PDA

View Full Version : wendler's 5/3/1

ironshaolin
09-01-09, 3:17 pm
I noticed there is no thread to this method posted yet, so what the hell I'm starting it now.

If you haven't read this E-book yet, DO IT. Jim Wendler is the man.

There are 4 training days: Military press +assistance, Deadlift+assistance, Bench press+assistance, Squat+ assistance. This can be done 3 or 4 days a week.

Anyone doing this, how have yoru results been so far?
I'm about to begin this program, and had a question. Of course, like MANY gyms, mine has no Glute/ham raise. So, I figured on 2 options. Number 1: do the poor man's GHR, with someone holding my ankles and do an explosive pushup into it. Or, do the 45 degree back extension version, where after the back extension, you squeeze your glutes until your body is perpendicular. Which one is better?

J Wong
09-01-09, 7:32 pm
I ran it for squats from May 18th to early August. I messed up and put in 100% of my max and not 90%, I ended up with a 30 lb meet PR on squats.

ironshaolin
09-01-09, 7:57 pm
Good stuff, boom. I've heard the program will still give you awesome gains in strength if you don't use the 90%, however, wendler says you will stall much, much faster.

J Wong
09-01-09, 8:03 pm
Good stuff, boom. I've heard the program will still give you awesome gains in strength if you don't use the 90%, however, wendler says you will stall much, much faster.

Very true. After time, weight started to feel heavy as hell that shouldn't have.

BigChrisF
09-02-09, 4:29 am
From an interview I read, Jim said one of the primary reasons he has people base their percentages off of 90% 1rm instead of 100% is that most people aren't honest with themselves about their 1 rm. I think if you have a genuine good 1 rm to go off of, then you should do fine with that.

T o m m Y
09-02-09, 2:46 pm
I just finished my 3rd cycle..
My maxes have gone up 20-25lbs.

J Wong
09-02-09, 3:01 pm
From an interview I read, Jim said one of the primary reasons he has people base their percentages off of 90% 1rm instead of 100% is that most people aren't honest with themselves about their 1 rm. I think if you have a genuine good 1 rm to go off of, then you should do fine with that.

I was honest with mine and it still got tough. I need to get that e book soon.

Now that I understand the basic parts of the program after I ran it semi incorrectly the first time for one of my lifts, I don't necessarily think I would like running a full on 5/3/1 program, especially when prepping for a meet. It emphasizes hitting rep PRs, which I know will improve your one rep maxes, but come meet day, I like to have an idea of what heavy weight feels like on my back/in my hands. An example of this would be: 90% of my squat max is 441 (100% is 490), and 95% of that is about 420, and that is what I am supposed to hit on my last wave for 1 rep or more. 420 pounds feels a lot different then 490 pounds on your back. Every cycle you put 10 lbs on your 90% max, and that will only add about 5 pounds to your 3rd wave every cycle. So after a few cycles, I will be hitting rep PRs with weight under 440 pounds, but never having a true 95% of my max on my back until meet day. I hope I made that clear. I am not putting down the program at all, it is just how I see why I wouldn't like running the program full on.

IRBS
09-02-09, 3:13 pm
It's a great program. As for the GHR question, you could always do Good Mornings in that place. Be creative and pick the movement that gives you the most bang for your buck. In the book there is an extensive list of assistance movements that you can pick from.

As for Meet Prep with 5/3/1, Wendler says himself that this program is not designed for a competitive Powerlifter, it is designed for getting in the best shape of your life. Now, that DOES NOT mean it cannot be adapted and used for meet prep. Guys here have had great sucess doing it. 5/3/1 is a long term program, and not really meant to peak you for a meet. If you are an equipped lifter, IMO it does not carry through as well, and no one has figured out how to use 5/3/1 for equipped lifters...many have tried, but have not quite found a way to fit it in. Raw lifters would have much more sucess using it for meet prep, especially if you train alone.

I used 5/3/1 as a month long deload after an exhaustive meet prep and it was great. Once I am done with competitive Powerlifting, 5/3/1 is the program I will be following.

