PDA

View Full Version : Protein question

MaveN
09-29-09, 3:27 pm
Hey fellas, wasnt to sure where to stick this so i figured right here in the general diet section would be appropriate. Since i work out in the evenings, once im done i take a nitro, then wait 30 min and eat either a can of tuna or a potato (i bake it a bit to warm it up) and a protein shake. I want to get the best out of a shake for that night and i know whey isnt the greatest since its fast acting. What other protein source is there thats good to take at night? I hear casein is good because its slow digesting, but how long does it last and is there anything else thats good protein to last the night?

If this is in the wrong section my bad fellas! Thankin yall in advanced!

Beowulf
09-29-09, 3:29 pm
Hey fellas, wasnt to sure where to stick this so i figured right here in the general diet section would be appropriate. Since i work out in the evenings, once im done i take a nitro, then wait 30 min and eat either a can of tuna or a potato (i bake it a bit to warm it up) and a protein shake. I want to get the best out of a shake for that night and i know whey isnt the greatest since its fast acting. What other protein source is there thats good to take at night? I hear casein is good because its slow digesting, but how long does it last and is there anything else thats good protein to last the night?

If this is in the wrong section my bad fellas! Thankin yall in advanced!

What's wrong with a little ol cottage cheese?

MaveN
09-29-09, 3:37 pm
I could never stand the taste no matter how many times i have tried it! Anything but source of protein that will feed my body with protein throughout the night.

GJN5002
09-29-09, 3:42 pm
you mean last meal before bed, right?

Casein protein is good, cottage cheese if you can figure out a way to make it taste good or just add some fats and fiber to your meal and it will slow the digestion of the food.

MaveN
09-29-09, 3:59 pm
you mean last meal before bed, right?

Casein protein is good, cottage cheese if you can figure out a way to make it taste good or just add some fats and fiber to your meal and it will slow the digestion of the food.

Ok cool, im gonna look into casien protein. Any idea how long it lasts/digests?

Universal Rep
09-29-09, 4:40 pm

If you're gonna, look specifically for "micellar casein".

That said, there are many diff varieties of cottage cheese available in the supermarket. Some are def better than others, and there are differences in flavors across brands too. Experiment. Cottage cheese is good stuff.

charlievanriper
09-29-09, 6:09 pm

Micellar Caesin Protein (& Calcium Caseinate) is a very slow digesting and concentrated protein source that continues to feed your muscles long after whey proteins have slowed down. It is shown to offer a strong anti-catabolic effect not noticed with fast digesting proteins such as Whey Protein Isolate, and actually fosters a more positive "overall" net protein balance in comparison.

The reason for Casein's ability to maintain that extended release of amino acids is because of its digestibility. It forms a gel in the stomach, slowing the transit time in the digestive system, which slows the digestion of the Protein. Casein is the perfect protein source to keep a positive nitrogen balance whenever your needing to go more than 3 hrs . When you use a Protien source before bed take it 1 hr before any GH or Test Stak this will sensure that the Amino's do not compete with each other ensuring your growth and recovery benefits are maximised.

This is the reason Universals Milk & Egg Protein is a staple of my Supplement Program and the reason I continually am making the gains and improvements that I make each week.

MaveN
09-29-09, 10:17 pm
Micellar Caesin Protein (& Calcium Caseinate) is a very slow digesting and concentrated protein source that continues to feed your muscles long after whey proteins have slowed down. It is shown to offer a strong anti-catabolic effect not noticed with fast digesting proteins such as Whey Protein Isolate, and actually fosters a more positive "overall" net protein balance in comparison.

The reason for Casein's ability to maintain that extended release of amino acids is because of its digestibility. It forms a gel in the stomach, slowing the transit time in the digestive system, which slows the digestion of the Protein. Casein is the perfect protein source to keep a positive nitrogen balance whenever your needing to go more than 3 hrs . When you use a Protien source before bed take it 1 hr before any GH or Test Stak this will sensure that the Amino's do not compete with each other ensuring your growth and recovery benefits are maximised.

This is the reason Universals Milk & Egg Protein is a staple of my Supplement Program and the reason I continually am making the gains and improvements that I make each week.

Wow that some good info! Thank you thank you! i will look into that Micellar Caesin! Is it totally different from reguler caesin or is it around the same? Anything to last me for bed because i would take it while i eat my night snack around 10 or 11 and bed follows soon after so if that can keep me anti-catabolic and feed my muscles throughout the night its exactly what im looking for. I will also def look into the different cottage cheeses there are! A question that i just thought of as i eat my potato, whats the best way the have it? I microwave mine for a short time like 5 minutes so i dont kill all the nutrients in it, i know the oven or boiling it takes about a half an hour or more, so is baking it in the microwave 5-7 minutes still ok to do?

adidas
09-30-09, 7:20 am
Just eat a got damn steak or some chicken or some other form of solid protein...or go get your self some milk isolate protein powder and beef protein pwoder and mix in some coconut oil (MCT oil) and and drink it up....no need fo ranything fancy...

plus lets not forget one's metabolism slow's durring sleep...

charlievanriper
09-30-09, 11:29 am
Wow that some good info! Thank you thank you! i will look into that Micellar Caesin! Is it totally different from reguler caesin or is it around the same? Anything to last me for bed because i would take it while i eat my night snack around 10 or 11 and bed follows soon after so if that can keep me anti-catabolic and feed my muscles throughout the night its exactly what im looking for. I will also def look into the different cottage cheeses there are! A question that i just thought of as i eat my potato, whats the best way the have it? I microwave mine for a short time like 5 minutes so i dont kill all the nutrients in it, i know the oven or boiling it takes about a half an hour or more, so is baking it in the microwave 5-7 minutes still ok to do?

