PDA

View Full Version : Is a lifting belt allowed in "Raw" competitions?

jon_carter13
08-23-09, 10:25 pm
Hey guys, did a little research and couldn't come up with a definate answer. I've seen some people say that belts are allowed in Raw competitions, and others who say no. I'm sure it depends on the governing body, but what is the general consensus amongst the lifting community? Is it still considered "Raw" lifting when you use a belt? Thanks for your answers.

mcbeast
08-23-09, 10:27 pm
Hey guys, did a little research and couldn't come up with a definate answer. I've seen some people say that belts are allowed in Raw competitions, and others who say no. I'm sure it depends on the governing body, but what is the general consensus amongst the lifting community? Is it still considered "Raw" lifting when you use a belt? Thanks for your answers.

Usually raw is belt/sleeve/wrap type deal.

I know strongman belts are almost always allowed, and sometimes straps.

Big Wides
08-23-09, 10:31 pm

Utlimatley it comes down to whatever Fed you lift in as to what they allow in their RAW class.

To me what constitutes as a RAW lifter or a RAW lift are the following:

Squat - belt and/or knee wraps
Bench - belt and/or wrist wraps
Deadlift - belt

The difference between a RAW lifter and a Geared lifter is the fact that the RAW lifter goes out and competes in a singlet with the supportive gear that has been condoned by the Fed they are competing in. A Geared lifter is someone who competes in either Single Ply or Multi-Ply Squat Suits, Bench Shirts, Deadlift Suits, Briefs, ect.

Just because you wear supportive gear that doesnt make you not RAW, it just makes you a smart lifter for using the proper supportive gear to prevent injury. And yes for those wondering I am a RAW powerlifter (if you couldn't guess)

Cstlfx
08-23-09, 11:18 pm
Yes, a belt is generally considered Raw. You'll have to check the rule book for the Federation you plan on lifting in just to make sure.

Around me the federations all say a belt is Raw. There are differences amongst them though. One fed just allows belt and wrist wraps. Another allows belt, wrist wraps, and knee sleeves. Another allows belt, wrist wraps, and knee wraps. So, make sure to check the rule book.