PDA

View Full Version : UserRamma - Starting a new Journey

Rasto
08-31-09, 7:16 pm
What's up Animals!

I'm starting this journey as a way of documenting my goals of getting stronger and committing to eating healthier all the time, and not just "when I feel like it".

Current stats:
Deadlift: 360
Bench: 250
Squats: 275

Short -term Goals:
Deadlift: 375
Bench: 260
Squats: 275

A little bit about myself...I workout in the morning at home before work. I've got a power rack, dumbells, treadmill, and heavy bag. (So it's pretty well stocked, and what I don't have, I can usually "build" myself)

I'm currently wrapping up a cycle of modified WS4SB (Westside for Skinny Bastards). My week currently looks like this:
Mon - Upper ME
Tues - Sled pushing & Heavy bag work
Wed - Lower ME
Thurs - Upper DE
Fri - 2 hours of full-court basketball with buddies

This last cycle finally got me from 235 on the bench to a PR of 250 just last week. (I was super-pumped to finally hit hat PR) I'm on holidays next week, so after that, I think I'm going to do another cycle of WS4SB with some different accessory exercises selected. (Either that or I may look into purchasing Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 ebook)

As to the eating healthier part of the goal...Essentially, I'm either "on" when it comes to my diet, or I'm off...I'm either packing my lunch for work everyday with snacks, etc. to keep me fueled, or I'm hitting the local fast food establishment with co-workers, and gorging on hamburgers and diet pop! I'm putting this in writing to "hold myself to it"...I want to quit drinking soda (I only drank diet soda, but I want to cut that out too)...And I want to really focus on brining my lunch & proper snacks every day! In the event that I do go out with my co-workers, I want to focus on selecting healthier choices in place of the hamburgers I current choose.

Anyways...I think I rambled on there a little more than I had intended...but I wanted to get this down "on paper" as it were...So thanks for listening!

Jason

Durrikan
08-31-09, 7:23 pm
Welcome to the FORVM bro and look forward to your progress...and good luck

widdlewade44
08-31-09, 7:27 pm
And good luck on your Journey. Congrats on the bench PR, peace.

Kevin
widdlewade44

Rasto
08-31-09, 10:15 pm
Welcome to the FORVM bro and look forward to your progress...and good luck

And good luck on your Journey. Congrats on the bench PR, peace.

Kevin
widdlewade44

Thanks for the welcome guys!

I think posting this kind of stuff in a log is just what I need to motivate myself & keep myself on track.

Jason

Rasto
09-01-09, 9:08 am
Alright boys, my first logged workout on the forum, and it's a cardio/conditioning one.

Sled push (I turn an 'aerobic step' upside down & throw a couple of dumbells into the base, and push it up and down my basement)

4 sets x 6 "relays" x 60 pounds
60 seconds rest

90 seconds rest

Heavy Bag work
5 rounds x 2 minutes

Feels pretty good right now...I was still pretty stiff from a work softball tournament on Saturday. (played 3 games, and practiced hitting/fielding fly balls for about an hour in between the first 2 games)

Have a great day guys!

Jason

Rasto
09-02-09, 9:02 am
What's up this morning bro's?

Wednesday's workout is in the bag. New PR on the deads (275x5)

I gotta say; there's nothing like working out at 6 in the morning and knowing you lifted 300 pounds before work.

Front Squat
1x10x45
1x10x95
1x5x105
1x5x115
1x5x125

Deadlifts
1x5x135
1x5x185
1x5x225
1x5x275
1x3x300
1x2x315

BB Calf Raises
8x20x185

Ab Roller
8x10

Peace,

Jason

Rasto
09-03-09, 9:25 am
Hey fellas...Well, today's workout was mostly about determination...getting it done so to speak. I have a 2-year old daughter who decided to get up about 6 times throughout the night, so instead of being completely rested when I got up at 6 this morning, I was fairly foggy at 5:30, getting her milk, changing her diaper, etc. (Mom got her the other times last night)

Anyways...knowing that I was logging my workout here, I stepped it up, and had a fairly decent workout.

Bench Press
1x20x45
1x10x95
8x3x125

Close-grip chins
3x10x175 (this is my current bodyweight)

One-arm rows
3x8x80

DB Lateral Raises
1x15x15
3x20x10

Rolling Thunder (see below for explanation)
2x5x40 (for time)

Pinch Grip (see below for explanation)
3x20 (for time)

Rolling Thunder: I built this by taking one of those 1 inch barbells (that everyone had as a kid), and I slid 2 plastic Olympic plate adapters onto it. I then slid a 2 inch piece of pvc pipe over top of that, which rolls over top of the plate adapters very smoothly. Add a rope or tie down strap, and connect that to a weight stack. Place this piece of equipment in a power rack at about waist height, and you're ready to go! This is basically like doing a normal wrist-roller, but you're taking the shoulders out of it completely. If anyone is interested, let me know and I can upload some pics.

Pinch Grip: nailed a couple of 2x4's together, added a hook to the bottom, and then I just use a chain wrapped around some weight. Grab the 2x4 and hold on for as long as possible.

Peace,

Jason

Rasto
09-04-09, 9:05 am
'Sup bros,

Well, this brings an end to my first week of logging workouts here on the forvm. Friday's are usually a day off for me, since I play 2 hours of bball after work with some buddies. (Full court 5 on 5...I've tried working out in the morn & playing bball, but it always kills me)
Anyways, bball is out for a couple of weeks while we secure a new gym for the new "school year".

So, today's workout was a quick/simple barbell complex workout. Grab a weight, do eight exercises in a row for 6 reps...rest, then 5 reps...rest, then 4 reps...till you get to 1 rep x 8 exercises.

Today's weight: 75 pounds
Exercises:
Deadlift
Romanian Deadlift
Bentover Row
Power Clean
Front Squat
Push Press
Back Squat
Good Morning

Have a great weekend boys!

Peace,

Jason

Hollow
09-04-09, 11:01 am
Welcome to the forvm UserRamma! Have yourself a great long weekend!

Rasto
09-04-09, 1:27 pm
Welcome to the forvm UserRamma! Have yourself a great long weekend!

Thanks dude, hopefully the weather holds for the long weekend. (It's pouring today)

Rasto
09-07-09, 5:53 pm
Yo Animals! What's up on this holiday Monday?

Today's workout felt really good...I'm used to working out at 6 in the morning...since today is a holiday, I waited till my 2 year old daughter went down for her nap, chugged some (brand new) Shock Therapy, and headed downstairs to my gym. The following log details todays workout. (Bench felt wicked...sure, I got pasted by 260, but the 190/195 x 5 reps were PR's for me)

:-)

Bench
1x45x20
1x95x10
1x135x5
1x185x5
1x205x3
1x225x1
1x206x0 ~fail~
1x225x1
1x190x5
1x195x5

Inverted rows with rope (feet on bench)
1x175x15
3x175x10

Barbell Curl
3x75x8

E-z Skulls
3x60x15

E-z Close grip
3x60x20

Rope Pushdowns
2x50x10-
2x30x10

Rope suspended push-ups
1x175x20

Rasto
09-10-09, 4:42 pm
What's up guys! Today is the second last day of my holidays, and I decided to max out my deadlift...Wanted to see if I could PR today and hit my 2009 goal of 375.

Well, it was either the double quarter pounder that I had for supper last night, or the Universal Shock Therapy, or the fact that I was working out at 1:30 in the afternoon instead of 6 in the morning...but I f#ckin did it!

375 was done son!

