PDA

View Full Version : DB rows

t_mh
10-01-09, 5:44 pm
I'm doing a 5/3/1 right now and the other day a kid asked me why I do DB rows as my assistance work on bench day. I didn't have a solid answer although Wendler specifically recommends them for bench press. I've heard that working opposing muscle groups on the same day can help increase strength and I know it takes a strong, stable back to bench well, but is there another reason why DB rows are recommended for the bench press? I'm going to shift my assistance work around a bit for the next cycle so any input is appreciated.

prowrestler
10-01-09, 5:56 pm
assistance exercises are geared to assist your main lifts.

if all your pushin muscles where strong and your pulling ones where crap, it would effect your bench negativly. oh, you will also get injured fast.

if your doin 5/3/1 and the actual template, that is the day where back work fits in.

bench press

- lat move
-tricep
-rear delt

BigChrisF
10-01-09, 9:01 pm
Dumbell rows for assistance for bench because you use your lats to lower the weight and to push it off your chest.

TigerAce01
10-01-09, 9:59 pm
Also, try doing your DB rows without supporting yourself on a bench or rack...it will aid you immensely.

-Ace

t_mh
10-02-09, 12:13 am
assistance exercises are geared to assist your main lifts.

if all your pushin muscles where strong and your pulling ones where crap, it would effect your bench negativly. oh, you will also get injured fast.

if your doin 5/3/1 and the actual template, that is the day where back work fits in.

bench press

- lat move
-tricep
-rear delt

Dumbell rows for assistance for bench because you use your lats to lower the weight and to push it off your chest.
Alright thanks guys. That's what I figured. Pro, I don't see any template where rear delts are included.

Also, try doing your DB rows without supporting yourself on a bench or rack...it will aid you immensely.

-Ace
Hm, I might have to try that. Would bring the lower back in more probably.

TigerAce01
10-02-09, 12:55 am
It actually involves your entire body. Try supporting yourself by placing your free arm on your leg. Nearly every muscle in your body will work to get the weight up. Many strongmen and Olympic weightlifters use this technique to really work their bodies.

-Ace

BryanSmash!
10-02-09, 4:05 am
Thicker lats also decrease the range of motion for the bench press.
Less ROM= More weight that can be used.

ironshaolin
10-02-09, 10:11 am
Kroc Rows!!!!!

Malloy1344
10-02-09, 4:39 pm

-Ace

I agree. I do them this way. It also saves the stress on your wrist from putting your opposing hand on the rack or bench when you started heaving real heavy dumbells.

ActaNonVerba
10-02-09, 8:52 pm
Does anyone have a link to a vid of these free standing DB rows??
DB rows are probably my favorite back movement so another variation would spice things up nicely. Can't seem to wrap my mind around the hand on knee technique though.

TigerAce01
10-02-09, 11:19 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pSxjRacucA

Not the best technique, but you get the idea.

-Ace