PDA

View Full Version : just got surgery

dominate77
09-09-09, 11:13 am
to repair my torn labrum. let me tell you guys, if you ever do something like dislocate your shoulder or your knee or anything like that, don't be a idiot, quit lifting. i so badly wish i could have let this heal on it's own. it's impossible to sleep and theres nothing to do and it hurts super bad to move. i can't take this stupid sling off to shower for a week and a half lol. before the surgery he told me 3-6 months before i could lift again. now he's leaning toward 6. not trying to bitch but seriously, let your injurys heal

JeremyT
09-09-09, 12:18 pm
Sorry to hear that bro. I have actually both dislocated my shoulder, and torn my ACL, so I have had to learn patience with my body, even though I'm terrible with it. You will be back at full strength before you know it. My shoulder still bothers me, as does my knee on occasion because I was stupid and didn't give it the full time to heal. Better to take time off now and get back at full strength, then to do something stupid now, and be fucked later on. But that sounds like what you are doing, so stay on that track.

Good luck!

N. Motta
09-09-09, 12:26 pm
That sucks man. I too, had to have surgery on a torn labrum and my rotator cuff. I was also dumb, and tried to live with it for 3 years haha.

Only advice I could give is, listen to your doctor! Do all the rehab, don't cut it short because you think your all better. My rehab was grueling and really painful and I too was out for about 4-5 months. But the repaired shoulder is stronger and more stable feeling than the other one haha.

So yea, with something like a torn labrum, listen to your doctor. Despite, what the gurus in here might say.

dominate77
09-09-09, 1:45 pm
thanks guys, after this last dislocation i knew i had to do something. not only did it hurt but it also hung a good inch-inch and a half lower than my other arm.
my ortho said it was torn like 75 percent of the way
iwontquit thats good to hear i was worried it would still be a weak point. what did you do the first few weeks where you can't move much? i've been super bored so far just watching tv all day, i don't know how some people do this for fun

N. Motta
09-09-09, 2:15 pm
iwontquit thats good to hear i was worried it would still be a weak point. what did you do the first few weeks where you can't move much? i've been super bored so far just watching tv all day, i don't know how some people do this for fun

Ah the fond memories of being in my sling. haha. Pretty much just took it real easy man. I played plenty of x-box, movies, seinfeld dvd's haha. My doctor wanted me to be as inactive as possible for the first few weeks. I think about 6 weeks or so, I started rehab. Which was cool in a way, but like I said before really sucked. I think about that same time, I started going to the gym and doing a lot of elliptical cardio. Wasn't my cup of tea, but it felt a lot better to just get my heart and lungs going. I liked it because it was very low impact and low vibration.

In my opinion, this is one of those times where you need to put aside all that bullshit about being hardcore and getting back in the gym as soon as you can. Take it slow. There is no sense in half assing the recovery and potentially being in the same position in a couple years down the road. Muscle memory will help you rebound, once you do get back into the gym. Be patient, you will be able get semi active with cardio and such here in a little while. But it will be some time before you get the go ahead to start weight training again, and even then I would recommend being very patient. Baby steps. Listen to your body.

SQUAT or DIE!
09-09-09, 2:18 pm
been there done that twice.. do as your told and dont think of lifting before u get the ok from your PT.... PLEASE!!!

N. Motta
09-09-09, 2:21 pm
been there done that twice.. do as your told and dont think of lifting before u get the ok from your PT.... PLEASE!!!

See. There you go. From the mouth of a legit iron warrior.

Take that shit to the bank man.

bdb1513
09-09-09, 3:10 pm
looks like i might end up on the surgery bandwagon. got a hernia last week. waiting to talk to a surgeon, but the dr. said i could still do a little lifting with a belt...just no deads, squats, or military press. think i'm going to have to take a lot of time off after surgery :-\

dominate77
09-09-09, 7:23 pm
haha my girlfriend just brought me a couple dvds and some mags so hopefully that gets me through a few days.

i hear you, i'll wait as long as they tell me

hope that hernia surgery goes well dude

N. Motta
09-09-09, 7:26 pm
Nice man. I am lucky enough that I had a great girl to take care of me. I wasn't supposed to shower either, so she helped me take baths to stay fresh. That's a keeper in my book.

Muscleguy93
09-09-09, 8:49 pm
I feel you man, shoulder inurys arent fun. Good luck wit the healing man, also stock up on aminos + carbs becuase there the key to keep your muscle.

good luck man.

dominate77
09-10-09, 12:39 am
Nice man. I am lucky enough that I had a great girl to take care of me. I wasn't supposed to shower either, so she helped me take baths to stay fresh. That's a keeper in my book.
haha i actually got to shower my lower body and i'm feeeling a lii

I feel you man, shoulder inurys arent fun. Good luck wit the healing man, also stock up on aminos + carbs becuase there the key to keep your muscle.

good luck man.

thanks bro, i'll keep that in mind, i've been trying to eat as clean as possible so i don't turn into a fat ass slob lol

newbreed
09-12-09, 3:33 pm
Hope you all have a successful recovery