PDA

View Full Version : Squat Injuries

Kevlar
08-28-09, 9:32 am
Last November I injured my back on freeweight squats. It has never been the same. My leg routine has been re-vamped to

Leg press (last set to 1125 x 3)
Smith machine squats / or power squat machine
stiff legged deads
seated calves
standing calves
single leg extentions
single leg curls
sinngle leg calves
3 sets of drop sets w leg extentions

Question: With taking out freeweight squats, is this truly going to limit my growth potential?
What do you guys have to say? Thanks

The_Beast
08-28-09, 9:39 am
let me get this straight.
You can leg press(full repetition, knees to chest) 1125 pounds, yet you can't do a free weight barbell squat...

What type of back injury did occur?

I would suggest, doing far more Heavy Core and Lower back work to keep this injury from haunting you even further.

sanga
08-28-09, 9:39 am
I`m surprised you can leg press heavy but can not squat.

I prefer full range back squats as I consider them the daddy of leg exercises but if I couldn`t do them for some reason then I`d do hacks, front squats and leg press, the leg press last if I had a bad back so I didn`t have to use as heavy a weight, I`d go for all out sets to positive failure and maybe drop sets, something like the following.

Leg ext 4-5 warm up sets

Hack squats 15-12-10-8 then a drop set
Front squats 2 sets to positive failure with a rep range of 20-30 reps
Leg press the same as front squats

Hams before quads as most peoples hams are weak, I`ve never seen over developed hams, some pros have excellent hams but they are in proportion to their quads but most lifters have underdeveloped hams in proportion to their quads.

If you can still walk properly after the above routine then you short changed yourself with the weights and need to increase or increase the reps, all sets should leave you wanting to go home, lol

Kevlar
08-28-09, 7:01 pm
Well after seeing the doc I was told it was muscular and not a disc or anything. Leg press does not put pressure on my back at all. I know 22 plates plus the slider seems crazy, but I have been doing the leg press for 13 years straight. It's my widow maker 5th set for 3-4 reps. I wonder if my back got fucked up on squats cause my frame is small. Although I am 5 foot 7 and 205, I started in Aug 1996 at 135lbs as a skinny guy. I believe in going all out with safety incl, but my back is so prone to injury after that first bad one. My alternate plan has been smith machine squats with lower weight after pre-exhausting my legs after leg press. I dont know guys, but I can feel it tightening badly with even 225 on free weight squats... It sucks cause i know squats are king