(Yeah, I'm still pretty pumped)

Here's the breakdown:

Front Squats
1x45x10
1x90x10
1x105x5
1x115x5
1x125x5

Deadlifts
1x135x5
1x185x5
1x225x5
1x275x1
1x325x1
1x375x1 ~PR~

Walking DB Overhead lunges
3x5x8

Barbell Calf raises
8x185x20

Ab roller
8x10

Peace,

Jason

ProteinJunkie
09-10-09, 5:14 pm
Well, it was either the double quarter pounder that I had for supper last night, or the Universal Shock Therapy, or the fact that I was working out at 1:30 in the afternoon instead of 6 in the morning...but I f#ckin did it! 375 was done son!

I'm gonna say it was all 3!

Way to go bro and nice job on the PR. Thought I'd step in and make sure I keep my eye on you. I'll be watching...

Hollow
09-11-09, 8:27 am

Way to go bro and nice job on the PR. Thought I'd step in and make sure I keep my eye on you. I'll be watching...

X2! Great workout and congrats on the PR UserRamma!

Rasto
09-11-09, 6:06 pm

X2! Great workout and congrats on the PR UserRamma!

Hey fellas, thanks for the congrats...And yeah, I'd have to say it was probably a combination of all 3.

Of course, on Wednesday, I was doing my cardio/conditioning workout and my 2 year-old came downstairs while I was working the heavy bag, and my workout got a lot more intense...I guess I was trying to impress her! LOL.

I'm still pretty pumped about hitting 375. Combine that with hitting 250 on the bench a month or so ago, and I've hit my goals for 2009. Now I have to re-evaluate, and hit higher goals!

Rasto
09-11-09, 10:38 pm
What's up boys? Well, it's finally friday...and here's my "Thursday" workout. (I'm on holidays...things are off a day or two)

Bench Press
1x20x45
1x10x95
8x3x125

Close-grip chins
3x10x175 (this is my current bodyweight)

One-arm rows
3x8x80

DB Lateral Raises
4x20x10

Rolling Thunder
2x5x40 (for time)

Pinch Grip
3x30 (for time)

I really like the Pinch Grip exercise...I'm using a 30 pound dumbell, and after doing the rolling thunder, I was only able to hold the dumbell for 12 seconds. Next week I'll have to remember to hold it closer to the ground so that I can drop it. (I have a 2 year-old sleeping upstairs, so dropping a dumbell from knee height doesn't really appeal to me) ;-)

Have a great weekend guys!

Peace,

Jason

T o m m Y
09-12-09, 12:15 am
Nice deadlift PR!
405 IS AROUND THE CORNER!

Rasto
09-13-09, 3:10 pm
Nice deadlift PR!
405 IS AROUND THE CORNER!

Thanks bro! That's actually my next goal weight...was gonna post about it this week....I think I'm gonna head for a *gasp* 275 bench (never thought I'd put that down in writing) and the 4 plates 405!

Hollow
09-14-09, 9:14 am
Solid session UserRamma! Good call regarding keeping the DB closer to the floor on Pinch Grip work...waking up a two year old early in the morning...not good!

Rasto
09-14-09, 9:29 am
Solid session UserRamma! Good call regarding keeping the DB closer to the floor on Pinch Grip work...waking up a two year old early in the morning...not good!

Thanks bro! (And from what I understand, you have 4 "reasons" to understand the 'not waking a 2-year old up') I'm not sure how you can handle 4!

Rasto
09-14-09, 9:33 am
Yo Animals,

Starting a new cycle of Westside for Skinny Bastards....This is week 1...Looking forward to the gains from this cycle.

Warm-ups: Dynamic mobility work, foam rolling, etc.

Bench Press
1x20x45
1x10x95
1x5x135
1x6x185
1x5x195
1x4x200
1x3x205

Triceps Death
1/2/3/4 board press supersetted
2 sets of 5 reps per board x 135

One arm row
1x10x80
1x8x90
1x6x100

Facepulls
1x15x20
2x15x30

DB Hammer curl
1x15x20
2x15x25

Have a great Monday guys!

Peace,

Jason

Rasto
09-15-09, 9:26 am
What's up Animals?

A bit of a slow start this morning...my shake container lid broke yesterday, and my pre-workout shake wouldn't mix by just shaking the glass...Ended up having to head back upstairs into the kitchen and find a replacement shake container lid.

Then, my weight room computer was not booting. I use it for tracking workouts and streaming my mp3's for working out. (And posting my workout here of course) I played around with the hard drives and managed to get it working by disconnecting one of the un-unused drives. Yayyy me!

Anyways, here's the workout:

Sled push (I turn an 'aerobic step' upside down & throw a couple of dumbells into the base, and push it up and down my basement)

60 seconds rest

90 seconds rest

Heavy Bag work
5 rounds x 2 minutes

Hopefully the rest of the day will go better! LOL

Peace,

Jason

Hollow
09-15-09, 11:03 am
Looking forward to seeing how the new program works out for you UserRamma. That’s a pretty inventive idea for a quick home made sled push, nice.

T o m m Y
09-15-09, 11:07 am
What's up Animals?

A bit of a slow start this morning...my shake container lid broke yesterday, and my pre-workout shake wouldn't mix by just shaking the glass...Ended up having to head back upstairs into the kitchen and find a replacement shake container lid.

Then, my weight room computer was not booting. I use it for tracking workouts and streaming my mp3's for working out. (And posting my workout here of course) I played around with the hard drives and managed to get it working by disconnecting one of the un-unused drives. Yayyy me!

Anyways, here's the workout:

60 seconds rest

90 seconds rest

Heavy Bag work
5 rounds x 2 minutes

Hopefully the rest of the day will go better! LOL

Peace,

Jason

Haha,good idea man,make do with what you got!
Gotta get in the GPP in anyway possible =)

Rasto
09-15-09, 11:32 am
Looking forward to seeing how the new program works out for you UserRamma. That’s a pretty inventive idea for a quick home made sled push, nice.

Thanks dude...I'm pretty pumped to see what I get out of the WS4SB this time round...I've had a great 2009 so far (met both my Bench/Deadlift goals already) and I can attribute it to working harder in the gym via the WS4SB.

As to the sled push...I love "hacking" my own equipment...I've got 4 boxes made of 2x4's & plywood that I use for box squats, and a bunch of other exercises. I've got an old 1" barbell that I added some 2" PVC pipe over top of that I use for a forearm blaster (The PVC actually slides over some plastic olympic plate adapters that are put in the middle of the bar) . I've also got a calf-raise block (pretty basic) and a bunch of old hard drive magnets attached to weight plates (2 1/2, 5, and 10 pound) that I use to increase my dumbell weights.

Let me know if you want to see any photos of this stuff...I'd be happy to take some pics and post them to help others build their own stuff!

Jason

Rasto
09-15-09, 11:35 am
Haha,good idea man,make do with what you got!
Gotta get in the GPP in anyway possible =)

You got it dude...I'd love to buy one of those EliteFTS prowlers and have all the attachments, but I've only got my basement to work in, and it really wouldn't be worth it!

Of course, I do have a love/hate relationship with the GPP sled pushing...I love how great a shape you can get into with only 8 sets of pushes (which take approx 25 seconds each)...but it's frickin hard work man! I've tried interval sprinting on the treadmill in the past, but found it's just too hard on the body...with sled pushing, I can "sprint" as fast as possible, but have virtually NO impact on the body.

Jason

Rasto
09-16-09, 9:21 am
What's up today gents!

I gotta tell yea...Logging my workout here is one of the reasons I actually worked out this morning! My work social club took us outdoor go-carting last night, and after the second of three races, my guts were churning! I guess all the speed I was trying to gather around the corners took their toll on me. Anyways, I woke up this morning, and my guts are still a little queasy, and my head is foggy.

However, knowing that I'm logging my progress here (and it's the first week of a new program) I did the workout anyways.

Workout went pretty good, but I'm still feeling a little queasy! (The wife is gonna call me crazy again....)