BigChrisF
09-03-09, 9:07 pm
Here is the interview with Jim. He gives a good outline and explanation of his program.

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength

t_mh
09-15-09, 4:00 pm
Another 5/3/1 question:
Getting through my 2nd week of the program. I set my maxes 10% under the actual number. But, if I am getting reps of around 15 for the last set of the day is this an indication that my maxes were set too low? I'm a bit frustrated with the low weight and the fact that it will be 6 months before I'm working with my actual max on bench.

IRBS
09-15-09, 4:12 pm
Another 5/3/1 question:
Getting through my 2nd week of the program. I set my maxes 10% under the actual number. But, if I am getting reps of around 15 for the last set of the day is this an indication that my maxes were set too low? I'm a bit frustrated with the low weight and the fact that it will be 6 months before I'm working with my actual max on bench.

Wait until your 531 week, if you hit 10 reps with your "1" set then just reset your maxes using the formula found in the book (Weight x Reps x .0333 + Weight) then take 90% of that number and reset. Otherwise, just keep following the program and adding 5 or 10lbs to your numbers for your next cycle.

This is about long term strength building. Hitting 8-10 reps is about where I was at on my "3" week. My 531 week I hit 5-6 reps on my last set. You will never be "working" with your actual maxes, if you are, you've probably set your percentages too high and you wont hit the prescribed weights and reps for very long.

Periodized programs will kill you if you dont set the numbers right. The key to this program working long term is starting light. In 3 months, if your still hitting high reps on everything, then reset. Definitely dont reset mid cycle. Wait until after your 531 week to even consider it. Then, after your deload, if you want to reset...reset.

t_mh
09-15-09, 7:57 pm
Alright thanks a lot man. I'll definitely wait until the end of the cycle to reset if I do. What I meant by "working with" was using it to calculate percentages, not using it in a set.

"Wait until your 531 week, if you hit 10 reps with your "1" set then just reset your maxes using the formula found in the book (Weight x Reps x .0333 + Weight) then take 90% of that number and reset. Otherwise, just keep following the program and adding 5 or 10lbs to your numbers for your next cycle."

That's exactly was I was planning on. Thanks.

BLOWNBY
09-16-09, 10:24 am
for GLH...use a pull down machine.

Face out, knee's on seat and ankles locked under pads where your knee's would be if you were doing pull downs. And away you GO!!

t_mh
09-25-09, 4:22 pm
A new wendler interview:
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_interviews/blood_and_chalk_jim_wendler_talks_big_weights

ironshaolin
09-26-09, 8:34 am
Wendler has stated MANY times that he recognizes strength as a "life long" commitment. Taking the weight cut back was definately damaging to my ego initially, however I'm enjoying hitting the rep PR's now. Yesterday I squatted 275 for about 8 reps, my previous best with that weight being 5. So even though I'm not working with 3 plates right now, I'm still getting stronger. I anticipate, after 1 year training on this all my weights will be above and beyond where my previous bests were. Then, I can start venturing into new territory, the land of the giants.

Cyrus The Virus
10-07-09, 12:07 am
I started it about two months ago and am pleased with the results that I am getting. I have hit PR's every week.

fatbackgoal
11-04-09, 7:32 pm
I am just on my second week so hard to say. I do enjoy the workouts and am using it as a base for a meet in March. I am not very strong and felt this would be a good way to get that base going.

Cyrus The Virus
11-06-09, 11:28 am
I just finished my third cycle on this program and tested my 1 Rm's. They went up between 20-30 lbs.

T. Kemble
12-06-09, 8:55 pm
Just had my first article published on Elite Fitness about 5/3/1.

Check it out

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/civil_servant.htm

IRBS
12-06-09, 9:15 pm

Check it out

I thought that was you...good stuff Tom

ldskenpo
01-02-10, 12:34 pm
I am going to my first meet next saturday ( jan 9) and plan to start this the week after. from what i have read on several different sites, this will also mesh better with the organized pt we do here. Now, if i could get out of the 5 mile runs......

mritter3
01-03-10, 9:56 am
still waiting for the book, but i got my workout pretty much set up...at least i hope so, i have read a ton of info on it, got all my percentages for my lifts, now the only thing to do is lift.

strivin for more
01-03-10, 4:10 pm
still waiting for the book, but i got my workout pretty much set up...at least i hope so, i have read a ton of info on it, got all my percentages for my lifts, now the only thing to do is lift.

the books emailed to you, you shouldnt have to wait for shipping. unless you havent gotten it yet. hahah. but good luck on it!