Bro thats fine just to get back on bedtime dont eat anything heavy within 2 to 3 hours before bed. If you do a Protien Shake make sure its nothing but water, protien p-owder and some fat like PB or Almond Butter, your object is not to gain weight here but to provide a fuel source to fuel your recovery or else you will go catabolic and break down muscle tissue for fuel, Carbs at night will not get burned up, plus they will fire your metabolism and you will not get a solid restful sleep.

Hit me up anytime bro and good Training.

NaturalTrainee
09-30-09, 11:42 am
Actually cottage cheese is an excellent protein source before bed cause it is slowly digested and will keep you going even when you're asleep. If you're using a whey protein mix it with milk in order to lower it's consumption rate due to the presence of casein. Another pick is the ol' good milk. Hit 3 glasses and rest and grow.

charlievanriper
09-30-09, 11:56 am
Actually cottage cheese is an excellent protein source before bed cause it is slowly digested and will keep you going even when you're asleep. If you're using a whey protein mix it with milk in order to lower it's consumption rate due to the presence of casein. Another pick is the ol' good milk. Hit 3 glasses and rest and grow.

Cottage cheese is a great source, I personally dont think 3 glasses of whole milk is to good of an idea unless you want to watch your bodyfat go thru the roof ( plus thats a lot of crappy chemicals your putting into your bvody. Milk is not as good as it was 30 yrs ago, so the argument that it was good for Arnold and the legends of BodyBuilding used it is not applicable today) and if your drinking fat free or 1% what a waste since its the Milk fat that makes you grow. I use them both a Shake and a 1/2 cup of Cottage Cheese and sleep like a baby.

Beowulf
09-30-09, 12:57 pm

Calcium caseinate is fine, but micellar casein is definitely superior and is less denatured.

MaveN
09-30-09, 3:11 pm
Bro thats fine just to get back on bedtime dont eat anything heavy within 2 to 3 hours before bed. If you do a Protien Shake make sure its nothing but water, protien p-owder and some fat like PB or Almond Butter, your object is not to gain weight here but to provide a fuel source to fuel your recovery or else you will go catabolic and break down muscle tissue for fuel, Carbs at night will not get burned up, plus they will fire your metabolism and you will not get a solid restful sleep.

Hit me up anytime bro and good Training.

Thanks man i will!:) Yep this is good stuff, thank you everyone! No i dont eat anything big, just something small with a light shake, il probably go with the caesin at night since i take whey through the day to just get a protein intake (nitro right after workout). Im gonna look into some cottage cheeses to switch out the potato and il throw some PB in there to for a little fat. Its just hard to time everything because i work out in the evenings but with all this help looks like i can still manage!

krazyassmexican
09-30-09, 5:56 pm
Just eat a got damn steak or some chicken or some other form of solid protein...or go get your self some milk isolate protein powder and beef protein pwoder and mix in some coconut oil (MCT oil) and and drink it up....no need fo ranything fancy...

plus lets not forget one's metabolism slow's durring sleep...

thank God for people that has the vission of tigger woods and can see the other side of the fancy brain wash that some supplement companies gave us for a long while

charlievanriper
09-30-09, 6:23 pm
Okay lets get it straight:
first here's to the Tiger Woods vision and his pocket book ( if you got it ) have all the Steak you want at an average 12.99 plus a lb for free Range beef.

Second I for one am not brainwashed by a supplement company, I come from an era where it was Steak, potatoes, eggs, and a Gallon plus of milk everyday ( it was clean and healthy back then). So I know the difference. Its not healthy or feasable to drink that much commercial milk today ( unless again you have Tigers Wallet ( at 5.00 a gallon for Organic thats insane), Steak is affordable now and then, eggs are even going up. When Protien Powders came into being they provided a convience that has become a neccesity for those of us on a budget, Its only smart living to understand the ways these powders and supplements can be used to our advantage in conjuntion with a solid food diet.

Now if you Train just for show and dont care about your long term health, then of course you can get commercial grade beef thats been raised standing in thier own shit and piss all day getting pumped full of antibiotics to kill any bacteria, yep you can get real inexpensive beef at Walmart. And of course genaric dairy products from cows in overcramped dairies under the same circumstances is affordable also, so drink as much as you want.
I for one am training not only for vanity and competition, but for long term Health ( since I dont have Tigers Wallet and cant afford Health insurance to get all the shots and pills that will keep all those man made diseases at bay, So I have to work hard to keep my immune system as strong as the rest of my body!

krazyassmexican
09-30-09, 6:33 pm
Okay lets get it straight:
first here's to the Tiger Woods vision and his pocket book ( if you got it ) have all the Steak you want at an average 12.99 plus a lb for free Range beef.

Second I for one am not brainwashed by a supplement company, I come from an era where it was Steak, potatoes, eggs, and a Gallon plus of milk everyday ( it was clean and healthy back then). So I know the difference. Its not healthy or feasable to drink that much commercial milk today ( unless again you have Tigers Wallet ( at 5.00 a gallon for Organic thats insane), Steak is affordable now and then, eggs are even going up. When Protien Powders came into being they provided a convience that has become a neccesity for those of us on a budget, Its only smart living to understand the ways these powders and supplements can be used to our advantage in conjuntion with a solid food diet.

