PDA

View Full Version : The "angry back off set!"

shizz702
08-31-09, 3:11 pm
Fellas, one thing to consider if ever failing a PR attempt is to turn that negative into a positive.

Strip some weight off the bar and show that motherfucker who's boss and go for a rep PR.

Today I went for 185 on the strict standing press, failed it midway. At first I was ready to throw in the towel but instead stripped it down to 155 and hit a rep PR of 8 reps.

By doing that not only are you instilling continual progress, but you are also regaining confidence over the previous failed attempt.

Give it a try, I promise you won't regret it.

J Wong
08-31-09, 3:34 pm
Fellas, one thing to consider if ever failing a PR attempt is to turn that negative into a positive.

Strip some weight off the bar and show that motherfucker who's boss and go for a rep PR.

Today I went for 185 on the strict standing press, failed it midway. At first I was ready to throw in the towel but instead stripped it down to 155 and hit a rep PR of 8 reps.

By doing that not only are you instilling continual progress, but you are also regaining confidence over the previous failed attempt.

Give it a try, I promise you won't regret it.

I do this often.

shizz702
08-31-09, 6:51 pm
I do this often.

I'm going to start doing it more often lol. Even if PR attempts are succesful, high rep back offs are great whenever feeling up for it.

BryanSmash!
08-31-09, 9:26 pm
Always thinkin! Good stuff.

mcbeast
08-31-09, 9:36 pm
I'm going to start doing it more often lol. Even if PR attempts are succesful, high rep back offs are great whenever feeling up for it.

Deadlift. Last 500 fail (Just bad form) I got angry and did 405x15. I actually felt better after. And proceeded to 475 for singles. Lol.

I enjoy backoff sets. Alot. Plus its another chance for people in your gym to get there moneys worth and watch you since they probably arent focusing on themselves.

shizz702
08-31-09, 9:47 pm
Deadlift. Last 500 fail (Just bad form) I got angry and did 405x15. I actually felt better after. And proceeded to 475 for singles. Lol.

I enjoy backoff sets. Alot. Plus its another chance for people in your gym to get there moneys worth and watch you since they probably arent focusing on themselves.

405x15 is damn good! Can't wait til I can rep it like that.

My current high rep goal is 315x20. I'll have to make a vid of that when I'm ready!

mcbeast
08-31-09, 9:52 pm
405x15 is damn good! Can't wait til I can rep it like that.

My current high rep goal is 315x20. I'll have to make a vid of that when I'm ready!

Nice bro. Youll get that soon. Do you do dead stop reps?

shizz702
08-31-09, 10:05 pm
Nice bro. Youll get that soon. Do you do dead stop reps?

Yep, I reset for each rep, and no straps.

mcbeast
08-31-09, 10:24 pm

Thats what i like to hear.

LegendKillerJosh
08-31-09, 11:15 pm
I've done that. Last time I attempted 365 on the bench I failed, so I dropped to 315 and did close grip bench presses for 6 reps.

BryanSmash!
09-02-09, 6:57 am

No straps, good grip!

t_mh
09-02-09, 12:28 pm
That's a good idea, shizz.

prowrestler
09-02-09, 4:31 pm
ego = up
injury risk = sky rockets

if u failed there is a reason, id rather spend time finding out why i failed then take out anger on a barbell ive already beat before.

i see this with a bunch of new guys all the time....fail MISERABLY lol on a bench 1 rep max so they strip it to a plate and bench it....so what? its a fuckin plate man! you should be benching that like 2 months into training. they cant take they ego shot and simply accept they failed.

id much rather just say ''next time ill be ready to kill" and put all my energy into my following exercises then waste energy and tax my CNS. you hit prs when your at your best, not after a failed attempt at a max, your to drained.

train smart.

Altered Beast
09-02-09, 4:42 pm
Personally, I would do a few reps and fail, wait 20 or 30 seconds and bang out the last few reps to finish the set.

It has yet to fail me.

Altered Beast
09-02-09, 4:45 pm
Than again, I know my limits and my body well enough to know not to go so heavy I cannot finish my target rep range!

Basically, I know when to push myself and when to just bang out a few extra reps as opposed to just upping the weight.

shizz702
09-02-09, 7:02 pm
ego = up
injury risk = sky rockets

if u failed there is a reason, id rather spend time finding out why i failed then take out anger on a barbell ive already beat before.

i see this with a bunch of new guys all the time....fail MISERABLY lol on a bench 1 rep max so they strip it to a plate and bench it....so what? its a fuckin plate man! you should be benching that like 2 months into training. they cant take they ego shot and simply accept they failed.

id much rather just say ''next time ill be ready to kill" and put all my energy into my following exercises then waste energy and tax my CNS. you hit prs when your at your best, not after a failed attempt at a max, your to drained.

train smart.

So what are you saying proski you ain't got no love or the angry back off set?! lol ;)

Personally I think it's a good way to still make progress, and it maintains confidence. It sucks failing an attempt, but that's the nature of the beast, you got to stay humble and deal with it.

But it's also nice to strip it down to a still relatively heavy weight and hit a PR afterward.

prowrestler
09-03-09, 12:47 am
i see it good only if u still train smart. if u let your emotions do the work ... you will get hurt.

shizz702
09-03-09, 9:02 pm
i see it good only if u still train smart. if u let your emotions do the work ... you will get hurt.

Well obviously you have to train smart and instinctively.

You got to respect your limits.