PDA

View Full Version : 16 Yrs And Countin, Take A Trip To The Beach

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Beach91
10-05-09, 3:47 pm
Hopefully this is how its done, but I am gonna start my "official ANIMAL Forvm Journey" on the site as of today.

A little backdrop to this, I have been lifting since the tender age of 13 when i received my first weight set. Since this time, I have actually logged the better part of all my workouts and diet plans in binders, some 16 yrs worth of paper journeys. When i was a kid i was pretty fat, 180 lbs by the age of 12, which is weird cause some 12 years later i did my first competition in the light middle category at 174 lbs.

From the age of 13-17, every christmas, birthday, gift giving, whatever all i asked were for more of those plastic york weights, that i setup in my parents basement, building my Own "Breach" type gym, i still have over 800 lbs of weights, some benches and an old rusty cable machine down there for when i head home. I loved comics, superheros and wanted so badly to be superman early on, as well, seeing the old musclemagazines, i was always mesmerized by the physiques on Arnold, Zane, Nubret, and my fav. Lee Priest.

Thats basically why i took the Forvm Name of Beach91, its my ongoing and neverending quest and journey to create a physique reminiscent of those in the era of Musclebeach, the golden age of bodybuilding.

From the age of 18-29, i have been living in the big city here in Manitoba, In Winnipeg, were I have done several Manitoban and Canadian shows. I have been as heavy as 242 and 30% bodyfat in the offseason and as light 159 lbs at 3% bodyfat on stage for the Canadian Qualifiers. My best placings include 2nd in the Welterweight division at Provincials in Manitoba, 3rd in light middle at the Manitobans and 3rd at the Canadian Natural World Qualifiers. Its weird, I had never intended to do shows, but loved the challenge of trying to diet down and get lean enough to step on stage. I have no problems putting on weight, but dieting down is a whole nother game, i have done keto and low carb diets, and have relied on 2 hrs of running, yep running, cardio a day to get lean, my body simply does not like being lighter than 185 lbs, and it is always a struggle to get "stage lean".

After having done several shows, i have come to the realization, that Like Dorian Yates has said, i prefer the training and the battle to get to the show because of the challenge involved, but the actual getting on stage isnt the most enjoyable thing to me. Not sure why, but thats how i feel

anyhow thats my background and a bit about me, the reason for my Journey, one which I am on, which will never end, but one that I do enjoy, is to still create that perfect body that I have a picture of in my mind, I aspire to create that Musclebeach physique, albeit covered in tattoos, but that is what i fight for day in and day out

anyhow, thanks for stopping by, lets continue on this 16 yr trip to the sands of that hallowed beach!

Beach91
10-05-09, 3:58 pm
Hi Guys,
Here goes my first day I will log will be last saturdays workout, I am doing and enjoy high volume, I have tried other methods such as Mentzer/Yates intense all out sets, and trainign bodyparts once a week but have found training everything twice a week with more volume to be much more fun and productive for myself.

Leg Day

Extension 4 sets 15-20 reps
front Squats 6 Sets, 8, 8, 6, 5,5,5
ONe leg horizontal leg press 5 sets 10, 10 , 8, 8, 8
Smith Squats 7 sets 10, 10, 10, 9, 9, 7, 8
Hamstring Curls 6 sets 15, 12, 10, 8, 8, 8
Glute Ham Raises 6 sets 10, 10, 9, 8, 8 6
standing calf raises 4 sets 12-15
seated calf raises 6-10

Crunches 8 8-15 reps
oblique planks 2 per side by 30 seconds
superset with oblique crunchs 2 per side by 12 reps

30 minutes steady state cardio on bike

Hollow
10-05-09, 4:02 pm
Great to see you've got a journey up and going Beach91. Consider me subbed for this one.

Beach91
10-05-09, 4:03 pm
Day 2 of my split - Full Upper Body Power Day

Flat bench 3 sets 12, 10, 8
Incline Bench - 4 sets - 10, 5, 5, 5
Pec Deck - 2 sets 8, 8 reps

Cable Pulldown 3 sets 10, 8, 8
Deadlifts 5 sets, 12, 8, 5, 5, 4
T bar rows 3 sets 10, 8, 8

Dirty Dozen - shoulder exercise - 12, 12, 12 reps over 3 sets
lat raises 2 sets of 8, 6

Barbell curl 2 sets of 8 and 5
Hammer Curls 3 sets, 10, 8 and 7

French press 4 sets 10, 10, 8 and 8

reverse forearm curls 4 sets of 10-15
preacher bench wrist curls 2 sets of 15

Cardio on the stepper, 30 minutes steady state

Beach91
10-05-09, 4:07 pm
Thanks Hollow,
i have learned so much from everyone here, including yourself, by going over everyones Journeys while I am at work I figure why not fire my own in here and if someone can pick up something from it, thatd be reason enough to do it

ProteinJunkie
10-05-09, 4:09 pm
Subbed. Great life-story Beach and I think many can relate.

I'll be watching...

Beach91
10-05-09, 4:23 pm
Currently, i am taking in a below maintenance amount of calories on my way to a bulk diet. My current maintenance amount is around 2700 calories, so when i get into the full swing of bulking, my lifting days will have an excess of at least 500 calories, meaning 3200 daily calories (or more) on my lifting days. My cardio only days i take it down to around maintenance.

I do not take days off, a day off for me is a cardio only day, so i lift 4-5 days a week, depending on the week, and have 2-3 high intensity cardio only days a week.

My daily diet is about 2300 cals at the moment, soon to be 2500 next week, and so on, i slowly increase it over the weeks to limit fat gain, as well over the weeks i slowly increase the amount of weight i use in the gym, so simply put more food=more weight pushed=more muscle in time.

630 a.m. - 5 grams BCAAs

7 a.m. - 1 cup of slow cook steel cut oats
1 tablespoon all natural peanut butter
1 scoop of whey protein

9 a.m. - 5 grams BCAAs

11:30 a.m - 4 ounces of bbq plain chicken
8 ounces of yams
5 grams of 3-6-9 fish oil
2 p.m. - 5 grams BCAAs

4 p.m. - 4 ounches of bbq chicken
8 ounces of yams
5 grams of fish oil 3-6-9

4:30 - preworkout mix

5 grams BCAAS
2.5 grams creatine mono
1 gram citrulline
2 grams beta alanine
200 mg caffeine

5-7pm - usually a solid 2 hrs of lifting
7 pm. - After workout mix

5-10 grams BCAAs
2.5 g creatine mono,
2 grams beta alanine
30 grams dextrose

8 p.m - 1 cup steel cut oats mixed with 1 scoop of Whey protein

10 p.m. - 5 gram bcaas, then bedtime

12-2p.m - when i wake up to use the bathroom, i have another meal
4 ounces of chicken
8 ounces of yams

Thats what i am eating now, the protein isnt overly high, and will remain mostly the same throughout, I have done keto, and superhigh amounts of protein and have found that it wasnt optimal in terms of energy in the gym and the condition of my body. This past year I have read alot of Layne Nortons logs and have used a diet that subscribes to having about a gram of protein per lb of bodyweight, while consuming a great deal more carbs and have found this to work better for me in terms of keeeping my energy up, and my strength up, and it seems to keep me leaner as well, even though I am bulking I still want to see the lines of my abs.

Beach91
10-05-09, 4:29 pm
sorry I forgot to through in there, that for 10 of my 16 yrs, the Almight Pak has been along this ride.
on non training cardio only days i take a pak with breakfast in the morning

On training days, i consume pak with my afteroworkout shake, as Pak contains ALA which i believe has a synergistic effect with the creatine and dextrose i consume post workout. When i was 18 I used a container of a creatine/ala/dextrose combo, and the results i achieved from the creatine/ala/dextrose combo were amazing and its something i use till this day when bulking.

so thats my little explan. as to why i take my Animal multi aftertraining, as well i take in a second meal after my shake, so i believe 2 meals with the bulk of my daily carbs will help my bodys intake of all the nutrients in Pak

Beach91
10-05-09, 4:40 pm
Tonite all i have is a tiny cardio session to do

20 minutes cardio, high intensity,

20 intervals each interval consists of 15 seconds go as hard as possible followed by 45 seconds of a lighter resting rate, followed by another 15 seconds of hell, and so on and so forth until the 20 minutes are up.

I do cardio year round, when bulking I will most likely do cardio on my days off of weights only, although if i get too heavy in a bad way i will throw more in.

When getting ready for a contest, its usually 2wice a day, which i do not miss at all.

thats all 4 now folks

t_mh
10-05-09, 4:45 pm
Hopefully this is how its done, but I am gonna start my "official ANIMAL Forvm Journey" on the site as of today.

A little backdrop to this, I have been lifting since the tender age of 13 when i received my first weight set. Since this time, I have actually logged the better part of all my workouts and diet plans in binders, some 16 yrs worth of paper journeys. When i was a kid i was pretty fat, 180 lbs by the age of 12, which is weird cause some 12 years later i did my first competition in the light middle category at 174 lbs.

From the age of 13-17, every christmas, birthday, gift giving, whatever all i asked were for more of those plastic york weights, that i setup in my parents basement, building my Own "Breach" type gym, i still have over 800 lbs of weights, some benches and an old rusty cable machine down there for when i head home. I loved comics, superheros and wanted so badly to be superman early on, as well, seeing the old musclemagazines, i was always mesmerized by the physiques on Arnold, Zane, Nubret, and my fav. Lee Priest.

Thats basically why i took the Forvm Name of Beach91, its my ongoing and neverending quest and journey to create a physique reminiscent of those in the era of Musclebeach, the golden age of bodybuilding.

From the age of 18-29, i have been living in the big city here in Manitoba, In Winnipeg, were I have done several Manitoban and Canadian shows. I have been as heavy as 242 and 30% bodyfat in the offseason and as light 159 lbs at 3% bodyfat on stage for the Canadian Qualifiers. My best placings include 2nd in the Welterweight division at Provincials in Manitoba, 3rd in light middle at the Manitobans and 3rd at the Canadian Natural World Qualifiers. Its weird, I had never intended to do shows, but loved the challenge of trying to diet down and get lean enough to step on stage. I have no problems putting on weight, but dieting down is a whole nother game, i have done keto and low carb diets, and have relied on 2 hrs of running, yep running, cardio a day to get lean, my body simply does not like being lighter than 185 lbs, and it is always a struggle to get "stage lean".

After having done several shows, i have come to the realization, that Like Dorian Yates has said, i prefer the training and the battle to get to the show because of the challenge involved, but the actual getting on stage isnt the most enjoyable thing to me. Not sure why, but thats how i feel

anyhow thats my background and a bit about me, the reason for my Journey, one which I am on, which will never end, but one that I do enjoy, is to still create that perfect body that I have a picture of in my mind, I aspire to create that Musclebeach physique, albeit covered in tattoos, but that is what i fight for day in and day out

anyhow, thanks for stopping by, lets continue on this 16 yr trip to the sands of that hallowed beach!

Awesome, man. I'll be checking in.

Beach91
10-06-09, 4:15 pm
Up for 2nite is leg day no. 2 for the week.

as said earlier i do high volume, what i am currently doing for at least the next 6 weeks is a cross up between Layne Nortons ideals of training and Eric Brosers methodology. Taken from layne, i work all muscle groups twice a week, the weekend is saved for very heavy weights, very low rep scheme workouts. During the week is more of a hypertrophy higher rep workout scheme. What i am starting to incorporate is some of Eric Broser's ideas on Power week/Rep range week/Shock week.

Since i do power every weekend, during my weeks i will rotate my hypertrophy workouts to either be simple rep range workouts, power workouts or shock week workouts.

This week i want to play with some shock methods such as drop sets, negatives, forced reps etc. so i Will do a shock week and play around with this stuff.

I have legs tonite, which until 5 minutes into the workout, i hate with a passion.

After 5 min though its like a sick game, me vs the weights, i get soooooo into it its as if i am the only one in the gym and i imagine my quads pumping with blood like pistons and my hams filling up the room, while veins ripple across my calves.

