PDA

View Full Version : Metal IPF Viking Deadlifter - feedback needed

Hercules
09-18-09, 5:40 pm
I am considering using a deadlift suit for the first time. I have been competing raw but now that I'm deadlifting around 600 or more, I think it's time fo some sort of protective gear. I have heard nothing but positive things so far about the Metal Viking DL suit, but is it right for someone new to gear? Should I try an Inzer Z or Champion first? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I lift in the 242 class and do conventional deads.

BigChrisF
09-19-09, 4:56 am
I haven't tried the viking deadlifter, but I have some viking briefs and like the material. I use the metal pro and have had good success with it. I like mine to be tight in the hips because I feel I get better support out of it and enhances the pop off the floor. The viking and the pro will be incredibly tight in the crotch. You won't fully understand this until you try it out.

I haven't tried out the Metal King deadlifter yet, but those I know who have tried both the pro and the king, preferred the king. Apparently it doesn't crush you nuts as bad as the others. Sounds like a plus but since I started wearing a cup with mine, it isn't a problem.

I do not recommend the champion or z-suit for anything really. I think the Hardcore/MaxDL is a good beginning deadlift suit because it gives you support and pop off the floor, plus it doesn't really have a groove you have to get used to. I haven't tried the fusion, but I have heard good things. it seems like it would be similar to the metal pro. The fusion and the metal suits have a groove that you must practice with in order to get the most out of the suit. You won't be able to set up the same or get the same starting position as you would when you pull without a suit. Once you get the groove down, you should be able to get 80+ lbs out of the suit if it fits tight.

Next advice- If you get a tight suit, getting to the bar will be difficult. I typically will get my feet set how I want them and then bend at the knees and drop down while leaning to one side and grab the bar with one hand. Then I pull my self down and get a grip and pull off the floor. I do this all with one breath since I can't get a good breath when compressed by the suit. With a tight suit, your belt will not be set nearly as tight as it is when you pull raw. The tighter the belt, the harder it will be to get to the bar.

Cstlfx
09-20-09, 11:30 pm
I can comment on the Champion suit. Hell, I can bring it with me to the ABC if it will fit you. By the guide, whats your size?

For deadlifting, it gave me some pop off the floor. It wasnt a whole hell of a lot, like it was with the squat, but it made a difference. Very similar to using reverse bands.

Hercules
09-21-09, 6:12 am
I can comment on the Champion suit. Hell, I can bring it with me to the ABC if it will fit you. By the guide, whats your size?

Thanks for the offer. I'm a 40 in the Champion suit according to the Inzer site. I'm calling EliteFTS about the Metal Viking today. It's $99 new right now with a free t-shirt - not a bad deal for it. I've also seen the Titan NXG for less than $50 recently, but I've heard mixed reviews about it.

Cstlfx
09-21-09, 1:23 pm
Eh, I guess you can try mine on and see how a loose one feels. I have a 42. I think you're taller than me though, so it might make up for it.

IRBS
09-21-09, 1:30 pm
I haven't tried the viking deadlifter, but I have some viking briefs and like the material. I use the metal pro and have had good success with it. I like mine to be tight in the hips because I feel I get better support out of it and enhances the pop off the floor. The viking and the pro will be incredibly tight in the crotch. You won't fully understand this until you try it out.

I haven't tried out the Metal King deadlifter yet, but those I know who have tried both the pro and the king, preferred the king. Apparently it doesn't crush you nuts as bad as the others. Sounds like a plus but since I started wearing a cup with mine, it isn't a problem.

I do not recommend the champion or z-suit for anything really. I think the Hardcore/MaxDL is a good beginning deadlift suit because it gives you support and pop off the floor, plus it doesn't really have a groove you have to get used to. I haven't tried the fusion, but I have heard good things. it seems like it would be similar to the metal pro. The fusion and the metal suits have a groove that you must practice with in order to get the most out of the suit. You won't be able to set up the same or get the same starting position as you would when you pull without a suit. Once you get the groove down, you should be able to get 80+ lbs out of the suit if it fits tight.

Next advice- If you get a tight suit, getting to the bar will be difficult. I typically will get my feet set how I want them and then bend at the knees and drop down while leaning to one side and grab the bar with one hand. Then I pull my self down and get a grip and pull off the floor. I do this all with one breath since I can't get a good breath when compressed by the suit. With a tight suit, your belt will not be set nearly as tight as it is when you pull raw. The tighter the belt, the harder it will be to get to the bar.

x2 for everything Chris has said.

I have an old Viking Single Ply suit that I pulled conventional in at my last meet. It gives good pop off the floor, but dont expect a ton of support, gives just enough so that you are getting something out of the suit. I now use my Pro Squatter and pull Sumo. I love it.

I have used the Pro Deadlifter in the past, that is probably one of the best deadlift suits out there. I have not tried the King Pro Deadlifter, but I have heard it is even better.

My advice would be to get the Pro/King Pro Deadlifter. If it fits correctly, you will have to pull yourself to the bar like Chris said. Definitely practice, because the setup and groove is much different.

Z and Champion suits arent good for much, IMO. If youre gonna wear gear, we're something worthwhile...

Good luck.