PDA

View Full Version : What's better, diet or exercise...

Wasteland
08-21-09, 2:39 pm
When it comes to shedding weight?

JUGGERNAUT
08-21-09, 2:40 pm
exercise

Wasteland
08-21-09, 2:47 pm
exercise

You sure?

JUGGERNAUT
08-21-09, 2:56 pm
You sure?

fact

Wasteland
08-21-09, 2:57 pm
fact

Wrong.

JUGGERNAUT
08-21-09, 3:03 pm
ok

MrMuscles22
08-21-09, 3:11 pm
A combination of BOTH diet and exercise

Wasteland
08-21-09, 3:14 pm

Of course, but which one is more critical?

IRBS
08-21-09, 3:21 pm
Diet...but when I say diet I dont mean Keto or Carb Cycling, I just mean making smarter choices. The main thing that will make the scale go down (or up) is diet manipulation.

Most people can do nothing in the gym, but if they manipulate their diets they will lose weight. Will they look like Bodybuilders or fitness minded people? No. But they will drop weight.

Do more, eat less. For most people, it really is that simple. Obviously, training and diet work hand in hand. But if we're talking just losing pounds on the scale, its diet.

Muscleguy93
08-21-09, 3:21 pm
diet... You can run, bike,swim but as long as you eat bad your not gonna get smaller. but if you eat "healthy" and keep cals low you will lose lots of weight even if you dont run, BUT you will lose muscle, since you dont exercise. run + lift + diet = ripped.

Wasteland
08-21-09, 3:23 pm
There are some interesting studies being done and it would appear that diet is more important than exercise.

GJN5002
08-21-09, 3:23 pm
Diet...but when I say diet I dont mean Keto or Carb Cycling, I just mean making smarter choices. The main thing that will make the scale go down (or up) is diet manipulation.

Most people can do nothing in the gym, but if they manipulate their diets they will lose weight. Will they look like Bodybuilders or fitness minded people? No. But they will drop weight.

Do more, eat less. For most people, it really is that simple. Obviously, training and diet work hand in hand. But if we're talking just losing pounds on the scale, its diet.

exactly. that why you see people on the treadmill day i and day out and they never look any better. most people get frustrated with weight loss goals because they dont understand how to eat.

fenix237
08-21-09, 3:34 pm
You sure?

fact

Wrong.

ok

LMFAO!!!!

Wasteland
08-21-09, 3:39 pm
exactly. that why you see people on the treadmill day i and day out and they never look any better. most people get frustrated with weight loss goals because they dont understand how to eat.

Yes. I think you're on the right track.

mark
08-21-09, 5:27 pm
When it comes to shedding weight?

Diet

To sum up what IRBS said... If you are in a calorie deficit you will loose weight, period.
I don't care how much you exercise, if you still eat more calories than you burn, than you'll gain weight.

Beach91
08-21-09, 6:19 pm
Diet
nuff said

h 3 L L b 0 y
08-22-09, 8:47 am
fact

Wrong.

Why? Exercise gets rid of visceral fat too. Sure you can lose weight with a good diet and no exercise, whereas you won't lose weight with exercise and a calorie surplus, but exercise is better health wise in my opinion (assuming someone knows the basics of a good diet).

weedlewott
08-22-09, 10:03 am
but exercise is better health wise in my opinion (assuming someone knows the basics of a good diet).

What you said right here.... The diet always plays the bigger part. IRBS, mark, and the other guys said it. You can workout as much as you want, but if you eat crap, you get crap. Plain and simple. For example, you can burn 2000 calories a day just sitting on your ass.. If you eat only 1500, you're gonna drop weight slowly. If you burn 3000 calories a day with exercise and all that good stuff, but you still eat fast food, junk food, and drink the hell outta sodas, you're wasting your time because you're gonna be over what you burn if not right at it. Now, if they get the basics of a good diet, as you mentioned, and you're exercising, then you'll get great results. It's just the diet is the underlying factor in all of it.

naturalguy
08-22-09, 10:14 am

Agreed.

There is no reason you should not be giving 100% to both of these

Fury317
08-22-09, 10:38 am
Both have to be incorporated when shedding weight CORRECTLY <--emphasis

Working in a gym, and training in a seperate gym (lol) I see too many people hop on the treadmill day in and day out for hours and hours. Sure they are putting in the time, but when you go home and stuff your face with shit, youre going to get no where. Same goes for a guy/gal who's diet is flawless and trains like a puss. Granted, they will most likely look and feel better, they wont achieve what they want to in the time period set for themselves- it will take a lot longer.

What most PTs and gym folk tell you is calories in < calories out to lose fat. WRONG!!!!! To lose weight, sure, but go ahead and canabalize that hard earned muscle. A calorie is not a calorie, period. To get shredded and maintain your muscle mass, both training and diet need to be in check at all times. Emphasis needs to be put on HIIT cardio and intense weight training sessions. And outside of the gym is where to real work takes place- testing your mind and willpower. How bad do you want those veins in your abs? Or would that Snickers bar be better?

In the offseason is when you experiment to see how your body responds best to certain foods, utilize those foods during your prep, and train balls to the wall (cardio and weights) and you'll get where you want to be. END OF STORY

mritter3
08-22-09, 10:43 am
diet all the way....you can train for hours a day, but if your diet sucks...it will show, can get shredded without the proper diet and thats a fact.

Ady
08-22-09, 2:30 pm
Definitely diet.

prowrestler
08-22-09, 4:47 pm
diet matters more no matter what your goal is.

11-05-09, 1:57 pm
Nothing like threads asking leading questions *chuckles*.

http://bjsm.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/bjsm.2009.065557v1

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/00958.2009

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19587114

Leading the thread a little more.

RighteousDude
11-05-09, 2:23 pm
1. Diet
2. Exercise

No amount of exercise will overcome a bad diet.

Peace.

11-05-09, 2:24 pm
1. Diet
2. Exercise

No amount of exercise will overcome a bad diet.

Peace.

That seems to pretty much sum it up.

Dr.Platypus
11-05-09, 4:05 pm
Diet. You can loose weight in diet alone, not on exercise alone.

Now dieting for bodybuilding purposes... they are probably equal.

jesse45690
11-05-09, 4:25 pm
I would say both go hand in hand, least in terms of this forvm

arab910
11-05-09, 10:19 pm
Diet
nuff said

yuuuttttt. for sure

msktyshha
11-05-09, 10:24 pm
Can be done with either diet or exercise. but u achieve best results when u do both

msktyshha
11-05-09, 10:28 pm
Diet. You can loose weight in diet alone, not on exercise alone.

Now dieting for bodybuilding purposes... they are probably equal.

lets say u consume 2000 cals a day. ur maintainence cals are 1700(lets just pretend) and u burn 500 through exercise. Would u loose weight or no?