PDA

View Full Version : Shoulders

BigAnt
09-10-09, 4:21 pm
Your favorite shoulder exercise.....and why?

Me...Seated dumbbell press, I can control the rom and arc with the dumbbells/for when I get some shoulder stiffness/pain and still consider it a compound movement....

C.Coronato
09-10-09, 4:38 pm
I like hang clean and press .. is that considered shoulders? lol

aeon
09-10-09, 4:39 pm
It used to be seated shoulder press too, but now its STRICT seated side lateral dumbells. This ones really helped me to bring out my lateral portion of my delts during my last phase before my show!

Altered Beast
09-10-09, 4:40 pm
I use to do plenty of seated dumbbell presses myself. I switched to standing barbell push presses for power and overall shoulder width/thickness.

I like this better because I perform a lot of shaping/endurance exercises for my shoulders. I always perform heavy barbell shrugs for my traps with my shoulders as well.

theharjmann
09-10-09, 5:20 pm
the first exercise he does in this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZc6J89b1-E&feature=PlayList&p=E7C11C09CEB0DE67&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=17

pmug0000
09-10-09, 5:55 pm
Any and all kinds of lateral raises. Lately I've been focusing a lot more on incorporating different variations of laterals/raises in my shoulder workout and I think it's making a difference for me.

Muscleguy93
09-10-09, 6:02 pm
I'd say The seated OH press is my Fav delt movement.

J Wong
09-10-09, 6:07 pm
I rarely do these, but I did them today and they are now my new favorite: the standing strict press. It hits your shoulders hard, hits your core, and just builds overall strength.

Mattman33
09-10-09, 6:09 pm
i gotta throw in those "BigAnt Raises" to the mix.

shizz702
09-10-09, 8:43 pm
It's all about the standing barbell press fellas! Nothing will build your shoulders like it!

Maccabee
09-10-09, 8:45 pm
I love standing barbell presses because its hard and hits the delts realy hard.

I also like the 6 way raise because it hurts a lot. I learned this exercise from BigAnt.

mritter3
09-10-09, 8:51 pm
i got 2...standing bb presses, and seated lateral raises....both have been giving me some great results.

Firefist
09-10-09, 10:07 pm
people always give lateral raises shit, saying that they are inferior to military press for bringing out shoulder size. My shoulders were stubborn as hell and would not grow. I got some advice from house to do a few more sets of lateral raises than i have been doin and have the presses come second.

lateral raises are hands down my favorite.

Big Wides
09-10-09, 10:25 pm
Just one Ant? I would have to say all time favorite shoulder exercise is the clean and jerk. Its an all encompassing power movement that not only builds up the shoulder strength/size, but upper back, trap, and ab growth can't be beat. As of late its been seated front mils, they have helped my bench pretty well as far as building raw brute strength

jeff00z28
09-11-09, 2:40 am
just a basic military press

theharjmann
09-11-09, 4:13 am
people always give lateral raises shit, saying that they are inferior to military press for bringing out shoulder size. My shoulders were stubborn as hell and would not grow. I got some advice from house to do a few more sets of lateral raises than i have been doin and have the presses come second.

lateral raises are hands down my favorite.

true say, but all the stongmen (mariusz, kevin nee, derek poundstone etc) all have huge shoulders and all they do is press....

sunny_max
09-11-09, 6:15 am
Standing Millitary And Seated Lateral Raise.....

ActaNonVerba
09-11-09, 8:16 am
By far my favorite is behind the head seated press. Working hard to rep my body weight.

Firefist
09-11-09, 9:13 am
true say, but all the stongmen (mariusz, kevin nee, derek poundstone etc) all have huge shoulders and all they do is press....

oh most definitely! im not knockin on presses at all. i gotta atribute alot of the weight i gained on flat and incline bench to standing presses. presses are a proven, reliable move and rightfully should be a favorite of all. im just sayin the raises have done alot for me.

Lightnin'
09-11-09, 2:00 pm
I've been crushing my shoulders with what I call 45's.

15 seated dumbell presses with 30's, right into 15 seated lateral raises, right into 15 seated front raises, (sometimes I'll add in seated bent over rows to hit the rear delt)

1st set is tough, get through 4 sets of that and they are screamin!

Ends up being about 180 reps within about 15 minutes, depending on how much you rest.

Littlefry
09-11-09, 4:17 pm
Seated Shoulder press is always a staple of mine. I cant wait to start my next 5x5 cycle to really add some weight to it.

charlievanriper
09-11-09, 6:14 pm
It's all about the standing barbell press fellas! Nothing will build your shoulders like it!

Right on I am with Shizz on this one, Nothing and I mean nothing will build defined powerful shoulders like Standing Shoulder Presses ( Military Presses) the rest are just Icing on the cake. I love to Alternate Militarys with dumbbell presses, When I do this my Delts stand out like softballs on my shoulders lol.
Now that said you cant build those defined shoulders with one exercise so my finisher is definately Side DB Lateral raises. Rears I do when I do upper back, and Front raises I rarely do as pretty much everything else you do hits those.

