PDA

View Full Version : The Reconstruction Of GSant434

GSant434
09-28-09, 8:06 pm
As it turns out I was not so lucky. 2 weeks ago against William Patterson in my left knee popped. I tried to play through the pain the last 10 minutes of the game, but on a kick I felt it give out. The end result?

Ruptured ACL
Sprained MCL
Possible torn/bruised Meniscus
Femoral Bone Bruise
Tibial Bone Bruise

Surgery is tomorrow for the ACL allograft.

But I will not complain, I will not ask the Lord "why?". I will go about my business with slightly altered plans. Now my journey is the road back. Reconstituting my life along with my reconstructed leg.

Doctors say that you can return to physical activity anywhere 6-9 months after surgery, full strength somewhere between 12-18 months. However a few have advised against jumping back into sports less than 9 months from surgery.

Well that's not good enough for me. I won't accept that. I read Machine's article, and I feel as if I am not alone. I won't begin to compare what he went through to me. But none the less I feel the connection. If only to defy conventional logic.

- I will heal quicker, regain movement faster and progress more rapidly than they think I will
- I will find my way into the starting lineup for a spring season game.
- I will cherish the struggle I am about to endure, because it will forever change me for the better
- My prime is not yet here, my hour of glory has not yet come, and my moment of victory will be all the more sweet now because of this.

GSant434
09-29-09, 12:08 pm

That was the measurement of my left quad this morning. I sit now in a medical robe. Parents to my left. Father stern and quietly assuring. Mother fighting back feelings of worry for her only son. Me I'm just thinking about the nurse who told me I was "unrealistic" to think I would be back playing as soon as I think I will. 24.5 "how much will it atrophy?" my friends asked me. How long will it take to get it to 25 is the better question. I will overcome

GSant434
09-30-09, 3:28 pm
My night was near sleepless. Not for cause of pain but for the lack of it. The only complication from the procedure was that it took the Anesthesiologist an extra 20 minutes to actually find my femoral nerve to deaden the entirety of my left leg.

I can do little more than lay, eat, and drink water by the pint. I sickeningly long for the moment I can feel pain, the moment I can start facing this recovery head on instead of laying down feelin like the wounded waiting to die. But I will not give in to feelings of dispair. I will not grant my insecurities the pleasure of overcoming my strength. My strength will overcome.

GSant434
10-01-09, 5:33 am
It is 5:15 in the morning. As I lay in my bed soundly asleep a tingling sensation grows throughout my left leg. The tingle increases to a burn. This burn wakes me from my slumber as now my entire knee feels as if it's on fire. But yet it doesn't truely hurt. I choose not to look at it as the soreness of the operation. Not the antibodies of my immune system building scar tissue over my donated new acl. I feel the return of my soul to my leg. And as the fire purifies my leg with renewed vigor, I am overjoyed.

The medacine the drs tried so hard to inject into femoral nerve to block the "pain" has been overcome. They told me it should take up to 48 hours for full feeling to return. I'm at the 36 hour mark. To my end, my first victory has been won. The first of many to come. My leg has been baptized anew.

GSant434
10-02-09, 6:48 pm
10 Leg raises
10 Toe curls
10 Ankle circles clockwise
10 Ankle circle counter clockwise
10 attempts to curl my leg with the brace on
20 Minutes with ice On
90 Minutes with ice Off
2 Advil every 6 hours

I don't hate it, I don't think it's boring. I think its the start of it all. Its the beginning of my road back. How can any man hate the first steps of his journey? Given me plenty of time to think. To all ends of my life. Time for self-reflection can be more rewarding than time spent in the gym.

That's the extent of my days. The extent of the exercise I'm medically allowed to partake in til I'm re-evaluated Wednesday. The rehab I've been given til I actually get to physical therapy on Monday. I add those exercises and instructions together and I regain my sense of self. My focus returns to me on the hour. Thinking merely of doing my penance in bed, in this brace. Soon it'll be unlocked, soon my knee will be freed. Soon.

GSant434
10-03-09, 3:43 pm
I woke up his morning to ice my knee. Still hazy from the long nights sleep I walked out of bed to the kitchen and opened the freezer door. The light from with in seemed so bright. I reached into the cold and as I grabbed the ice packs it hit me. I had walked. Not with the crutches guidin me, not with my knee locked in it's brace. I walked with my own two feet. I may have limped there a little bit but I did it. And without realizing it. As if my mind tuned out my superego and just let the ego go about it's normal routine. Another day another step in the right direction. Off to ice it again now. Soon enough I'll be starting rehab and I won't need someone to acompany me there.

