PDA

View Full Version : need help picking a workout Mark Rippetoe's or bill starr's

mr.bump
10-04-09, 5:30 pm
Hello I need a little bit of help here I haven't lifted weights properly in over a year because I have had bicep tendinitis and am getting back in the gym tomorrow.

Now I still have the bicep tendinitis but it doesn't hurt as much except for when I bench,so for now am looking on little workout to get my arm stronger than the bands I have been using what my physiotherapist give me .

Am planing on doing something like this
heavy bag for approx 5 rounds for 2 mins going to keep working at this till I can do it for about 30mins.

Then do this twice a week
all 3/4 x 10

tricep extensions
bicep curls
shoulder press
Dumbbell Lateral Raise
machine chest press
machine pull down
leg curls

3 x a week bw exercises 3x10 pushups pull/chinups dips crunchs

After am healed more I want to lose 5lbs and build strength

So after I have done this for a few weeks am going to switch the workout to something harder so what workout should I pick Mark Rippetoe's or bill starr's ?

Am thinking rippetoes because your doing a low intensity workout which am thinking is going to be better for me because am getting back into this after an injury.

But then bill starr 5 x 5 seems better because it's more work wich will help in weightloss.

shizz702
10-04-09, 6:20 pm
5x5 is more of an advanced program and won't really do much for you unless you are already putting up decent weights on the big 3.

Since you are coming off a long lay off I'd recommend starting strength instead.

I'd also recommend you just jump right into it, the sooner you start, the better.

Also, don't mistake its simplicity for low intensity, it gets very hard once deep in it. 3 sets of 5 across on squats gets to be a pain real quick lol.

But it is probably the best thing you can do to gain strength and mass after the lay off.

Littlefry
10-04-09, 7:39 pm
5x5 is more of an advanced program and won't really do much for you unless you are already putting up decent weights on the big 3.

Since you are coming off a long lay off I'd recommend starting strength instead.

I'd also recommend you just jump right into it, the sooner you start, the better.

Also, don't mistake its simplicity for low intensity, it gets very hard once deep in it. 3 sets of 5 across on squats gets to be a pain real quick lol.

But it is probably the best thing you can do to gain strength and mass after the lay off.

I agree with shizz on this one. Im a huge advocate of 5x5 by Bill Starr and know the program inside an out. I highly reccomend you start with starting strenght and run one or two 10-12 week cycles of it, than you can run a cycle of Bill starrs intermediate linear 5x5 version. Id say mark's program is like a stepping stone towards Bill's program. They are both excelant programs to gain strenght an put on noticable size.

Dr.Platypus
10-04-09, 8:00 pm
dude where are your SQUATS???

train your wheels hard n' heavy, specially waiting for your arm to heal

mr.bump
10-05-09, 11:38 am
Iv got muscle imbaleces in my kness (as well as the arm thing) or so thats what ive been told so it hurts when I squat.It seems to be getting better so I will be adding them in when I start ripptoes.

Quick quetion abut ripptoes tho on one of my cardio days (cardio being treadmil/rower and heavy bag) can I add in pushups dips pullups/chinups and abb work ?

Ive read some where you shouldnt relly add stuff to the program because it woks by not getting you fatigued, so your muscls are fresh for the next work out so you to add more weight.

Dr.Platypus
10-05-09, 11:58 am
gotcha dude, that's rough, hope you heal up

shizz702
10-05-09, 12:14 pm
Iv got muscle imbaleces in my kness (as well as the arm thing) or so thats what ive been told so it hurts when I squat.It seems to be getting better so I will be adding them in when I start ripptoes.

Quick quetion abut ripptoes tho on one of my cardio days (cardio being treadmil/rower and heavy bag) can I add in pushups dips pullups/chinups and abb work ?

Ive read some where you shouldnt relly add stuff to the program because it woks by not getting you fatigued, so your muscls are fresh for the next work out so you to add more weight.

First rule of Rippetoe's program, don't add shit to his program lol.

Seriously though, just do it as is, don't add or change anything.

Littlefry
10-05-09, 2:20 pm
First rule of Rippetoe's program, don't add shit to his program lol.

Seriously though, just do it as is, don't add or change anything.

First rule or Bill starr's program -> Dont F**k with it and add shit either!

mr.bump
10-05-09, 7:24 pm
After all this I go the gym today and my right arm is killing me :| I thought it was just doms from thursday because most of my body was hurting of a little workout I did ,but as the day has dragged on it been feeling worse.
Been trying to ice it all day had a hot bath and a contrast shower at home and been taking ibuprofen.

So looks like ripptoes will have to wait a few more weeks :(

Just hoping am not going to have to start doing my physio exercises from scratch again.