PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody squat 1,000 lbs raw?

J A Y
09-09-09, 6:21 pm
hope this isnt a re post... i have never read it before and thought it would make an interesting talking point..

especially with experienced powerlifters input, in raw and geared competition.

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/1107

BryanSmash!
09-10-09, 5:52 am
In going through that article, the best anyone can come up with is unsubstanciated rumors. Alot of people, myself included, say Paul Anderson would be the answer to that question.

IRBS
09-10-09, 9:07 am
The answer is no. It would be a crap shoot for someone to stay healthy enough, for long enough, to get to 1000 raw. Not saying it cant be done, but it hasnt (to my knowledge). Plus, doing it on the platform would make it even harder.

A lot of the Paul Anderson stuff has come out as fake at some point or another...I have no idea if it was or not, but many of his feats of strength have either not been verified or called into question for validity. I still like him though!

BryanSmash!
09-10-09, 9:58 am
True about finding verification of these feats. It seems like someone always knows someone who saw it.
What do you think about Bud Jeffries?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJMdK7vJsLc

IRBS
09-10-09, 11:04 am
True about finding verification of these feats. It seems like someone always knows someone who saw it.
What do you think about Bud Jeffries?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJMdK7vJsLc

It's a cool lift, but that is not a squat. The Squat starts in the top position.

BryanSmash!
09-10-09, 11:19 am
It's a cool lift, but that is not a squat. The Squat starts in the top position.

Yeah, its a bottom up squat, or a squat start. He sure was excited to make it though!

ghost
09-10-09, 11:28 am
Yeah, its a bottom up squat, or a squat start. He sure was excited to make it though!

so he did half of the actual movement......weird.

BryanSmash!
09-10-09, 11:36 am
so he did half of the actual movement......weird.

Ive done these before as they've been recommended to build more power out of the hole, noticed some improvement, but not much.
As a side note, I've done bottom up squats from about the quarter squat position as well, it really toughens up the traps and gives good conifidence with having a much heavier load on your back that you could normally handle.

Young&Hungry
09-10-09, 11:30 pm
Mark Henry and Don Reinhoult have squatted somewhere in the area of 930-950 raw, and that's all I know. Those records have stood for decades so that goes to show you how insanely good even 700 raw is.

Cstlfx
09-11-09, 12:04 am
I think its going to take a much longer time to reach that achievement. But, I do think it will happen at some point in time. Someone with freak genetics, the perfect diet, perfect supplementation, and awesome form will nail it.

Konstantine deadlifted 991, I dont see why someone couldnt do that with the squat.

daddyg
09-11-09, 7:06 am
there is this guy brandon cass(c-4) that has done 900 with a belt/wraps check it out at apt pro gear.com/powerlifting and u will see the photos.

IRBS
09-11-09, 8:09 am
there is this guy brandon cass(c-4) that has done 900 with a belt/wraps check it out at apt pro gear.com/powerlifting and u will see the photos.

hahaha, sorry bro, that is total BS...

daddyg
09-12-09, 7:20 am
ok so may be im wrong but photos dont lie and what do u consider to be raw because there is so many rules and groups so it depends on which orgination u want to compete in.

BigChrisF
09-12-09, 5:27 pm
What? Photos lie all the time.

I used to consider knee wraps in raw lifting, but with some of the wraps out there now, I think that it is pushing it. If you wear 2.0 M or less for 220 on up and 1.5 M or less for the lower classes it can be unequipped.