With my ipod pounding, its kinda scary how into it i get, and i guess if your reading kind of weird, but thats just me, i mean no harm

except to those weights...

will post the workout later

Beach91
10-06-09, 9:26 pm
Well almost puked tonite, little dizzy, but i held her together. The ol grey shirt i was wearing was soaked, and a lot of people just stared, as if to say, "your not supposed to be soaked in her, this is a social gym" ha, anyhow kinda funny, heres what i did 2nite to shock my legs

Leg Press - 6 sets, 50, 40, 35, 22, 18, 17, after the last set i removed a plate at a time, doing 5 drop sets of 12, 15, 24, 34, 50

Hack Squats - 5 sets, 1st set was 15 reps warmin up, then i did 4 sets of 16, using a rest pause technique, doing 4 reps then 15 second rest, 4 more 15 second rest etc etc.

smith squat - 5 sets of 10-12 reps, simple slow decension, then when i got to the bottom i counted to 3 on every rep before coming up, these made me bleed sweat

Walking lunges - 4 sets 15, 12, 12, 11

Deadlifts, stiff leg - 5 sets 15, 12, 12, 8, 5 and then after the last set, u guessed it, drop sets till the bar was clear, first and second set i only could do 3 reps, then 6, then 9 and a few more with just the bar, uggh tough to make it through this, never done so many drop sets for stiff leg deads before

Hamstring curls - 6 sets of 21s, 7 reps from bottom to half, 7 reps from halfway to the top, then 7 full reps

supersets of hip abductor and hip adductor machines for 4 sets of 12-20

Calves - standing calf raises - 7 sets of 30s, i mix up foot position all the time on this, but the jest of it is 10 reps toes pointed in, 10 reps toes pointed straight, and 10 reps toes on the edge of the board pointed outward. Actually got up to 70 lbs on this, have done that in forever, been stuck at 30 n 40lbs as of late. slowly but surely.

thats it thats all, a good 10 min of stretching, after shake, and now i am eating oatmeal mixed with a whey shake.

fun fun fun

t_mh
10-07-09, 12:13 am
whoa man thats a shit load of leg work. nice job. you're gonna be fucked tomorrow haha.

Hollow
10-07-09, 9:08 am
Whoa! By the time I finished reading that leg workout my legs were twitching!

Outstanding leg workout Beach91! By the way...you weren’t planning on walking any time soon were you?

Beach91
10-07-09, 9:42 am
yEAH, Last nite was a hell of a workout, on the drive home i drank a good 2 litres of water to replenish what i lost, and the entire night and even right now, different parts of my legs are twitching.

One day after legs, I am usually pretty good, tomorrow, the pain sets in, and i know i won't be a happy camper

I have high intensity cardio tonite, so i am going to do the bike, and do some extra stretching after for my legs, as well i will do some abdominal/lower back core work too.

Hollow
10-07-09, 1:19 pm
With the added stretching tonight, it should help provide some relief to your legs.

Beach91
10-07-09, 9:58 pm
Did my HIT cardio tonite on the bike, 10 min warmup, then 20 min hells, then 10 min cooldown. I did 20 second intervals, 20 of them, each one followed by 40 sec. rest periods during the session

followed by abs
5 sets of 10-15 star type situps
3 sets of 10 woodchopper or sledgehammer side to side oblique crunches
5 sets of lying bicycle crunches
3 sets of 1 min hold of planks/while vaccuuming at the same time

then 15 min of stretchin

as the day has gone on my legs have become more and more painful from yesterdays workout, hopefully the cardio and stretching will flush more blood into em, but i can tell tomorrows gonna hurt

tomorrows fun though, upper body shock workout!!!!!!!!

Beach91
10-08-09, 10:50 am
I had planned to increase my calories this Saturday up to 2550 daily calories from my current intake. This is still below maintenance, but in the coming weeks I will continue to slowly increase my calories. As well, no cheat meals last week since i came home from vegas, this weekend I will be having a few healthy cheats over Sunday and Monday that include protein pancakes, burgers and peanutbutter n jam combo on toast! Can't wait.

Due to a family funeral, i have had to switch my days and will have to start my next week, Legs Power session tomorrow to get my workouts in, so I will be changing my daily diet tomorrow, and doing fridays cardio on saturday instead.

Anyhow the new diet program will look like this, I am adding some fats n protein in in the form of another spoon of peanut butter and will be adding in some extra carbs postworkout in the form of a baked potatoe. I am also playing with different protein sources and at times throw in egg whites, flank steak, and fish in place of some of the spots where i have whey protein.

Another note, my weight as of this morning was 191 lbs.

630 a.m. - 5 grams BCAAs

7 a.m. - 1 cup of slow cook steel cut oats
1 scoop of whey protein

9 a.m. - 5 grams BCAAs

8 ounces of yams
2 p.m. - 5 grams BCAAs

8 ounces of yams

5 grams BCAAS
2.5 grams creatine mono
1 gram citrulline
2 grams beta alanine
200 mg caffeine

5-10 grams BCAAs
2.5 g creatine mono,
2 grams beta alanine
30 grams dextrose
5 OUNCES OF BAKED POTATOE

8 p.m - 1 cup steel cut oats mixed with 1 scoop of Whey protein, 1 TSP NATTY PEANUT BUTTER

4 ounces of chicken
8 ounces of yams

Beach91
10-08-09, 11:49 am
i forgot to make one more change, I have cut down the amount of yams i eat in my last meal at night as i am simply not quite as hungry at midnite as I am throughout the day, and added in another quarter cup of oatmeal into my postworkout meal, as i am hungriest at this time.

And in looking at it, i had my measurements wrong on the steel cut oats, it was supposed to read 1/2 cup oats in both spots on the plan, now, my morning stays the same at 1/2 cup oats, while after working out it goes up to 3/4 cup.

Just listening to my body, this takes the calories up to the 2600 range.

630 a.m. - 5 grams BCAAs

7 a.m. - 1/2 cup of slow cook steel cut oats
1 scoop of whey protein

9 a.m. - 5 grams BCAAs

8 ounces of yams
2 p.m. - 5 grams BCAAs

8 ounces of yams

5 grams BCAAS
2.5 grams creatine mono
1 gram citrulline
2 grams beta alanine
200 mg caffeine

5-10 grams BCAAs
2.5 g creatine mono,
2 grams beta alanine
30 grams dextrose

8 p.m - 3/4 cup steel cut oats mixed with 1 scoop of Whey protein, 1 TSP NATTY PEANUT BUTTER

4 ounces of chicken
5 ounces of yams

Hollow
10-08-09, 12:05 pm
Diet looks bang on Beach91. I see you have an actual meal when you wake up in the middle of the night over a shake. Do you prefer having an actual meal at that point?

Beach91
10-08-09, 12:44 pm
Hey Hollow1,

i really love whole foods, and can easily say no matter how many calories i take in i always want more.

I did a huge clean bulk about 2 years ago, getting up to 242 lbs, eating the same foods i am now, just in unbelievable quantities, probably taking in between 4500-5500 clean calories a day and even then i was always hungry, and at that time, i didnt use any shakes mixed in with my oatmeal, it was mostly chicken, eggs, some beef, fish , peanut butter as my protein sources.

So to answer your question, i find eating my meals alleviate the hunger better than drinking them, i dont necessarily believe one protein source to be better over another at different times of day or for its functions, but i just enjoy eating my meals more than drinking them. In time that midnite meal may become a bowl of oatmeal and a shake mixed in or egg whites, but it will always be something that takes me at least a coupla minutes to get down rather than a few seconds.

My physique tends to look a bit more watery the more i rely on shakes, so i try to eat as many whole food meals as possible, and if having a shake i always combine it with a carb like oatmeal or yams to slow digestion and ward off hunger

Beach91
10-08-09, 10:43 pm
Ok here we go, did full upper body shock workout tonite

Incline Flys 6 sets 15, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6
superset with
Incline Barbell Bench Press 12, 10, 8, 7, 5, then 2 drop sets where i got 6 reps a piece

Flat Machine Press 4 sets of 21s ( 7 reps bottom to mid range, 7 mid range to top, 7 full)

Lat Cable Pulldowns, the 1.5 method (1 rep equals 1 pulldown, then go half way up and pulldown again, then go to the top and pulldown to midway)

4 sets of this for 15, 8, 8, 9

Cable Rows FST-7 method, I did 10 sets of 9-12 rep range, 25 second rest break between, stretching during rest breaks, my god the blood flowed through the lats tonite, felt like wings

2 sets of standing pulldowns 20 reps a piece, followed by 30 seconds of a hanging stretch from a chinup bar where you raise yourself a quarter of the way to flex your lats and just hang.

Behind the Neck Presses 3 sets of 12 using rest pause of 15 seconds after 4 reps

Lateral dbell raises 3 sets of 15, 10 and 10 which were superset with 3 sets of halfway lateral raises of 8, 4, 5 (they are halfway because u pickup a weight that is twice what you used for the first set and bang em out as high as u can for as many as u can, the first set for example i used 15 lbs for 15, followed by using 30 lbs for the halfways

Upright row 21s 2 sets, take as wide a grip possible for 7, come inwards with grip for the next 7 and the last seven hands are together

Biceps 2sets of dumbell rack runs
reps of 15, 10, 8, 6, 20 (first set was nutz)
second set 10, 6, 4, 4, 7, 12 ( second set not so much)

Superset
barbell 21s for 3 sets with
3 sets of upright dips (15, 10, 9 bodyweight only used)
Very little rest brake between these sets, maybe 30 seconds

Superset
Hammer curls 3 sets using a rep cadence of 1 second up, slow 8 seconds down, burn burn burn- reps of 10, 6, 8
superset with overhead dumbell extensions for 15, 10 and 9

Tricep superset
Reverse cable pressdown 3 sets of 12, 12, 10
triangle pushup 10, 6, 4 just dead here

forearm superset 15 on each set of reverse curls and normal wrist curls

all in all amazing workout finished it in 1 hr, 20 minutes, just humming, weight used was moderate but close to some maxes on some exercises, my rest breaks were very minimal, i just couldnt stop when i got in there, ever since the Olympia in vegas my workouts have been extra jacked

for about 30 min. i put my ipod on repeat for GNRs YOU COULD BE MINE, it reminded me of terminator which reminded me of arnold and even more association games played in my mind as i could see all the 70s greats in my head as if i were working out with them, side by side back in the golden age, it was so surreal, amazing.

Tomorrow comes legs for power

NUFF SAID

Firefist
10-08-09, 11:20 pm
hey man, count me in. you put good posts up in the forum, ill be in for the ride! good lifts so far, keep that energy goin!

Beach91
10-08-09, 11:29 pm
Thanks Anti-Asian for the support, You from Ohio? Are u heading out to the Arnold?

Firefist
10-08-09, 11:32 pm
Thanks Anti-Asian for the support, You from Ohio? Are u heading out to the Arnold?

hell yeah bro, wouldnt miss it for the world. your makin it down too i assume?

Beach91
10-08-09, 11:36 pm
I am super far away, but checkin into flights n hotels at the moment, the prices seem to be pretty good, so it looks like i will be, itd be cool if i did.

Be a pleasure to meet ya though, is it as crazy as everyone makes it out to be, and have u gone to the ABC they have on Sat. Nite?

Firefist
10-08-09, 11:43 pm
I am super far away, but checkin into flights n hotels at the moment, the prices seem to be pretty good, so it looks like i will be, itd be cool if i did.

Be a pleasure to meet ya though, is it as crazy as everyone makes it out to be, and have u gone to the ABC they have on Sat. Nite?

yeah for real man, start savin up! ive been throwin a 50 out of every paycheck i get to fund a trip back to taiwan, and its really been adding up. You still got plenty of time, so get crackin!

totally dude, be great to meet ya, OH GOD, the expo is CRAZY. its nothing like you will ever experience. most people dont understand what the big deal is, but right when you walk in through the door, pandimonium. i cant explain it, but whatever it is, it keeps me goin back haha. I didnt get a chance to go to the ABC, but i go to all the local ones, and OHIO is animal country haha. For sure man, get on down here and well get a lift in durin the arnold.

Hollow
10-09-09, 10:02 am
I appreciate the answer Beach91 and I’m glad to see there are others who don’t mind getting a late night (or early morning) meal in.

Outstanding workout Beach91!