Now if you Train just for show and dont care about your long term health, then of course you can get commercial grade beef thats been raised standing in thier own shit and piss all day getting pumped full of antibiotics to kill any bacteria, yep you can get real inexpensive beef at Walmart. And of course genaric dairy products from cows in overcramped dairies under the same circumstances is affordable also, so drink as much as you want.
I for one am training not only for vanity and competition, but for long term Health ( since I dont have Tigers Wallet and cant afford Health insurance to get all the shots and pills that will keep all those man made diseases at bay, So I have to work hard to keep my immune system as strong as the rest of my body!

so you live on a liquid diet for not being able to afford "healthy" food?

the whole point of my post is that you dont need expensive protein powders for something as simple as a before bed meal, if you can afford some whey and pb you are good to go, now, did you understand my stupid previous post?

rev8ball
09-30-09, 6:38 pm
Settle down, guys. Either be nice, or be gone.....

krazyassmexican
09-30-09, 6:41 pm
Settle down, guys. Either be nice, or be gone.....

icheck your pms in a few

charlievanriper
09-30-09, 6:55 pm
icheck your pms in a few

I understood the previous and I understand this one, it all comes down to one thing if thier is a need to budget cash flow then just use a blended protien powder, this is something I have stressed to younger and older lifters for years. Why buy 3 different kinds of Protien just use either Milk & Egg or something equivelant, Whey digests in less than an hour, PB doesnt take much longer. What are you gonna provide to spare Muscle Fiber for the additional 3 to 4 hours your asleep.
When it all comes down to it The only reason Whey is hyped is it breaks down and is absorbed fast into the Muscle Fiber, and the only time this is important is Post Workout. Understand Egg Protien breaks down about as fast, the only difference is that with the Blended you also get the benefit of the Cassien ( from the milk fat ) which will carry you thru the next meal. The issue is all about Nitrogen Balance, Whey ( unless you drink multiple shakes a day, and again that gets expensive) once digested is gone. Then your body is looking for fuel, your Nitrogen levels drop and you go catabolic for the last 2 hrs approx. The Milk end of Milk & Egg will carry you thru that period with balanced Nitrogen keeping your body in a solid Anabolic State.

charlievanriper
09-30-09, 6:57 pm
Really if your not using a Blended Protien, your not reaching your optimum reachable performance.

MaveN
09-30-09, 11:07 pm
Im on a budget, i only work part time so i gota make some sacrifices so i cant always buy a steak or chicken, so thats why i was lookin for something to last through the night and i have gotten plenty of answeres here i know i couldnt find elsewhere, thanks fellas once again!

krazyassmexican
09-30-09, 11:12 pm
Im on a budget, i only work part time so i gota make some sacrifices so i cant always buy a steak or chicken, so thats why i was lookin for something to last through the night and i have gotten plenty of answeres here i know i couldnt find elsewhere, thanks fellas once again!

chicken is a cheap ass protein source like a dollar something a lb

MaveN
09-30-09, 11:45 pm
chicken is a cheap ass protein source like a dollar something a lb

Wouldnt that be heavy before bed?

adidas
10-01-09, 5:39 am
Wouldnt that be heavy before bed?

no more so than cottage cheese, milk, cheese, casien/whey protein mix....

charlievanriper
10-01-09, 1:56 pm
no more so than cottage cheese, milk, cheese, casien/whey protein mix....

I respect your opinion on this one, but I have to say your wrong. Any chicken, beef, or even fish is going to force your body energy into digestion not recovery, CC, Milk Fat is digested differently. If I eat anything solid (except egg whites or Cottage Cheese) I dont sleep well, when I drink a blended Protien Shake I sleep great and wake up energized .
The reason for that difference is my body is fueled properly and I go thru the normal system recovery and refuel, my body doesnt have to give up one for the other. Thier is a reason why you will not find any champion level athlete that eats heavy right before bed.
If your going to eat meat dont eat it within 3 hrs of bed, and even then thats pushing the digestive window ( you want to reach a deep sleep thats when your body rebuilds itself, if your not getting your sleep your not growing.

charlievanriper
10-01-09, 2:08 pm
chicken is a cheap ass protein source like a dollar something a lb?????

I sure would like to know where your getting your Chicken bro, out here in the Southwest Chicken has been traditionally cheap and we are still paying 2.20 a pound for Factory style raised Chicken. I am paying ( and this is the least expensive I have found in Phoenix) 8.00 for a 3 lb bag of organic raised breasts, that more like 2.90 a pound.

MaveN
10-01-09, 7:05 pm
I thought chicken would be a solid food, not "heavy" in the sense of literally. Il probably go with the caesin, and kick the potato with PB (or unless i find a cottage cheese that taste good). I take zma at night also so i cant go to bed totally full.

charlievanriper
10-01-09, 7:47 pm
I thought chicken would be a solid food, not "heavy" in the sense of literally. Il probably go with the caesin, and kick the potato with PB (or unless i find a cottage cheese that taste good). I take zma at night also so i cant go to bed totally full.

It is a solid good food but it still takes a lot of time and energy to break it down into its usable Molecular parts. As I stated before the reason Milk Fat or Casien ( including Cottage Cheese ) are so good at night is simple. Once the easier digestible parts are gone to become fuel ( which usually is pretty quick) the Casien is made into a little ball in the stomach where (not to get technical ) where the body just attacks it a little at a time as fuel is needed, whereas with meat the whole Machine goes to work pulling and tearing and secreting Acids and just goes nuts trying to get the meal digested ( that is why you toss and turn and wake up in the middle of the night your body is working to hard) And thats why something light is always better ( the casien based protien shake or the 3 or 4 egg whites or 1/2 or 1 full cup of Cottage Cheese which ever suits your particular goal!

But your right you dont want a full stomach when you go to bed especially if your taking T-boosters or ZMA.

krazyassmexican
10-01-09, 7:50 pm
if you wanna get technical according to scott conelly the body process whole foods at a rate of 8grams of protein/hour i dont see why chicken will be bad, besides is not that you are gonna eat a whole chicken before bed 5.5oz gives you about 42grams of protein and eating 5.5oz of chicken is child's play

charlievanriper
10-01-09, 8:14 pm
Well its an opinion, but I will stick to my view after 40 yrs of eating and experimentation I know I do not get into a full restful sleep if I eat any type of meat based protien or any carbs within that 3 hr window. I have not read any of Scots finding's so I will not put a comment on that. I will say that my clients that listen to me grow and keep a lean tight physique, those that dont well they dont seem to stick around lol. I maintain a pretty good tight level of bodyfat for anyone let alone for someone my age, currently in a clean bulk so I weighed in this morning at 185 at 12.5% that a 4 lb increase in 2 weeks with only a 1.5% increase in bodyfat, so what I'm recomending works in my so not so Humble opinion lol.