Mikey132
05-05-10, 5:44 pm
Paul Anderson did a supposed 1200lb. Raw Squat: and I say Raw because it was done in the 1960's (no gear in the 60's) witnessed by the York Barbell Team led by Bob Hoffman...Bob Hoffman basically owned USA Weightlifting, which Paul Anderson was and Powerlifting was in its infancy. Anderson was an Olympic champion in Weightlifting. In fact the Soviets based their training around his after he revealed it to them:. But theres doubters who question that "myth" and thats understandable. But here's where the unknowledgable haters fault. Paul Anderson had a VEGAS ACT, thats right... a show in Vegas. It was two weeks long (thats 14 days for the heavy meat heads) where he squatted two safes filled with silver medal dollars which weighed out to 1175 lbs! He did this show twice a day for two weeks! Its purpose (and it succeded at it) was to draw strongmen from every Farm, Factory, Steel Plant, Circus, etc. around. If anyone could duplicate this they could have the money that was in those safes. 1175 lbs. in Silver Dollars is alot of money; especially back then. Nobody ofcourse, could accomplish this feat. Paul Anderson later went on to open homes for troubled youth, do expeditions at various events and further preach his idiols of belief in God and all the good stuff. But to post on this question Paul Anderson has the highest Raw Squat and its higher than anyone can do currently Raw, in any single ply federation, yeah hes bested in the UNLIMITED Feds...but talk to anyone in those feds.They can keep their gear, their weigh in times (well Paul Anderson was Superheavyweight so thats not relevant), hell let them keep everything! If one of them can walk an 1,175lb. Squat out and even reach parallel (not break parallel) and rise with it. Well, they will have the respect of the ENTIRE Powerlifting community, not just their sect in it. Paul Anderson is the best Squatter of all time (and he was a Weightlifter...go figure). Don't believe me? Google that shit! Thats what all the cool kids are saying these days right?

Powerfreak
05-06-10, 9:17 am
hope this isnt a re post... i have never read it before and thought it would make an interesting talking point..

especially with experienced powerlifters input, in raw and geared competition.

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/1107

Now I have a new goal!! Provided I don't break in the process.

Brian Weston

Big Byrd
11-08-10, 1:04 pm

Brandon Cass has never squatted 900 raw. Until recently, there was a list of all 900 raw squats, and he was not on the list. There were only 11 and none under 300 pounds. The list is not up anymore to my great displeasure.

Rob Wilkerson CAN squat 1,000 pounds raw in knee wraps. I watched him set the all time heaviest raw squat record with 975 like it was an empty bar. I begged him to take a grand that day but wanted to save energy for bench and total 2200, which he did. It was one of the most impressive things ive ever witnessed, and i was in Lake George when Bolton pulled his 1,003!

daddyg
12-10-10, 7:04 am
Brandon Cass has never squatted 900 raw. Until recently, there was a list of all 900 raw squats, and he was not on the list. There were only 11 and none under 300 pounds. The list is not up anymore to my great displeasure.

Rob Wilkerson CAN squat 1,000 pounds raw in knee wraps. I watched him set the all time heaviest raw squat record with 975 like it was an empty bar. I begged him to take a grand that day but wanted to save energy for bench and total 2200, which he did. It was one of the most impressive things ive ever witnessed, and i was in Lake George when Bolton pulled his 1,003!

i was wrong talked to brandon when my son was training with him he was wearing a single-ply when the pictures were shot and weighing about 220, so i am sorry for the wrong info.

Big Byrd
12-27-10, 3:46 pm
Oh we are getting close now!!! A russian 308er named Andrei Malancichev squatted 450 kilos (992lbs) a few weeks ago at the WorldLifting raw power meet! Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAciRDG8-wI&feature=player_embedded

I talked to Rob Wilkerson afterwards and he is fired up to break 1,000 in March, same weekend as the Arnold. 1K will fall soon, I hate ill miss it.

IRBS
12-28-10, 11:32 am
Oh we are getting close now!!! A russian 308er named Andrei Malancichev squatted 450 kilos (992lbs) a few weeks ago at the WorldLifting raw power meet! Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAciRDG8-wI&feature=player_embedded

I talked to Rob Wilkerson afterwards and he is fired up to break 1,000 in March, same weekend as the Arnold. 1K will fall soon, I hate ill miss it.

Malancichev's 992 was the most impressive squat I have ever seen...awesome.