Front Squat
1 x 10 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 10 x 105
Deadlift
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 185
1 x 5 x 225
1 x 5 x 275
1 x 3 x 325
DB Lunge
3 x 8 x 10
Calf Raises
1 x 35 x 135
2 x 30 x 135
Ab Circuit
3 x 10 x 4 exercises

Have a great day!

Jason

Rasto
09-17-09, 9:26 am
Today's workout was pretty good...Still feeling the effects from Tuesday's outdoor go-carting session. (Well, combine that with a couple of beers last night for a buddies b-day party, and you'll see why my guts were still churning slightly this morn)

Anyways...This is the first 'repetition' upper body day for my latest WS4SB cycle...

Blast Strap Push-ups (these are actually some thick tow ropes I have hanging from my power rack)
2x5x175
1x17x175
1x15x175
1x10x175

Close Grip Chin Ups
4x8x175

Seated Nose Pulls (thx Hollow1 for the suggestion)
4x20x20

DB Military Press
1x15x30
3x10x30

Rolling Thunder
2x5x40 (for time)

Pinch Grip
3x30 (for time)

One note about this workout...I really grip the chin-up bar hard when I'm doing close grip chins, and my forearms were pumped after supersetting the chins/nose pulls...The rolling thunder & pinch grip just made the pump even better!

Have a great day boys!

Jason

Hollow
09-17-09, 11:09 am
The past two workouts are looking solid UserRamma! Sounds like you had a blast go-carting the other night...good times!

Hopefully the Seated Nose Pulls worked out for you. It’s one of those things, trail and error finding out what works best for yourself.

Rasto
09-17-09, 12:31 pm
The past two workouts are looking solid UserRamma! Sounds like you had a blast go-carting the other night...good times!

Hopefully the Seated Nose Pulls worked out for you. It’s one of those things, trail and error finding out what works best for yourself.

Thanks bro! I think part of the reason the workouts have been good is that it's a new cycle, so the anticipation of "what could be" is still pretty high.

Do you use a tricep rope for those nose pulls, or a solid bar of some sort? (I used a rope with an over-hand grip)

Jason

Hollow
09-17-09, 1:00 pm
Thanks bro! I think part of the reason the workouts have been good is that it's a new cycle, so the anticipation of "what could be" is still pretty high.

Do you use a tricep rope for those nose pulls, or a solid bar of some sort? (I used a rope with an over-hand grip)

Jason

I use a rope for the nose pulls.

Rasto
09-21-09, 9:22 am
Yo!

What's up guys? Starting week 2 of my Journey...felt pretty good today, although I'm still feeling some ill effects from last week. Not sure what's going on with my body right now, but I spent a good part of the day yesterday falling asleep on the couch! (And I only ate like 2 meals, which is odd for me)

Anyways, today's workout went great, I gotta say, I love doing the Triceps death exercise...such a blaster after doing bench! Combine that with the DB Hammer curls, and as I type this, I can feel my arms just pumped & aching!

Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 6 x 185
1 x 4 x 200
1 x 4 x 200
1 x 3 x 205
1 x 3 x 185
Triceps Death
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 135
One Arm DB Row
2 x 8 x 90
1 x 7 x 100
Band Pull aparts
3 x 15 x 0
DB Hammer Curl
3 x 15 x 25

Have a great day guys!

Jason

Hollow
09-21-09, 4:43 pm
Solid session UserRamma! After that session you're going to need to eat big!

Rasto
09-21-09, 5:40 pm
Solid session UserRamma! After that session you're going to need to eat big!

Well Hollow1, if by "eat big" you mean "have a cheese donair & chocolate milkshake for lunch"...then yes, I ate BIG!

;-)

Jason

(Oh god how I love donairs)

T o m m Y
09-21-09, 8:43 pm
Yo!

What's up guys? Starting week 2 of my Journey...felt pretty good today, although I'm still feeling some ill effects from last week. Not sure what's going on with my body right now, but I spent a good part of the day yesterday falling asleep on the couch! (And I only ate like 2 meals, which is odd for me)

Anyways, today's workout went great, I gotta say, I love doing the Triceps death exercise...such a blaster after doing bench! Combine that with the DB Hammer curls, and as I type this, I can feel my arms just pumped & aching!

Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 6 x 185
1 x 4 x 200
1 x 4 x 200
1 x 3 x 205
1 x 3 x 185
Triceps Death
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 135
One Arm DB Row
2 x 8 x 90
1 x 7 x 100
Band Pull aparts
3 x 15 x 0
DB Hammer Curl
3 x 15 x 25

Have a great day guys!

Jason

Volume junky!
good work!

Rasto
09-22-09, 9:12 am
Volume junky!
good work!

LOL!

You don't know how true that is! I log my workouts online with a web application that I've been developing off/on during my lunch breaks over the past couple of months. Last week I added a new function where I could compare the volume / exercise from this week to the past week. That last set of 185x3 was to make sure I increased the volume from last week! (Because last week I had done 195x5, and this week I only hit 200x4...so I decided I needed to hit a few more reps to get my volume up)

In the past year, I've found that if I increase my volume (or at least keep it the same) I've been able to get strong(er).

Maybe me nickname should be changed to VolumeJunky! LOL

Rasto
09-22-09, 9:15 am
Dudes!

Wow...I've been doing the sled pushes for a little while now, and the minute you think you're getting in better shape, they put you on your ass again! The last 4 sets I sat in the fetal position waiting for that 90 second timer to go off. Good times...good times!

Homemade Sled push
60 seconds rest

90 seconds rest

Heavy Bag work
5 rounds x 2 minutes

Peace,

Jason

Hollow
09-22-09, 10:43 am
...The last 4 sets I sat in the fetal position waiting for that 90 second timer to go off. Good times...good times!

Definitely good times! Great work UserRamma!

Rasto
09-23-09, 9:10 am
Definitely good times! Great work UserRamma!

Thanks dude!

Rasto
09-23-09, 9:12 am
Alright guys....It's still week 2 & this is the Lower Body ME workout. Felt really good...I LOVE doing deads...just love 'em.

As to the DB lunge...I really wanted to start up a single leg exercise this cycle, and chose DB lunges...however, I can feel it more in my knee (even at a low weight like 10 pounds) so I think next week I'm going to switch it up for a different exercise. (Maybe step-ups...)

Front Squat
1 x 10 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 10 x 105
Deadlift
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 185
1 x 5 x 225
1 x 5 x 280
1 x 2 x 330
1 x 5 x 225
DB Lunge
3 x 8 x 10
Calf Raises
4 x 40 x 135
Russian Twist - On Swiss ball
4 x 20 x 10

Hollow
09-23-09, 9:37 am
Great session UserRamma!!! What a way to start the day off, a good solid session of dead lifting.

Rasto
09-24-09, 9:23 am
Great session UserRamma!!! What a way to start the day off, a good solid session of dead lifting.

Thanks dude, I totally agree about the deads...I've only been doing them for a couple of years, but there's something primal about squatting down and picking up a heavy weight...It's really just you/weight...no cheating, etc.

(oh yeah, and when you're doing it at 6 in the morning before everyone else you know is awake...there's something really cool about that too)

Rasto
09-24-09, 9:25 am
Hey All!

Great workout this morn...Forearms are pumped again like last week...Time to increase the Pinch grip since I'm holding it for 20 secs x 3 sets!

Rope suspended Push ups
2 x 5 x 175
1 x 18 x 175
1 x 16 x 175
1 x 12 x 175
Close Grip Chins
4 x 8 x 175
Seated Nose Pulls
4 x 20 x 20
DB Military Press
1 x 8 x 40
2 x 8 x 45
1 x 8 x 50
Rolling Thunder (for time)
1 x 5 x 40
1 x 5 x 40
Pinch Grip (for time)
3 x 1 x 30

Have a great one,

Jason

T o m m Y
09-24-09, 9:25 am
Nice pulling bro!