IRBS
01-03-10, 8:59 pm
the books emailed to you, you shouldnt have to wait for shipping. unless you havent gotten it yet. hahah. but good luck on it!

Unless he got the hardcopy...........

mritter3
01-03-10, 10:19 pm

are all the books emailed to ya....found one on amazon.com, hmmm maybe its not the one that i should have gotten...damn, thanks for the shout out.

mritter3
01-03-10, 10:19 pm
Unless he got the hardcopy...........

oh...so there is a hardcopy, good, i got mine off amazon.com

strivin for more
01-04-10, 5:59 pm
oh...so there is a hardcopy, good, i got mine off amazon.com

oh there is a hardcopy? huh. i kinda wished i had that more.

fenix237
02-14-10, 12:06 pm
can you get the hardcopy at Amazon too?

T o m m Y
02-14-10, 12:15 pm
can you get the hardcopy at Amazon too?

No.

fenix237
02-14-10, 2:28 pm
if anyone knows where a hard copy can be bought, please post as i much prefer paper to electronic

IRBS
02-14-10, 2:52 pm
if anyone knows where a hard copy can be bought, please post as i much prefer paper to electronic

Elitefts.com is the only place to get a hardcopy, it depends on if they have them in stock

fenix237
02-14-10, 3:01 pm
Elitefts.com is the only place to get a hardcopy, it depends on if they have them in stock

thanks bro! just read up on 5/3/1 and it seems like a perfect fit for my goals- psyched to get the book and get it going!!

strivin for more
02-14-10, 3:04 pm
thanks bro! just read up on 5/3/1 and it seems like a perfect fit for my goals- psyched to get the book and get it going!!

yea man, im only into my third cycle and its done wonders for my squat and deadlift both. make sure you take off the 10%!!

ldskenpo
02-14-10, 10:27 pm

i bought the e-book and then went to work and printed it out. I am on my third cycle and am still breaking pr's on all 4 lifts.

fenix237
02-15-10, 10:34 am
yea man, im only into my third cycle and its done wonders for my squat and deadlift both. make sure you take off the 10%!!

i bought the e-book and then went to work and printed it out. I am on my third cycle and am still breaking pr's on all 4 lifts.

sounds great fellas- very anxious to get into this routine! i like everything about it from what i've read so far

question about the hardcopy version; i had a look over at Elite Lifts but did not see it- like IRBS said, maybe they are out of stock??? does anybody know the price of the hardcopy? (i know the E-Book is $20)

thanks again! - MM

naturalguy
02-15-10, 12:51 pm
I am a bodybuilder slowly converting to the dark side (just kidding). I started doing 5/3/1 after reading the book and I like the program a lot.

naturalguy
02-15-10, 1:01 pm

Check it out

Great article.

tek is my personal yoda, awesome guy who knows his stuff and trains hard.

fenix237
02-15-10, 4:04 pm
okay, i bought the e-book and already read it in the last 2 hours- (yes, i'm impatient. i couldn't wait to read it haha!!) good stuff- i really enjoyed reading it start to finish- i dig the basic approach and the emphasis on fundamentals

T o m m Y
02-15-10, 4:05 pm
Good shit man..

When you plan on starting it?

TigerAce01
02-15-10, 4:13 pm
Starting my program today. I'll be logging it in my journey.

-Ace

T o m m Y
02-15-10, 4:17 pm
Starting my program today. I'll be logging it in my journey.

-Ace

Good shit bro,ill be following..
Check out my log of you want,ive been doing 5/3/1 for about 6 months..

fenix237
02-15-10, 4:19 pm
Good shit man..

