PDA

View Full Version : you dont get it

adog
08-30-09, 1:26 pm
This is a letter i wrote to vent to the people i work with. i pissed some people off and also made a few GET IT:

YOU DON’T “GET IT”

What is “IT”? Hell if I know, few get it, most don’t. The “IT” is something different for all of us in the muscle and fitness arena. For some it is one key thing and for others a combination of things. The one thing we have in common is being surrounded by others who don’t “GET IT”!!!

There are the days when your schedule is so crazy with family, work and responsibilities that you have no idea when you will make it to the gym for a reasonable workout that is not a waste of time. “Its OK missing one day won’t kill you.” Haven’t we all been told that? We have already had our off day and this workout has to get done today. We’ve taken our vitamins, our protein drinks are made and missing it will throw off the rest of our week’s workouts. You don’t get it.

The dreaded days at work or at home with the birthday parties, anniversaries and holiday get togethers always pose that all to familiar challenge. Everyone brings the food you cannot allow yourself to have. It smells so good, yet you feel so sick watching people gorge themselves. “Live a little, it won’t kill you” They see good food, you see fat, calories and weight that you will have to burn in addition to what you normally do. You quietly eat your spinach salad with salmon and a drop of viniagrette for flavor plus some blackberries for dessert while trying to ignore the stares and comments. You don’t get it.

You look in the mirror after your shower and instead of seeing the weight you have lost or the muscles you have built, you see that pinch of fat on your waist that you can’t make disappear no matter how many crunches you do. What about the asymmetry in your delts? Now a pimple and the show is only 2 days away. “Can’t you be happy that you are healthy, why do you knit pick every little imperfection?” Have they spent the hours in the gym pulling, pushing and squeezing? Have they been out at dinner with friends and drank your water with lemon and a bare chicken breast to lean out for that show? There’s a difference between their healthy and ours. Call us vain, self-conscious, addicted, whatever but just know that you don’t “GET IT”

Finally there are those few who do get it. These are your friends, confidantes and pillars. These are the people who make you feel your best. They know why you have to make it to the gym. They understand how you are made fun of for not having that piece of birthday cake. They see what you see when they look in the mirror as well. These are your people. They are few and far between; when you find them keep them. Because as we all know not everyone “GETS IT”

JeremyT
08-30-09, 4:21 pm
Amen brother. Spend far too many hours in front of the mirror myself staring trying to find every imperfection I could fix. But thats just what we do.

Alk
08-30-09, 5:56 pm
Spend far too many hours in front of the mirror myself staring trying to find every imperfection I could fix. But thats just what we do.

x2

Awesome first post adog, welcome to the FORVM.

jesse45690
08-30-09, 10:32 pm
Well put my friend.

D-Kev
08-31-09, 12:33 am
Great letter!

Just curious as to what provoked the letter, who you sent it to and how?
(email it or print em out for people...?)

Bootleg
08-31-09, 9:50 am
great post op.

adog
08-31-09, 12:02 pm
handed out the letter. email would get me in trouble. i was fed up with the comments and other bs. i got tired of answering the same questions. i went from 300lb.s to 195 and 9%bf. its not hard its the commitment to the training.