GSant434
10-04-09, 7:37 pm
It takes pride to stand on the sidelines. But pride I have. Pride in all the hard work I put forth since last December to be ready for this fall season. Pride in the meals I cooked. Pride in the PRs I broke in the gym.

But most of all, I took pride in my team. Pride in being part of something bigger and greater than me. My season may have ended 3 weeks ago, there's is in full swing.

Today Rowan Men's Rugby Club scored its first every home victory against Bard college. I was on the sidelines, wearing our spare jersey. I'm the 16th man now, and while its not the role I wanted, its the role I take pride in to help my team win.

PAZZO_Sper0
10-04-09, 8:50 pm
wow, I'm definitely subbing to this thread.

I too had acl reconstruction surgery.

I had an achilles tendon allograft put in with two screws.

It's very painful I know. And I can say first hand that I know the mental and physical anguish you are going through.

ON the very bright side, you are very optimistic and a true Animal. You are fighting and using both logic and intellect to bring yourself back.

Very inspirational and heart-pounding to read.

Subbed and yes, i'm rereading everything you have written.

good shit bro.

I feel your pain,
I feel your joy,

and I can say first hand you will become faster, stronger and better then ever.

good luck.

-Paz

D-NUTZ
10-04-09, 9:06 pm
Good luck with your return. I love your posts. Im subbed.

GSant434
10-05-09, 11:21 pm
I went about my routine as it has been these past few days. I woke up, limped my way to the bathroom and then to the kitchen. I crack open my egg whites, add hot sauce, tomatoes onions and start cooking them. I down my cup of oats with a pint of milk. Just because you're unable to train in the way you want doesn't mean you go about abandoning your daily routine. My daily routine has served to conserve as some mass though I'm down 10 pounds since the injury. "Today's food is the foundation for tomorrow's workout" is what I convinced myself many months ago. The workouts may be a ways away, so I figured I might as well stock up on the good food so I can have even better workouts. I got making up to do.

I strap on my icepack on for 20 minutes of numbing cold as I eat my breakfast downing my Pak & Uniliver. I down Flex with my next meal and some more Uni. Meal three comes and goes along with 4, 5 and 6. With them come Omega and more Uni-Liver. In between its more Ice. My knee has yet to convince my mind and body that it's suffering has been reason enough to give in to a craving for a Wendy's Junior Bacon Classic, or a Wawa Hoagie.

I keep the diet the going for the same reason you change your oil on your car. I believe that if you take of the things you need, the things you need will take care of you. The engine needs to run clean to continue to preform. So I'm keeping mine clean, especially now that the millage is up. They say vigilance is the price of safety. So I'll stay vigilant in my diet, granting me the safety of a strong body and strong mind.

PAZZO_Sper0
10-06-09, 7:04 pm
I went about my routine as it has been these past few days. I woke up, limped my way to the bathroom and then to the kitchen. I crack open my egg whites, add hot sauce, tomatoes onions and start cooking them. I down my cup of oats with a pint of milk. Just because you're unable to train in the way you want doesn't mean you go about abandoning your daily routine. My daily routine has served to conserve as some mass though I'm down 10 pounds since the injury. "Today's food is the foundation for tomorrow's workout" is what I convinced myself many months ago. The workouts may be a ways away, so I figured I might as well stock up on the good food so I can have even better workouts. I got making up to do.

I strap on my icepack on for 20 minutes of numbing cold as I eat my breakfast downing my Pak & Uniliver. I down Flex with my next meal and some more Uni. Meal three comes and goes along with 4, 5 and 6. With them come Omega and more Uni-Liver. In between its more Ice. My knee has yet to convince my mind and body that it's suffering has been reason enough to give in to a craving for a Wendy's Junior Bacon Classic, or a Wawa Hoagie.

I keep the diet the going for the same reason you change your oil on your car. I believe that if you take of the things you need, the things you need will take care of you. The engine needs to run clean to continue to preform. So I'm keeping mine clean, especially now that the millage is up. They say vigilance is the price of safety. So I'll stay vigilant in my diet, granting me the safety of a strong body and strong mind.

WELL SAID.

inspiring.

GSant434
10-06-09, 10:55 pm
I sat in the waiting room filling out the mounds of paperwork that I've become accustomed to through all these visits to medical institutions. How many times must one fill out the same information. Name, address, social security number, mother's maiden name, etc. Why can't information just be passed between offices?