J A Y
12-29-10, 6:55 am
Malancichev's 992 was the most impressive squat I have ever seen...awesome.

ditto... hate to sound like a raw zealot but thats what its all about, was deep too

Seath308
02-01-11, 3:14 am
In the Next 3 Years I will Squat 1000 pounds RAW (Belt And Wraps) and I will do it Drug Free and I will be in the Junior Age division.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dYaGAzOt9k

C.Coronato
02-01-11, 9:36 am
In the Next 3 Years I will Squat 1000 pounds RAW (Belt And Wraps) and I will do it Drug Free and I will be in the Junior Age division.

I like it. And i look forward to it. Hell yea brother.

Big Byrd
02-07-11, 10:40 am

Looking good. It may be possible, but u gotta train smart and stay injury free.

J A Y
02-08-11, 5:05 pm

ben, that is one hell of a statement big guy! and i will be behind you all the way i hope haha! would be awesome to see

Carrnage
02-09-11, 7:28 pm
Im not making any gurantees but...

If the time is right

The money pays good

Im injury free

I see a great reason in attempting / doing it

Anything is possible

in ur dreams carrnage, you cant do it! you have too much of an ego! you spit out too much "broscience"....hahah yeah ive HEARD it all....screw the haters / non-believers

J A Y
02-10-11, 8:09 pm
Malancichev's squat really should change the talking point of this thread, he is damn close and it seems almost inevitable it will happen sooner rather than later if not for him, some special individual!... i plan on competing untill i physically cant anymore, what will people be squatting raw then?

lets say in 20 years time when ive just finished my time in the seniors? will people(a very rare gentically gifted few) be dropping in 1100 squats in just a pair of knee wraps? chemically enhanced or not i couldnt care less, its a scary prospect regardless...

AKN
02-12-11, 12:47 pm
I think Pat Mendes will eventually. He could squat at LEAST 900 walked out ass to floor if he wore a belt and wraps right now.

Altered Beast
02-12-11, 1:06 pm
Personally, I want to see Un Godly amounts of weight being pushed out of the hole. Raw or not.

BUT, a raw 1000 pound squat would be ridiculously impressive.

Big Seath will get there, I've got faith brother!

IRBS
02-14-11, 10:23 am
I think Pat Mendes will eventually. He could squat at LEAST 900 walked out ass to floor if he wore a belt and wraps right now.

Pat Mendes is retarded strong but he is an Olympic Lifter with Olympic hopes. He couldnt care less about Powerlifting...He has the potential, but I am pretty sure his goals are elsewhere...

I predict it will happen at the Ironman and then will be follwed by the Russians.

Seath308
02-28-11, 5:07 pm
800- Squat
480- Bench
670- Deadlift
1950- Total

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHS3utyoPf4

Aggression
02-28-11, 5:15 pm
800- Squat
480- Bench
670- Deadlift
1950- Total

damn, dude. speechless.

Cstlfx
02-28-11, 6:56 pm
800- Squat
480- Bench
670- Deadlift
1950- Total

Hahaha, that 800 came up as if you were warming up!! Excellent work Seath, way to represent.

Big Byrd
03-02-11, 11:43 am
The first ever 1K squat may go down this weekend! I hate im gonna miss it.

and FYI, here is the old list (dated 8/8/10) for all the 900 pound raw squatters, knee wraps allowed. The only one i remember since this list is Malinchev's new All Record of 992, and of course, this weekend may change things again.

MEN’S 900 POUND (408.2 KILOGRAM) UNEQUIPPED SQUAT HALL OF FAME
Asterisk (*) indicates exact bodyweight (instead of limit bodyweight) used to derive bodyweight coefficient.