Beach91
10-09-09, 2:43 pm
Hello, here goes with what i did for my normal leg weekend power workout

5 min warmup on stationary cycle

3 sets of leg extensions for 30, 25, 20

Front squats 8 sets - 10, 8, 6, 5, 5, 5, 4, 4, my strength went up on this exercise, if i havent explained before i use pyramid schemes for a lot my sets, for those that dont know, in pyramiding schemes i increase the weight each set, and decrease the repititons working up to around max weight for a given no. of reps

Smith Machine Lunges 6 sets - 10, 8, 8, 8, 8, 7, 9, i pyramided the wt. up every set here as well, the weights i normally use on this went up

Squats, normal barbell - 12, 10, 8, 8, 8 and 6

Hamstring Curls - 12, 10, 8, 8, 7, 6, wts went up on this one

Glute Ham Raises - 10, 10, 10, 8, 8 , 8

Good Mornings - 12, 10, 10, 8, 8

Calf Raises - 12 , 10, 8, 7, wt. went up on this one

cable crunches - 15, 10, 8, 4, 6, 8, 8, 6

bike cooldown - 5 minutes

stretching - 10 minutes

For all those reading please take time to stretch at the end of your workouts your body will thank u for it!!!!!!!

I have very very very bad posture, to the point that when i do shows i have saying ingrained in my mind when i head out on stage
"chest up, gut in" to keep my back straight, and i have very tight hips

doing proper squats and deads is a super challenge and a chore for me but these are the exercises that build winning physiques so i keep at em and slowly attempt to increase my wts throughout my weeks as i keep a little log of the weight i use on exercises. I am aiming to improve my overall legs at this point and my back as a whole.

in particular with my legs, my outer sweep on my quads needs impr., which is why i hit front squats first on my power days. Normally, what i am trying to improve i begin my workouts with, and hit while energy is high and my body is fresh.

In my next training cycle, i will probably begin my leg days with a hamstring focused exercise, as hamstrings can always be better, and on upper days i will begin with a back movement because during this cycle i begin with chest.

Very productive day today, heading out of town but will update my log sunday after my upper power day and of course tomorrows ever so exciting cardio session.

Cardio sucks

Firefist
10-09-09, 3:54 pm
awesome leg day, lots and lots of volume, yeah and i hear ya on the stretching.

Beach91
10-10-09, 10:20 pm
Did my cardio today, went out back to my parents farm for a day and used my parents old treadmill for my cardio, that thing is so mean on my knees, but i had to get it in and did. I followed it with a good 10 minutes of stretching which really felt good for my legs.

Up next is upper body power tomorrow, i cant wait.

and if i didnt say it b4

cardio sucks

Beach91
10-11-09, 6:47 pm
Today was Upper Power

did i say i love this day, lets get to it

Incline Barbell Bench 15, 10, 5, 5, 5, 4 - weights went up on this one
Flat Peck Deck 10, 8, 7 - wts went up on this one

Deadlifts - 8, 6, 5, 4 weights went up on this, i went up to 405 but my form was a little off after 2 reps i could see my back rounding a bit in the mirror so i re-racked after the second rep. On my last 8 week cycle i went to 405 for 4 reps, so obviously i want to beat that in the next 6-8 weeks, basically by the end of this cycle. My set of 4 was at 390, so almost there, my personal best on deads was 5 and a half plates per side for 6, but thats when i was bulked to 242, i dont plan on being that heavy anytime soon, but i slowly will pick away at this lift till i can get close to 5 plates

Tbar rows - 10, 8, 7, my wt. increased on this exercise

Lat pulldowns - 10, 8
Chin ups - 1 set of 6 very slow, really focused on form to get a good stretch at the bottom and a contraction at the top, boy did the blood flow on this one

Dirty Dozen for shoulders - 12, 6 (tried to go up in weight, couldnt do it), 12 at last weeks best weight

Lat raises - 8, 6

Barbell Curls - 8, 5

Hammers - 10, 8, 8, increase the weight up to 50s on this one

French Press - 10, 8, 8

Close grip bench - 10, 8 and 6 (at 225, havent done these in a looong time, my personal best is 300 for six, super surprised to do 225, didnt need a spot and did it easy, i like nice surprises in life like this!!

Forearm side wrist curls 3 sets of 12-20
superset with Crunches 3 sets of 10-15

Reverse wrist curls superset with weighted crunches, 3 sets each of 10-15

Decline situps 6 sets of 15, 15, 10, 8, 6 and 7, last three sets i added increasing weight too

stretching 10 minutes

today was killer fun, got covered in chalk and sweat, and worked out in the white Animal Pimp hat,

Pimpin may not be easy but tonite liftin was

I gotta make this harder

t_mh
10-11-09, 8:41 pm
Wow man. You're workouts have some serious volume.

Max-Angle
10-11-09, 11:40 pm
Nice man, I have no idea how you keep the energy to do all that in such little time, your crazy haha, by the end of my workouts i'm pooped, any advice on how to keep energized? Check out my threads.

Beach91
10-12-09, 12:33 am
Yeah guys, the workouts do take a lot of energy and have a bit of volume. A few things really help and work for me, i dont drink coffee or consume anything with caffeine or mood optimizers, my diets is super plain and super simple, so when i do take a caffeine pill before training, it hits me and hits me super hard, it flips a switch and it feels as if nitro is going through my veins. As well, the simplicity of my diet and carb choices give me a constant energy flow through my day, and my job, is a lot of phone work, customer care and sales and is not physically taxing. by the end of the day i am ready to run through the weights.

i have tried other workout styles and do cycle my training, after about 6-10 weeks, i will have a 2-3 week maybe more, cut phase, and my training will be maintenance 50-60 per cent of my max weights, higher rep ranges, and i will train everything once a week instead of twice. Its a nice change. I have been training for sixteen years and have followed most programs out there at one time or another, and my most productive gains that have helped me maintain a decent amount of leanness while adding some size come from training everything twice a week, while paying attention to all aspects of my diet.

And in the end, I simply love training, anything upper body, my god, i just love to do. Legs I hate the idea and the time leading up to it, but after the first few sets, i sickly get into it. When i train i lose track of time, which usually leads me to the higher volume, but if nutrition and rest are on point i can handle it and have a blast doin it. I also love music, and have an ipod jacked up at all times while training, i actually have two fully loaded ipods that i switch back n forth while training, so thats a huge boost as well.

Beach91
10-12-09, 5:10 pm
hEY ALL, ITS THANKSGIVING WEEKEND UP IN CANADA, so instead of my normal cardio session for today, i used the day off to begin my workout week, and did Legs, for a Rep Range Hypertrophy workout, it went well, my energy is superhigh as the title of this post states, Metallicas playin here tonite, i have front row ticks, so i have been jacked all day over it, and could barely sleep last nite

anyhow, my session today went as such

Leg extensions 5 sets of 10-20
Squats on the Smith Machine 15 total sets, i stole this one from one of TreeTrunkLegs workout sessions where u do 5 sets superwide stance, 5 sets at a normal leg stance, then i did the last 5 sets with feet together.

the first five sets i was getting a wicked pump n loving it, by set 8 though, i was thinking fuck i hate this and by the end of set 15 i was soaked and happy it had ended, the last two sets my legs were shaking by the time i hit my last reps.

Rep range i used was 10-15 and i used the same wt. for all sets. My first few sets i was taking 30 sec. rest breaks but by the end i was up to a minute and definitely sweatin like mad

Next up i did 8 sets of hamstring curls 10-15 reps

followed by a reverse good morning exercise done in an upright hack squat machine, where you faced the pad and keep your legs stiff and drop down till your upper body is parallel to the ground, while your legs stay stationary.
5 sets of this 10-12 reps

Seated leg curls 5 sets of 10-20

Hip abductor 4 sets of 15-20
hip adductor 4 sets of 15-20

standing calf raise 5 sets 10-15
seated calf raise 5 sets of 12-15

thats it thats all, glad its done, and hopefully the legs dont get too sore during the concert tonite, i am super jacked for it and cant wait

Northman
10-12-09, 10:02 pm
Whats with you high volume guys? I think you do more volume than even Chin does! That's saying something as I've always said he does more in one day than I do all week.

Beach91
10-13-09, 10:06 am
Hey Stiff, thanks for checkin out this log. As for the volume, i find it works, i ve tried the high intensity stuff Dorian style in the past and have found my workouts are either a Hit or Miss, they are either amazing or totally suck, I also find i can use/push out more weight if i build up to it through multiple sets, than if i do a few easy warmup sets and one or two all out sets.

I do cycle my training and usually follow 8-10 weeks of doing everybody part twice with tonnes a volume, with a cycle of 2-4 weeks lighter training, but for the most part high volume works for me and i enjoy it

Hollow
10-13-09, 1:05 pm
The past couple of workouts are looking great Beach91! Did your legs hold up throughout the concert, lol?

I hope you had yourself a great Thanksgiving and concert.

Beach91
10-13-09, 1:17 pm
Hey Hollow1, it was tough, the seats we had were amazing, Metallica was practically drippin sweat on us, it was nuts, we were jumpin the whole time. My legs were fine last nite and i couldnt sit still all day i was so exxcited for the show. Today, though, i feel it, my legs are killin me.

I am excited to head out to the gym tonite though, the ipods loaded with metallica and i am doing an upper body hypertrophy rep range session, for my chest and arms.

I am going to split it up this week and do a 2nd upper body hypertrophy session for my back and shoulders on thursday.

Cant wait till tonite and will log the workout later

Hollow
10-13-09, 1:25 pm
Good to hear that you had such great seats at the concert and that you had a good time. After that concert, tonight’s workout should have a bit more fuel to throw on the fire.

Beach91
10-14-09, 9:07 am
Yep Metallica Gave me Fuel N Fire, its that what i desire!

Last nights workout was tonnes of fun, i was pretty tired due to the concert the past nite, but i hammered on the ipod and the caffeine, i struggled through the chest exercises, but once i started arms, its like a switch went off and i had a new life, maybe it was the caffeine sinking in, not sure but arms last nite was a blast, i wish it last forever

Chest
Incline fly 6 sets of 10-15
flat barbell press 5 sets 10-12
Pec Deck 5 sets 0f 10-15
Inc. Machine Press 4 sets of 10-12

Biceps
Alt Dbell Curls 6 sets 9-12 reps
Preacher Curls 6 sets 10-12
Reverse Cable Curls 5 sets 10-15

Triceps
Pressdowns 6 sets 12-15
Overhead cable extensions 6 sets of 10-15
Seated Close grip dip pressdown machine 6 sets of 10-15
Kickbacks 4 sets of 10-15

Like i said above chest was tough once it hit the flat bench, but arms flew by, rest times between sets were under a minute for arms as i really got into it and had a blast. The workout was taxing but not in the way of a mass workout which is slow, plodding, very heavy weights. This was a quicker pace and i could really feel the blood movment through my arms, my form was tight, and with the slightly higher rep range i focused on feel. I was jacked by the end of the workout.

Firefist
10-14-09, 9:26 am
crazy volume up in here! awesome stuff.

Hollow
10-14-09, 12:38 pm
You got to love it when that mental switch flips and your workout kicks up another notch.

Insane volume Beach! Great work!

Beach91
10-14-09, 10:03 pm
did 20 minutes of HIT cardio tonite on the elliptical, which got me a little soaked.

I stretched 10 minutes after, then did abs

5 sets of Woodchopper oblique crunches 8-12 reps
5 sets of ball crunches 10-15 reps
5 sets of leg raises while holding an exercise ball between my legs for 8 reps for each set
3 sets of vacuums while laying down, for 15 seconds, 25 and 25 seconds

Tomorrow nite - back n shoulders hypertrophy, Jacked up to do this, gonna wear the white animal pimp hat for this one!

Cardio sucks!

Northman
10-14-09, 10:08 pm
Cardio does indeed suck!

Firefist
10-14-09, 11:09 pm
hahaha i cant bare to wear my pimp hat. i workout in my black/white mesh, got it signed by house with "you are your maker" on it. i never have a workout without it. its all yellow on the inside, the mesh is frayed, but i have to wear it.

Beach91
10-15-09, 9:30 am
Haha, thats cool Anti- I have two of those and the black on top has white lined sweat stains on em. I usually wear an animal hat for all my workouts, i pull it down low and get to work. I have a tiny head, so the pimp hat is huge on my head, i wish theyd made a smaller flexfit version but oh well, i still love the look of it.

Beach91
10-15-09, 10:12 am
After last weeks increase in calories, as well as a saturday nite cheat meal, my current weight is up to 193 lbs morning wt.