The bad news and aggravation ended in that waiting room. I crutched my way to the back room for my consultation. I was met with equal parts excitement and relief. The therapist came into the room greeting me genuinely, He asked me about the extent of my injury and how my recovery had been going thus far. Then came the moment of shock, for him at least. He rolled up my pant leg to reveal my left knee. "Wow, that's awesome".

He removed the locked brace, his hands examined my knee carefully. He took measurements for the swelling at different points on my leg and compared them to my right. "Awesome" he repeated again and again. I'm apparently ahead of 90% of ACL recovery patients according to him. 6 days after surgery I've got the ability to bend my knee to 90 degrees and I still haven't taken a pain killer.

I go through the stimulation machine and the miliamps shock my quad back to full life. They give me a few exercises to take go through while the electricity does it job. I squeeze my quad harder than I've ever squeezed it in my life, and it still doesn't contract to full capacity. "Give it time," he tells me. So I squeeze the right one along with the left and suddently the quad locks up like its finsihing out a rep on extensions.

I run through the rest of the leg raises and standing calf raises routine that will guide me first thing in the morning and last thing at night for the next several weeks. He stretches me out when done and then elevates my leg as he throws on an ice pack for a 20 minute cool down. "Gerald in all honesty the biggest issue we're going to have with you is keeping your reins tight."

He's got it wrong, I'm holding my reins, not him. I am my keeper, he's just the advisor. But his words hold truth. I may not feel the pain of the replacement and reconstruction anymore, but even the least conservative studies I've looked at say it takes 6 weeks for the body to actually accept the new ligament as it's own. The more conservative put it from 2 months or more. On top of that I've got to make sure the Meniscus heals itself cleanly in this first month, otherwise I'll be looked at osteoarthritis by my 30s. Fuck that shit. I'll play it smart, but that doesn't mean I can't be aggressive.

Theres no rush in getting back any sooner than april, spring season won't start til then anyway. Might as well take the time to get it healed to its fullest potential by then. They've already told me I heal faster than most people, so if that's true, what I heal in 6 months should be more than most people do in 7 or 8. So for now I've got all the time in the world to do things right...it's the patience I'm trying to learn.

GSant434
10-14-09, 6:43 pm
Been away for 8 days. The progress has been steady, albeit slow and rapid at the same time. My range of motion, strength everything associated with the recovery aspects of the ACL replacement improve by the day. They're telling me I'm head of that part of my rehab.

What's inhibiting a more aggressive approach is the repair that was made to my lateral meniscus. The shearing effect on the meniscus that comes from something as simple as walking normally and the knee Flexion/extension involved needs 4 weeks of healing or so they say. As a result I my knee stays locked in its brace. I'm off the crutches as of last week, 8 days after surgery.

Monday I took my first steps on the treadmill on Monday, 13 days post opp. It was 5 minutes long at, 2 miles per hour. Relativity is applicable to all walks of life. For those 5 short minutes time slowed, and I realized my knee works. It bends, and it bends pain free to 90 degrees and every day its slightly more. But I've got to remember to pace myself. It's like rebuilding an old muscle car, just because you've got a new engine put in it doesn't mean the exhaust system is ready to handle it. So we'll keep the beast locked in its garage...for now. Every day, every exercise, every icing I see as spending more time with the wrench and bolting on the parts that will make the machine whole again. I'll leave with some words I've found inspiring recently.

"So, don't lose your heaven
Don't convince yourself you're done
Just cause the things around you seem heavy
Doesn't mean you can't get off this ground"

GSant434
10-19-09, 4:18 pm
Friday I received my re-evaluation at my Physical Therapist. 17 days after my surgery, I had regained within 2 degrees of my full extensor ability. A revelation which came as a shock to the PT's there. Unfortunately for me my left quad as atrophied from 24.5in to 23.75. My right quad did managed to increase .25. Have to take the good with the bad, as with all things in life.

Seeing that my leg was capable ahead of schedule, I was bumped up in my rehab. I went through the now routine leg raises and range of motion exercises, but they added in 5 minutes walking backward on the treadmill along with 5 minutes on the stationary bike. 10 minutes more of exercise than I've had in over a month.

The weekend was spent doing RICE (Rest Ice Compression Elevation), as the past several weekends have been. Celebrated mom and dad's 34th wedding anniversary on Sunday after watching my team win it's 3rd straight to jump from 7th to 5th in our division. Weather is getting colder round here now a days and the clocks are about to fall back soon. Can't wait for the winter's cold, it'll fuel me for the fight ahead.

