PDA

View Full Version : 3 on 1 off....no not days, weeks!

theharjmann
10-01-09, 3:56 am
Hey guys,

I went on holiday for a week a couple of months back and decided to report on my finding. May help some of you, may not. Now dont get me wrong, trainign for 3 years, 5 days a week eating like a horse has given me some good gains. But recently my gains began to plateau.

I went on hoiday for a week and didnt train at all there. Maybe 15 minute treadmill here or there, maybe 40 pushups. I dont really call that training, especially since al i was doing all day was lying on the sun bed or eating meat/eggs!
So i guess i can say i didnt train for a week.

I got back from holiday raring to go in the gym. Put it this way....i smashed all my PRs and came back with much more vigour in the gym.

Now i train natural, and from taking that week off it really hit home to me the importance of REST. Now i dont mean rest as in 1 day off to get calories back into the body. I mean PROPER rest of the joints, muscles, tendons, cartilage, and most of all Central Nervous System. I also reduced my training to 4 days a week instead of 5.

Within 3 weeks people noticed a difference which is always a good thing!

I now have changed my split. I train 2 days on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off per week.

But the main thing is i train for 3 weeks then take 1 week off from training. Well when i say i take it off i still hop on the treadmill a little, do a few pushups etc. Nothing to straining.

This has helped me and could help others who are looking to bust through a plateau.

Peace

fenix237
10-01-09, 10:32 am
in the past when i've taken time off from the gym, intentionally or not, i've come back expecting to be weaker- like you, i've come back stronger...maybe i/we were due for a little R&R??

over the years, i've mostly did a powerlifting style routine, focusing on heavy compoung movements, always striving to move more weight- because of lack of dicipline at times or life throwing a curve ball, i've taken a few weeks off here and there, not necessarily a good thing, but i do believe it's given my body time to recuperate and heal- i have absolutely no chronic aches and pains- i feel part of that is due to extended breaks i've had- just my 0.02

i say if you feel it's worthwhile go for it!

LegendKillerJosh
10-01-09, 11:26 am
I would say taking a solid 3-4 weeks off per year is a great idea. I don't know about 1 week per month off. But if you go on an 8-12 week program, a week after will help you keep growing all year long.

live2lift
10-01-09, 1:44 pm
I have never tried 3 weeks on/ 1 week off, but I do take a week off every 6 weeks. I love it because it almost prevents you from hitting a plateau. I am a big believer that your body can only handle so much before you need to take a layoff, otherwise you will hit a wall in your training and your gains. Stay strong brothas.

Peace

Lightnin'
10-02-09, 1:20 pm
I've done 5 on 2 off for some time now. I guess I've always felt that if I take Saturday and Sunday off everyweek I am giving each body part around 5-6 days rest in between workouts. Why would an additional 7 days be beneficial?

fenix237
10-02-09, 4:03 pm
I've done 5 on 2 off for some time now. I guess I've always felt that if I take Saturday and Sunday off everyweek I am giving each body part around 5-6 days rest in between workouts. Why would an additional 7 days be beneficial?

it depends how intense your workouts are- by that i mean how hard you are taxing your CNS- if your doing the one body part per day routine, your giving your muscles 5/6 days off- not the CNS