I keep a scale in my bathroom and after my morning bathroom break, i always jump on, its how i do it when i prepare for shows, and always take my wt. in the morning at close to the same time so that i have a consistent basis to go off of.

Since I am up in wt, after the caloric increase, i also use the mirror in checking and at this point I am still fairly lean. As well, my workouts went very well this past week, and the weight i was using on several major lifts has also increased, so I am going to bump my calories up again. It is nothing major, My intake will come up by 130 daily calories, by including 4 ounces of yams into my diet, making my daily total close to 2680 calories, which is above/around my maintenance level.

In doing several shows and going through various past logs i have kept on weight loss, my maintenance amount of calories to keep my bodyweight in and around 185-190 lbs is about 2650 calories-2700 calories. I am roughly using 14 cal. per lb of bodyweight at about 190 lbs, which is a maintenace level of 2660

Anyhow the new diet program will look like this, I am re-arranging some of my carb intakes, but overall I am adding close to 30 grams of carbs to my daily intake in the form of yams. I love Yams by the way, so this is a good thing.

630 a.m. - 5 grams BCAAs

1 scoop of whey protein

9 a.m. - 5 grams BCAAs, 4 OUNCES OF YAMS

8 ounces of yams

2 p.m. - 5 grams BCAAs, 4 OUNCES OF YAMS

8 ounces of yams

5 grams BCAAS
2.5 grams creatine mono
1 gram citrulline
2 grams beta alanine
200 mg caffeine

5-10 grams BCAAs
2.5 g creatine mono,
2 grams beta alanine
30 grams dextrose

8 p.m - 1/2 cup steel cut oats mixed with 1 scoop of Whey protein, 1 TSP NATTY PEANUT BUTTER

4 ounces of chicken
8 ounces of yams

Hollow
10-15-09, 3:19 pm
Hmmm...now I’m feeling a bit hungry again...thank goodness it’s time to go home now!

t_mh
10-15-09, 4:07 pm
That's awesome that you have such good logs to look back on things like a maintenance range for calories.

Beach91
10-15-09, 5:24 pm
Yep, i have kept logs on my foods for a good 6-7 years, basically since i started doing competitions. I have training logs all the way back to when I first started lifting when i was 13. Its funny, you'd think in 16 years your writing would improve, not in this case, mine still looks like a little kid.

Man, i sure hope i hit puberty soon, I would love a good growth spurt!!!!!

Kidding, but in all seriousness, i ve loved doing this and love playing around with this stuff from diets to routines etc, We are are own Makers and its cool to see how you can control, change and play with things within your control from diet and exercise etc, to constantly change and evolve your body, your temple

Its kinda like playin God, on a micro level, with yourself as a test subject

I also tracked foods and calories and routines, out of necessity, i very easily can become overweight if i dont keep a grip on my appetite. I am envious of those who in offseason just eat whatever they want to grow and dont count or measure anything. if you check most guys logs on this forvm, you will see alot of them diet on more calories than i will bulk on, but thats how it goes. Everyones different in terms of metabolism and bodytypes and everyones gotta do what works for them.

a slow sensible bulk with a leash on my appetite is the way to go for me. I ve learned this from personal experience, 2 years ago i had an offseason where i ate what i wanted, and i easily balloned to 242 lbs, 27% bodyfat.

I did a 22 week diet after this for a set of competitions and even though i made huge gains in strenght while being heavier, i had to work so hard to get the fat off ( 2 hrs running cardio a day for 2 plus months) that by the time i hit the stage i actually regressed from my previous shows.

Live and Learn
beach

C.Coronato
10-15-09, 5:34 pm
You have a good head on your shoulders my man. Keep up the hard work.

Beach91
10-15-09, 9:20 pm
Thanks TreeTrunk for the good words, I often get training ideas from your logs and am impressed with the work you do and am convinced a natural pro card is in your future, Not only are your legs killer, as everyone can see, but you have a cobra hood for a back!

Anyhow, tonites workout was so much fun i didnt want to stop, with every set i felt a sic pump, working in a higher rep range with lighter weights seemed to really shock my body, in the way my shock week did, so i am really lovin the variety and the changeups in routines I have had the past few weeks and will keep on keepin on

Back
Underhand grip pulldowns 5 sets of 10-15
Seated cable rows 4 sets of 10-12
Rack Deads 6 sets of 10-12
One arm rows 4 sets 10-15
Hammer low grip pulldown 4 sets of 10-15
Chinups using a dip/chin up machine 5 sets of 10-15, 1 second pause at the bottom of every rep, loved the stretch and blood flow on these ones

Dumbell Shrugs 5 sets of 10-15
Reverse Dumbell Lateral Raises 5 sets of 10-15
Incline Bench(lying facedown)reverse laterals with a palms up grip 3 sets of 12-15 , this one really hits the mid back, rhomboids and rear delts, but i use extremelty light wt. and keep my arms straight throughout the movement
Dumbell Laterals with palms facing forward in a supine position 3 sets 12-15
Barbell shoulder press 8 sets of 10
Reverse shrugs 3 sets of 15 (shoulder press the weight in the air, at the top of the movement, lower the weight a few inches while keeping your arms straight then go up, its basically a shrug goin upwards.

stretching 10 minutes

the workout took about an hour and 20 minutes but flew by, it was so much fun, i could feel the muscle pumping and my mind muscle connect was on, maybe its the extra carbs or the end of the workweek but i wish every workout was like this.

My folks are headed into town saturday, so i am gonna have to my power legs workout tomorrow nite, and do a cardio day on saturday, cant wait

Northman
10-15-09, 10:10 pm
Good job buddy! Have fun with your parents.

C.Coronato
10-16-09, 10:54 am
Much appreciated my man .. its good to know some of the knowledge goes to good use ..

Alot of volume in your workouts, thats why im all about, have fun with the parents brotha.

Hollow
10-16-09, 11:05 am
“Live and Learn”...that was a great read. Outstanding workout Beach, the pump must have been insane. I’m going to hold you personally responsible if I go back to volume training...lol!

Have a great visit with your parents.

Beach91
10-17-09, 9:27 am
Friday nite, the gym was empty cold, but i loved it, something about doing what few others would gets me motivated. While everyones out at the bar or doing their regular friday thing, I was underneath a bar, and giving all i could to keep this transition into my offseason going well

Bike warmup for 5 minups
Leg Extensions 3 sets of 20, the bike and the extensions are to get the joints warmed up for whats about to come and to start flushing the muscles with some blood, and my preworkout aminos

Front Squats 6 sets of 10,5, 5, 3, 4, 5. I moved up in weight again and those last 3 sets were not only heavy, but a mindgame. When i sit down in the hole and fire back up, i always worry about not comin up, but fear seems to motivate me, fear of not moving up in weight, not progressing, and the fear of injury as well. Squats are a huge mindgame for me.

Hack Squats 6 sets of 10, 8, 7, 8, 7, 6, i usually go for a rep range of 8-10 on this one, upped the weight a little and just couldnt hit 8 on a few sets, kinda pissed me off.

1 Leg horizontal press - 5 sets - killer feeling, moved up in weight, the leg workout started going good here
5 sets of 10, 8,8, 8, 7

GHR - amazing feeling in the hamstrings, just a full blood rush, 8 sets of 6-10

Lying Hamstring curls - felt good again, moved up in wt. 6 sets of 10,10,10,9,8,7

Hip Adductor - 4 sets of 10-12
Hip Abductor 4 sets of 10-12
Seated calf raises - 6 sets of 12,12,10,8,6,7 Pyramiding the weight up on every set

all in all, it was a different atmosphere training friday nite, it was tough to get into some exercises like the front squats, but after that i really got into it, especially after beginning to sweat, the gym was cold at first, but after the squats i was soaked, which is what i was working for, after the sweat started to flow and the heart was pounding i felt great

Northman
10-17-09, 4:18 pm
I love working out in an empty, cold gym. It's conducive to pushing oneself to the limit. Good job!

Beach91
10-18-09, 4:09 pm
Awesome workout today, moved some heavy poundages and comin into an all power week, I am pretty stoked, all low rep ranges comin all heavy wt.

anyhow, heres how today went down

Incline Bench Press 12, 6, 5,5,5 Moved up in wt. every set and used more wt this week than last, felt strong and good, i could feel the blood goin into my chest

Flat Hammer strength chest press 4 sets of 10, 10, 8, 7

Flat Peck Deck 2 sets of 10, 8

Deadlift 5 sets of 12, 8, 5, 5, 4 ( at 400 on the last set, i want 405 for 5, its gonna come, this one took the life outta me, but wicked set, i was seeing stars after i put the wt. down

t bar rows 3 sets of 10, 8 and 7 ( used more wt. than the past weeks, felt good)

Lat pulldowns 2 sets of 10, 8

Barbell shoulder press 4 sets, 10, 8, 6, 6

Lateral Raises 3 sets 10, 6, 8

Barbell Curls 3 sets 10, 6, 4

Hammer Curls 3 sets of 10, 7 and 8

Tricep French Press 4 sets of 10, 10, 9 and 8 (increasing wt. every set)

Reverse wrist curls 3 sets of 10-12
Barbell wrist curls 3 sets of 15
Side dumbell wrist curls 3 sets of 15 using more wt. every set

Hanging leg raises 3 sets of 6-10
Lying down cable crunches combined with leg raises at the same time to work both upper and lower abdominals 8 sets of 10-12

Long day, lotsa fun though and pretty happy with movin up in wts again.

Hollow
10-19-09, 10:57 am
That was a lot of freaking work there Beach, outstanding job!!!

t_mh
10-20-09, 3:25 pm
Awesome all around. Good to hear the incline is moving up. That's a good feeling when you beat your weights from the last week.

How long did all that take you?

Beach91
10-20-09, 4:43 pm
Hey T,

It takes a good hour and a half to 2 hours on my upper body days, that day was 2 hrs.

My lower body days take 2 hrs guaranteed.

Its mostly on the bigger lifts, like squats, deads and bench that take up most of my time, and those are the sets i rest up the most for. As well i get nervous before each set, i am not sure if its anxiety, but if i have a goal, i have to beat it, and get anxious when going into the bigger lifts. As well i dont want to hurt myself going for no., so i tend to get nervous about that as well.
Combine it with the preworkout caffeine and metallica/crue in the ipod and i am just shaking with energy, i think it helps get more wt. on my bigger lifts, and then once the bigger lifts are done, i tend to fly through the workouts because i feel so jacked.

i love this shit
cardio though..not so much

Northman
10-20-09, 5:32 pm
Oh no... did I see "crue"?

Beach91
10-21-09, 9:02 am
Yep You saw Crue they are my all time fav. band. Ive seen em play 4-5 times, when they came through last time and played Saints of Los Angeles with Buckcherry and papa Roach on stage it was one of my top 5 best moments of my life. And when they came through the Peg on their first leg of the Carnival tour, when they close with Kickstart, that was mindblowing, I have never been in arena so loud, and their stage show with everything going on, cant be topped! I could go on for days Stiff!

Anyhow, This week I am doing a full power week, low reps, longer rest times, more compound movements, very little isolation work. If you follow my logs, I generally dont take days off from the gym, with a day off considered a cardio only day. Monday nite, i took an entire rest day to get ready for the leg day to follow.

I really enjoyed seeing how much weight i can push out for very low low reps, mostly though for the upper body exercises. With Legs, I am often worried my body or back will give before my legs will. I often find exercise and bodybuilding is more a mindgame than anything, and believe a bodybuilders mind is his/her strongest muscle. The body can do what the mind sets it to, so with that i enjoyed the mental/physical aspect of this leg workout.

Smith Squats 8 sets of 3-6 reps, I didnt overly enjoy this opener, and thought I should have pushed more weight than I did, but I went low on all reps deep in the pocket and focused on form, I figure I should have taken more rest in between sets, but i was amped up to be in the gym and just couldnt seem to wait.

