PDA

View Full Version : Proper dumbbell racking.

shizz702
10-05-09, 2:21 pm
Don't know if you guys have ever used this technique but it definitely has taught me something: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM5Nw_QBA9A

Lol dropping 100+ lb dumbbells ain't fun.

MrMonday
10-05-09, 3:13 pm
I thought everyone knew to do that... how ELSE would you get them into position?

t_mh
10-05-09, 3:26 pm
I do the same thing but I start seated. That way probably generates more momentum.

shizz702
10-05-09, 4:01 pm
I thought everyone knew to do that... how ELSE would you get them into position?

Getting them into position is the easy part, the point of the post was showing how to get them out of position safely without dropping them.

prowrestler
10-05-09, 11:28 pm

sit down arms bent, fall back into the bench and press them up...that would be exactly how else to do it.

possibly set up a pulley system coordinated to the music from the titanic if i wanted to get creative about it.

willah
10-05-09, 11:58 pm
Getting them into position is the easy part, the point of the post was showing how to get them out of position safely without dropping them.

I have the opposite problem - racking is easy, but getting them up is hard.

He makes it look so easy but just tonight I was going for a heavy DB set, screwed up the launch, and had to reset.

I usually try to kick them up to my shoulders with my knees from a seated position, but this is much smoother if you can master it.. I can't seem to.

MrMonday
10-06-09, 8:46 am
This may be slightly off topic, but this is one of the reasons I feel exercises like dumbbell bench press and dumbbell overhead press are so effective, because you really have to be big and strong all over to even get the damn things into proper position and press them with control.

You may occasionally see a guy benching 315lbs that has a nice chest but looks pretty imbalanced elsewhere, but I have never seen a guy dumbbell benching the 150s that had a small ANYTHING on his upper body.

shizz702
10-06-09, 8:22 pm
This may be slightly off topic, but this is one of the reasons I feel exercises like dumbbell bench press and dumbbell overhead press are so effective, because you really have to be big and strong all over to even get the damn things into proper position and press them with control.

You may occasionally see a guy benching 315lbs that has a nice chest but looks pretty imbalanced elsewhere, but I have never seen a guy dumbbell benching the 150s that had a small ANYTHING on his upper body.

Agreed, I try to tell some of my friends that but in my experience people are just too hard up for the good ol' barbell bench.

The thing about dumbbells is they force your arms individually to balance the weight, which hits all kinds of stabilizer muscles.

Personally I've found the db bench to work much better for me, I've never been much of a good barbell bencher, but I found the db bench produced gains both in size and strength for me quickly.

And yea it's pretty common to see average looking guys benching 315 but you only see the BIG boys playing with the BIG dumbbells lol!

prowrestler
10-06-09, 9:00 pm

if your not actualy strong enough to get the bells up, your never gonna press them.

they wont MAKE you strong all over, you have to BE strong all over.

its more impressive to bench bigger bells and much harder then it is to bench/wtv bigger barbells that are already set up for you.