PDA

View Full Version : 5/3/1 Assistance work

t_mh
08-22-09, 3:26 pm
Hey, I'm starting a 5/3/1 soon and am trying to put the assistance exercises together. The ones Wendler suggested seemed ok, but I wanted to see what everyone on here who has done/ is doing a 5/3/1 likes for their assistance exercises. Thanks.

Vaze_06
08-22-09, 3:27 pm
Hey, I'm starting a 5/3/1 soon and am trying to put the assistance exercises together. The ones Wendler suggested seemed ok, but I wanted to see what everyone on here who has done/ is doing a 5/3/1 likes for their assistance exercises. Thanks.

go ask IRBS.. he can help u out with that

J A Y
08-22-09, 3:48 pm
not an expert YET..

the accesory im running is what wendler suggests as the boring but big...

theres a few different percentages floating around though i think.. is what i have read

there are quite a few people on the boards who run it.. as v said IRBS is a very useful source and SMaLLnWeaK has helped me alot.. sure there will be people chip in with other suggestions aswel

shizz702
08-22-09, 3:55 pm
Depends on your goals, are you doing it for pure strength gains, or strength and bodybuilding purposes?

If for pure strength, 1-2 assistnace lifts are recommended, I'd add in weighted dips, chins, db rows, and heavy ab work to the mix.

If you want to add some bodybuilding into it, add some arm and calf work.

t_mh
08-22-09, 4:14 pm
Thanks guys. I might ask irbs and small. Shizz, I wrote down a tentative plan and included all those exercises. I may throw in some arms and calves.

ghost
08-22-09, 8:19 pm
stick to the assistance work that is listed in the manual, overcomplicating this SIMPLE method, fucks it all up.

T. Kemble
08-22-09, 8:40 pm
Thanks guys. I might ask irbs and small. Shizz, I wrote down a tentative plan and included all those exercises. I may throw in some arms and calves.

arms and calves! my man they will grow with all the compound work... remember exactly what 5/3/1 is.. 'the simpleist and most effective way for training for raw strength'. sure you will gain size but it is not a 'pump you up' kind of program, thats what the heavy weights are for.

i just finished the 'triumvirate' assistance work template today and il be deloading next week, im going to use the 'i dont feel like doing shit' program the next 6 weeks (i train mon-wed-fri) or (tue-thur-sat) im going to throw in a full raw powerlifting meet at the end of the 6 weeks post deload as well.

make 5/3/1 work for you.

you can really do a whole year cycle off of it without getting bored.

month 1. boring but big
month 2. triumvirate
month 3. i dont feel like doing shit
month 4. bodybuilding
month 5. exc...

my first 6 week cycle yielded:
military press: 210 x 2 to 190 x 8
deadlift: 440 x 1 to 405 x 7
bench: 340 x 1 to 305 x 11, 315 x 9
squat: 440 x 1 to 405 x 6

good luck man.

t_mh
08-22-09, 11:58 pm
Thanks guys. So, you guys don't think it's reasonable to use anything but wendler's suggested templates? He made it sound like you could pick.

t_mh
08-23-09, 12:16 am
And what is the bodybuilding template? On other forums I see it listed as:

Squat Day

Hack Squat: 4 sets of 10-20 reps
Leg Extensions: 4 sets of 10-30 reps
Leg Curls: 4 sets of 10-15 reps
Weighted Sit-ups: 4 sets of 10 reps

or

Leg Press – 4 sets of 10-20 reps
Leg Extensions – 4 sets of 10-30 reps
Leg Curls – 4 sets of 10-15 reps
Weighted Sit-ups – 4 sets of 10 reps

Bench Press Day

DB Bench Press: 4 sets of 10-20 reps
Dips (weighted): 4 sets of 8-15 reps
Fly's: 4 sets of 12 reps
Triceps Pushdowns: 4 sets of 10-20 reps

or

DB Incline Press – 4 sets of 10-20 reps
Dips (weighted) – 4 sets of 8-15 reps
Fly's – 4 sets of 12 reps
Triceps Extensions – 4 sets of 10-20 reps

Deadlift Day

Chins: 4 sets of 10-12 reps
DB Rows: 4 sets of 15 reps/arm
Back Raises: 4 sets of 10 reps (with bar behind neck)
Hanging Leg Raises: 4 sets of 15 reps

or

Lat Pulls – 4 sets of 10-12 reps
Bent Over Rows – 4 sets of 15 reps/arm
Reverse Hyperextensions – 4 sets of 12 reps
Hanging Leg Raises – 4 sets of 15 reps

Military Press Day

DB Military Press: 4 sets of 10 reps
Upright Rows: 4 sets of 10 reps
Side Laterals: 4 sets of 10-15 reps
Barbell Curls: 4 sets of 10 reps

or

Hammer Machine Military – 4 sets of 10 reps
Rope Upright Rows – 4 sets of 10 reps
Rear Laterals – 4 sets of 10-15 reps
DB Curls – 4 sets of 10 reps

But I don't see this in the book. The closest I see is the Periodization Bible, which is #4.

ghost
08-23-09, 12:29 pm
Thanks guys. So, you guys don't think it's reasonable to use anything but wendler's suggested templates? He made it sound like you could pick.

That is why there are a number of assistance work templates listed in the book. Choose from one of the templates, and stick to it. Your workouts will be finished a lot faster and with more intensity and you will see some solid results. just stick to the program and do not overcomplicate it. That is precisely where people fail using this program. It seems so simple because IT IS.

shizz702
08-23-09, 12:32 pm
That is precisely where people fail using this program. It seems so simple because IT IS.

Lol that is where most people fail to do any program period.

I've said it before and I'll say it again (not directing this at you t_mh, just saying this as a generalization), DON'T OVERTHINK THIS SHIT! Just go lift some fucking weights!

t_mh
08-23-09, 12:45 pm
Alright, fair enough. I just like to get in a variety of exercises and, since the point of assistance work is balance, I figured it would be reasonable to pick my own.

mark
08-23-09, 12:53 pm
And what is the bodybuilding template? On other forums I see it listed as:

But I don't see this in the book. The closest I see is the Periodization Bible, which is #4.

The "bb'ing template" was something he outlined in the 3 days a week manual but is not really a true template per se.

Alternate between a month of BBB and Trivumtrate... Or just simply do BBB till you cease to make gains, and then jump to the Trivumtrate... Then once you cease to make gains on either of those templates, than worry about adding additional stuff.

t_mh
08-23-09, 12:56 pm
Ok, that seems reasonable. You don't think it's too focused on too few exercises for someone like me who has some bodybuilding goals?

mark
08-23-09, 2:40 pm
Ok, that seems reasonable. You don't think it's too focused on too few exercises for someone like me who has some bodybuilding goals?

Nope... Esp with how young/junior you are in the lifting world