1 Leg Horizontal Press 7 sets of 3-5 reps, this went alot better, it was very hard, time consuming but i started to enjoy the workout here

Smith Machine Lunges - 6 sets of 3-5, I used weight here I have never used for smith lunges, it was quite a different feel too, as i usually keep my lunges in a higher rep range, the change was good

GHR - 5-8 reps over 8 sets, I loved these and could feel my hams pumping with the heavier weight

Seated 1 Leg calf raise 5 sets 5-8 reps, simply fun, I havent trained calves in a low rep range for a long time and this shock was great, i could feel the blood flow in

Standing 1 leg calf raise 4 sets of 3-6, again this felt amazing for the calves, as well doing the exercises unilaterally helped to focus all efforts on 1 leg at a time

Leg Raises 5 sets 10-15
Oblique Wood Chopper Crunches 4 sets 8-10 per side
Ball Crunches 5 sets of 10-15

Stretching 5 minutes.

Northman
10-21-09, 10:29 am
You may love them, but I can't stand their bass player. He is an embarrassment to the rest of us. He actually holds the title of the worst bass player ever... period.

Beach91
10-21-09, 11:14 am
You hate Sixx? I didnt know u played bass Stiff, I always wished i could play an instrument, but my timing and dexterity, and lack of rhthym seemed to hinder me. I have tried to pick up the drums, and have tried bass and guitar before, without any luck.

I guess I will just stick to lifting weights, but I do love music and have loved the crue for a long time. Do you hate his style or the way he plays? I am thinking crue songs are fairly simply, and maybe thats what u dislike? Or is it his writing style, as he has written about 80% of motleys material? Or just his personality?

Northman
10-21-09, 11:23 am
You hate Sixx? I didnt know u played bass Stiff, I always wished i could play an instrument, but my timing and dexterity, and lack of rhthym seemed to hinder me. I have tried to pick up the drums, and have tried bass and guitar before, without any luck.

I guess I will just stick to lifting weights, but I do love music and have loved the crue for a long time. Do you hate his style or the way he plays? I am thinking crue songs are fairly simply, and maybe thats what u dislike? Or is it his writing style, as he has written about 80% of motleys material? Or just his personality?

I come from a very musical family so I have had the good fortune to learn to play 7 different instruments, but bass has always been second favorite.

I don't like how very simplistic his lines are. He may be a decent lyricist, but that's probably why he's in the band. My dislike for him might also be accounted for by my dislike of alcohol and those who abuse it.

Sorry about the tirade.

Beach91
10-21-09, 11:36 am
No, I appreciate the info., and thinks its cool that you are musically gifted, and were raised in a family setting that focused on the merits of music. I simply love music, and wished while i was younger and had more time, that i had taken up an instrument. I respect your opinion Stiff and dont disagree with you at all, Most of the bands songs are very simple and if you have knowledge and have played the instrument I could see how you would think negatively of someone, who plays in a very average manner, considered they have made a living off of playing music.

His lyrics used to be well thought out, with a grittier feel, with added sleaze, but everything theyve done in the past 10yrs, has a sort of rehashed feel to it, and they seem to be living off their past accolades, I am hoping not to offend you here if you are a Kiss fan, but just like Kiss. Both bands seem to be making alot of money off of their loyal followings by rehashing and re selling their old ideas. The flow of new material and exciting new ground being broken has dried up, and both bands as well as several other ones do not attract a newer fan base.

This is why i kinda dislike parts of the Motley Crue Machine, i feel they could be soooooo much more than they are but have settled on being successful and have stopped pushing the envelope. Pushing the envelope is what made them good, now, their past few albums have seemed very formulaic, and very simple.

As for the drugs and booze stories, its cool to read through and all, but after ahwile u get soooooo tired of hearing about it. I loved their Dirt book, but to keep bringing up stories from it all the time in magazines and interviews, they seem to glorify it. Its sad, they are living completely off their past, when they could be sooooo much more, which is why I have a little dislike for the Crue, they are still my favorite but i really think they could be more.

whats your take on Metallica, STIFF? I loved their new album and how the bands evolved.

Northman
10-21-09, 9:41 pm
Don't worry, I'm not a fan of KISS either.

Metallica though are a decent band. I actually prefer a lot of their instrumental stuff from back in the day. At first I thought I didn't like the new album, but it is growing on me.

Beach91
10-22-09, 8:19 am
Did 20 minutes of HIT cardio last nite and as i was doing it I was having thinking "Do i Hate Cardio More, or Do I hate the guys that dont have to do Cardio but remain lean year round?"

Oh well it was food for thought. I stretched for 10 min afterwords, my legs are really sore this morning from leg power day 2 days ago, the stretching last nite helped a bit though.

anyhow, tonites power upper, cant wait.

Also checked my weightthe last few days, i have actually lost 1 pound and am down to 192, so i will be increasing calories today as i go into Upper body power, and will post the workout and diet changes later on.

Cardio still sucks

Hollow
10-22-09, 12:34 pm
Beach...Beach...the Crue!?!? <Shaking my head in utter disbelief>...wow...I've never heard a guy admit that he liked the Crue...the times...they are a changing...sigh...

Just giving you a hard time...seriously though the Crue?

Beach91
10-22-09, 12:40 pm
whats wrong with the Crue? I am a small town farm boy from Manitoba, Motley Crue and ACDC are just getting to be popular where I come from!!!!!!

Whats your Fav, Hollow1?

Hollow
10-22-09, 12:53 pm
whats wrong with the Crue? I am a small town farm boy from Manitoba, Motley Crue and ACDC are just getting to be popular where I come from!!!!!!

Whats your Fav, Hollow1?

I wouldn’t really say I have a favorite type of music or band as I listen to pretty much anything (barring country, can’t do that country music) there is out there. Throwing my two cents into your discussion with Stiff, Metallica’s last good album was “...And Justice for All”, after that it was down hill.

Beach91
10-22-09, 1:04 pm
As mentioned earlier in the thread, I have checked my weight the past few mornings and have actually lost 1 lb since the last week, so I am upping my calories. I also had a problem with the spreadsheet I was using for my calorie count, my previous amount of calories, which i thought was around 2600 calories, was actually up around 2800 calories. So I worked with the level that I was at, and have increased my total calories by about 200, now sitting at 3000 daily calories as of today!

What I am adding in to my diet plan is some more yams at my evening BCAA drink, as well, I am changing my preworkout meal to a 1/2 cup of oats, and a mixed casein/whey/egg blend of protein, that has Additional EFAs added in. I find oatmeal more filling, and with the mixed blended shake, I am hoping that I have a more sustained energy flow into the late stages of my workout.

Basically what is being added into the diet is more low glycemic carbs (yams) and fat in the form of EFAs contained in my protein mix.

Just listening to my body, this takes the calories up just over 3000, a good 350 above maintenance level. Hopefully my wt. should steadily increase now.

630 a.m. - 5 grams BCAAs

1 scoop of whey protein

9 a.m. - 5 grams BCAAs, 4 ounces of yams

8 ounces of yams

2 p.m. - 5 grams BCAAs, 4 ounces of yams

4 p.m. - 1 Mixed Protein source shake, a blend of egg/casein/whey and EFAs
1/2 cup oats

5 grams BCAAS
2.5 grams creatine mono
1 gram citrulline
2 grams beta alanine
200 mg caffeine

5-10 grams BCAAs
2.5 g creatine mono,
2 grams beta alanine
30 grams dextrose

8 p.m - 1/2 cup steel cut oats mixed with 1 scoop of Whey protein, 1 TSP NATTY PEANUT BUTTER

10 p.m. - 5 gram bcaas, 4 ounces of yams, then bedtime

4 ounces of chicken
4 ounces of yams

Northman
10-22-09, 3:28 pm
I find the more yams and steel cut oats I eat, the better I feel. I love your diet with one exception... too much dry chicken. I love my steak!

Firefist
10-22-09, 8:47 pm
I find the more yams and steel cut oats I eat, the better I feel. I love your diet with one exception... too much dry chicken. I love my steak!

hear ya on that one, but this is a pretty solid diet and nutrition plan. add in a steak meal though, i love me some red meat.

hows savin up for the arnold goin?

Beach91
10-22-09, 10:33 pm
I know guys i love the steak too, usually twice a week, i have steak and french fry or hamburger and fry meal as my cheat meal, i defintiely feel fuller and stronger when i include read meat in my diet, but its a little more expensive and i cant seem to handle red meat on a daily basis. Eating this way keeps me lean and mean, without the stomach upset, but a few meals a weak i switch in either a burger, or a leaner cut of beef just to get a different protein source in there!

Saving up for the Arnold was going really well, until my car broke down, it needs about 2500 dollars of work which kills my Arnold funds for the moment. As well, since our dollar is doing better, the cost of flights from Winnipeg to Columbus has increased in the past 2 weeks from being under 500 dollars to close to 700, so I am not sure what i am going to do, I am just dying to make it to the cage though, it seems like i would meet everyone, and it would be the best time of the whole year.

Beach91
10-22-09, 10:48 pm
tonite was Upper body power nite, and I couldnt wait to get to the gym, it was a long day, and it felt as if i could see the sand of time literally falling spec by spec in the ol hour glass. I just couldnt wait to get to the gym.

I was checking out other members Journeys, and I happened by Juggernauts Journey and actually stole an idea from it, in which you blast a muscle group, leave that group alone for awhile, then blast it again later in the workout.

Being upper power, i focused on the bigger movements for Chest, back and shoulders, and did not do anydirect bi/tri or forearm work, as they got hammered enuff through the workout.

Incline Barbell Press 6 sets of 3-5 reps, I actually worked up to 4 solid reps with 255, and did 3 with 265, this was amazing, the blood in the chest words cant describe. In the past, my best ever on this set has been 315 for 3 reps, and 275 for 4-5, so i have a long way to go, oh well little by little

Deadlifts - 7-8 sets not sure, lost count, was having fun and seeing stars with the blood rush to the head, rep ranges was 1-6 reps, I wanted 405 for 5, but only got 3, and i tried 425 off the floor and got 1 solid rep, all in all pretty happy with this too, my form was pretty good too

Flat Hammer Press - 5 sets of 5 reps

Corner TBAr rows with Olympic Bar - HOLLOW STYLE - 6 sets of 5 reps

Inc. Flys - 5 sets of 6-8, used 80s on the last 2 sets, loved loved loved it tonnes of blood pumping in, my whole upper body was jacked

Underhand cable pulldown 4 sets of 6-8, this was so so, not as fun as the deads and Tbars

Shoulder Press 5 sets of 5

Barbell Shrugs, havent done a front barbell shrug in about 2 years if u can believe it, i always go dumbells or behind the neck as i get a better feeling and range of motion from them, and it pisses me off to see guys in the gym load up the barbell, unrack it, and then move it up and down about 1 cm.

anyhow, i enjoyed the shrugs, and will start workin on em barbell style again.

Amazin workout, glad i dont do work in the 3 rep range to often though, i am gonna hurt tomorrow.

I had such an amazin time, on the ride home, i played the radio game, and flipped stations and sang every song that came on. Kinda embarassin, but a group of school kids caught me goin ballistic on Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen (waynes world style). Oh well they pissed themselves laughin, and i was right in the middle, so i couldnt stop.

tomorrows cardio, bleh, cardio

Beach91
10-23-09, 7:21 am
hey Guys, for those that check this journey, i created a photobucket album with My Olympia pics, if u cut and past this link I hope it works. I dont have very many pics, i was too in awe of the whole thing, and was like a little kid in the candy store running around. A couple things that stood out to me, in talking to Lee Priest and Vinny G, how real and down to earth and simply kind these guys can be. Everyones runnin at em from all angles with pics and questions and they are nice and kind and are all to happy to comply with all requests. Vinny kept tellin me Evan n Frank are over there u should get pics with em too, but i was just too taken in by it all to take the opportunity.

it was nuts and off the hook, the excitement and rush i felt, cant be described, which is why i am trying to raise the funds to go to the arnold. Anyhow here goes! Let me know if this works

http://s1012.photobucket.com/albums/af242/Beach91_corey/Olympia2009/

Beach91
10-23-09, 3:55 pm
Cardio session, pretty sore today, so i stretched after. done and done.

cardio sucks

Beach91
10-24-09, 9:57 pm
Todays leg day

Leg extensions 4 - 20 reps
Front Squat 5 sets of 8-10 reps
followed by 5 more sets in the 4-5 rep range ( iwasnt going to do these but everything felt good so I pushed through, glad I did the 5 extra sets)

Leg press 6 sets of 8-10, i usually do leg press 1 leg at a time, that way i dont spend all day loading weight onto the machine. As well i hate guys who load up the leg press and only drop it 2 inches once they take it off the rack, i go fully down on the descent of all my sets to get a good full range of motion. Being that earlier in the week i did sets in the rep range of 3 for single leg presses, i decided to load it up and go 2 legged today.