Hollow
09-24-09, 9:32 am
Solid session UserRamma! I know what you mean about lifting the weights early in the morning while everyone still sleeps...good times...good times...

Rasto
09-25-09, 9:08 am
Yo!

What's up Animals?

Today's workout was the barbell complex I did a couple of weeks ago. Start with 8 reps of each exercise without stopping...rest 90 seconds, then do 7 reps, etc. all the way down to 1 rep. 80 pounds kicked my butt!

I wasn't planning on working out this morning since I've got 2 hours of full court bball tonight with some buddies, however....there were 2 reasons for the workout:
1. The power went out last night, so I went to bed really early and I couldn't reset my alarm clock, so I was up at 6 anyways.
2. I'm pissed with my lack of will-power the past couple of weeks when it comes to my eating habits. Today's workout was a way to punish myself for that lack of will-power.

What are your motivations for eating healthy? How do you strengthen your resolve when all the others around you are eating crap? It seems lately that (although my day starts out with good intentions) I can't stop myself when my co-workers hit the 7-11 after lunch...I need something sweet! Let me know your thoughts guys, I need to figure something out!

Today's weight: 80 pounds
Exercises:
Deadlift
Romanian Deadlift
Bentover Row
Power Clean
Front Squat
Push Press
Back Squat
Good Morning

Peace,

Jason

Rasto
09-28-09, 9:10 am
What's up Bro's?

Today's workout started weird...With bench, I just wasn't feelin' it...Felt unusually weak. Anyways...pushed through it by using lower weights for more reps, and still hit the volume from last week. Rows, DB Hammers, etc felt really strong, so I was really perplexed about the bench workout. Then, as I was putting my bench away for the day, I noticed that it wasn't completely flat...turns out, last week when I was moving it around, I must've bumped it to the first "incline" notch...so it was about an inch higher than normal. (Which would've thrown my form off, etc.)

Anyways...enough excuses!

Here's today's log:
Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 185
2 x 3 x 185
2 x 6 x 155
Triceps Death (1/2/3/4 board presses, no rest)
2 sets of 135
Kroc Style DB Row
1 x 10 x 90
2 x 8 x 100
Band Pull aparts
3 x 15 x Blue band
DB Hammer Curl
3 x 15 x 30
Standing Ab Crunches
3 x 10 x 40

Peace!

Jason

Hollow
09-28-09, 9:29 am
I would be thinking that your goals and the goals of your co-workers are completely different. Myself, I don’t concern myself with what others are eating and just focus on my goals. Focus on your own goals UserRamma and don’t worry about what other people are eating. A little cheating isn’t the end of the world...just remember to keep things in moderation.

ProteinJunkie
09-28-09, 4:58 pm
Good advice. I'll add to it.

I find personal resolve to be very motivational - in other words - once you've established it once, it becomes easier and easier to act on the times to come in the future. Not buying junk at 7-11 the first time will be the hardest. Not only on a personal level but on a peer pressure level. Expect the haters to hate. The question is: how are you going to cope? I guarantee you though...the reward of motivation will set in soon enough as not only will you expect it from yourself, your co-workers will expect it from you. Once you've established a precedent...an expected action...that momentum will carry you, even on off days. Its been proven by men smarter than most that it takes 21 days straight to make something into a habit. So be it. Start counting...

More specifically, if you need something sweet after lunch, set yourself up with a prepared shaker cup filled with a serving of chocolate protein powder in it. Throw it in your jacket pocket/backpack and your sweet tooth is set with some added water or milk where and whenever you need it. Not only is this a great way to make sure your protein intake is up, your wallet will thank you as a serving of protein is gonna be cheaper than a chocolate bar and bottle of Coke.

Let us know how it goes.

Rasto
09-29-09, 9:18 am
I would be thinking that your goals and the goals of your co-workers are completely different. Myself, I don’t concern myself with what others are eating and just focus on my goals. Focus on your own goals UserRamma and don’t worry about what other people are eating. A little cheating isn’t the end of the world...just remember to keep things in moderation.

Good advice. I'll add to it.

I find personal resolve to be very motivational - in other words - once you've established it once, it becomes easier and easier to act on the times to come in the future. Not buying junk at 7-11 the first time will be the hardest. Not only on a personal level but on a peer pressure level. Expect the haters to hate. The question is: how are you going to cope? I guarantee you though...the reward of motivation will set in soon enough as not only will you expect it from yourself, your co-workers will expect it from you. Once you've established a precedent...an expected action...that momentum will carry you, even on off days. Its been proven by men smarter than most that it takes 21 days straight to make something into a habit. So be it. Start counting...

More specifically, if you need something sweet after lunch, set yourself up with a prepared shaker cup filled with a serving of chocolate protein powder in it. Throw it in your jacket pocket/backpack and your sweet tooth is set with some added water or milk where and whenever you need it. Not only is this a great way to make sure your protein intake is up, your wallet will thank you as a serving of protein is gonna be cheaper than a chocolate bar and bottle of Coke.

Let us know how it goes.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses; I like the ideas that each of you presented...both with the fact that my goals are different than my co-workers, as well as "eventually" seeing the rewards of motivation setting in. I've heard about the "21 days to form a new habit" theory before, but never really thought about applying it to my situation. I guess I'll consider yesterday Day 1.

As to the chocolate protein powder idea...I've actually got a tub of chocolate protein powder sitting at my desk for that very reason. I guess I'll just need to add the actual timely usage of the powder to my 21 days! It's funny cause ProteinJunkie mentioned that my co-workers will start to expect it from me...that's already the case, they consider me the 'health nut' of the office...And when I do buy the chocolate bar (or whatever) from the local 7-11, I do get the comments...Guess I just need to use those comments to fuel my fire eh?

And Hollow1; "everything in moderation" is something my wife has always said...and she's very good at executing it...Guess I'll need to pay more attention to how she does it eh?

Thanks again guys!

Jason

Rasto
09-29-09, 9:19 am
Simple but effective workout this morning...

'Homemade' Sled push
60 seconds rest

90 seconds rest

Heavy Bag work
5 rounds x 2 minutes

Peace,

Jason

Rasto
09-30-09, 9:14 am
'Sup guys? It's Wednesday, which in my world is "deadlift day" :-) LOVE IT!

For those paying attention, I took out the DB lunges from last week...Over the past few months I've noticed a slight pain in my knee after doing single leg exercises like the lunge, or bulgarian split squats, etc. Last week after doing the lunges on Wednesday, my knee was bugging me for the rest of the week, and when I went to play some bball on Friday night, it fu#kin' killed me...I could barely run up and down the court for the 2 hours we generally play. (it's 5 on 5, with 1 sub each team usually...by the end, most people are dragging ass, but I still love it cause it's a super way to end the week)

I still want to incorporate some kind of single leg exercise...but I'll wait a couple of weeks while my knee heals. Luckily, (is it?) we don't have a gym booked for bball this week, so I don't have to worry about making it worse again!

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...today is extra awesome, cause I'm meeting up with ProteinJunkie to pickup one of the Big 88's Animal Paks! Hoooooray new supplements! (And thanks wifey for giving me the go-ahead to spend some money!)

Anyways, here's today's workout:
Front Squat
1 x 10 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 10 x 105
Deadlift
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 185
1 x 5 x 225
1 x 5 x 285
1 x 3 x 330
1 x 5 x 225
Calf Raises
1 x 45 x 135
3 x 40 x 135
4 x 20 x 10
DB Windmills on Swissball
3 x 20 x 10

Peace,

Jason

Hollow
09-30-09, 9:20 am
Solid session UserRamma! Not having B-Ball this week will give you a chance to give your knee a bit of an extra rest.

Rasto
09-30-09, 4:57 pm
Solid session UserRamma! Not having B-Ball this week will give you a chance to give your knee a bit of an extra rest.

