PDA

View Full Version : Please comment on this diet, possible improvements

The Lantern
09-17-09, 8:22 am
Hey,

I am a 25 year old guy who has fallen off the wagon so-to-speak. I am former military, and while in the military I was 5'11'' 185-195 lbs with a 31 inch waist. I was pretty solid and I worked out very hard. In high school I was only around 160 lbs, so I was looking and feeling pretty good. It has been around three years since I got out of the Marines, and I am in awful shape and I'm going to do something about it. I'm currently 5'11'' and around 315 lbs. I haven't worked out or ran since the day I got out for a variety of reasons (I work full-time and go to college full-time.. some days I am gone from 4am to 7pm). I am no longer going to let that be an excuse. So please help me out with this diet. I know how to eat right, but things are kind of different since I weigh so much more and my goals have changed (from getting bigger to getting smaller while keeping muscle).

This is the diet I'm planning. I'm not sure how to deal with a few things but I'll put the questions at the end.

4:15am:
one piece of whole wheat bread + banana or apple

7:30am:
chicken breast, 2 hard boiled eggs (only white part)

10:45am:
1 serving of lowfat yogurt, 1 piece of fruit (banana, apple, grapes)

2:00pm:
tuna on whole wheat, 1c brown rice, 1c california blend or carrots

5:15pm:
2 hard boiled eggs (white part only), protein shake

8:30pm:
chicken breast, banana or apple

A few things:
I can't work out at the same time every day, but I will be working out probably around 10am or 1pm. I have serious trouble getting more than 5 hours of sleep because of my work/school schedule. I am going to do everything I can to get more sleep, but I'm hoping that as I start lifting again I will be less tired.

A couple questions:
1) I am not sure how to handle hunger issues. A couple people have advised me that I should be going to bed hungry each night. Another friend told me if I get hungry I should eat something and I should feel free to eat as much chicken and/or plain lettuce as I want. I am almost certain this isn't enough food for my bodyweight, but I really want to cut weight first and worry about building myself up later.

2) A lot of the fitness mags talk about eating a cheat meal or something once a week. I don't really want to tempt myself (and to be honest, if I had a cheat meal I would probably overeat), so is it really necessary to have a break from your regular diet?

3) How much is too much? I'm going to be doing a ton of cardio because really I am more of a runner than a weightlifter (although I do love lifting) and I am wondering how much stress I can put on my body. Is running for 30-45 minutes 6 days a week too much when I am also going to be lifting 4 days a week?

Thanks so much for all the help. I can be a really disciplined person if I make myself a detailed plan or list, so I'm trying to get back on the horse I've so obviously fell off of.

DBOY
09-17-09, 9:31 am
Glad to see you want to get back in shape. Life is life sometimes there's nothing you can do bout it just gotta roll wit it. Check out the CUTTERS:TEAM RED THREAD in THE HONORED section. Really great diet im in that contest right now, I've drop'd 23lbs n bout 4.3% bodyfat while maintaining at 178lbs of lean muscle mass. I've done this diet last year april of 08 start'd @ 250lbs 30% bodyfat n got down to 187lbs 12% bodyfat. And yes you get a cheat meal every sat or sunday for 30mins. And sometimes more chicken isn't always good my last meal is at 730pm n if im hungry after I can eat all the green I want to back fill. You should check it out cuz it works I can tell you from doing it n being currently on it. Good luck wit your diet n dnt give up stay on the straight n narrow!
DBOY

GJN5002
09-17-09, 10:11 am
easiest thing to do is figure out total caloric needs and break it up into the number of meals you need. I liek doing 6-7 meals with the same macro breakdown rather than having protein, fat, and carb amounts fluctuating. what is your bf%

GJN5002
09-17-09, 10:12 am
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=25801

try this thread ot help explain the basics