Step ups - 5 sets of 10-12 , a nice switch up from lunges

Stiff leg deads 3 sets of 12, 10 and 8, wasnt feeling these too well, remember Hollows log from the past week so i went into dumbell stiff legged deads

5 sets of 8-10 dumbell stiff legs, much more fun with this, felt it in every fiber in the hams

seated leg curel 5 sets of 6-10
Hip abductor machine 3 sets of 10-15
Hip adductor 3 sets of 10-15

Calf raises seated for 5 sets 6-10 reps

Cable crunches 10 sets of increasing wt. started at 15 reps per set and went down to 6 as i pyramided the weight up

very good session, back was a little tight from deads 2 nites ago, but a good muscular tight, had some burgers last nite, and a steak 2day for one of my meals and felt fuller and stronger.

Northman
10-24-09, 11:09 pm
We were just talking about lazy leg presses on ronnie's thread. All of us Canadians seem to be fans of them.

Beach91
10-25-09, 5:05 pm
After last weeks Full power week with super low reps, this weekend i changed up my normal power routine, but still did a power session, and here it is

Chest peck deck 5 sets 10, 8, 8, 6, 5, 5 , Did these first instead of an incline press to pre exhaust the chest a bit and get a different feel as compared to the heavy pressing earlier in the week

Incline dumbell press 4 sets of 6-8 reps, i prefer dumbells to the barbell in terms of feel and peak contraction on the exercise, but always have trouble kickin up the dumbells once i get past the 110s, i always wish and think about inventing a machine to drop dumbells from the ceiling for presses like this, but oh well, i ll stop bitchin

Flat Bench Press 3 sets of 8-10 reps

Lat cable pulldown, 2 sets inside the shoulder over hand grip of 10 and 8 reps

Lat cable pulldown, 2 sets outside shoulder overhand grip of 8 and 8 reps

Tbar rows, 3 sets of 6-8

Seated underhand grip cable row 4 sets of 8-10 reps

Dirty Dozen shoulder exercise 3 sets of 12

Lateral raises 3 sets of 10, 8 and 8

Reverse laterals on an incline bench 2 sets of 10 and 7

Dumbell curls 5 sets of 6-8

Reverse cambered bar curls, try these instead of hammer curls some time to hit the brachialis muscles, 3 sets of 8-10

French press 4 sets 8-10

Wrist curls 2 sets of 10-12

Reverse wrist curls 3 sets of 10

Side dumbell wrist curls 3 sets of 10

One arm dip machine pressdowns for triceps 3 sets of 8

Good mornings 4 sets of 8-12

Planks 3 sets of 1 minute holds

t_mh
10-25-09, 5:12 pm
Looks good man.

You mean something like these for dumbbells?
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/cp/ph.html

Beach91
10-27-09, 9:06 am
Did HIT cardio on the bike last nite for 20 minutes
followed by 10 minutes of stretching
cardio sux

Beach91
10-27-09, 9:37 pm
Another great session tonite, dont know what it is but ever since the Olympia the workouts have been gold, very motivated and the clean bulk and slow increase in calories has provided me with an ever increasing great amount of energy going into my sessions. I also enjoy the variety from week to week from a rep range to a power to a shock week. it keeps it all fun.

Smith Squats 21 rep sets, 7 reps feet together, 7 shoulder width apart, and 7 reps super wide
I did 7 full sets of this, by set 5, I was dying but had a wicked pump in the quads. God bless Beta Alanine, I could feel little pin pricks running up and down my legs during these sets, just like running into a porcupine. that tingly feeling kept me goin, but the last few sets were liking going down under water at the bottom of the movement, then coming up for air at the top.

Leg Press - all sets were done consecutively with no rest in between. I was leg pressing for at least five minutes non stop, what i did was Set 1 - 1 plate 50 reps, Set 2 - 2 plates 30 reps, set 3 3 plates 20 reps, Set 4 - 3 plates + 25 plates on each side for 15 reps, Set 5 drop to 3 plates for 13 reps, Set 6 drop to 2 plates for 25 reps, Set 7 drop to 1 plate a side and forced out 43 reps.

Dead dead dead, seeing stars, soaked and breathing heavy, this was a true test but once done i felt like i won a million bucks and the rest of the workout to follow would be peanuts. The only rest during the entire seven sets was to get up and change the plates on the machine.

Leg Extensions- From super heavy weight to lite weight BABY,
5 sets - 5 reps, 10 reps, 15 reps, 25 reps, then 50 reps to get somemore blood into the quads.

GHRs - 10 sets done of 6-12 reps with 20 second rests in between sets, sorta a take on Hany Rambods FST 7 system. This was peanuts compared to what i had gone through

Hamstring Curls Lying down - 6 sets of 21s, amazing pump

Hip Abductor and Hip Adductor superset 5 times no rest between sets, 15-20 reps

Love these machines, many people stare and i get flack for using them from other "gym rats" but i feel these ad a nice dimension to your sweep in the side chest and love the feeling of the machines when taken slower with a respectable weight, u can feel blood flow into little areas of your legs u never knew u had. For anyone doing shows i say theyre a must.

calves - standing calf raises, 6 sets of 30s, 10 reps toes in, 10 reps toes straight and 10 reps toes out in no particular order
my favorite calf exercise ended this torture session,

its an hour later and i still feel the beta alanine prickles, gotta love it

Beach91
10-29-09, 9:08 am
Last nites workout was a Shock session, for Chest and Back. It wasnt the best workout, not sure why, my mind just wasnt into it and I had to struggle through some exercises to get it down, whereas usually i have to be dragged outta the gym kicking and screaming.
What i decided to do was a bit of a throwback to some of Arnolds workouts, and did Chest back supersets throughout several of my sets. heres the rundown

Incline Flys Superset with Standing Dumbell Rows, I increased the weight pyramiding up every set for 5 sets of 15, 12, 12, 10 and 8

Flat Machine Press - REST Pause technique, 4 reps followed by 15 seconds rest, etc up to 12 reps per set - 4 sets of 12
This was Superset with Underhand Grip Barbell Rows (Dorian Style) - 4 sets of 8-12

Cable Rows - FST7 style except for 10 sets of 10-12, 20 second rests between sets

Incline Press on Hammer Strength Bench - 30, 20 reps, 10 reps, 6 reps - first 4 sets done non stop, increasing weight every set until my reps fell below 10, then i did 3 more drop sets removing weight every set for 6 reps on the first drop, 10 reps on the second drop set and 14 reps till failure on the last drop set

Rack Deads - 4 sets, Rest Pause technique used on all sets, 20 reps on the first set, then 3 sets of 16 reps on the last three sets. I didnt care for this at all, not sure if i will use rest pause for rack deads again, just wasnt feelin it

Pec Deck superset with pushups for 5 sets of each 10-15 reps on the peck deck, pushups lost count did the sets to close to failure, within about 5reps of failure i would say

Chinups - Arnold style, as many sets as possible to get to 50 chins, must have been close to 10 sets, the last three sets i got a cool pump out of, as i took the reps ultra slow and hung for a couple seconds between each rep before pulling up, the first few sets though, i had no feeling in my upper body, kinda sucked till the last sets

Learning from the chinups and the hang at the bottom, and the hold in the stretch position, i finished with four sets of cable pulldowns 10-15 reps, with the opposite of the chinup, i did a 3 second hold in the contracted position, felt pretty good to change it up.

thats it thats all

Beach91
10-29-09, 2:26 pm
As mentioned earlier in the thread, I have checked my weight every few mornings, I am currently up at 193.5 lbs, so my weight has gone up 1.5 lbs while sitting at just over 3000 daily calories. I am still fairly lean, and everything is progressing fairly well, so i will be increasing my calories again to close to 3200 daily calories.

What I am adding in to my diet plan is 3 ounces of baked potatoes to my postworkout mix, along with the dextrose n creatine and aminos I already take in. As well, I will be eating a full can of green beans every day, split between 2-3 of my meals. Finally, I am going to adding in 2 tablespoons of dextrose to my preworkout drink, and see how it affects my energy levels and exercise performance.

Just listening to my body, this takes the calories up just over 3200, a good 6000 above maintenance level. My wt. should steadily increase now, and I look forward to more quality gains.

My training has still been intense and highly motivated, and my arms, shoulders, chest and quads definitely look fuller, and people atthe gym have told me this and complemented me as well. With the additional calories will come fat gain, but i am hungry for more muscle and will put the extra clean cals. to good use.

630 a.m. - 5 grams BCAAs

1 scoop of whey protein

8 ounces of yams

1/2 cup oats
1 CAN OF GREEN BEANS ADDED IN TO MY DAILY MEALS BEFORE TRAINING

5 grams BCAAS
2.5 grams creatine mono
1 gram citrulline
2 grams beta alanine
200 mg caffeine
2 TEASPOONS DEXTROSE ADDED IN HERE

5-10 grams BCAAs
2.5 g creatine mono,
2 grams beta alanine
30 grams dextrose
5 OUNCES OF BAKED POTATOE CHANGED AT THIS POINT TO 8 OUNCES

4 ounces of chicken
4 ounces of yams

Beach91
10-29-09, 8:58 pm
did 20 minutes of cardio tonite, HIt style on the elliptical, then stretched for 10 minutes, it seemed like eternity on that elliptical though

cardio sucks, tomorrows a calorie rise, shoulder n arms shock session, the start of the weekend meaning a few burgers n steaks n clean cheats are on the way, and a comic convention is in wpg. this weekend, its like Christmas...On Halloween

Beach91
10-29-09, 10:18 pm
http://s1012.photobucket.com/albums/af242/Beach91_corey/My%20Scrapbooks/

For those that check out my journey, heres pics from my study where i keep everything bodybuilding related. I am a student of the game and love bodybuilding, constantly reading and studying all i can get my hands on. hopefully the link works, enjoy

ProteinJunkie
10-29-09, 10:58 pm
http://s1012.photobucket.com/albums/af242/Beach91_corey/My%20Scrapbooks/

For those that check out my journey, heres pics from my study where i keep everything bodybuilding related. I am a student of the game and love bodybuilding, constantly reading and studying all i can get my hands on. hopefully the link works, enjoy

I like it. I like it all Beach except for one thing….Lord Stanley has the Habs on it. Booo! LoL! Seriously though nice collection, thanks for sharing.

Beach91
10-31-09, 11:00 pm
Amazing workout, earlier in the day, i replaced one of my yam meals with a chicken and jumbo fries meal from New york fries, so with all the extra fat and sodium, the arm and shoulder veins were poppin like firehoses, i had two people who have never spoken to me at the gym come up to me and ask me what i was on, they kinda laughed when i said New York Fries!!!!

Shoulders
Rear Seated Press 3 Sets Rest Pause of 16 reps, 12 reps and 10 reps. Each set I would rest 15 seconds between the next set of reps. For the first set I did 4 sets of 4 reps, second one was 4 sets of 3 and the last one was a 4, 3, 3 combo

Bent over laterals on incline Bench superset with dumbell shrugs on incline bench -5 sets of 10-15 reps for both, lovin the burn on these

Arnold Press, superset with isometric side lateral holds, 3 sets of 10-15 for the press and 1 minute for each for the isometric holds. Wasnt really feeling this superset, I was going to do 5 sets but only did 3, I just couldnt get into it

Side Lateral 4 sets of 15, Each set of laterals after I was done, I would pick up twice the weight and do half reps for 4-6 reps for each set of laterals
Intense burn this was great. Even today my shoulders are still sore from this one

Barbell 21s, 4 sets of 21 reps
run the Rack Dumbell curls - 4 sets of anywhere between 6-10 reps per set, each rack run was at least 5 sets long, i lost track and just got way to into it, the pump was sick. At the beginning of each rack run i upped the starting weight, which inturn upped the amount of sets per rack run, the pain was excrutiating.

Spider preacher bench curls 4 sets of 8-12 superset with
Overhead dumbell tricep extensions 4 sets of 10-15

Hammer Curls 3 sets of 10-12 reps, done with slow 8 second negatives
superset with triangle tricep pushups 3 sets till fail

French Press preacher bench machine - FST 7 sets of 10-12, this was gold, definitely a shock routine keeper

Pressdowns - done in a drop set manner, 5 sets of 8-15 reps, 3-4 dropsets per giant set.