I'm hoping dude, I'm hoping...

Rasto
10-01-09, 9:25 am
So...walking into my basement weight room today, I had one goal in mind...Killing my forearms...creating one of those forearm pumps that stays with you for hours. Well...as I type this out, I can definitely say I achieved my goal.

Here's today's workout (Note the extra 5x10 of Ivanko's Super grippers at the end)

Rope suspended Push ups
2 x 5 x 175
1 x 20 x 175
1 x 17 x 175
1 x 12 x 175
Close Grip Chins
4 x 8 x 175
Seated Nose Pulls
1 x 20 x 20
3 x 20 x 30
DB Military Press
3 x 10 x 45
1 x 10 x 50
Rolling Thunder
1 x 5 x 40
1 x 5 x 40
Pinch Grip (for time)
3 x 1 x 32.5
Ivanko Super Gripper
5 x 10

Peace,

Jason

Hollow
10-01-09, 2:20 pm
Solid session UserRamma! How’s the eating coming along?

Rasto
10-01-09, 6:55 pm
Solid session UserRamma! How’s the eating coming along?

Thanks Hollow! The eating is coming along pretty good...As far as the "afternoon snacks" are concerned, I've gone 4/4 this week for staying away from the 7-11 temptation. I just picked up some Animal Pak from ProteinJunkie yesterday, so I'm going to use that as a "mental que" for the next couple of weeks and say to myself something like "you're taking a new multivitamin...do you really want to screw up the results of taking it for some chocolate/sugar/etc.?" I think by doing this I'll be able to train myself to not need the junk.

As far as the rest of the day goes, I'm focusing on doing a similar mental que for eating in moderation. Really focusing on portion sizes, etc.

All in all, I'm pretty pumped at making this change, and making it stick!

Thanks for checking in dude...I really feel like I've got someone watching my back in here! (Which is good)

Jason

Hollow
10-02-09, 9:26 am
It looks like you have yourself a pretty solid plan there UserRamma.

Rasto
10-05-09, 9:22 am
It looks like you have yourself a pretty solid plan there UserRamma.

Thanks dude...I'm hoping!

Jason

Rasto
10-05-09, 9:26 am
What's up guys?

Week 4...and what a good way to start the week! I feel like I've erased last weeks crappy bench workout. (which was only crappy due to the fact that my actual bench was set at a small incline which threw my form off, which screwed the weights I was using as well as my confidence!)

So, with this being week 4 of my current cycle, I think I'm gonna hit heavy all week, and take next week as a "deload" week. I'm certainly not an advanced lifter, but I feel like I'm not a beginner either. Everything I've read seems to indicate that for intermediate/advanced lifters, you're best to take a deload week every 4 weeks. So...one more week of hitting the heavy (heavy being a relative term here...what's heavy for me is warm-up weight for most) weights and next week I'll deload.

Here's today's workout:
Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 6 x 185
1 x 4 x 200
2 x 3 x 210
1 x 3 x 185
Triceps Death
2 x 5 x 140 (1/2/3/4 boards supersetted with 5 reps on each board)
Kroc Style DB Row
1 x 10 x 90
1 x 8 x 100
1 x 5 x 110
Band Pull aparts
3 x 15 x 0
DB Hammer Curl
3 x 15 x 30
Standing Ab Crunches
1 x 10 x 50
2 x 10 x 70

Peace,

Jason

Hollow
10-05-09, 10:23 am
Solid session UserRamma! That’s good planning on throwing in the de-load next week, it’ll give your body a chance to recover and you’ll feel refreshed for the following week.

Rasto
10-06-09, 9:14 am
Solid session UserRamma! That’s good planning on throwing in the de-load next week, it’ll give your body a chance to recover and you’ll feel refreshed for the following week.

Thanks dude...I know it's a good idea...and I've done the de-load week before...it's usually a somewhat frustrating week (cause you feel like you're not working hard) and I'm ready for the next week! Plus, it works out great, since I give blood next week. (every 56 days in Canada you know!)

Rasto
10-06-09, 9:17 am
Hey Guys,

Well, it's Tuesday already...time to kill myself doing sled pushes! Hoooray it's over!

LOL! I don't know if any of you read t-nation or anything by Dave Tate, but there was a great article yesterday, and he talked about the prowler (which essentially a sled for pushing/pulling)...and how much he hates it. Considering it's their product, it made me laugh! (And of course, I could identify with why he hates it)

Here's the article if anyone's interested:
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_interviews/37_tips_and_tales_from_dave_tate

Homemade Sled push
60 seconds rest

90 seconds rest

Heavy Bag work
5 rounds x 2 minutes

Peace,

Jason

Hollow
10-06-09, 9:17 am
Thanks dude...I know it's a good idea...and I've done the de-load week before...it's usually a somewhat frustrating week (cause you feel like you're not working hard) and I'm ready for the next week! Plus, it works out great, since I give blood next week. (every 56 days in Canada you know!)

I find it’s not so bad hitting that week of de-loading because the results speak for themselves when you return to the heavy loads.

Rasto
10-07-09, 9:18 am
I find it’s not so bad hitting that week of de-loading because the results speak for themselves when you return to the heavy loads.

*crosses fingers* I'm hoping!

How do you determine your load/weights for your de-load week? Traditionally, I've taken the weights I used in the previous week, and used about 70-80% of that weight...I was reading the other day that you could use the same weights, but 70-80% of the volume...meaning less reps.

I'm still leaning towards using 70-80% of the weight...that way my joints get a rest from the heavier weights.

Thoughts?

Jason

Rasto
10-07-09, 9:20 am
Hey Guys!

Well...another deadlifting session in the books...Lovin' it...I hit 295 for 5 reps today which is a PR (by 10 pounds over last week!) Of course, I then went for a 335x3 PR, and failed hard at 1 rep...(I did hit 330 for 3 last week, but this week 335 just wasn't coming off the ground after 1 rep!)

Front Squat
1 x 10 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 10 x 105
1 x 3 x 145
Deadlift
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 185
1 x 5 x 225
1 x 5 x 295 ~PR~
1 x 1 x 335
1 x 5 x 225
Calf Raises
1 x 50 x 135
3 x 40 x 135
4 x 20 x 25
3 x 20 x 25

Peace,

Jason

Rasto
10-07-09, 9:24 am
Well, it's been about a week and a half since I decided I wanted to clean up my eating, and stop eating out a work all the time, and stop having candy snacks at the local 7-11 with my buddies at work.

Gotta say, I'm really proud of myself so far...I've managed to avoid temptation at lunch to "ditch the packed lunch" and hit the mall with the boys. (And trust me, they can be pretty convincing) It's not like I'm never going to go out for lunch with them again, I think I'm going to take a full month off, and then maybe try going out once every couple weeks with them. (Of course, that will depend on the food choices I make when I do go out with them)

As to the 7-11 trips...We haven't gone everyday (it's getting colder here in Edmonton, so we don't go as often) but I haven't buckled in that resolve either.

All in all, it's been a good week and a half. One day at at time eh?

Jason

Hollow
10-07-09, 10:29 am
Remember we are both following different programs but for myself, I don’t use a prescribed percentage for a “de-load” workout. I will back off the weight (to give my joints a break) and I will also increase the reps at the same time. I find this method works well for me.

Congrats on the deadlifting PR!!!

Good to hear that you are getting your eating in check especially those 7/11 munchies. One day at time.

Rasto
10-08-09, 9:24 am
Remember we are both following different programs but for myself, I don’t use a prescribed percentage for a “de-load” workout. I will back off the weight (to give my joints a break) and I will also increase the reps at the same time. I find this method works well for me.

Congrats on the deadlifting PR!!!

Good to hear that you are getting your eating in check especially those 7/11 munchies. One day at time.