Squat X-Bwt Wt. Div. Male Lifter/ Nationality/ Date/ Actual Weight/ Exact Bodyweight/ Location/ Federation
1. 975.5 (442.5) *2.44X SHW Rob Wilkerson (US/81) 6/6/10 (975.0 lb. @ 400.0 lb., without a squat suit.) (Nashville, Tennessee) (SPF)
2. 970.0 (440.0) *3.20X 308 (140) Sergiy Karnaukhov (Ukraine/78) 11/4/07 (440.0 kg. @ 137.55 kg., without a squat suit.) (Togliatty, Russia) (WPO)
3. 948.0 (430.0) *2.34X SHW Marc Henry (US/71) 7/16/95 (430.0 kg. @ 405.8 lb., without a squat suit) (Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania) (ADFPA/WDFPF)
4. 934.5 (423.9) *2.78X SHW Don Reinhouldt (US/45) 4/10/76 (935.0 lb. @ 152.4 kg., without a squat suit, which later weighed out at 934.5 lb.) (Findlay, Ohio) (AAU/IPF)
5. 925.9 (420.0) *2.82X SHW Sergey Alexeev (Russia) 9/18/94 (420.0 kg. @ 148.78 kg., without a squat suit) (Moore Lake, Minnesota) (WDFPF)
6. 920.4 (417.5) *2.70X SHW Jo-Jo White (US/47) 8/31/75 (417.5 kg. @ 341.0 lb., without a squat suit) (York, Pennsylvania) (AAU)
7. 909.4 (412.5) *2.38X SHW Vasil Orobets (Ukraine/66) 5/22/05 (412.5 kg. @ 173.5 kg., without a squat suit) (Hamm, Luxembourg) (IPF)
8. 905.0 (410.5) *2.81X SHW John Kuc (US/47) 11/11/72 (905.0 lb. @ 322.25 lb., without a squat suit. First man to squat 900 pounds.) (Harrisburg, Pennsylvania) (AAU)
9. 903.9 (410.0) *2.79X SHW Brent Mikesell (US/67) 6/26/04 (410.0 kg. @ 323.7 lb., without a squat suit) (Newport, Oregon) (IPA)
10. 903.9 (410.0) *3.09X 308 (140) Troy Nash (US/70) 9/12/09 (410.0 kg. @ 292.4 lb., without a squat suit) (Rock Hill, South Carolina) (APF)
11. 901.5 (408.9) *3.19X 308 (140) Jon Cole (US/43) 10/28/72 (905.0 lb. @ 283.0 lb., without a squat suit, which later weighed out at 901.5 lb.) (Phoenix, Arizona) (AAU)

J Wong
03-02-11, 1:57 pm
Who is going for 1000 this weekend?

Big Byrd
03-02-11, 2:09 pm
Rob Wilkerson, they guy at the top of the list above.

Seath308
03-02-11, 5:52 pm
The first ever 1K squat may go down this weekend! I hate im gonna miss it.

Rob Wilkerson, they guy at the top of the list above.

I just hope that the squat is legit depth. I would hate to see the first 1000 Raw squat be controversial because it was high.

IRBS
03-03-11, 9:06 am
I just hope that the squat is legit depth. I would hate to see the first 1000 Raw squat be controversial because it was high.

Depth from the front will be impossible to see. He is one of the largest human beings I have ever seen and by far the largest legs I have ever seen. I was there for his 975 and it was legit (was standing behind the side judge). The internet judges (gigantic tools) on powerlifting watch are idiots.

Sam can attest to Rob's size...haha, he is a large man...

No matter what though, the losers on powerlifting watch will find something wrong with it and will be whining and crying. All the more reason to take any comments there with a grain of salt. Especially from the Firefighter/Police Sub Masters Amputated index finger National State World Half Bench Shirt Champion of Champions (I GOT A TROPHY, IM A CHAMP!!!)...

Awesome total by the way Ben. The squat was sweeeet. That 700 pull was very very close. Keep it up man.

J Wong
03-03-11, 3:10 pm
I don't want to start some big heated debate/bashfest like you see on other websites, but is it true the SPF does not allow squats to be filmed from the side angle?

IRBS
03-04-11, 8:29 am
I don't want to start some big heated debate/bashfest like you see on other websites, but is it true the SPF does not allow squats to be filmed from the side angle?

I dont think they do. Not that I've ever seen anybody really try to anyway.

J A Y
03-06-11, 3:35 pm
news if filtering through and apparently Robert Wilkerson did it this weekend, he squatted 1000lbs raw... something else i've heard aswel is A.J Roberts and Dave Hoff both broke the world record totals, both going over 2800... not sure how the lifts broke down

J Wong
03-06-11, 3:39 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ensmFfAWGLI&feature=player_embedded

J A Y
03-06-11, 5:28 pm
i see the youtube haters are already bashing him, terrible...