GSant434
10-19-09, 11:25 pm
On the 20th day I've been cleared to go back to the gym. It came out of the blue today while I was going through my range of motion exercises from my therapist. "Well you're ahead of the curve by a significant amount, and if it weren't for the meniscal precautions your doctor has on you I'd say you'd be cleared for free weights as well. But for the time being I'd like you to get back in the gym on the resistance machines for your upper body."

So that means I'm gonna have to do it right. Do it smart, and do it careful, I'm still 21 days the ACL graft being fully "healed" so even with this early opportunity I've got to be focused. I'm not afraid of a setback if one comes, but I'm not about to go seeking one out.

Cardio is still going to be out the window for a while while the knee finishes "healing", so I'm gonna get started planing a clean bulk in the next day or two. State Cup tournament in April, got to meticulously plan this one out if I want to have a real shot at making it back to game form. Time to get after it.

machineman
10-20-09, 5:15 am
that's alot of shit to go through, brother.....sounds like you have a goal and a means to acheive that goal....good luck on the road to recovery....

GSant434
10-20-09, 6:12 pm
8oz top sirloin & 1 cup oatmeal
2 Scoops Real Gains & Whey Protein
8oz Chicken breast & 8 oz Yam
2 Scoops Real Gains & Whey Protein
8oz Chicken breast & 8 oz Yam
2% Milk
Water

Pak
Flex
Omega
Uni-Liver
Eaa Stack

2994 Calories
57.6g Fat
327.8g Carbs
291.1g Protein

Almost time to start growing.

GSant434
10-23-09, 12:37 pm
The supps are in, the food is bought. All that's left is to get back to the iron. 1:30pm today. That's the time. I have the advantage this time around. I will be going through the same progression of exercises that I had on my journey last December. It will start with an endurance cycle. Going to be rebuilding my base for the first two weeks. 2x20, 2 exercises & 3-4 sets per muscle group, 20-30 second break in between. No cardio. Should be getting some sick pumps. It has begun.

GSant434
10-27-09, 10:04 pm
Monday's test results are in. I wasn't able to get access to our hyrdostatic tank.
I went in for a 7 point computerized BF% test. Test was taken around 12:30pm EST. Came back at 217.9 and 12.1%BF, which I found to be lower than I anticipated.

Body Fat Weight 26.4 pounds
Lean Weight 191.5
Water Weight 141.5
Protein/Mineral Weight 50.2

Chest Skinfold 11.6cm
Midaxillary Skinfold 14.2cm
Triceps Skinfold 9.0cm
Subscapula Skinfold 14.7cm
Abdomen Skinfold 18.4cm
Suprailium Skinfold 12.4cm
Thigh Skinfold 8.4cm

Neck 16in
Bicep 15in
Forearm 9.5in
Chest 43.5in
Waist 40in
Hips 44.5in
Thigh 24.5in
Calf 16in

GSant434
10-27-09, 10:08 pm
First two weeks I'm be running an Endurance cycle, 20-30 second break between sets, and as quickly as I can load the weight on for the next exercise. Here are the particulars from workouts 1&2:

Friday Oct 23rd
Bench Press 115x20 115x20
Incline Bench Press 105x20
Divergent Lat Pull-Down 70ppsx20 70ppsx20
Divergent Seated Row 90ppsx20
Lateral Delt Raise Dumbbell 15x20 15x20
Anterior Delt Raise Dumbbell 15x20
Straight Bar Resistance Curl 60x20 60x20
Hammer Curls 20x20
Tricep Pressdown 50.5x20 50.5x20
Pronated Forearm Curl 15x20 15x20
Hammer Forearm Curl 15x20

Monday Oct 26th
Incline Bench Press 105x20 105x20
Chest Fly 115x20
Close Grip Pull Downs 115x20 115x20
Seated Lat Row 115x20
Anterior Delt Raise Dumbbell 15x20 15x20
Machine Posterior Delt Fly 100x20
Hammer Curls 20x20 20x20
Reverse Curls 15ppsx20
Overhead Tricep Press 50x20 50x20
Hammer Forearm Curl 15x20 15x20
Supinated Forearm Curl 15x20

What I take away from that each weight for the compound exercises went up anywhere from 10-30 pounds more than the workouts from Last December, which is the last time I restarted this cycle. I have everything in an Excel spreadsheet so it's nice to physically feel and see the gains I've made, on paper and in the gym.