True enough about the de-load week...I guess I'll just have to listen to my body next week, and see what weights it wants to use! (I'll just make sure it's not the same as this week)

Jason

Rasto
10-08-09, 9:28 am
Started off today a little sluggish; The wife & I checked out the Russell Peters comedy concert last night at Rexall Place (in Edmonton). That dude is hilarious! Anyways, when we got home, I had to watch the taped Ultimate fighter, since I was hoping to see Kimbo fight again...(no spoiler here)...Anyways, by the time I got to bed it was around midnight, so my 5:45 alarm came pretty quick.

Here's today's workout:
Rope suspended Push ups
2 x 5 x 175
1 x 20 x 175
1 x 17 x 175
1 x 12 x 175
Close Grip Chins
5 x 8 x 175
Seated Nose Pulls
5 x 15 x 30
Standing Military Press
3 x 10 x 95
Rolling Thunder
1 x 5 x 40
1 x 5 x 40
Pinch Grip
3 x 1 x 35
Iron Gripper
5 x 10 x 0

Really digging the rope suspended push-ups..essentially like the "blast-strap" or "gymnastic ring" push-ups you see everyone incorporating nowadays. I think they're helping with the strength endurance aspect of my bench. I'm hoping to be 3x20 in the next few weeks although that 3rd set is lagging!

Also added on extra set of the close-grip chins & nose pulls superset...gonna keep working to a total of 50 chins in this workout.

Have a great day guys!

Jason

Hollow
10-08-09, 12:13 pm
Morning certainly comes early...solid session UserRamma! How's the knee holding up?

Rasto
10-08-09, 7:24 pm
Morning certainly comes early...solid session UserRamma! How's the knee holding up?

*covers head in hands* I'd rather not talk about the knee!

LOL!

Seriously though...It's getting better, although not as fast as I had hoped. Luckily, there's not basketball this week, so tomorrow I'm just going to do a conditioning/cardio workout. (No single leg exercises)

I actually have a great plan for tomorrow's workout..thought of it last night; I'm going to use my homemade sled, and a tow rope I bought at a local liquidation store...fill up the sled with some weight, and push it to one end of the basement, and then use the rope to pull back to the other end...do that for about 6 trips & do 8 reps of that. Sort of like a sled push/pull medley.

I'm pretty pumped just thinking about it.

Jason

Rasto
10-09-09, 9:13 am
Holy Sheeeeiiit!

Ok, I think I should re-evaluate my career choice...instead of being an application developer, I should just come up with ways to kill people via exercise! LOL....

So, I tried out my push/pull medley today...Gotta say...wow...

With my normal "conditioning/cardio" workout, I've been doing a sled push, and I do 6 "reps" (going back and forth across my basement 6 times) and I get them done in about 25 seconds. (And then I do that 8 times) With today's, I did 12 reps (pull it one way, and then push it back)...and the set time was about 1:10ish, and I only did it 6 times total. I think this is going to be a good mix of conditioning times.

Also, I took some pics of my weight room today, so I'll try to upload those later...it'll give you guys a better idea of what I'm working with!

Here's today's workout:

Push Pull Medley (for time)
1 x 6 x 60
5 x 6 x 80

Peace,

Jason

Hollow
10-09-09, 9:38 am
That push/pull medley sounds brutal. Looking forward to seeing your set up.

Rasto
10-12-09, 4:40 pm
That push/pull medley sounds brutal. Looking forward to seeing your set up.

:-) Yeah...that push/pull medley is pretty brutal...and oh so cool too. (At least, that's what I think when it's done...I won't be thinking that tomorrow morning)

I'm hoping to have some time tonight to upload those photos...I've noticed most of you guys are using photobucket to host your photos...might have to sign up for an account.

Jason

Rasto
10-12-09, 4:43 pm
Well, it's Thanksgiving Monday for my Canadian buds, so I hope you're all enjoying the extra day off...I know I am!

Quick workout today...my 2 year-old is napping, so I got permission from the wife to workout. (LOL...she still made fun of me for it...asking if I'm worried about getting fat for missing a workout...I know she was kidding, but it really reminds me that most people don't understand our commitment, do they?)

Anyways...Have a great day, I'm off to the in-laws for some turkey/beer!

Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 6 x 155
1 x 5 x 160
2 x 3 x 165
Triceps Death
1 x 5 x 105
1 x 5 x 105
1 x 5 x 105
1 x 5 x 105
1 x 5 x 105
1 x 5 x 105
1 x 5 x 105
1 x 5 x 105
Kroc Style DB Row
1 x 10 x 70
1 x 8 x 80
1 x 5 x 80
Band Pull aparts
3 x 15 x 0
DB Hammer Curl
3 x 15 x 20
Standing Ab Crunches
1 x 15 x 50
2 x 12 x 70

Jason

Rasto
10-13-09, 9:20 am
Hey All!

Hope my Canadian bro's had a good Thanksgiving...I know I had a good amount of turkey/potatoes/pie!

Continued using the Push/Pull medley from Friday...added 20 pounds to the sled (100 pounds total), and removed one "back and forth" rep from each of the 6 sets. I measured out the distance, and it's 19ft...so for each set of 6, I travel about 95 feet each way. (19 ft push/ 19 ft pull...times reps) Takes just over a minute...and it's tough!

Here's today's workout:
Push Pull Medley
6 x 5 x 100
Heavy Bag work
5 rounds @ 2 mins

I'm still going to get photo's uploaded sometime...work/home have been too busy lately. (And any time I did have at home over the past 3/4 days has been spent hacking my HTC Touch phone so that it would run windows mobile 6.5)

Peace,

Jason

T o m m Y
10-13-09, 9:31 am
Everything is looking real solid in here bro,im loving the GPP stuff!

Hollow
10-13-09, 1:39 pm
How did you find that de-load session UserRamma?

I hope you had yourself a great Thanksgiving.

Rasto
10-13-09, 5:17 pm
Everything is looking real solid in here bro,im loving the GPP stuff!

Thanks dude...I noticed you're doing some tire-based GPP...You ever take a sled-hammer to that tire?

Rasto
10-13-09, 5:18 pm
How did you find that de-load session UserRamma?

I hope you had yourself a great Thanksgiving.

Actually Hollow1; That session wasn't too bad...kept the reps the same, and lowered the weight to about 80%...still felt like I got a bit of a workout and didn't feel like I was wasting my time!

(And yeah...Thanksgiving was great..the best part being that the in-laws sent us home with left-overs...MORE turkey for supper tonight! WOOHOO!)

Jason

Rasto
10-13-09, 5:28 pm
A few photos:

Rolling Thunder:
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx260/jason_rastovski/WeightRoom%20Pics/IMG_2242.jpg

Box Squat boxes: (showing 2 out of 4)
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx260/jason_rastovski/WeightRoom%20Pics/IMG_2233.jpg

Sled with DB's (Two 40lb'ers):
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx260/jason_rastovski/WeightRoom%20Pics/IMG_2232.jpg

Sled with Tow rope attached:
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx260/jason_rastovski/WeightRoom%20Pics/IMG_2232.jpg

If you've got any questions, let me know!

Jason

Rasto
10-14-09, 9:23 am
Well, it's Wednesday...half way through this week already!

Here's today's workout:

Front Squat
1 x 10 x 45
1 x 8 x 95
1 x 8 x 95
1 x 3 x 115
Deadlift
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 185
1 x 5 x 185
1 x 5 x 225
1 x 1 x 275
1 x 5 x 185
Calf Raises
4 x 50 x 95
4 x 20 x 25
3 x 20 x 25

Peace,

Jason

Rasto
10-14-09, 9:25 am
Just noticed that the link to Sled with Tow rope attached was incorrect...