Long nite, but i really got into it, The animal gear sure was beaten with sweat last nite, all worth it though my arms and shoulders were throbbing after and i couldnt sit still later at nite and kept having to move my arms, just to get the blood going through.

Great Session
Nuff Said

Beach91
10-31-09, 11:10 pm
Last nites arms n shoulders session left me a little wounded, in a good way, but still wounded nonetheless. Went to start out today with Front Squats and my shoulders were so raw, Anyhow enuff whinery, lets get to makin some cheese

Front Squats 5 sets by 5, 5, 5, 4 and 5. The last 3 sets I did with 225, that was my goal, never hit that amount of weight before for this many reps. I was going nuts. The first set of 5, excellent form went deep and fired up outta the hole and really shocked my self. The second time through, were i hit 4 reps, my 2nd rep was shaky and so was my fourth so i didnt want to chance a third. I was doubting myself a bit, but i figured i have to get back under the bar and do it again this is what i bleednsacrifice for so i went in and did another five with perfect form, this made my saturday, and is the highlight of my weekend

Hacks 5 sets of 8-10
Leg Press 5 sets of 8-10
GHR 5 sets of 8-10
Hip Abductor 4 sets of 8-12
Hip Adductor 4 sets of 8-12
1 leg lying hamstring curls 4 sets 8-10
Seated calf raise 5 sets of 10-15
10 min on the bike to cool off the legs followed by 10 min. stretching.

When i did the squats, i felt like a kid again, whose being trying to beat that boss in Mario 1 for a million weeks even when all his friends had already finished the game. Fukin Nintendo!

Bowser died today Bitch
Nuff Said- I am outta here, Huge Comic convention in the peg, Thor/Superman/Hulk/Batman, I love em all. Squats and comics, Anything better in life?

Beach91
10-31-09, 11:12 pm
Actually, in re-thinking my last comments, For those who arent nerds like me, i guess u could saw Pretty Ladies are the best things in life.

Being a farmboy nerd though I still gotta go with squats n comics
nuff said

Northman
11-01-09, 12:54 pm
There has to be some Star Trek to make it a worthy convention.

t_mh
11-01-09, 2:27 pm
Looks great as usual.

Beach91
11-01-09, 7:32 pm
There was tonnes of Star Trek, i am not the biggest fan, dont mind Star Trek, but there were tonnes of trekkies there Stiff.

Upper Power today went great, ate a huge cheat meal last nite, musta been well over 10 thousand calories of burgers, shrimp, yam fries and chocolates. it was great and i had tonnes of energy for the workout today.

Incline Barbell Press 3 sets of 5 (last set was with265), went up to 275 on the 4th set after those first 3 and got 5 reps, but 4 reps without a spotter, almost got 5 so close but i needed help through my sticking point. Jacked about this, Methinks everysaturday nite i should force feed

Pec Dec 3 sets of 8-10

Deads 4 sets of 5 reps, the last set i did was at a weight of 403, so 405 for 5 is in my sights, so close i can taste it, but i will hit it before the end of november

Tbars 3 sets of 6-8
Parallel Grip Pulldowns 2 sets of 9 and 10
Barbell Shoulder Press 3 sets of 8-10

Barbell Shrugs 3 sets of 8-10

Preacher curls 4 sets of 6-8
French Press Skullcrushers 4 sets of 8-10

Good Mornings 3 sets of 12, 10, 8 pyramiding the weight up every set
decline Situps 4 sets of 10-15
Lying Cable Crunches combined with knee ins 5 setso f 10-15

Happy happy with my bench and deads, form was good and i felt very strong, maybe it was the new death of superman t from the comic con, but most likely the food gourge from saturday nite, combined with all the rest i had this weekend.

This week is all rep range hypertrophy style workouts, and i cant wait to get back under the iron.

Northman
11-01-09, 9:31 pm
You start with a kick-ass convention followed by a lick-ass meal followed by a kick-ass workout. It sounds like you've had a good weekend!

Beach91
11-02-09, 8:57 am
Yep, the weekend was Gold Stiff, nothing but good things, I love halloween!

Too bad tonites a cardio nite and that the weekend had to end but Monday always has to come, makes u appreciate the good times even more.

C.Coronato
11-02-09, 1:37 pm
Looks like a good weekend man! Enjoy the cardio tonight! Its always fun.

Beach91
11-02-09, 10:41 pm
Yep, it definitely was fun, actually its more like the longest 30 minutes of the day, i was literally bleeding through the seconds to get off that elliptical,anyhow 20 min of HIT on the elliptical followed by stretching.

tomorrows legs for rep range week start,

fun will be had, it aint halloween but itll still be scary

Beach91
11-03-09, 9:25 pm
Leg Hypertrophy session, much more fun had tonite, this beats even 5 minutes of cardio. The workout lasted an hour and a half and i could feel the blood moving in my thighs, quads n hams, and also the beta alanine pin prickles. super workout

leg extension 6 sets of 20-30
1 Leg horizontal leg press 6 sets of 20, i increased the weight every set, the last 2 sets after i hit 10 reps it was gasping for air and forcing out the next 10, but i could feel a wicked flow of blood into the teardrops, and i put my mind into the muscle contraction, sucked up and pushed through, its what u work for right? that pump

1 Leg Smith machine lunges - felt everywhere - 6 sets per side of 10-15 reps

stiff leg deads - 8 sets of 10-15 reps, totally hit the hamstrings, in most hamstring workouts i will either do a form of deads or GHRs, love em both, but the hit the hamstring in a diff. way, hadnt done stiff legs for a little while so decided to give em a go, and got 225 for 10 on the last 2 sets

Hamstring Curls - 8 sets of 15-20 slow reps, just to feel more blood flow in n out of the hams

Hip Abductor- 3 sets of 20
Hip Adductor 3 sets of 20

legs were swollen from all sides, very tough walking, its as if i lost feeling and control of my legs

Calf Raises 3 sets of 30, each set had a differnet toe position, 1 set toes in, 1 set neutral, 1 set toes out

Seated calf raise 5 by 15 reps

stretching 10 minutes, done and done

I use a higher rep range for my hypertrophy workouts, no major weights moved, strict movments with focus on form and pump. obviously going for a changeup from power and shock weeks, pounding the muscles in a diff. way, then eat, then rest, then GROW.

NUFFSAID

Firefist
11-03-09, 10:33 pm
what a leg day!

C.Coronato
11-04-09, 10:06 am
Lots of volume on legs brother . .thats good shit.

And i feel you on the cardio .. i like watch every second from the last 2 minutes down, trying to some how magically make it go faster lol.

DBOY
11-04-09, 6:32 pm
Damn bro, that's a good ass leg workout. Good luck walkn for the next couple of days.....LOL

Im in for this.....

Firedrake
11-04-09, 8:56 pm
I'm with D-Boy -- you're going to be having fun walking for the next couple of days! I love high volume, too, but don't grow as well with it.

Thanks for stopping by my Journey!

Beach91
11-04-09, 10:20 pm
Nice to have u guys along DBOY n FIREDRAKE, sorry i havent posted in your journeys earlier, I had been lurking in them for a long time, it is very impressive to see both of you with the changes each of you made and I am super stoked to be able to read about it in your journeys, it helps motivate me, so thanks guys for the motivation

tonites workout was Chest and Back Rep range hypertrophy sessions

Flat Bench 6 sets of 10-15
Flat flys 5 sets of 10-15
Inc. Dumbell Press 5 sets of 10-15
Inc. Flys 6 sets of 10-15, done a little differently for a different feel with thumbs facing together at the top and palms facing the mirrors
Decline Pres 4 sets of 10-15

I love volume, but for Chest, i have a decent lower chest, i usually seem to talk myself outta volume and punkout a bit. I had the mindset goin in that i was not gonna do this and blast it. Generally i love the lower rep ranges for chest, so going higher reps, i lowered the weight, and focused on the contraction, bringing the mind muscle connection into play, i picture my chest as those blood bags they use in hospitals filling with every contraction pumping up and then draining on the negative.

I find when i go heavy with lower reps, my focus is on form and beating my personal bests, so that i dont injure myself.

with lighter weight and higher reps, i always try to do what Arnold preaches about, mind muscle, each bodypart i picture in my mind and i try to put my mind and brain into.

anyhow, the second part of the workout was back, here goes

Narrow Grip Assisted Chins 6 sets of 10-15, loved the blood flow comin in, i take these slow and use the assisted machine so i hang at the bottom for a second between reps before pulling up. i also stretch between sets for 10-20 seconds, i anchor myself to a stationary machine and not only get a stretch, but i try to flare/flex my lats in the stretch position to literally try and space my shoulder joints, fighting for more width on my lat spread. I firmly believe in stretching the back and flexing while doing so, it hurts like a bitch, but i think in time it helps build a v taper, and i have a shorter blockier physique, so i will take every fukn advantage and millimeter i can get

Underhand grip pulldown 5 sets of 10-12
Cable Rows 5 sets of 10-12
1 arm dbell rows 4 sets of 10-15
Hammer strength high pulldown 3 sets of 15
Seated machine overhand rows 4 sets of 10-12
Straight arm pulldowns 3 sets of 15-25

Stretching was done in between most sets for 10-15 seconds, Chest took awhile, Back went alot quicker, once i got into it, the feel and the pump was awesome, plus i thought the quicker i get through it, the quicker i get a bowl of oatmeal.
I didnt have a set no. of exercises or sets for either chest or back, i just worked em till i felt done

at the end i finsihed with
cable crunches, fairly heavy, 10 sets fo 6-12
Planks with arms elevated on an exercise ball (yep i know how to use on of them bouncy things) 3 sets of 1 minute holds

10 minute full upperbody stretching.

done. 2 hrs and this ones in the bag.

Northman
11-04-09, 10:31 pm
Looks like a good weekend man! Enjoy the cardio tonight! Its always fun.

Fun like a kick in the nuts is fun. Cardio Sucks!

2 hour workouts... are you sure you aren't committed somewhere?

Beach91
11-05-09, 4:28 pm
Ah Stiff I am committed, i love to train. I was talking to a friend in the gym the other day, not sure where the topic came from, but he asked What I would like to be doing at 85, i thought for a moment, and i simply said, i would like to still be coming to the gym and exercising in one way, or another. And i see it as a goal of mine, ever since picking up a weight at 13, its always felt natural, like i was born to do this.

Cardio on the other hand, not so much. When i lift, i love the rush, the heavy breathing, the sweat. Cardio, however, the same things that were my friends the day before, are now my foes, time is against me, the rush is painful/annoying, the breathing the sweat its so cumbersome

Anyhow, 2nites workout, which i am going to do in about 45 minutes, is 20 minutes HIIT cardio on the bike and stretching.

I am so bloody sore today from the past 2 workouts, a good sore though, the pain lets me know what i work so hard for is felt, is real

oh yeah. . . one more thing

Cardio Sucks, Bless u Shak for that Ad

Beach91
11-05-09, 4:52 pm
Not sure if its covered in a lot of Journeys, but its my party i will cry if i want to.

oooh bad joke, anyhow, my journey my words

Whether it be during a bulk or a cut, food prep takes time. the old adage bleeds true here though that Failing to Prepare is Preparing to fail.

I always look ahead into the weeks and coming months to see whats planned, whats on the horizon, whether it be work, family, life, something will always come up, something that may change your meals, your gym sched. etc. So I look ahead, and plan for the items I know about and even have backups for the issue that may arise that will be surprises.

This has allowed me to not miss any sched. workouts in over 10 years. This has allowed me to successfully compete in several shows without missing meals, workouts and the 2 a day cardio sessions. Time management and planning are skills any bodybuilder must master if they are going to be as productive in the gym as outside of it. And to be successful as well.

Currently, while bulking, I buy all my groceries in bulk, usually after pay day, i buy a good 2 weeks worth of groceries. From there, yams are cooked open in the oven, chicken and potatoes are bbqd up in 1-2 week amounts, as well as steak. Oatmeal, i cook right before eating it.

If anyones seen Evans Offseason cooking video from MD, this will give you a good idea of how i prepare for my week. Then, with all groceries bought and cooked over the weekend, Tupperware, (you know one of any bodybuilders best friends) is used to keep everything in the fridge. My fridge is always stocked.