K I'm not telling you not to do something you want to do, just saying thier are better ways. And in your 20's dude you can eat anyway you want. As you age and your met slows down you are not gonna be happy eating chicken and steak after 7pm at night.

MaveN
10-01-09, 9:53 pm
Well its an opinion, but I will stick to my view after 40 yrs of eating and experimentation I know I do not get into a full restful sleep if I eat any type of meat based protien or any carbs within that 3 hr window. I have not read any of Scots finding's so I will not put a comment on that. I will say that my clients that listen to me grow and keep a lean tight physique, those that dont well they dont seem to stick around lol. I maintain a pretty good tight level of bodyfat for anyone let alone for someone my age, currently in a clean bulk so I weighed in this morning at 185 at 12.5% that a 4 lb increase in 2 weeks with only a 1.5% increase in bodyfat, so what I'm recomending works in my so not so Humble opinion lol.

K I'm not telling you not to do something you want to do, just saying thier are better ways. And in your 20's dude you can eat anyway you want. As you age and your met slows down you are not gonna be happy eating chicken and steak after 7pm at night.

I feel, yeah im gonna go with that advice and keep it small and simple and take the caesin, thanks bro :D!

charlievanriper
10-02-09, 10:00 am
Its no big thing brother, I'm always here to help. Dont have much else to do during the day but Lift like a MF and train, talk on this Internet thing, and destroy worlds with a video game lol, the wifes at work, and business is slow right now. Just waiting for the storm to break again, I should get pretty busy around first week in Nov. Its kinda fun I get to pick and choose who I want to work with ( I consider myself semi retired, since nobody wants to give a worn out old man a Part time job or for that matter even full time, unemployment is pretty high out here and businesses want to hire people that are going to be with them long term, and I'm kinda lucky I inherited my Fathers house ( its paid for) my truck is an older 98 but paid for pretty much not under the gun so to speak, not on easy street but less struggles and worry than the average guy right now. Smart investing when I was young and we are okay, so really all I want is to supplement my training and my PT Business.) so when the calls come in I choose how busy I want to be and I only take on a new client anymore if it does not interfere with my Training.

So anytime you want to talk or if you have a question just shoot me a messege and I'll get back to ya probably the same day!

Wasteland
10-02-09, 10:41 am
Really if your not using a Blended Protien, your not reaching your optimum reachable performance.

I disagree with this statement. In certain situations, you want specific proteins, not blended proteins. That said, in the big picture, it really doesn't matter. A blended protein is great and can be solid all-in-one protein source. But at times, you may want specialization not generalization. Though this may stretch the analogy, post-workout, optimally (the key word here), some amino acids are better than others, just as some form of aminos are better than others.

charlievanriper
10-02-09, 11:08 am
I disagree with this statement. In certain situations, you want specific proteins, not blended proteins. That said, in the big picture, it really doesn't matter. A blended protein is great and can be solid all-in-one protein source. But at times, you may want specialization not generalization. Though this may stretch the analogy, post-workout, optimally (the key word here), some amino acids are better than others, just as some form of aminos are better than others.

True Wasteland in the best set of circumstances I would use Real gains post workout, Whey upon wake up, and pure 100% Casien before bed, but since like me my brother is on a budget ( anyways what unsponsored family man can afford to buy 3 different tubs of Protien Powder) so the best overall nutritional source for us to maintain growth is a Blended Protien like Universals Milk & Egg which will maintain a solid Nitrogen balance thru the day, and night again the concept is to keep the body in an anabolic enviorment as much as possible.

In my overly Arrogant, self Manical, Inflated Super Egotistical, Self Absorbed Love me or hate me dont give a shit what you think get moving or get the F*** out of the way not so humble Opinion

Wasteland
10-02-09, 12:15 pm
True Wasteland in the best set of circumstances I would use Real gains post workout, Whey upon wake up, and pure 100% Casien before bed, but since like me my brother is on a budget ( anyways what unsponsored family man can afford to buy 3 different tubs of Protien Powder) so the best overall nutritional source for us to maintain growth is a Blended Protien like Universals Milk & Egg which will maintain a solid Nitrogen balance thru the day, and night again the concept is to keep the body in an anabolic enviorment as much as possible.

In my overly Arrogant, self Manical, Inflated Super Egotistical, Self Absorbed Love me or hate me dont give a shit what you think get moving or get the F*** out of the way not so humble Opinion

I understand. As I was suggesting, in the big picture, it really won't make an overall impact in most cases for most individuals. A good MPI or TMP is fine and I use them myself.

MaveN
10-03-09, 4:13 pm
Got my micellar caesin today, gonna see how it is this week!

TigerAce01
10-03-09, 5:15 pm

This might be my new sig hahahaha This is a truly beautiful example of the english language...

-Ace

charlievanriper
10-03-09, 5:47 pm
This might be my new sig hahahaha This is a truly beautiful example of the english language...

-Ace

lol you like that, thats been my motto for yrs now. ( an old GF well short lived GF she could not handle my arrogance lol) told me that I was all that and some more that I dont print lol.

TigerAce01
10-03-09, 5:55 pm
lol you like that, thats been my motto for yrs now. ( an old GF well short lived GF she could not handle my arrogance lol) told me that I was all that and some more that I dont print lol.