GSant434
11-06-09, 12:12 pm
Wednesday Oct 28th
Machine Chest Fly 115x20 115x20
Bench Press 125x20
Seated Lat Row 115x20 115x20
Widegrip Pulldowns 115x20
Machine Anterior Delt Fly 100x20 100x20
BB Shoulder Press 95x20
Reverse Curls 15ppsx20 15ppsx20
Preacher Curls 15ppsx20
Tricep Kickbacks 15x20 15x20
Internal Rotation 20x15 20x15
External Rotation 15x15 15x15

Friday Oct 30th
Bench Press 125x20 125x20
Incline Bench Press 105x20
Divergent Lat Pull-Down 90x20 90x20
Divergent Seated Row 90x20
Lateral Delt Raise Dumbbell 15x20 15x20
Anterior Delt Raise Dumbbell 15x20
Preacher Curls 15x20 15x20
Hammer Curls 20x20
Tricep Pressdown 57.5x20 57.5x20
Pronated Forearm Curl 15x20

Monday Nov 2nd
Incline Press 110x20 110x20
Machine Chest Fly 120x20
Divergent Seated Row 90x20 90x20
Close Grip Pulldown 115x20
Anterior Delt Raise 15x20 15x20
Posterior Delt Fly 15x20
Hammer Curls 20x20 20x20
Reverse Curls 15ppsx20
Hamer Forearm Curl 15x20

Wed Nov 4th
Machine Chest Fly 120x20 120x20
Flat Bench 135x20
Close-Grip Pulldown 115x20 115x20
Seated Row 130x20
Military Press 95x20
Anterior Delt Raise 20x20
Posterior Delt Raise 20x20
Reverse Curls 15ppsx20 15ppsx20
Machine Curls 55x20
Tricep Kickbacks 15x20 20X20
Tricep Pulldowns 125x20

GSant434
11-25-09, 1:31 pm
Haven't stopped working hard, just haven't been updating this log as I have my excel spreadsheet at work. Took a week to taper off then did this as the first week of hypertrophy:

Monday Nov 16
Bench Press 165x12 175x12 185x10
Incline Bench Press 120x12 125x12 125x12
Machine Chest Fly 115x12 130x12 130x12
Decline Bench Press 155x12 155x12 155x12
Anterior Delt Raise 20x12 20x12 25x12
Lateral Delt Raise 20x12 20x12 25x12
Posterior Delt Fly 100x12 100x12
Reverse Curls 17.5ppsx12 17.5ppsx12 17.5ppsx12
Hammer Curls 25x12 25x12 30x12
Machine Curls 50x12 50x12

Wendesday Nov 18
Bent Over Rows 45x12 50x12 55x12
Divergent Pull Down 100ppsx12 100ppsx12 115psx12
Close Grip Pulldown 130x12 130x12 145x12
Divergent Rows 135x12 135x12
Military Press 125x12 125x12 130x12
Shrugs 65x12 65x12 65x12
Overhead Tricep Press 65x12 65x12 65x12
Tricep Pressdown 57.5x12 57.5x12 57.5x12
Close Grip Bench 135x12 135x12

Friday Nov 20
Incline Bench 125x12 135x12 145x12
Chest Fly 130x12 130x12 130x12
Decline bench 155x12 155x12 155x12
DB Chest Press 55x12 55x12
Lateral Delt Raise 20x12 20x12 25x12
Posterior Delt Fly 100x12 100x12 100x12
Anterior Delt Raise 20x12 25x12 25x12
Hammer Curls 30x12 30x12 30x12
Machine Curls 50x12 50x12 50x12
Preacher Curls 20x12 20x12

Monday Nov 23rd
Divergent Rows 135x12 135x12 145x12
Wide Grip Pulldown 130x12 130x12 145x12
Seated Row 130x12 145x12 145x12
Bent Over Rows 55x12 60x12
Military Press 125x12 130x12 135x12
Shrugs 65x12 70x12
Close Grip Bench Press 135x12 135x12 135x12
Pressdown 57.5x12 57.5x12 57.5x12
Kickbacks 20x12 20x12

The next 4 times in the gym will be 8x10 for all muscle groups. Physical therapy continues to progress and my legs are starting to get strength back. They've got me squatting 135 off a smith machine. It may not be much, but its a road back. And every rep I take I feel my left leg returning a little bit more of its soul.