When you plan on starting it?

this saturday the 20th- i'm not sure how "in shape" you need to be weightlifting wise, but it seems the best solution is to just jump in and work into it as needed. i've been on a weight loss diet, cutting a lot of my carbs down as well as my intensity on the big 3, so i feel a little 'weak' by my standards.

i dropped about 15lbs in the last month or so, but i figure i'm gonna need more carbs when i look at the cardio component of 5/3/1 program. i'm not worried about getting fat as this program looks like an asskicker, especially the higher rep assistance work. maybe i can start with a 3x/wk program and go to 4 if needed?

T o m m Y
02-15-10, 4:21 pm
this saturday the 20th- i'm not sure how "in shape" you need to be weightlifting wise, but it seems the best solution is to just jump in and work into it as needed. i've been on a weight loss diet, cutting a lot of my carbs down as well as my intensity on the big 3, so i feel a little 'weak' by my standards.

i dropped about 15lbs in the last month or so, but i figure i'm gonna need more carbs when i look at the cardio component of 5/3/1 program. i'm not worried about getting fat as this program looks like an asskicker, especially the higher rep assistance work. maybe i can start with a 3x/wk program and go to 4 if needed?

Do you know your maxes on the 4 lift already??

Yea i would start with 3 days a week and then see how you feel and once you think your ready you can add a day of you want..i would start out probably with like 3 sets of 10-12 on the assitance stuff and then once you see how you feel you can add more sets reps and stuff..

fenix237
02-16-10, 9:52 am
Do you know your maxes on the 4 lift already??

Yea i would start with 3 days a week and then see how you feel and once you think your ready you can add a day of you want..i would start out probably with like 3 sets of 10-12 on the assitance stuff and then once you see how you feel you can add more sets reps and stuff..

i have a pretty good idea of my lifts, although they are down a bit since i've been losing weight. do you guys think i should take 4 weeks and work back into some heavier poundages and build up strength (and find my true 1RM), or just find my 1RM now and let the program run it's course? JW says to start 'too light' and work into the program, so maybe i don't need to be 'peaking' to start it.

I will be following some 5/3/1 journals to learn more

thanks fellas! - MM

ldskenpo
02-16-10, 2:41 pm
i have a pretty good idea of my lifts, although they are down a bit since i've been losing weight. do you guys think i should take 4 weeks and work back into some heavier poundages and build up strength (and find my true 1RM), or just find my 1RM now and let the program run it's course? JW says to start 'too light' and work into the program, so maybe i don't need to be 'peaking' to start it.

I will be following some 5/3/1 journals to learn more

thanks fellas! - MM

start now with what you got, don't not do the 10% drop, you will be surprised. I really like this alot, my joint pain has gone waaay down and i am using weights that are still better than those around me.

IRBS
02-16-10, 2:44 pm
Start light....

strivin for more
02-16-10, 7:54 pm
start now with what you got, don't not do the 10% drop, you will be surprised. I really like this alot, my joint pain has gone waaay down and i am using weights that are still better than those around me.

when you say dont not that makes it confusing... ahaha. make sure you do the 10%. youll be so happy you did in the end. im in my third cycle and am already noticing some nice rep PR's.

Young&Hungry
02-17-10, 5:53 pm
I've been doing 5/3/1 for somewhere around 18 months and it's been the best thing I've ever done for my training. IRBS is right - start light and follow the progression as Wendler dictates and do not deviate. The guys who end up quitting 5/3/1 and not seeing results are the antsy idiots who feel the need to customize an already perfected program, in my opinion.

JamesRange62
02-18-10, 9:19 pm
i've been thinking about running the 531, but i am confused about the 4th week being a deloading week. what is a deloading week?

ldskenpo
02-18-10, 9:49 pm
i've been thinking about running the 531, but i am confused about the 4th week being a deloading week. what is a deloading week?

deloading week is a time for your body to reset and rebuild the stress you have put on it from the heavy lifting, in 5/3/1 there are prescribed weight % and reps to do, you do that and then stop. this goes for the main lifts AND your accessory work.
this works real well, the next week you come in recharged and ready/anxious to hit more pr's for another 3 weeks. it also helps to prevent injuries/burnout/stalling.