Arrogance is just another level of confidence...a lot of people say that I'm arrogant when they first meet me, then they just realize I'm a confident guy. Women can't deal with it. haha

-Ace

charlievanriper
10-03-09, 6:00 pm
Arrogance is just another level of confidence...a lot of people say that I'm arrogant when they first meet me, then they just realize I'm a confident guy. Women can't deal with it. haha

-Ace

Gotta love it Ace, took a long time for me to find a woman who could handle me. Now that I got her lol I'm wrse than ever.

Oceanic6
10-03-09, 11:09 pm
try whipped cottage cheese. it is a lot better in my opinion.

TigerAce01
10-03-09, 11:13 pm
try whipped cottage cheese. it is a lot better in my opinion.

Put in some splenda and mmmm

-Ace

MaveN
10-04-09, 3:40 am
Isnt to much splenda bad?

TigerAce01
10-04-09, 5:25 pm
Isnt to much splenda bad?

I think anything not in moderation is bad...

-Ace

Beowulf
10-05-09, 8:52 am

-Ace

Arrogance is where you think you're always right and others are wrong. Confidence is believing you're right while making room for the fact that others may be right too and respecting that. That's my take, anyway.

charlievanriper
10-05-09, 12:07 pm
LOL I'm with TigerAce on this one. Arrogance is knowing your always right, Knowing your always at the top of your Game and Showing it, Being able to admit your wrong when proven wrong by another but showing the Confidence to strut away from that discusion with your head still up with the Gods in Olympus!
I AM Industructable
I AM Invinsible,
I AM

ANIMAL!!!!!!!!

MaveN
10-06-09, 4:26 pm
BLEGH! this caesin tasted terrible! Ok onto new options...cottage cheese or a can of tuna at night up next! Another question came to mind....does ZMA at night help with the whole catabolism thing? I mean since its heling you recover better, its gota have SOME effect helping you not be so catabolic, no?

GJN5002
10-06-09, 4:36 pm
BLEGH! this caesin tasted terrible! Ok onto new options...cottage cheese or a can of tuna at night up next! Another question came to mind....does ZMA at night help with the whole catabolism thing? I mean since its heling you recover better, its gota have SOME effect helping you not be so catabolic, no?

no, zma is going help more in terms of sleep

GJN5002
10-06-09, 4:38 pm
Arrogance is where you think you're always right and others are wrong. Confidence is believing you're right while making room for the fact that others may be right too and respecting that. That's my take, anyway.

Im with you, arrogance is a confident ignorant person.

charlievanriper
10-06-09, 5:03 pm

Are you kidding me what brand did you use, I've been using Universals Milk and Egg for ages now and I love it, my wife loves it, I havereccomended it to 10 or 15 people who now all use it. Your taste buds must be way different than mine.
Also even the label on the ZMA says do not take with any type of Calcium, so do your ZMA at least an Hr before your shake or Cottage cheese. Whatever yoiu decide to use.

Got My Animal Banner up, I'll post a pic tomorrow. Westown ABC is getting ready to bust out baby!

Tifferzzz
10-06-09, 5:19 pm
Just bought a new protein - it's a soy protein from Universal. Excited? Hell yeah I am. I bought the 1 1/2 lb just to make sure it's not grotesque tasting, but the things that I love:

#1. No wheat / gluten / etc.
#2. No Dairy
#3. Benefits of Soy
#4. Super low calories
#5. No Sugar / Carbs
#6. 24g Protein / scoop.

The pricing isn't bad either.

The other protein that I'd use instead of this soy (it's twice as much, but I love it) is AST's VP2. I'm taste sensitive, and this doesn't taste bad, plus the protein count is king.

TigerAce01
10-06-09, 5:20 pm
To the OP, stop worrying so much about being "catabolic" when you're sleeping...it's more a gimmick by companies trying to make you buy their products. Not eating for 8 or so hours when you sleep isn't that bad of a thing. Your body is doing more important things than eating during that time. Just eat something before bed if you want and leave it at that.

-Ace

Universal Rep
10-06-09, 5:22 pm
Are you kidding me what brand did you use, I've been using Universals Milk and Egg for ages now and I love it, my wife loves it, I havereccomended it to 10 or 15 people who now all use it. Your taste buds must be way different than mine.
Also even the label on the ZMA says do not take with any type of Calcium, so do your ZMA at least an Hr before your shake or Cottage cheese. Whatever yoiu decide to use.

Got My Animal Banner up, I'll post a pic tomorrow. Westown ABC is getting ready to bust out baby!

Gotta be honest, was never a real fan of Universal's old Milk & Egg formula. The one is light years ahead of the old.

TigerAce01
10-06-09, 5:22 pm

Milk and Egg is my all time favorite for gains and performance. Second to none. But the old flavor is something I used to dread. Mixed it with some sugar free nesquick and it tasted fine tho! haha I still have yet to try the new flavor.

-Ace

Universal Rep
10-06-09, 5:24 pm
Milk and Egg is my all time favorite for gains and performance. Second to none. But the old flavor is something I used to dread. Mixed it with some sugar free nesquick and it tasted fine tho! haha I still have yet to try the new flavor.

-Ace

Haha, yeah, I kinda dreaded the old M&E too...

krazyassmexican
10-06-09, 5:33 pm
Just bought a new protein - it's a soy protein from Universal. Excited? Hell yeah I am. I bought the 1 1/2 lb just to make sure it's not grotesque tasting, but the things that I love:

#1. No wheat / gluten / etc.
#2. No Dairy
#3. Benefits of Soy
#4. Super low calories
#5. No Sugar / Carbs
#6. 24g Protein / scoop.

The pricing isn't bad either.

The other protein that I'd use instead of this soy (it's twice as much, but I love it) is AST's VP2. I'm taste sensitive, and this doesn't taste bad, plus the protein count is king.

i dont see soy protein as beneficial for the body builder (not bashing universal, only bashing soy in general)

Tifferzzz
10-06-09, 5:37 pm
i dont see soy protein as beneficial for the body builder (not bashing universal, only bashing soy in general)

Here is an overly - extensive amount of information. Enjoy

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/southfacts_soy.htm

I can find more sources - if you'd like?

