PDA

View Full Version : My Olympia

Beowulf
09-28-09, 2:34 pm
Interesting show this year. I was fortunate enough to be there. Seemed more crowded than I expected. Nothing really interesting caught my eye this year in the Expo. The companies seemed to do things a lot tamer than in years past. Pre-judging pretty much sealed the deal for Cutler. The weather was hot, hitting 100 degrees. Lot of pretty ladies.

Beowulf
09-28-09, 2:38 pm
What's the the deal with the Expo and the bodybuilding shows? You have to get in a taxi and drive for a good 10-15 minutes to get from the expo at the convention center to the Orleans and the shows. Trying to get a taxi on Saturday night after the show? What an ordeal.

Beowulf
09-28-09, 2:43 pm
Saw Hulk Hogan. Funny, not as big as I thought, considering his age. Reminds me of the first time I met Arnold. I expected him to be as big as a tree.

What's with all the cars in the supplement booths? Someone tell me what cars have to do with bodybuilding?

Beowulf
09-29-09, 1:29 pm
I think the judges got it right this year. Thinking back and looking at the pics again, they got it right. I've always wondered though what's at play when it comes to decisions like this. You always hear of politics. Money. Behind the scene machinations. While today's are impressive, I wonder if the 202 class is going to make it. I wonder if the direction of physiques will ever change.

J-Dawg
09-29-09, 1:45 pm
What's the the deal with the Expo and the bodybuilding shows? You have to get in a taxi and drive for a good 10-15 minutes to get from the expo at the convention center to the Orleans and the shows. Trying to get a taxi on Saturday night after the show? What an ordeal.

I hear ya bro. It wasn't an issue getting a taxi to the Orleans but when the show was over, there was probably a line of about 200+ people waiting for taxi's. Not fun at all.

Razor
09-29-09, 1:52 pm
I have to say Cutler looked amazing compared to his show the year before. He deserved it. I just saw his routine on youtube. Hard work pays off. Good for him.

U Mad Brah?
09-29-09, 1:56 pm
wish i could have made it out there this year brahs. haven't been to vegas in years and def don't miss the taxi's

Beowulf
09-29-09, 3:28 pm
I hear ya bro. It wasn't an issue getting a taxi to the Orleans but when the show was over, there was probably a line of about 200+ people waiting for taxi's. Not fun at all.

I have to say Cutler looked amazing compared to his show the year before. He deserved it. I just saw his routine on youtube. Hard work pays off. Good for him.

wish i could have made it out there this year brahs. haven't been to vegas in years and def don't miss the taxi's

How long did you have to wait J-Dawg?

Not sure about the future of pro bodybuilding, but yeah Cutler deserved the win too in my opinion.

Vegas is a weird town. It has a lot of money, yet feels morally bankrupt somehow. Go figure.

Beach91
10-04-09, 1:46 pm
Hey Beowulf, I was there too, and agree Cutler won it deservedly so. i thought branch looked as best as he ever did and deserved the 2nd place spot too. His physique isnt overly pretty, neither is cutlers, but at the O they are looking for the most mass with the best conditioning and you have it in those 2 packages.

i am more a fan of tighter waist, streamlined competitors, that are more a combination of size, genetics and shape and am afraid those days have past by. i think politics does play a huge part, this year the judging was good though i could agree with it, last year i dont think Jay even deserved to be top 5 but his sponsor got him a better placing, and if you look at past olympias there are several years where placings have been downright brutal. With Dexters win and the invention of the 202 i was hoping the trend was going to reverse to that of aesthetics/mass best combo wins, but it seems to be most mass first, then conditioning second, then some aesthetics thrown in at the end.

Kinda sad, i didnt agree with English winning the 202 though. i wish they would up it to 210 lbs, to get a wider range of guys like hide and possibly silvio in there. I cant wait for the return of Priest though and I think if they want it to be successful they have to pay more, i heard first place only got 10,000, compared to Cutler winning 200,00.

dedsqtbnch
10-04-09, 1:53 pm

what did you search to find it

Beowulf
10-05-09, 8:50 am
Hey Beowulf, I was there too, and agree Cutler won it deservedly so. i thought branch looked as best as he ever did and deserved the 2nd place spot too. His physique isnt overly pretty, neither is cutlers, but at the O they are looking for the most mass with the best conditioning and you have it in those 2 packages.

i am more a fan of tighter waist, streamlined competitors, that are more a combination of size, genetics and shape and am afraid those days have past by. i think politics does play a huge part, this year the judging was good though i could agree with it, last year i dont think Jay even deserved to be top 5 but his sponsor got him a better placing, and if you look at past olympias there are several years where placings have been downright brutal. With Dexters win and the invention of the 202 i was hoping the trend was going to reverse to that of aesthetics/mass best combo wins, but it seems to be most mass first, then conditioning second, then some aesthetics thrown in at the end.

Kinda sad, i didnt agree with English winning the 202 though. i wish they would up it to 210 lbs, to get a wider range of guys like hide and possibly silvio in there. I cant wait for the return of Priest though and I think if they want it to be successful they have to pay more, i heard first place only got 10,000, compared to Cutler winning 200,00.

I agree with you beach. Cutler deserved this one based on what I'm guessing is what the judges are looking for. Like you though, I'm a fan of tighter waists and greater symmetry. I hope pro bodybuilding moves in this direction, and I think they are with the 202 in general. But I think the IFBB moves slowly. Some would say, too slowly.

Beach91
10-05-09, 9:40 am
Far Far too slowly, the higher ups seem to fear change, and when something does change it takes so long to come into effect, the 202 division is a great idea, but to only pay 10,000 for the winner is kinda sad, i know its growing and it has just begun the last 2 years, but whats to stop kevin english or david henry from skipping the 202 and trying to place top 10 in the open, they would make more money this way then winning the 202.

I kinda hope they allow those who do the 202, if qualified for the Open class, to do both classes.

As for your post in another thread on the location, I agree, the Mandalay was and would be far superior, they must have received a supercheap deal from the Orleans. It woulda been a hell of alot easier on the cab situation after the show if it was at the orleans.

J-Dawg
10-05-09, 10:05 am
How long did you have to wait J-Dawg?

After the night show, you're talking about a good 45 wait. Possibly longer.