Try this one:

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx260/jason_rastovski/WeightRoom%20Pics/IMG_2231.jpg

Hollow
10-14-09, 12:44 pm
Hurray for left over turkey!!! Sad thing is, yesterday’s lunch had the last remaining bits of turkey.

Thanks for posting/sharing the pics of your set up. Looking good.

Rasto
10-15-09, 8:07 am
Hurray for left over turkey!!! Sad thing is, yesterday’s lunch had the last remaining bits of turkey.

Thanks for posting/sharing the pics of your set up. Looking good.

No prob man, let me know if you have any questions. (Or if you have any suggestions on other equipment a guy could make)

Jason

Rasto
10-15-09, 9:12 am
What's up guys?

Today's workout went pretty good...Timing of this deload week is perfect since I gave blood last night, and I usually take it a little easier over the next couple of days.

As usual...the forearms are pretty pumped...feels good!

Now, it's off to shovel some snow! (That's always a good finisher eh my Canadian brothers?)

Rope suspended Push ups
2 x 5 x 175
1 x 16 x 175
1 x 13 x 175
1 x 9 x 175
Close Grip Chins
5 x 5 x 175
Seated Nose Pulls
5 x 15 x 20
Rolling Thunder
1 x 5 x 40
1 x 5 x 40
Pinch Grip
3 x 1 x 35
Iron Gripper
5 x 10 x 0
Standing Military Press
3 x 10 x 75

Peace,

Jason

Rasto
10-16-09, 9:09 am
Last day of the deload week....Feels pretty good actually...I think I kept the right amount of volume, etc. I guess next will be the final test!

Today's workout was just the push/pull medley...ran out of time to do the 5 rounds of heavy bag work. (I was a little tired this morning, and ended up spending too much time reading your journey's guys!)

Push Pull Medley
6 x 5 x 100
1 rep consists of 1 sled rope pull x 19 feet and then 1 sled push x 19 feet
Repeat that for 5 reps, with a 2 minute break.
Repeat that 6 times.

Peace,

Jason

Rasto
10-16-09, 9:11 am
End of week 3...and I'm still eating clean at work...haven't gone out for lunch in 3 weeks, and I haven't visited 7-11 for 3 weeks. Pretty damn proud...And yesterday was hard...the boys at work were really trying to convince me to go for lunch with them, but I had to stick to my guns, and told them I'd pass. It was tough, but once they left, and I started having my packed lunch...I felt awesome.

Jason

Hollow
10-16-09, 1:14 pm
Shoveling snow already!?!? It feels like we just put the shovels away not too long ago. Just as long as it holds off down here till after Halloween, I’ll be happy.

That is awesome to hear that you are doing so well in keeping your snacking/eating out at work in check! Kudos to you UserRamma!

Rasto
10-19-09, 8:12 am
Shoveling snow already!?!? It feels like we just put the shovels away not too long ago. Just as long as it holds off down here till after Halloween, I’ll be happy.

That is awesome to hear that you are doing so well in keeping your snacking/eating out at work in check! Kudos to you UserRamma!

Thanks Hollow! I'm hoping that this motivation lasts the whole week.

As to snow shoveling; I couldn't believe it myself...I actually shoveled before I had a chance to rake any leaves. Luckily, it warmed up enough this weekend that most of the snow is now gone, and I was able to get outside an rake!

Jason

Rasto
10-19-09, 9:17 am
First workout after deloading week. Felt really good...Like super-good. I figured I'd have to take a week and get back into the weights I was using the week before the deload, but I picked up right where I left off!

One major note...I didn't purposely work the forearms, but I'm having a hard time typing right now...so much pump! I think it's from the final superset of db hammers & standing ab crunches....but who really knows?

Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 7 x 185
1 x 4 x 200
1 x 3 x 210
1 x 3 x 215
1 x 5 x 185
Triceps Death
1 x 5 x 145
1 x 5 x 145
1 x 5 x 145
1 x 5 x 145
1 x 5 x 145
1 x 5 x 145
1 x 4 x 145
1 x 2 x 145
Kroc Style DB Row
1 x 10 x 90
1 x 6 x 110
1 x 6 x 110
Band Pull aparts
3 x 15 x 0
DB Hammer Curl
3 x 15 x 30
Standing Ab Crunches
3 x 12 x 70

Have a great day!

Jason

Hollow
10-19-09, 10:51 am
Hitting up a great workout after the deload week, nicely done UserRamma! It could have very well been the DB Hammer Curls that torched your forearms.

Rasto
10-20-09, 8:47 am
Hitting up a great workout after the deload week, nicely done UserRamma! It could have very well been the DB Hammer Curls that torched your forearms.

Hey Hollow1! I think we're probably right about those hammer curls...when I super-setted them with the ab crunches, all I could feel was a burn in my forearms.

(A good burn of course)

Jason

Rasto
10-20-09, 8:50 am
Alright, well, it's a rushed workout today, I have to drop my car off at the tire shop to have a flat repaired (and possibly replace a couple of tires at the same time) Wrong time of year to need work on tires, that's for sure!

Just had a chance to do my push/pull medley today, so on the last set, I cranked up the music, and actually beat my best time from the past couple of weeks! Hoooray! (Of course, I'm still laying on the ground praying for the workout to be over in between sets 3-6!)

Push Pull Medley (for time)
6 x 5 x 100

Have great day guys!

Jason

Rasto
10-21-09, 9:19 am
Perseverance.

That is one of the greatest lessons I think I've learned (and continue to learn) from the iron.

Today, I had it in my head that I was going to hit 335x3 for deadlift, and even though it took me about 4 tries for rep #3, I did it. I never let go of the bar, I didn't let that nagging thought in the back of my head win, (it was telling me that 2 reps was good enough) I just did it. Once I was done, it was gratifying. I think anyone else reading this knows this feeling.

(And yes, I've read Henry Rollin's essay/story about the iron game a long time ago)

;-)

Here's today's workout:

Jump Squats (body weight for warmup)
5 x 10 x 180
Deadlift
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 185
1 x 5 x 225
1 x 5 x 300
1 x 3 x 335
1 x 10 x 185
Calf Raises
4 x 50 x 135
4 x 20 x 25
3 x 20 x 25

Peace,

Jason

Rasto
10-22-09, 9:23 am
Well, I can safely say that the past 5 or 6 weeks that I've been focusing on my forearms is starting to pay off. Doing close grip chins today, it felt like I had a vise-grip on the bar! Usually by rep 7 or 8 of chins, I'm touching my feet to the ground cause my grip starts failing, but today....wow...

Here's today's workout:

Rope suspended Push ups
2 x 5 x 180
1 x 20 x 180
1 x 18 x 180
1 x 13 x 180
Close Grip Chins
5 x 8 x 180
Seated Nose Pulls
5 x 15 x 30
Standing Military Press
3 x 10 x 100
Rolling Thunder
1 x 5 x 40
1 x 5 x 40
Pinch Grip
3 x 1 x 35
Iron Gripper
5 x 10 x 0

Peace,

Jason

Rasto
10-26-09, 8:27 am
Quick note before this morning's workout; I made it 4 weeks in my goal to start eating better while at work. This included not buying candy/crap at 7-11, and not going out for lunch. I'm really quite happy about how this turned out.

I read somewhere that if you're going to make habit-changing goals, you should work on one thing at a time. I feel like I've got good control of my will power now, so I'm going to set a new goal for the next 4 weeks.

That goal is going to be stretching my neck/back at least 3 times per day. I have a fairly tight upper back which can cause me headaches, and other upper back pain. The past 2 months I've been seeing a new chiropractor/ART guy, and some of the stretches he's been showing me have had an amazing effect on my back. I just need to be more consistent with it. (It seems like I only remember to start stretching when I feel myself starting to get a headache, or having my back lockup)

4 weeks starts today...Right now, actually!