TigerAce01
10-06-09, 5:43 pm

BURN! hahahahaha I love the very subtle sarcasm...wish there was a little smiley face along with it bahaha

-Ace

Tifferzzz
10-06-09, 5:45 pm
BURN! hahahahaha I love the very subtle sarcasm...wish there was a little smiley face along with it bahaha

-Ace

Yeah - I was going to then hit reply to soon. Bah -

More info about Soy - this one actually puts Soy against Whey - which one is better? Read it to see.

*Inserts smiley face here ----> :)*

Oh - and one more thing - the protein that I bought from Universal - well - read for yourself:

First, Advanced Soy Pro is a complete protein supplement–it contains all the necessary amino acids that an athlete needs to grow. Second, Advanced Soy Pro has the highest ratio of "critical cluster" amino acids (glutamine, all three branched-chain aminos, and arginine) found anywhere–higher than egg, milk and even whey! Third, Advanced Soy Pro is both cholesterol and lactose free, making it perfect for athletes wishing to avoid dairy. Finally, only Advanced Soy Pro contains zero carbs and less than one gram of fat per serving. Mounting evidence suggests that regular use of soy can benefit the athlete by promoting cardiovascular health, inhibiting the conversion of testosterone to estrogen, boosting the immune system, lowering cholesterol, preventing bone loss and more.

MaveN
10-06-09, 7:35 pm
To the OP, stop worrying so much about being "catabolic" when you're sleeping...it's more a gimmick by companies trying to make you buy their products. Not eating for 8 or so hours when you sleep isn't that bad of a thing. Your body is doing more important things than eating during that time. Just eat something before bed if you want and leave it at that.

-Ace

Yeah that's what i may end up doing.

krazyassmexican
10-06-09, 8:38 pm

i saw studies realized by UIC and layne norton himself testing soy for anabolic properties, they found none, in fact they found some type or component in soy protein that works against protein synthesis, i cant recall who did the other study but was presented by scott conelly in which for six months they feed 3 groups of people with three different powders, maltodextrin, soy protein isolate and whey protein concentrate, those people were fat slobs who didnt workout and ate like shit, at the end of the study, they saw a weight gain, on the maltodextrin group, no changes, at all on the soy protein isolate group, and fat loss and some muscle builded on the whey protein concentrate

GJN5002
10-06-09, 8:56 pm

good source. a website trying to sell you soy protein from a guy with an ISSA cert (not nutrition) with no scientific citations.

prowrestler
10-06-09, 8:57 pm

-Ace

i saw studies realized by UIC and layne norton himself testing soy for anabolic properties, they found none, in fact they found some type or component in soy protein that works against protein synthesis, i cant recall who did the other study but was presented by scott conelly in which for six months they feed 3 groups of people with three different powders, maltodextrin, soy protein isolate and whey protein concentrate, those people were fat slobs who didnt workout and ate like shit, at the end of the study, they saw a weight gain, on the maltodextrin group, no changes, at all on the soy protein isolate group, and fat loss and some muscle builded on the whey protein concentrate

some one spoke to soon apparently.

nice 1 krazy

krazyassmexican
10-06-09, 9:10 pm
good source. a website trying to sell you soy protein from a guy with an ISSA cert (not nutrition) with no scientific citations.

quit being a haturrrrrrr brah lol

good call brah

much love

Cstlfx
10-06-09, 9:12 pm
Yeah - I was going to then hit reply to soon. Bah -

More info about Soy - this one actually puts Soy against Whey - which one is better? Read it to see.

*Inserts smiley face here ----> :)*

Oh - and one more thing - the protein that I bought from Universal - well - read for yourself:

First, Advanced Soy Pro is a complete protein supplement–it contains all the necessary amino acids that an athlete needs to grow. Second, Advanced Soy Pro has the highest ratio of "critical cluster" amino acids (glutamine, all three branched-chain aminos, and arginine) found anywhere–higher than egg, milk and even whey! Third, Advanced Soy Pro is both cholesterol and lactose free, making it perfect for athletes wishing to avoid dairy. Finally, only Advanced Soy Pro contains zero carbs and less than one gram of fat per serving. Mounting evidence suggests that regular use of soy can benefit the athlete by promoting cardiovascular health, inhibiting the conversion of testosterone to estrogen, boosting the immune system, lowering cholesterol, preventing bone loss and more.

Protein Pancakes made form Advanced Soy Pro is just as good, if not better, than G Diesel's Pancakes. I've never had problems using Soy Protein. There's also lots of different flavors.

TigerAce01
10-06-09, 9:24 pm
some one spoke to soon apparently.

nice 1 krazy

I just liked the sarcasm...didn't even read the articles. haha I don't really care about the whole soy vs whey vs casein vs hydrolized vs hemp vs egg vs whatever is now out there.

-Ace

prowrestler
10-07-09, 12:35 am
I just liked the sarcasm...didn't even read the articles. haha I don't really care about the whole soy vs whey vs casein vs hydrolized vs hemp vs egg vs whatever is now out there.

-Ace
as a henchman, your job should be to lead by example and shape the direction of the Forum itself. To guide members and to answer basic questions. *that is from the henchman thread by the way.*

"BURN! hahahahaha " is a comment worthy of the bullshit section.is that leading by example? is that the direction your tryin to shape? how is that suppose to make this thread any better? but hey, you know what did make it better? krazy posting back with information on his part of the debate. that is how good information gets provided amongst these boards. intelligent posts and debates in a polite manor.

if you don't care, thats fine, but why would you make a comment like that ? its makes NO sense. it was a legit thread that was going places.

Tifferzzz looked good, KAM looked good, i dont mean it offensively to you, but as a henchman, you looked like a jack ass.

