PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding Migraines like the Plague

JeremyT
08-27-09, 3:27 pm
Hey bro's,

Im seriously at the end of my rope here. Here's the skinny. If I workout any of the muscles on my back/traps/neck, the next day I'm bed ridden the whole day with the worst migraine you can possibly imagine. I used to call them my "wednesday migraines", as they came after every back day, and the whole day is a write off.

I can workout my legs, bi's/tri's, and chest without getting a migraine. Shoulders/back always seem to use my traps, and those destroy my head. I went to physio for months to try and fix this, but it just kinda maintained it, not really fixed much. I have had to give up working out as I couldn't handle the migraines and my 12 hour a day outside job.

The question is. What would you bro's do? Is it bad to workout just what I stated, as I feel like that might throw my body so out of wack, but if I hit back at all, Migraine.

Does anyone else get anything like this? I see you all shrugging 405, and you have no idea how jealous I am. I have worked with two different personal trainers watching my form for things, and its not the form thats the issue. No one seems to have a clue what to do.

Any ideas?

LegendKillerJosh
08-27-09, 4:36 pm
Hey bro's,

Im seriously at the end of my rope here. Here's the skinny. If I workout any of the muscles on my back/traps/neck, the next day I'm bed ridden the whole day with the worst migraine you can possibly imagine. I used to call them my "wednesday migraines", as they came after every back day, and the whole day is a write off.

I can workout my legs, bi's/tri's, and chest without getting a migraine. Shoulders/back always seem to use my traps, and those destroy my head. I went to physio for months to try and fix this, but it just kinda maintained it, not really fixed much. I have had to give up working out as I couldn't handle the migraines and my 12 hour a day outside job.

The question is. What would you bro's do? Is it bad to workout just what I stated, as I feel like that might throw my body so out of wack, but if I hit back at all, Migraine.

Does anyone else get anything like this? I see you all shrugging 405, and you have no idea how jealous I am. I have worked with two different personal trainers watching my form for things, and its not the form thats the issue. No one seems to have a clue what to do.

Any ideas?

You probably have either a pinched nerve or sciatica. Maybe see a chiropractor.

JeremyT
08-27-09, 4:48 pm
You probably have either a pinched nerve or sciatica. Maybe see a chiropractor.

Did that, no pinched nerves, or any other nerve issues.

rainwave
08-27-09, 6:23 pm
Hmm... I have had these headaches before, on a dropset of squats I got them... wasn't breathing properly for starters. Took a week off and they went away with better breathing technique and rest. Not sure if this is your case though... the ones I had were instant (in the gym).

LKJ may be right though man, or at least to some extent. If you say you get a headache when you work your traps (or subsequently, any part of your neck) you may have a pinched nerve, or may have torn a muscle there. Since the base of your head is connected to your trap/neck area, it's the only thing that I can see. Perhaps have yourself re-checked, or go to a physiotherapist too. Personally, I would stop working out that area if all I got out of it was a bad migraine that would not allow me to do anything for the next few days. It's not worth it to me.

Other than that, all I can say is to make sure you are breathing properly during all your exercises, try icing down your muscles after you workout (the ones that bother you), and to take it easy on yourself for now until you find out the problem. But since I am not a licensed medical doctor, I may be just treading water with my words.

Good luck bro.

t_mh
08-28-09, 12:50 am
Have you seen an actual doctor?