Seath308
03-06-11, 9:06 pm
i see the youtube haters are already bashing him, terrible...

I'm sorry to say it because when I first heard that he got the 1000 pound squat I was jacked. I also heard from a guy at the arnold that said he sunk it so I was JACKED!. BUT! I really want to see another video but this video shows a high squat.

"Powerlifting defines a squat as being legal once the crease of the hip is below the knee. This is what we mean by taking a squat down to parallel. When the hip crease is at the knee, you’re at parallel."

Picture showing real squat depth

http://www.ampedtraining.com/2009/exercise-science/squat-depth

ghost
03-07-11, 7:14 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ensmFfAWGLI&feature=player_embedded

video removed by user.

IRBS
03-07-11, 9:00 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQYE3LVSgAM&feature=player_embedded

On Robs leg you cant see the hip crease from the front, all you can do is estimate where it is (and his thighs are over 40inches and he weighs around 400lbs). If you pause it at 30 seconds I believe it shows that he hits depth (in my opinion). Keep in mind I am not of the opinion that "convincingly deep" is neccessary. All you have to do is hit it.

Haters are gonna hate. Its the easiest thing for them to do. I must admit, there are some terrible things being said that have nothing to do with powerlifting by folks who dont use their real names on various boards out there. Its really shameful that people still act that way.

Congrats to Big Wilk!

IRBS
03-07-11, 9:06 am
"Powerlifting defines a squat as being legal once the crease of the hip is below the knee. This is what we mean by taking a squat down to parallel. When the hip crease is at the knee, you’re at parallel."

Picture showing real squat depth

http://www.ampedtraining.com/2009/exercise-science/squat-depth

In the SPF That lifter is 2-3inches below parrallel as I see it. The SPF Rule Book "A legal squat is performed when the top of the upper thigh at the hip (the �crease� of the hip) passes below the height of the knee." Meaning "top" of the knee.

Still, that a good basic diagram to go off of.

This goes to show that as long as we have 658394745937 federations out there, there will never be a consensus on depth. Which means lift where you want to lift and where you enjoy lifting.

Seath308
03-07-11, 2:53 pm
Couple more videos that shows this is not to depth at all. Look at the comments alot of powerlifters are not happy. Myself included.

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/18259

Seath308
03-07-11, 3:08 pm
Just saw this comment and I couldnt have said it better myself so I just stole it from him lol

"The bottom line is that when Malanichev made his 993 squat, there was not one hater on here calling him on depth. I wonder why? Probably because he actually made depth.

When there is a huge thread with people repeatedly calling Wilkerson's squat high, it's not because they all hate him for no reason. It's because the squat was high."

IRBS
03-07-11, 3:10 pm
Couple more videos that shows this is not to depth at all. Look at the comments alot of powerlifters are not happy. Myself included.

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/18259

Chad Smith from EFS just said in his log that he was 5 feet away and it was a good squat, but also that the videos have all looked high from the front. Chad squatted 865 raw and dunked it. I take his word over a bunch of internet judges looking at a video, sorry.

IRBS
03-07-11, 3:14 pm
From Chad Smith's log on EFS:

"I saw BIG Rob Wilkerson squat 1000, from about 5 feet away. I also thought Rob's squats looked high in video, but I thought this one was legit, and I had a good view. Did he bury it, no, but I have no problem with him getting white lights on what was a great achievement"

Works for me. A lifter I respect who knows what a squat should be who was there said it was good. That works for me.

Seath308
03-07-11, 3:45 pm
I can really care less if Chad Smith said it was a legit squat or not. I have been powerlifting my whole life and I can tell that it is high from the video you can pause it and see. I know that this squat would have only been passed in this Federation. No other federation would have passed this squat.

