PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Issue

Senny
08-28-09, 5:55 am
Hi guys,

Got a quick question to bounce off you, but before that a little background. Last night I was doing incline DB bench. I worked my way up through 10kg - 25kg warming up before moving onto my worksets of 27.5kg dumbbells. Now I managed to get most of the reps but as I came to my limit my right arm locked out while my left was struggling(it is my weakest side). My spotter wasn't really paying attention and my left arm started to rotate backwards while I was trying to fight it back into position. I shouted at him to take the weight but he took a few seconds to register this in which time I could hear crunching/grinding in my shoulder area.

After he took the weight my arm was tingling and was pretty much not able to be raised straight above my head. I went and got ice on it and called the workout quits, done some cardio and went home. At home I put more ice on my arm untill I went to bed and also had a few ibuprofen to kill any inflammation.

Today my arm is in more pain, it is movable through certain ranges of motion but again any fast movements or movements near above my head will cause it to tweak.

Onto my question, is there any sort of rehab I can do on my shoulder while I let for recover? Or is it better to just let it rest and take a week or so off from lifting? Shoulder dislocations are out of the question due to not being able to move above my head, will put them in when I am able to rotate my arm freely. I know it is probably a good idea to go see a doctor but last time I did that about an ache/pain they didn't really give me much info and just said rest. I think it would be better to go see a sports physio for a better assessment but that will have to wait until money becomes available.

The area where it hurts during movement is around the rear deltoid area but I think it is more a ligament issue than a muscular issue.

Any advice or insight would help greatly. Cheers lads.

theharjmann
08-28-09, 6:29 am
Hi guys,

Got a quick question to bounce off you, but before that a little background. Last night I was doing incline DB bench. I worked my way up through 10kg - 25kg warming up before moving onto my worksets of 27.5kg dumbbells. Now I managed to get most of the reps but as I came to my limit my right arm locked out while my left was struggling(it is my weakest side). My spotter wasn't really paying attention and my left arm started to rotate backwards while I was trying to fight it back into position. I shouted at him to take the weight but he took a few seconds to register this in which time I could hear crunching/grinding in my shoulder area.

After he took the weight my arm was tingling and was pretty much not able to be raised straight above my head. I went and got ice on it and called the workout quits, done some cardio and went home. At home I put more ice on my arm untill I went to bed and also had a few ibuprofen to kill any inflammation.

Today my arm is in more pain, it is movable through certain ranges of motion but again any fast movements or movements near above my head will cause it to tweak.

Onto my question, is there any sort of rehab I can do on my shoulder while I let for recover? Or is it better to just let it rest and take a week or so off from lifting? Shoulder dislocations are out of the question due to not being able to move above my head, will put them in when I am able to rotate my arm freely. I know it is probably a good idea to go see a doctor but last time I did that about an ache/pain they didn't really give me much info and just said rest. I think it would be better to go see a sports physio for a better assessment but that will have to wait until money becomes available.

The area where it hurts during movement is around the rear deltoid area but I think it is more a ligament issue than a muscular issue.

Any advice or insight would help greatly. Cheers lads.

rest

if it gets worse get it checked out

fucking stupid spotters....let that be a lesson.....especially when gettign a spot for dangerous exercised dont just pick any old Joey.

Senny
08-28-09, 6:40 am
The spotter is a good friend and occasional workout partner of mine, although after this I think I will be asking someone more experienced to spot.

BryanSmash!
08-28-09, 7:05 am
In the future, if you are benching DBs and one gets away from you, just drop the damn thing. See a doc if your pain doesnt get better.

Senny
08-28-09, 7:45 am
I would have dropped it but it was at a point where if I had dropped it it would have came crashing down on the back of my shoulder and potentially caused more damage. My whole reasoning behind a spotter was to stop me needing to drop the weight but I will be keeping that in mind next time(if I decide to go back to incline DB bench). Cheers guys.

BryanSmash!
08-28-09, 8:02 am
I would have dropped it but it was at a point where if I had dropped it it would have came crashing down on the back of my shoulder and potentially caused more damage. My whole reasoning behind a spotter was to stop me needing to drop the weight but I will be keeping that in mind next time(if I decide to go back to incline DB bench). Cheers guys.

Cool. If you drop a DB on your spotters foot, he'll probably pay more attention next time lol.

Offerstoff
08-28-09, 4:09 pm
I'm no expert, but on a basic level it appears to be a rotator cuff strain. Having some trouble associating the diagrams in my anatomy book to narrow it down. I would suggest to keep ice on it and try out some stretches for the rotator cuff (just don't get agressive with it, they are really sensitive).

Your typical practitioner probably won't be able to diagnose the problem if it persists, so either a physical therapist or physiotherapist would be the one to contact.

Get well soon ^_^

loligagger
08-29-09, 9:58 pm
as far as the bad spotter, its one of the beauties of DBs, pushem outwards or just droppem. i know this may not have been your first thoughts cause maybe you thought you could push out your last rep. also, if you feel like your falling backwards, change your grip to a neutral grip and bring it towards your sides. i do this when i have no spotter and i know i may not be able to grind out my last rep.

as far as your injury, let it rest, its probably just a pull or a strain. with good rest, youll be ready in a week for your next chest day

get better, hoped this helped

Ady
08-30-09, 8:27 am
The same basically happened to me. I was doing flats with 2x37.5kg and on the last rep my shoulder became weak and i experienced the same issues as you. After seeing the doc turned out i had torn my posterior labrum, go to the doc and get it checked out no harm in billing a check up to the NHS :)

Senny
09-01-09, 4:11 am
I'm probably going to have to go to the doc, although the pain is easing when I feel my shoulder at the top it feels as if there is a bone or something solid popping up. On my right shoulder that isn't there which leads me to believe that something is most definitely amiss.

Senny
09-08-09, 2:49 am
Well I thought I would give you all an update as to what the problems were. I went to see a physio last night and she told me I have a torn AC ligament and rotator cuff. I also have a impacted right vertibrae in my spine which is giving me back pain. Least I know what it is now and I can work with the physio to get it sorted.

LegendKillerJosh
09-08-09, 1:11 pm
u should have just dropped the db's

But anyway, I always take a 25lb plate between sets of bench and do some shoulder presses and raises to keep my shoulders pumped and I do arm circles with a 10lb plate to keep it loose.