PDA

View Full Version : Real Gains and lactose intolerant

SailinScotty
09-18-09, 9:16 pm
Just wanted to double check. I read the ingredients and don't see any prblem with taking it if lactose intolerant. Is this correct?

Muscleguy93
09-18-09, 11:25 pm
there is never a label that says "warning not for the lactose intolerant". it has whey( which comes from milk) and other things derived from milk so it wouldnt be a good idea. But who cares bro? Go to a pharmacy and buy lactase tablets there like 10$ for a few hundred tabs, pop one(or a few, depending how bad it is) and drink the shake.

mritter3
09-18-09, 11:50 pm
thats one alternative....or just try it, and see if it effects ya, ive heard some protein powders, even with whey wont give you all those unwanted side effects.

Wasteland
09-21-09, 9:35 am
Just wanted to double check. I read the ingredients and don't see any prblem with taking it if lactose intolerant. Is this correct?

Any milk-based protein will likely have some lactose in it. If you are really sensitive, or you really want to avoid all lactose, you have to look at non-dairy based protein powders.

Are you sure it's lactose intolerance and not a milk allergy? Milk allergies are much more common than people think, and I believe many who are allergic to milk mistakenly think it's lactose intolerance.

SailinScotty
09-21-09, 5:14 pm
Any milk-based protein will likely have some lactose in it. If you are really sensitive, or you really want to avoid all lactose, you have to look at non-dairy based protein powders.

Are you sure it's lactose intolerance and not a milk allergy? Milk allergies are much more common than people think, and I believe many who are allergic to milk mistakenly think it's lactose intolerance.

I'm not sure. It's for my gf's 81 yr old father. His doctors told him to drink weight gainers cause he hasnt been eaten solids. I know he can't have milk and ice cream so it could very well be a milk allergy. We are going to try it and if bothers him then I'll use it and try to find him something else.

J-Dawg
09-23-09, 12:05 pm
I'm not sure. It's for my gf's 81 yr old father. His doctors told him to drink weight gainers cause he hasnt been eaten solids. I know he can't have milk and ice cream so it could very well be a milk allergy. We are going to try it and if bothers him then I'll use it and try to find him something else.

Definitely would be good to check with his doctors b/c the whey and casein in Real Gains are both milk based. It's not as high as the lactose in a cup of milk b/c the majority of the lactose/sugars are filtered out when the whey/casein is extracted but there is still some leftover.