Big Byrd
03-07-11, 4:30 pm

No. They did this at ONE meet because they were getting in the way of the lifters coming to the platform and spotters/loaders/judges. They said all filming must be done from behind the head judge or other marked off areas to keep things organized.

prowrestler
03-07-11, 4:33 pm
I can really care less if Chad Smith said it was a legit squat or not. I have been powerlifting my whole life and I can tell that it is high from the video you can pause it and see. I know that this squat would have only been passed in this Federation. No other federation would have passed this squat.

if you pause your second video at 30seconds, you can see he hit par. a guy that gigantic won't have a hip crease from the front view so it's a hard call. the 2nd vid is slightly angled and it is much more clear he either nailed it or was at most an inch above

i really do not understand why you are complaining so much about it, if it wasn't to your approval, go do it yourself and show the world how its suppose to be done instead of bitch and moan on a forum.

facts are this, RW doesnt give a fuck what the haters have to say, the judges thought it was good, and Chad Smith was an eye witness, the squat is legal.

IRBS
03-07-11, 5:38 pm

Noted........................

SomeDayI'llBeXL
03-16-11, 5:14 pm
A big congrats to a big man. The fact that a human alone can have that much weight across his back and bend at the knees without getting crushed still boggles my mind a bit. HELLYEAH!!!

Good Luck Brothers

Big Byrd
03-16-11, 5:30 pm
I cannot comment on this squat because i was not there. Admittedly, the video is hard to tell depth. Rob is a VERY large man, with very large legs, and a very large belly; hell he is 400lbs! I was at the meet where Rob squatted 975 last year, and I stand by my comment that it was a good squat and i would have given it whites. I cannot, and will not judge this lift from a video. I judge most the SPF national and worlds meets, I know all the SPF judges and their standards. I do not know who these judges were, but all I have been acquainted with are fair and consistent and I am sure this lift was no different.

I hate to see the controversy with such an incredible feat. I have every confidence that this is not the last you will see from big Rob. Hopefully his next feat will have video that will satisfy most critics, knowing there is no way to silence them all.

Sprint
03-17-11, 9:42 am
A big congrats to a big man. The fact that a human alone can have that much weight across his back and bend at the knees without getting crushed still boggles my mind a bit. HELLYEAH!!!

Good Luck Brothers

X2 right here.

Sprint
03-17-11, 9:44 am
I cannot comment on this squat because i was not there. Admittedly, the video is hard to tell depth. Rob is a VERY large man, with very large legs, and a very large belly; hell he is 400lbs! I was at the meet where Rob squatted 975 last year, and I stand by my comment that it was a good squat and i would have given it whites. I cannot, and will not judge this lift from a video. I judge most the SPF national and worlds meets, I know all the SPF judges and their standards. I do not know who these judges were, but all I have been acquainted with are fair and consistent and I am sure this lift was no different.

I hate to see the controversy with such an incredible feat. I have every confidence that this is not the last you will see from big Rob. Hopefully his next feat will have video that will satisfy most critics, knowing there is no way to silence them all.

That's the thing, not wishing to bash but you've got experienced powerlifters who are right there saying it was good, and the judges who were there said that it was good.
I'd be more inclined to accept their opinions/verdicts than people who have simply watched the video & are calling it for themselves off that.

Machine
03-21-11, 8:52 pm
Awesome feat by an incredible athlete! Dont complain, dont make excuses, and dont explain yourself to anyone...just do what you were born to do. People may judge you harshly in the things you try to do but dont let that distract your efforts, just power through and be true to your vision. The rest is all bullshit.

MACHINE

LegendKillerJosh
03-22-11, 1:54 pm
If any of you haven't seen this before - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK7m6I5m6gY this is something everyone needs to see. I'm a Pat Mendes fan and this might be his most legendary video.

As for the 1,000lb raw by Rob, I'm not going to knock him very much. That lift seem pretty close to parallel, not nearly as bad as all the comments are making it seem. When you pause it at the bottom of the lift, his quads are nearly sloping downward from knee to hip, although his hip crease definitely is not quite as low as his knees. The thing is, he made that lift look so easy when he drove it up it looked like he could have squatted just slightly further to make it legit, although he is smart cause he did just enough for the judges to give it to him, why go deeper if he doesn't have to?