TigerAce01
10-07-09, 8:04 am
as a henchman, your job should be to lead by example and shape the direction of the Forum itself. To guide members and to answer basic questions. *that is from the henchman thread by the way.*

"BURN! hahahahaha " is a comment worthy of the bullshit section.is that leading by example? is that the direction your tryin to shape? how is that suppose to make this thread any better? but hey, you know what did make it better? krazy posting back with information on his part of the debate. that is how good information gets provided amongst these boards. intelligent posts and debates in a polite manor.

if you don't care, thats fine, but why would you make a comment like that ? its makes NO sense. it was a legit thread that was going places.

Tifferzzz looked good, KAM looked good, i dont mean it offensively to you, but as a henchman, you looked like a jack ass.

I just found it humorous. Don't take things so seriously.

-Ace

Wasteland
10-07-09, 8:38 am
Some of you take this whole soy vs. whey thing too seriously. Both are good protein powders that can support significant growth. Yes, I said, both are good and have value and can benefit the lifter in the right circumstance as supplemental protein. To categorically dismiss one because of "studies" or "broscience" seems limiting. But to each his own.

GJN5002
10-07-09, 10:55 am
Some of you take this whole soy vs. whey thing too seriously. Both are good protein powders that can support significant growth. Yes, I said, both are good and have value and can benefit the lifter in the right circumstance as supplemental protein. To categorically dismiss one because of "studies" or "broscience" seems limiting. But to each his own.

I get what you are saying, but we are constantly examining scrientific studies and articles, yet we are supposed to not debate the findings when it comes to whey vs. soy. Universal doesnt ignore studies when they formulate supplements, so why should we just assume soy is as good as whey or vice versa? We should just take your word for it? Both may have value, but if one is superior, why use the inferior?

Wasteland
10-07-09, 11:06 am
I get what you are saying, but we are constantly examining scrientific studies and articles, yet we are supposed to not debate the findings when it comes to whey vs. soy. Universal doesnt ignore studies when they formulate supplements, so why should we just assume soy is as good as whey or vice versa? We should just take your word for it? Both may have value, but if one is superior, why use the inferior?

You're right and I agree. There's a time for discussion and debate, but we should never let it get in the way of dictating what we do and don't do. In other words, just because of forum talk and what we hear, we shouldn't just blindly accept this as the truth. The internet is a great tool but if you don't have the knowledge to understand its limitations or what questions to ask of that tool, it can harm more than it can do good. All too often, I see people misusing the information the internet provides.

That said, if you like, we can start talking about the "science" of soy vs. whey. I've got pubmed ready, lol.

GJN5002
10-07-09, 11:09 am
You're right and I agree. There's a time for discussion and debate, but we should never let it get in the way of dictating what we do and don't do. In other words, just because of forum talk and what we hear, we shouldn't just blindly accept this as the truth. The internet is a great tool but if you don't have the knowledge to understand its limitations or what questions to ask of that tool, it can harm more than it can do good. All too often, I see people misusing the information the internet provides.

That said, if you like, we can start talking about the "science" of soy vs. whey. I've got pubmed ready, lol.

I agree.

I'm sick of the soy vs whey arguement haha. I dont use it and dont care if anyone else does. I simply jumped in the debate due to a crappy resource.

Wasteland
10-07-09, 11:19 am
I agree.

I'm sick of the soy vs whey arguement haha. I dont use it and dont care if anyone else does. I simply jumped in the debate due to a crappy resource.

I actually use it. No, it's not my main protein powder fix. And no, I haven't grown breasts, lol. Oh the myths about soy.

prowrestler
10-07-09, 2:05 pm

-Ace

take your position seriously...then ill consider it

-pro

Universal Rep
10-07-09, 2:06 pm

-Ace

take your position seriously...then ill consider it

-pro

C'mon fellas... Let's all be friends and get along, eh?

Tifferzzz
10-07-09, 2:29 pm
This thread seemed to spiral completely out of control. Here's my take.

I have an extremely sensitive system. I potentially have Celiac's Disease which prevents me from eating anything with Wheat in it. I also have reactions to dairy that keep me drinking soy milk. I've tried various forms of Whey (GNC's brand, Elite, etc) and found that the product I loved the most was VP2. I didn't have any digestive issues or energy crashes and to benefit - it didn't taste bad either. The pricetag was a bit high, but you pay for what you get.

Hence - when I was looking for another protein through Suppelementwarehouse, I found the soy protein by Universal. The ingredients looked great, as did the nutritional outline - therefore that was my reason for initially posting. I don't know how my body will react to it, still waiting for it to get delivered.

In addition - soy has been shot down repeatedly by haters, but I continually see many articles dictating the benefits of soy. Is it beneficial to you? Never know until you try.

In summation: Everyone's body is different. Therefore - the supplements you take vs the supplements that I take will be greatly different. Go with what you love. If you love whey - then eat whey, but don't be afraid to try something new because it might be even better. The only perfect supplement in the world that everyone should be taking - Green Tea. other than that, it can be hit or miss...but fortunately with Universal and Animal...it's been 100% hit and no misses for me.

adidas
10-07-09, 2:48 pm
thanks But I'll stick with beef protein powder or whole egg powder...

Wasteland
10-07-09, 2:57 pm

Egg albumin, I suppose. Beef protein powder is an interesting option. Which specifically?

adidas
10-07-09, 3:09 pm
Egg albumin, I suppose. Beef protein powder is an interesting option. Which specifically?

egg albumin? so just plain old egg whites? what a waste IMO...all the good stuff is in the yolk. lol

and I only know of one company carrying Beef Protein Isolate that ISN'T just cartiledge (sp) or other beef waste product...its litterally steak/beef turned into a powder....