BubbyLight
09-11-09, 6:22 pm
def have to go with majority with standing Press. def feel it working my core. heavy ass weight. cant hate on the seated press but not workin the core as much.

stole this from the house. front BB lateral. i like it

charlievanriper
09-11-09, 6:38 pm
def have to go with majority with standing Press. def feel it working my core. heavy ass weight. cant hate on the seated press but not workin the core as much.

stole this from the house. front BB lateral. i like it

You got to explain to me what a front BB Lateral is bro I cant seem to visualize raising a barbell out to the sides.

After this Chest Focus mini cycle is done I am going to focus on some Shoulder work and then Hopefully I will get my Military Press numbers up.

NickSP
09-11-09, 10:04 pm
You got to explain to me what a front BB Lateral is bro I cant seem to visualize raising a barbell out to the sides.

Front raises. Some people refer to the three types of delt movements as side laterals, front laterals, and rear laterals.

TigerAce01
09-11-09, 10:29 pm
Behind the neck push jerks. Takes a while to get the form, but once you do it's an amazing exercise.

-Ace

BryanSmash!
09-12-09, 1:56 am
Push Presses, and the Power Snatch.

dyskee
09-12-09, 6:01 pm
cleans and presses, followed by behind the neck presses

Big C
09-12-09, 10:29 pm
Gotta go with the meat n potatoes......seated heavy military presses. My favorite by far and key to big shoulders.

ironshaolin
09-13-09, 3:07 pm
Standing overhead work- strict military, push press, push jerk because the weight starts piling on there, and its great when you finish with an overhead lockout for 30 seconds, but I'm also a big fan of one arm dumbell and kettlebell presses. With a one arm dumbell press, you can get your elbow out to the side more if you're interested in "working the middle head", or something. Really, I just wanna put some heavy weight overhead, I don't care about "working my shoulders".

LoDown
09-14-09, 11:21 pm
Gotta be the standing barbell presses great movement for overall size, also got to throw in the bent over rear raises NICE! Later Brothers

Ir0nClad
09-14-09, 11:51 pm
Full range standing military presses is all you really need for big shoulders. Just keep adding weight to the bar and eat alot, when you can't add 5lbs, add 2.5, when you can't add that, add 1.25, its all about progressive overload.

Razor
09-15-09, 10:21 am
Side and Front shoulder raises have really done their job. I've never had more growth since i've been doing those things. AFter those i'd probably say seated dumbell presses.

violator
09-16-09, 5:42 am
kettlebell swings & Power cleans...gotta love em....

Hollow
09-16-09, 11:29 am
I haven’t’ done this one for a while but I remember picking it up from BigAnt and it’s a good way to fry your shoulders. If I remember correctly, it goes something like this:

Super Set the Standing Over Head BB Press (SOHP) with the Front DB Laterals for ten sets in total. You do one set of SOHP using ten reps and then immediately go into a set of 12 reps of Front DB Laterals. The next set, add 10 lbs to the SOHP and repeat. Each set you continue to add 10 lbs to the SOHP. Rest periods are kept to 45 seconds.

BigAnt
09-16-09, 10:18 pm
I haven’t’ done this one for a while but I remember picking it up from BigAnt and it’s a good way to fry your shoulders. If I remember correctly, it goes something like this:

Super Set the Standing Over Head BB Press (SOHP) with the Front DB Laterals for ten sets in total. You do one set of SOHP using ten reps and then immediately go into a set of 12 reps of Front DB Laterals. The next set, add 10 lbs to the SOHP and repeat. Each set you continue to add 10 lbs to the SOHP. Rest periods are kept to 45 seconds.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep you go it right...super setting standing over head press with lateral raises...gotta add weight EACH set to the presses....NICE!

H@rl3yB08
09-17-09, 9:36 am
controlled, side lateral raises for high reps are one of my favourites.

Ady
09-17-09, 1:22 pm
palms up lat raises :) gives the shoulders and rotator cuff a workout together

WeeMan
09-22-09, 6:04 pm
upright rows. mainly because i just started using them and feel such a burn in my shoulders and traps afterwards.

BigAnt
09-22-09, 8:21 pm
upright rows. mainly because i just started using them and feel such a burn in my shoulders and traps afterwards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------A great exercise for the delts, a wide grip hits the lateral head very good!

Close grip works traps more....

Tweek
09-23-09, 5:24 pm
Think i'm going against the grain here, but does anyone rate old school Arnold Presses up there with the rest? I use them about mid way through my shoulder work and find they are pretty comprehensive.

I read this thread before my shoulder workout today and threw in the Seated Lateral Raises (strict control) and now i'm a believer!

GUNS
09-24-09, 3:48 am
i did not read through this whole post so sorry if I hit the same thing. But if you want to change up and shock the hell out of your delts try 21's. 7 side/ 7 front/ 7 rear. Still do them strict. you can change weights in between but try to go continuous. I am currently on the rebound from back surgery, but these have always been a staple in shocking my delts. I am currently at 35lbs side, 30lbs front and 40lbs rear, 3 -4 sets. This is after heavy barbell presses. Try it and let me know how it feels.