keep doing what you're doing Bella.

McFly
08-26-09, 9:23 am
Keep doing what you're doing Bella.

gotta do you!!!

U Mad Brah?
08-26-09, 9:29 am
just got to keep your head straight and not let what others do or say affect you. keep your chin up and train hard.

Fury317
08-26-09, 9:31 am
I know it's easier said than done but whenever I encounter people at the gym who want to disrupt my workout, I just tell them I'm under a tight schedule and that I appreciate whatever concern they might have but I don't have the time to talk. Depends on who it is, but for the most part, I just want to workout, lol. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good conversation any day, but when someone is working out, there's a job to be done and it shouldn't be disrupted. You can always tell 'em you've got your own routine and just want to do that. As for family and friends who comment, I just tell 'em that it's what I do and I'm not going to change b/c someone comments about it. If they have concerns, I address it as it's an opportunity to educate others about the lifestyle. For the most part, they are used to it. People are always going to gossip and talk about others as it's human nature to do so. Most of the time, if you do something that is different from the norm, you stand out so it's more common to be gossiped about. What it's taught me is to think before I gossip about others unless it's something positive or if someone is seeking advice. But every now and then I think we all fall prey to gossip and talking about others. I just don't pay much mind to the negative stuff others have to say. Keep doing what you're doing Bella.

Perfect answer. J, after reading this, its creepy how similar we handle the situation haha. Someone always comes up and gives you the old head nod/I have to tell you you're doing something wrong. The head phones come out and before they can say anything I blurt out hey man Im kinda in a rush, I gotta keep moving, I'll catch up with you later. Fortunately this doesnt happen much anymore since Ive put on some good size, but it did happen when I was about 40 lbs lighter.

Sorry to hear about your situation Bella, unfortunately I know exactly the type of "trainers" youre talking about. Keep your chin up and keep pushing forward. You'll be good.

belladiabla13
08-26-09, 10:50 am
Perfect answer. J, after reading this, its creepy how similar we handle the situation haha. Someone always comes up and gives you the old head nod/I have to tell you you're doing something wrong. The head phones come out and before they can say anything I blurt out hey man Im kinda in a rush, I gotta keep moving, I'll catch up with you later. Fortunately this doesnt happen much anymore since Ive put on some good size, but it did happen when I was about 40 lbs lighter.

Sorry to hear about your situation Bella, unfortunately I know exactly the type of "trainers" youre talking about. Keep your chin up and keep pushing forward. You'll be good.

I figure they are just trying to make their money. Im not hating on them. I just dont like pushy people in general..

fenix237
08-27-09, 12:21 pm
hey bella- first i want to give you props for being real and following your own path- don't let others aggravate you, let it fuel you- this journey is yours not theirs...unfortunately, the gym is a place where everyone is measured up, by looks, by performance, by the tape measure- if you don't look like your in excellent shape, everyone assumes your clueless about eating/lifting, and are more than willing to "enlighten you" + tell you what you "need" to be doing- they do all this without ever knowing a thing about you, your goals etc... pretty arrogant on their part IMO.

keep doing what your doing bella!

arron1134
09-04-09, 12:40 am
Good shit!!! Those gym trainers are all a bunch of ****'s anyway (no offense to real ****'s). Tell them to beat it!