Universal Rep
10-07-09, 3:10 pm
egg albumin? so just plain old egg whites? what a waste IMO...all the good stuff is in the yolk. lol

and I only know of one company carrying Beef Protein Isolate that ISN'T just cartiledge (sp) or other beef waste product...its litterally steak/beef turned into a powder....

Yo A, you talkin' straight beef protein powder, right? I was just thinking the other day, wouldn't it be great to have beef aminos? Not liver specifically, but beef (and yeah, not cartilage or collagen or whatever)...

Tifferzzz
10-07-09, 3:12 pm
egg albumin? so just plain old egg whites? what a waste IMO...all the good stuff is in the yolk.

Perhaps - but all of the protein is in the white - not the yolk. The yold has the nutrients and fats, but the whites has the protein with minimal calories.

Universal Rep
10-07-09, 3:14 pm
Perhaps - but all of the protein is in the white - not the yolk. The yold has the nutrients and fats, but the whites has the protein with minimal calories.

Yeah, but A is talkin' about the yolk, which is chock full of nutrients....

Tifferzzz
10-07-09, 3:22 pm
Yeah, but A is talkin' about the yolk, which is chock full of nutrients....

Understood.

Universal Rep
10-07-09, 3:27 pm
Understood.

At least, I think... Many worry about yolks cuz of the cholesterol and fat, etc. Truth is, yolks are nutrient-dense. Besides, a little cals never hurt no one. Also, it's sat fat that you should be worried about when it comes to serum cholesterol levels, not dietary cholesterol.

Tifferzzz
10-07-09, 3:45 pm
At least, I think... Many worry about yolks cuz of the cholesterol and fat, etc. Truth is, yolks are nutrient-dense. Besides, a little cals never hurt no one. Also, it's sat fat that you should be worried about when it comes to serum cholesterol levels, not dietary cholesterol.

In regards to the egg, I found this information to be interesting:

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html

I've also read countless studies that show that eating eggs (including the yolk) can help you to lose weight which also helps to lower bad cholesterol.

Wasteland
10-07-09, 4:02 pm
When you were a kid, a rumor would get started at recess and by the end of the day, everyone in the school would be repeating that rumor. With the internet, well, you get the picture.

MaveN
10-07-09, 4:22 pm
I saw a protein poweder called "carnivors beef protein" or something like that, the company sponsers Kai Greene i beleive, was fruit punch flavored =P lol

GJN5002
10-07-09, 4:41 pm

a majority is in the white about 3.5g which puts 2.5 in the yolk. however like stated ,all the good stuff is in the yolk. Egg yoks will not raise your cholesterol, they will actually help to improve it.

GJN5002
10-07-09, 4:42 pm
Yo A, you talkin' straight beef protein powder, right? I was just thinking the other day, wouldn't it be great to have beef aminos? Not liver specifically, but beef (and yeah, not cartilage or collagen or whatever)...

it exists, I havent had it, but it just doesnt sound very tasty, beef protein powder that is.

Cstlfx
10-07-09, 5:02 pm
Beef Protein Powder? What flavors does it come in? Mesquite? BBQ?

Ugh, I do not want a beef powder. Pills, beef aminos, that could be good, cause Uniliver rocks. Beef powder, no.

Little Z
10-07-09, 5:06 pm
Beef Protein Powder? What flavors does it come in? Mesquite? BBQ?

Ugh, I do not want a beef powder. Pills, beef aminos, that could be good, cause Uniliver rocks. Beef powder, no.

A kid I know got a tub at graduation.. I looked at it.. and put it back down..

listed as "Fruit Punch".. he told me it first tasted like that, but then transformed into a coffee/mocha aftertaste..

he offered to let me try it.. i passed..

TigerAce01
10-07-09, 5:16 pm
Kai Greene talks about beef protein and a specific product all the time...but then again it's his sponsor company.

-Ace

prowrestler
10-07-09, 5:30 pm

hows the beef protien powder mix/taste?

cholesterol? ive yet to see any in canada

Tifferzzz
10-07-09, 7:05 pm
cholesterol? ive yet to see any in canada

ROFL! You crazy Canadians! Don't you know you're supposed to have high cholesterol with your southern counterparts! ;)

adidas
10-09-09, 9:06 am

No...half and half...actually more like 55% white/45% yolk protein content wise...

nutrients are basically exteme opposites 98% yolk 2% white....

best thing to have is both...but if I had to choose one over the other..I'm takin Yolks all day over whites...

and U-Rep I am talking striaght up beef powder protein (not liver, or plasma or anything else but steak style beef) I can PM you the company I am talkin about if you want to check it out.

My wife who is not a protein powder fan at all loved the chocolate flavored Beef isolate powder mixed with Chocolate flavored milk isolate powder...

I think the beef protein has little if any cholesterol in it.

its also hits ya for 28g of prtein per 30g serving unflavored...

Universal Rep
10-09-09, 9:46 am
No...half and half...actually more like 55% white/45% yolk protein content wise...

nutrients are basically exteme opposites 98% yolk 2% white....

best thing to have is both...but if I had to choose one over the other..I'm takin Yolks all day over whites...

and U-Rep I am talking striaght up beef powder protein (not liver, or plasma or anything else but steak style beef) I can PM you the company I am talkin about if you want to check it out.

My wife who is not a protein powder fan at all loved the chocolate flavored Beef isolate powder mixed with Chocolate flavored milk isolate powder...

I think the beef protein has little if any cholesterol in it.

its also hits ya for 28g of prtein per 30g serving unflavored...

Yeah, hit me up, A... Might give beef protein powder a run. Just makin' sure it wasn't serum or plasma...

adidas
10-09-09, 10:13 am
Yeah, hit me up, A... Might give beef protein powder a run. Just makin' sure it wasn't serum or plasma...

Just hit ya with a PM U and this company also makes soups liek broths out of the beef isolate as well...haven't tried that yet though...but have read great reviews on it!