Jason

Rasto
10-26-09, 9:28 am
Felt really strong in the first few sets of bench...Probably why I went for a single at 240...I don't like the fact that I missed it, but I did hit a PR of 185x8 (trying to get up to 10) so I'm still really happy with today's workout.

Here it is:

Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 8 x 185 ~PR~
1 x 5 x 200
1 x 3 x 215
1 x 2 x 225
1 x 0 x 240
Triceps Death
1 x 5 x 145
1 x 5 x 145
1 x 5 x 145
1 x 5 x 145
1 x 5 x 145
1 x 5 x 145
1 x 5 x 145
1 x 5 x 145
Kroc Style DB Row
1 x 10 x 90
1 x 7 x 110
1 x 8 x 110
DB Hammer Curl
3 x 15 x 30
Standing Ab Crunches
1 x 12 x 70
2 x 6 x 80

Peace,

Jason

ProteinJunkie
10-26-09, 10:16 am
Nice w/o's bud. How's Pak treatin' ya?

Rasto
10-27-09, 9:15 am
Nice w/o's bud. How's Pak treatin' ya?

Thanks dude, workout's have been feeling pretty solid in the past month or so. The pak's are great...still waiting for the Pak piss to show up! LOL...I think I drink too much water (almost 2 liters by the time I have the Pak in the morning) so it's pretty dissolved by the time it starts to exit my body! LOL!

How you been lately? Pretty crazy week last week at WCB eh? (I work on 107th, so it was just a few blocks south)

Rasto
10-27-09, 9:17 am
Pretty simple workout today...My "best" time on the Medley was actually about 10 seconds faster than the past couple of weeks...which means I'm either getting in better shape, or I only did 4/5 "back and forth's", and just miscounted! (I'm hoping for the former! HAA HAA)

Push Pull Medley
6 x 5 x 100

Heavy Bag (5 rounds of 2 minutes)

Peace,

Jason

ProteinJunkie
10-27-09, 11:21 am
Thanks dude, workout's have been feeling pretty solid in the past month or so. The pak's are great...still waiting for the Pak piss to show up! LOL...I think I drink too much water (almost 2 liters by the time I have the Pak in the morning) so it's pretty dissolved by the time it starts to exit my body! LOL!

How you been lately? Pretty crazy week last week at WCB eh? (I work on 107th, so it was just a few blocks south)

Good to hear and ya that kinda' water consumption will dilute it alright. haha

And been good - thx bro. And ya craziness for sure last week. Gotta love downtown eh? Note to self: if ya see anyone around downtown with a rifle bag sittin' outside a building again, just keep on walkin'.

Rasto
10-28-09, 9:17 am
Good to hear and ya that kinda' water consumption will dilute it alright. haha

And been good - thx bro. And ya craziness for sure last week. Gotta love downtown eh? Note to self: if ya see anyone around downtown with a rifle bag sittin' outside a building again, just keep on walkin'.

No doubt! Just keep on walkin' indeed!

Rasto
10-28-09, 9:19 am
Good workout today...still struggled to get 335x3 for the deadlift, but I kept my hands on the bar, knelt down for like 10-15 seconds, and then struggled to get the third rep.

Perseverance...2 weeks in a row...

Here's the workout:

Jump Squats (warm-up for deads....180 is body-weight)
5 x 10 x 180
Deadlift
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 185
1 x 5 x 225
1 x 5 x 305
1 x 3 x 335
1 x 10 x 205
Calf Raises
4 x 50 x 145
4 x 20 x 25
Russian Twist (with Barbell)
4 x 10 x 25

Peace,

Jason

Rasto
10-29-09, 9:31 am
Pretty good workout this morning...Kinda feels like I tweaked my back yesterday doing the deads...(And when I say kinda, I really mean "I did...") Should make the next few days pretty interesting since I sit all day, and that's when I feel it the most.

Anyways...Here's today's workout. (Made it to 50 close grip chins today)

Rope suspended Push ups
2 x 5 x 180
1 x 20 x 180
1 x 18 x 180
1 x 14 x 180
Close Grip Chins
5 x 8 x 180
2 x 5 x 180
Seated Nose Pulls
5 x 15 x 30
Standing Military Press
3 x 10 x 100
Rolling Thunder
1 x 5 x 40
1 x 5 x 40
Pinch Grip
3 x 1 x 40
Iron Gripper
5 x 10 x 0

Peace,

Jason

Rasto
11-02-09, 9:06 am
Well, I hope you all had a great Halloween weekend! (I know I did)

My back continues to bother me...(I tweaked it deadlifting on Wednesday)...I think I tweaked it again slightly benching this morn, and by doing the Kroc rows, I know I didn't do myself any favors! Oh well...We'll see how it feels tomorrow, I might make the rest of the week an "easy" week.

Here's today's workout:
Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 10 x 185
1 x 3 x 200
1 x 2 x 220
Triceps Death
1 x 5 x 145
1 x 5 x 145
1 x 5 x 145
1 x 5 x 145
1 x 5 x 145
1 x 5 x 145
1 x 5 x 145
1 x 5 x 145
Kroc Style DB Row
1 x 10 x 90
1 x 8 x 110
1 x 10 x 110
Dips
3 x 10 x 180
DB Hammer Curl
3 x 10 x 30
Swiss Ball Crunch
3 x 20 x 10

Peace,

Jason

Rasto
11-13-09, 9:21 am
So...it's been a while...I haven't trained since 11/02/2009...almost 2 weeks. Turns out I strained my back, and that last workout really hurt it. Took this time off to rest and recover. Came into the basement gym this morning to get back into it. (I hate taking time off, but I could barely walk)

I'm not even going to record what I did, but it was basically just bodyweight movements...just to get back into the gym, and get my sweat on. I'm going to see how I feel later, and that will determine whether I'm fully back on monday, or at least 50-60% back.

Have a great weekend,

Jason

Rasto
11-16-09, 9:25 am
Well...my back is at about 90%...still stiff in the mornings, but after I move around for a few hours, it's better. I'm going to take the next 2 weeks to do modified workouts. (Taking out exercises like Kroc rows which put a lot of strain on the lower back when I'm really pushing myself, and substituting chins instead) Today's workout went pretty good, and I added 5 - 20 second "intervals" on the bike to get my cardio going again. (I'm going to try play b-ball this Friday, so I want to get some of my lungs back)

Here's today's workout:
Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 8 x 185
1 x 3 x 195
1 x 3 x 205
1 x 1 x 225
Wide Grip Chins
3 x 8 x 180
Dips
3 x 10 x 180
Tricep Pushdown
3 x 10 x 50
Added 5 - 20 second intervals on the bike. (10 total minutes)

Have a great day!

Jason

Rasto
11-17-09, 9:18 am
Well...Day 2 of the "recovery" and I'm feeling pretty good...Wasn't sure how the sled push/pull would go...figured the push would be fine, but I was worried about the pull part. Turns out, with a proper warm-up, it went great. (Well...great in that there was no back pain...but I was still laying on the ground between sets! LOL)

Here's today's workout:

Push Pull Medley
6 x 5 x 100

Heavy Bag 5 rounds @ 2 mins

Have a great day!

Jason

Rasto
11-19-09, 9:26 am
Hey All,

Well, I'm almost at the end of week 1 (of recovery from back strain)...I've been taking it pretty easy in my workouts...in fact, lower body workout yesterday was non-existent. I'm going to do one more "recovery week" and then start hitting it hard again. I've picked up 5/3/1 and that's what I'll be using for a workout template.

Here's today's workout:

Medicine ball Push Ups
3 x 10 x 0
Close Grip Pull Downs
3 x 15 x 90
Squat
3 x 10 x 45
Glute Ham Raises
3 x 10 x 180
Standing Ab Crunches
3 x 15 x 50
Plank