PDA

View Full Version : Make these calves grow

animal83
09-29-09, 9:49 pm
I've been working out my calves 3 times a week seriously now for about 8 months. First exercise is designed like this seated calf raise with rep ranges 12,10,8,6,4. Second exercise standing calf raise 4 sets 8-10 reps. Give me your opinions animals and help me make my calves grow.

Pizzalamp
09-29-09, 10:05 pm
what got my calves growing was adding in sprints, running, walking up hills
along w machine work

and if u have access to a rotary calf machine def give it a shot

i also like high reps on the standing calf raise like 20-50 reps!!

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
09-29-09, 10:15 pm
what got my calves growing was adding in sprints, running, walking up hills
along w machine work

and if u have access to a rotary calf machine def give it a shot

i also like high reps on the standing calf raise like 20-50 reps!!

This guys right on the money. High reps is the way to go. Try running or climbing hills in a weight vest. Try to do a lot of straight leg movements, as it hits the larger part of your calves.

prowrestler
09-29-09, 11:13 pm
1 leg hops with a dumbell in the hand on the working side.

2-3 times per week, 15 -20 rep sets. they work.

RK
09-30-09, 12:21 am
Best thing that worked for me was twice a week 1 set 1 excercise going to 75 reps real real slow and controlled. Stopping as often as you need until you get to 75.....get ready for the pain.

BryanSmash!
09-30-09, 12:42 am
Do your calf work at the beginning of your workout, not at the end like most people do. Also if possible wear shorts when you train. With your calves exposed to the world, it'll give you a little extra motivation to train them harder.

JBlackapple
09-30-09, 11:51 pm
you gotta remember that high reps is what the calves are used to when you move around all day long...thats what they're used to so you gotta expose them to heavy weight and good form just like any other muscle group to make them grow..though high reps are a good way to flush all the blood ....my 2cents

calcaneous
10-01-09, 1:42 am

i just read this shit on t-nation.

GJN5002
10-01-09, 11:32 am

just started these along with walking on my toes on the treadmill with the highest incline. im sore we shall see if it equals growth.

krazyassmexican
10-01-09, 11:37 am
heavy fucking weights and "kinda" high reps

one or two sets and gtfo

Elite
10-01-09, 1:01 pm
No other muscle is approached like calves, never ceases to amaze me.

GJN5002
10-01-09, 3:25 pm
No other muscle is approached like calves, never ceases to amaze me.

because no other muscle seems to be so stubborn for so many people

type-A
10-01-09, 3:54 pm
Do not waste your time with straight sets. The key is to hit them hard rather quickly with good form and intensity. Drop sets,supersets, and giant sets are your calves best friend. Go all the way down,all the way up with a little pause in the middle. Train them anywhere from 2-3 times a week with I say atleast 8 reps or more. I train my calves in the rep range anywhere from 6 all the way to 50, on exercises like smith-machine calf raise,one-leg DB raise (hi-rep exercise),seated calf raise, and toe raise. Try everything and see what works for you, but definitely superset and drop set damn near everything. Now go get those calves!!

Lightnin'
10-01-09, 4:38 pm
I've been crushing my calves on the smith machine. Grab a aerobic step put in on the floor under the bar heels off the side. Jack up the weight put it on your shoulders and go until failure for 9-10 sets. I mix up my foot placement each set and it has been working well.

t_mh
10-01-09, 5:48 pm
I just measured and, since the last calf most a month or two ago, my calves have grown a half inch or more. They're still small as hell though.

I do this:

I've been crushing my calves on the smith machine. Grab a aerobic step put in on the floor under the bar heels off the side.

Or seated. And I get a stretch at the bottom. 15-20 reps usually.