fenix237
02-23-10, 5:10 pm
out of curiosity, how long does it take for the 5/3/1 to get hardcore? I know JW advocates to start 'too light' and work into it. i'm not thinking about changing anything up or anything like that- i'll follow this program to the letter- just wondering how long till it's gets intense

IRBS
02-23-10, 5:13 pm
out of curiosity, how long does it take for the 5/3/1 to get hardcore? I know JW advocates to start 'too light' and work into it. i'm not thinking about changing anything up or anything like that- i'll follow this program to the letter- just wondering how long till it's gets intense

Push your rep out sets and it's pretty "intense" from the start...

fenix237
02-23-10, 5:20 pm
Push your rep out sets and it's pretty "intense" from the start...

gotcha- forgot about the high rep assistance work- i was only considering the weight on the 4 main lifts- thnx!

ldskenpo
02-23-10, 6:24 pm

it can get intense on the last "or more" set if you push yourself, use his suggestion in the book to get a goal rep for each of the weeks and then push to beat that

Deathride
03-16-10, 6:28 am
As a quick question.......I am currently running a 5*5 program now for my four big lifts (training 4 days a week....5*5 on my big lift each day, then a little assistance work afterwards) and was wondering if anyone knows of a way to calculate my 1RM to enter into the 5/3/1...or should I just try and lift it and see how I get on? Probably won't be starting it for a while but am just curious as people seem to get great results from it.

One other question (which may be answered in the book....will have to get it ordered)....is there any benefit between doing the assistance work in any partial way, or does it not matter if you do the different exercises, the big but boring and so on?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

IRBS
03-16-10, 8:40 am
As a quick question.......I am currently running a 5*5 program now for my four big lifts (training 4 days a week....5*5 on my big lift each day, then a little assistance work afterwards) and was wondering if anyone knows of a way to calculate my 1RM to enter into the 5/3/1...or should I just try and lift it and see how I get on? Probably won't be starting it for a while but am just curious as people seem to get great results from it.

One other question (which may be answered in the book....will have to get it ordered)....is there any benefit between doing the assistance work in any partial way, or does it not matter if you do the different exercises, the big but boring and so on?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

To start the program you are supposed to take 90% of your training max...ie a weight you can do in the gym. Not a calculated max or percieved max. My advice is to work up and hit a solid single and base it off of that.

There is a formula in the book for calculating 1RM, but it is intended to be used when youve already got a few cycles under your belt and need to reset your max.

Beach91
03-16-10, 1:11 pm
hey Guys, Ive seen tonnes of info. on 5/3/1 on the net and on the Forvm here, with most lifters reporting positive results.

I know the program helps you improve on the no. on your main lifts, I guess I am just basically searching for opinions on the program to see if it applies to hypertrophy and muscle size gains for bodybuilding purposes. I was thinking of running this during my offseasons.

obviously if your big lifts go up you will have some gains in size, so what are you 5-3-1ers out there experiencing in size gains and improvements?

do you think the program would be beneficial to retain gains/muscle size when doing a cut for a competition?

Sorry for all the questions

Deathride
03-16-10, 7:56 pm
IRBS many thanks for the help...........guess I'll just have to rock it like a hurricane and go see how it goes :-D

GJN5002
03-17-10, 11:18 am
Just started week 3 of 5/3/1. I love going into the gym with a set goal, very motivating. I'm also going to get back on a solid diet here and see if I can lose some fat while still getting stronger.

strivin for more
03-17-10, 6:35 pm
hey Guys, Ive seen tonnes of info. on 5/3/1 on the net and on the Forvm here, with most lifters reporting positive results.

I know the program helps you improve on the no. on your main lifts, I guess I am just basically searching for opinions on the program to see if it applies to hypertrophy and muscle size gains for bodybuilding purposes. I was thinking of running this during my offseasons.

obviously if your big lifts go up you will have some gains in size, so what are you 5-3-1ers out there experiencing in size gains and improvements?

do you think the program would be beneficial to retain gains/muscle size when doing a cut for a competition?

Sorry for all the questions

ive been doin the boring but big assistance work and definitely have gotten bigger. youll gain size easily through this IMO.