PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Pro-Am

BigChrisF
08-24-09, 9:53 pm
I've been reading about this year's Pro-Am and some interesting things have come up.

Shawn Frankl set a new all time total record 2630 @198

Chuck Vogelpohl set a new squat record 1140 @242

The whole controversy around judging and now Dave Hoff

Any thoughts about the Pro-Am? Anyone here attend?

BryanSmash!
08-26-09, 6:55 am
Don't have any thoughts on it and didn't attend, but holy shit! 2630@198! Crazy!

Shamus11B
08-26-09, 7:09 am
Isnt shawn Frankl from Nebraska??? I think he trains at Big Iron Gym thats like 3 miles from my house. I am eventually gunna train there when i have the size to fit there but for now im about 30 or 40 lbs short lol.

IRBS
08-26-09, 10:40 am
I thought there was some absolutely amazing lifting that happened at the Pro/Am which has been muddied by the fact that one guy chose to cheat. I would like to compete on the Am day next year if I am ready. I think the Pro/Am is the best MultiPly meet out there, hands down. Just because Dave Hoff made a terrible decision doesnt mean the meet should suffer in the future. This could have happened anywhere. I think, for the most part, judging in the Squat was pretty spot on, yes, a few slipped by, but they always do and always will. Overall though, I would give the judging a thumbs up....it's getting much better. I think MultiPly judging is getting better accross the board as well, mostly thanks to the Pro/Am's.

Some Observations:

Frankl is a freak...2600+@198 is just stupid strong.

Hoss has a legit shot at breaking the all time Squat record. His 1160 was easy, I think 1200 couldve easily gone his way that day. Plus, he is a stand up guy for what he is doing with his prize money.

Chuck V is still the man....1140@242 is rediculous.

Big Iron is really killing it these days...theyre doing something right.

Just my thoughts,
IRBS