PDA

View Full Version : Won't be training for a while

dominate77
08-21-09, 9:47 pm
i have a torn labrum and my orthropedic surgeon wants me to get arthroscopic surgery. I can't play football and definitely can't do any upper body. all i'm going to do is legs (minus squats/hack squats) and back extensions and abbs. i already switched from the pak over to some shitty cheap vitamin while i can't lift and i'll just double up the dose on that.

i want to preserve as much muscle as possible and not get fat. i do low intensity cardio 3-5 times a week for 30-50 minutes. i'm thinking ill eat more fatty meals and only have carbs a few times a day like 2-3 meals and than maybe once a week eat a meal or two with whatever the hell i want. Does this sound like a good plan?

RighteousDude
08-21-09, 11:52 pm
And I have to ask why? The Pak is a staple - Just because you can't lift doesn't mean you should sacrifice, but You pay's ya money and takes ya choice. I would stay with the Pak and add some EAA's.
[QUOTE]
i want to preserve as much muscle as possible and not get fat. i do low intensity cardio 3-5 times a week for 30-50 minutes. I'm thinking ill eat more fatty meals and only have carbs a few times a day like 2-3 meals and than maybe once a week eat a meal or two with whatever the hell i want. Does this sound like a good plan?

Eating more Kcals than you burn will add fat.

stumblin54
08-22-09, 1:11 am
If it were me I'd keep the (healthy) fats high and drop the carbs, because I know I hang onto muscle a hell of a lot better with higher fats. Anyway, don't sweat not workin' upper body, you'll be so impressed with the extra definition you'll be seeing in your legs it won't matter. I fractured my humerus in high school football pretty severely, couldn't do upper body for who knows how long, and came out better because of it. I attribute my legs today to that point in my life when I focused solely on them, it made a big difference in strength and size and made me realize the importance of leg training and the incredible effect it has on the body's condition as a whole. Good luck, keep me posted on how it's coming.

Stumblin

SQUAT or DIE!
08-22-09, 1:16 am
welcome to my hell..i had to tzke 9 mnths off (upper body) for torn labrums onboth shlders... i trained legs and hit cardio 3-4x a week and managed to keep my weight in check... also did keto for a while i was out too, didnt hurt

dominate77
08-22-09, 11:43 pm
And I have to ask why? The Pak is a staple - Just because you can't lift doesn't mean you should sacrifice, but You pay's ya money and takes ya choice. I would stay with the Pak and add some EAA's.

yes i know i do like the pak, but i truly don't think i will need it when all i can do is leg presses/leg extensions and leg curls/hyper extensions/calves/abbs. if i feel like the cheap multi isn't doing it's job i'll switch back, no big deal.

If it were me I'd keep the (healthy) fats high and drop the carbs, because I know I hang onto muscle a hell of a lot better with higher fats. Anyway, don't sweat not workin' upper body, you'll be so impressed with the extra definition you'll be seeing in your legs it won't matter. I fractured my humerus in high school football pretty severely, couldn't do upper body for who knows how long, and came out better because of it. I attribute my legs today to that point in my life when I focused solely on them, it made a big difference in strength and size and made me realize the importance of leg training and the incredible effect it has on the body's condition as a whole. Good luck, keep me posted on how it's coming.

Stumblin
nice that was my reasoning for eating more fatty meals.
could you still squat with your injury? i really wish legs were a body part that was smaller because mine are already out of proportion to my upper body lol. But like you said, i can work on trying to bring out definition in them which is something i've never done before so that could be pretty cool.

welcome to my hell..i had to tzke 9 mnths off (upper body) for torn labrums onboth shlders... i trained legs and hit cardio 3-4x a week and managed to keep my weight in check... also did keto for a while i was out too, didnt hurt
9 months wow! i'm hoping for a 2 month recovery, 3 months tops! the guys i've talked to with similar injurys have all said it was about that long so you just threw that average out the window lol

SQUAT or DIE!
08-22-09, 11:59 pm
i took 3 months for each shlder, but didnt lift in between operations... total of 9, should ahve taken 10-12.. i rushed it and am suffering occasionally... do not attempt to rush this or think ur ready for at least 3 unless you heal really fast..