From there, I am a creature of routine and habit. Every night as soon as i get home from the gym, the oatmeal goes in the microwave to cook. Then i weigh and measure out all of the next days meals, as well as portion of my BCAA shakes, and my daily pills/ pre and post workout mixes. 20 minutes later, its all measure out and packed to take out of the fridge in the morning, and my oatmeal is done, toss in one scoop of protein and then eat my postworkout meal.

I always have extra meals measured out for the just in case situations, while bulking i alwasy have the next days meals measure out the night before, make sure theres room in the fridge cause all that food takes up space!! its funny when dieting, i usually have all my meals measure out for at least 3 days if not more, as the little amount of food i take in, especially the last few weeks, doesnt take up as much room.

All in all, it may not seem exciting to do this, and I get a lot of questions from friends on why i bulk with the same foods that i diet with, and its pretty simple, its easy to mass produce, to plan everything out and to get into a groove, a rhthym that works well for my situation. If I want or crave a different food, i usually allow myself a few out of the ordinary meals during the week, but mostly stay on track.

Just thought i would post it up in here in case anyone was having trouble sleeping at nite and needed to cure some insomnia

Firefist
11-05-09, 6:20 pm
good post man. food prep is very important, and people sometimes dont take it seriously, thus resorting to fast food.

Firedrake
11-05-09, 9:01 pm
Sounds like we have similar attitudes toward both long-term training, and planning. I'm lucky in that I have a roommate who loves to cook, and the day before I got back from Kentucky, cheerfully prepared the rest of my food for the week. All I do is put it all together at night, and cart my cooler into the office in the morning.

I'm right there with you about training until I can't anymore, and that'll be a LONNNGGGGG time. At 55, I'm healthier, stronger and happier than I've been in decades, and enjoying every minute of it.

I'm looking forward to my first show next July. I've done the two hours a day cardio thing when I first got back to the gym and hooked up with Rage after my back surgery, so I know I can cope with the cutting. I lost 60 pounds of ugly fat between July of '08 and March of this year, without losing any of the lean mass I then had. Having added over 20 lbs. of lean body mass since then, my BMI is even higher.

The Iron Contest was a trial for me, to see if I could add mass without gaining fat. For the first four weeks, my carbs were too high, and I added about equal amounts of fat and muscle. We tweaked the diet the rest of the way, and I lost most of the fat gain by the end. I'm now running about 400 protein, 200 carbs, and it's working nicely.

I look forward to watching your progress!

Beach91
11-06-09, 11:37 am
Amazing Stuff Firedrake, I wanna train forever and am glad to see your results, your story is what this Forvm is all about, Working with another bro in Rage, combined with your hard work and dilligence youve transformed yourself and your body into a stronger, healthier machine. In Essence, as Anti-Asian's hat says, " You are your maker"

I cant wait to see you hitting the stage in 2010, you better post a tonne of pics!!!!!!!!!!

Train hard brother, and never be satisfied, always hunger for more!

AZN-BEEF
11-06-09, 1:25 pm
hey bro you were at the olympia right? we met at the abc. solid work crazy volume on that chest workout.. subbed brother

Beach91
11-06-09, 1:29 pm
Yep, AZN-BEEF, that was me, it was a pleasure to meet ya, and thanks for stoppin by!! I wish i coulda talked to everyone a bit longer, but being a high volume guy, i had tonnes left to do, even when u guys went to Eat, i still did another 45 minutes of weights.

t_mh
11-06-09, 3:33 pm
Yep, AZN-BEEF, that was me, it was a pleasure to meet ya, and thanks for stoppin by!! I wish i coulda talked to everyone a bit longer, but being a high volume guy, i had tonnes left to do, even when u guys went to Eat, i still did another 45 minutes of weights.

Good looking chest day, man. I know what you mean about lower rep ranges for chest but sometimes changing it up to 10-15 is great and can be very humbling.

Hey Tyler

just a question or two, are you doing Wendlers 5-3-1?

If so how do u like it compared to other workout methods u have used and have u noticed greater gains in strength/size using these methods?

sorry for all the questions
beach
Yeah I'm doing 5/3/1. I like it a lot so far, but you definitely have to consider your goals first. You definitely seem to be into bodybuilding while i'm leaning more toward the powerlifting side (granted, I don't compete in either).

I think it's important to think about that first because, while the 5/3/1 is great for strength gains (For example in 2 months, my deadlift went up 70 pounds, bench 15, military 20), it's not really a size program. I have definitely gotten bigger I think that could be because 1) I now only train 4 days a week and the reduced stress has probably allowed better recovery and growth, and 2) I started using creatine (in torrent) when I started 5/3/1. The assistance work is in the 10-20 range so I definitely get the "hypertrophy range," but there're too many variables to know if this program has really made me bigger. Also, I get almost no direct arm work.

However, I don't think there is ANY question that this is one of the best strength programs out there. I'm really happy with my gains and I love having a sense of direction. Every workout I set a goal for the last set and it gives me more drive. Plus, most sessions can be completed in 45 min.

Sorry to give you a huge response, but that's my take on the program. I'm far from an expert and am only on the third cycle, but I think it's an awesome program. Let me know if you have any more questions. Also, IRBS is a good resource for this, if you're thinking about it.

Beach91
11-06-09, 9:08 pm
Wow, today was an amazing day at work, nothing much happened so i spent a good days worth o time on the Forvm, reading everyones journeys got me jacked n supermotivated

thanks to everyone for the insight and motivation, though we travel alone in our journeys, we are together in the quest for improvement

Shoulders
rotator cuff exercises 6 sets of 10-15
dumbbell shoulder press 10 sets of 10-15
seated dbell laterals 5 sets of 10-15
front raises 4 sets of 10-15
Reverse peck deck 4 sets of 10-15

Barbell curls 7 sets of 10-12
Concen. Cable Curls 5 sets of 10 per arm
Hammers 4 sets of 10-12

Pressdowns 5 sets of 10-15
Dips between 2 benches 6 sets of 15-20
Oh dumbell extensions 4 sets of 10-12
Kickbacks 5 sets of 10-15

The workout had lotsa volume, but with the higher reps I trained with lighter weight and went for a feel and pump, i had no set workout in mind before starting i just knew the bodyparts i had to trained and hammered em until they told me they were done.

yes i am crazy, yes my muscles talk to me, i figure if it helped johnny appleseeds trees grow, why not help out my body if i talk to it

the sets went by in a blur, my rest time was probably 45 sec. between sets, i just had a great bodybuilding day at work and was so fired up, i raced through the workouts.

Plus, that new animal ad with the message of being true to oneself, is SICK, i am a very visually motivated person, i collect all the ads from Animal, and use em for motivation and i am amped that a new one is comin for Beach's collection

Beach91
11-07-09, 7:01 pm
DId a lowerbody power session, i seemed groggy throughout the workout, i wasnt as excited as last nite but anyway here goes

Front Squats 5X5, last week i hit 225 and was happy about, this week i did the same and added little 1 lb plates onto the bar making it 227, i know its not much, but its progress, i will fight claw n scratch for any little extra i can do, and i hit it on my 3, 4th and 5th sets, so i was happy with that

Hack Squats 8 - 6-10 reps

Leg Extensions - 4 sets of 8-10

Ham Curls Lying - 5 sets of 8-10

GHR 5 sets of 6-10

Seated leg curls - 5 sets of 10-12

Hip adductor - 5 sets of 8-10

Hip abductor 5 sets of 8-10

Stretching 5 minutes

Good workout, not super into it, not sure why but still moved the weight. I loved the feeling of the abductor and adductor exercises today, made my legs feel like they were 3D if that makes any sense.

Beach91
11-07-09, 7:08 pm
Just a note, I have added in 300 mg of ALA post workout to help with the insulin surge with the dextrose/creatine combo, and have moved my animal pak back to the morning with breakfast. Since the pak does contain uniliver, complete proteins, i figured it may slow amino absorption postworkout somewhat, so i moved the pak back to breakfast and got some pure Alpha lipoic acid in there. I believe this to be more optimal in my supplementation game.

I havent increased any calories this week, my weight is up to 197 lbs which is up 4 lbs over last week, the increase has a lot to do with the amount of food i ate last week, but its mostly good weight, with my entire upper and lower body filling out more. My ab lines still show, but are somewhat blurry, i believe though it has alot to do with the extra sodium in the green beans, as it looks to be more water retention than anything. Anyhow, my strength is still increasing little by little which is good, and i will keep monitoring everything, my power week is coming and i think i may up the cals just a bit this week as well

more food more food more food, i almost cant keep up to the amount of yams i cook, the ladies at the grocery store always bug me now, its like more yams again? Yes ma'am, more yams

with that, i will talk to this journey tomorrow

Beach91
11-08-09, 8:55 pm
Sunday nite Power upper body

Felt good today, so i will get into it

Incline Bench Press - 4 sets of 5, worked up to 272, with the baby plates for 5 solid reps on my last set, i tried 275 last week and only got 4, so i went a coupla pounds less and focused and had a really good blast on the set, i will get 275 its comin soon

Flat pec deck 2 sets of 8-10

Deadlifts - 2 sets of 8-10 to get warmed up

then I did 3 sets of 5, last set i got 405 with good form for 5 solid reps, i think i could forced out another 2-3 more but i was happy with the 5 its what i was shootin for and this week comes low reps and all out power workouts, so i will be hittin up deads again very soon

Cable rows 2 sets of 8-10

Tbars 2 sets of 8

Lat pulldowns 2 sets of 8-10

Shoulder Barbell Press Standing 3 sets of 8-10, these felt wicked good

Lat raises 2 sets of 8-10

Shrugs 3 sets of 10, with dumbells, shoulders felt really painful, in a good way tonite

Preacher curls 3 sets of 6-8

Hammer curls 2 sets of 8

French press 3 sets of 6-10

Cable overhead extensions 2 sets of 8-10

Leg raises 5 sets o 15
Decline crunch 5 sets of 10-12
Wood choppers for the obliques 3 sets of 8-10 per side
Planks 3 sets of 1 minute

Excited about the deads and incline press weight used, good form and the feel on the exercise was great, i felt really strong, it may be small incremental progress but its progress and nickle and diming soon will equal some nice dollars

Firedrake
11-08-09, 11:40 pm
That's some substantial volume, bro! Great looking work!

AZN-BEEF
11-10-09, 6:38 pm
DAMN!

strong incline/deadlifts!

Beach91
11-11-09, 11:38 am
This week is the Power week in my current routine

I started it last night with Leg Power session

Front Squats - 8 sets of between 2-6 reps

Smith Squats 8 sets of 1-6 reps

1 Leg Smith Lunges 6 sets of 3-5 reps

1 Leg Horizontal Press 8 sets of 3-6 reps

Very heavy wt. moved, I did only 4 exercises with very low reps and just got into it and got under the weight and pushed like my life depended on it. My overall thoughts though were that my Front and Smith Squats kinda sucked, the best part of the workouts were the heavy lunges and the leg presses, i think it may have to do with the fact that my weekends are already lower rep power workouts so going into a Power week, I just dont have it, in terms of muscle feel during the exercises and in terms of the poundage used, I mean i used a little more weight, but felt if I keep power workouts to once a week, then i could use a lot more weight on sets where i only hit 3 or 4 reps.
I currently bulk in cycles of 6-10 weeks, followed by 2 weeks of diet and deloading, then back to bulking. I am thinking, and will recheck my logs, but after this current bulk cycle ends, the next bulk cycle i have i will continue with power upper and lower weekend movements, then during my weeks i will do 2 weeks of hypertrophy, and then 1 week of shock movements to change it up, and strictly keep the power stuff for the weekend instead of doing a power week as well.

We will see, i felt the same way the last leg power session, but had an awesome upper body power session. I have upper body power tonite, since its a day off from work today, so I will see how it goes. Doing power 2wice this week though, I am sore and feelin beat up, thats just par for this course though

Firedrake
11-11-09, 8:13 pm
Looking solid -- I hear you about sore and beat up! <grin>

I think I had my best form morning ever on Smith Squats today . . . but I'd just set a PR on leg presses, so the weights weren't at my top <grin>.

Some good work, there!

Beach91
11-12-09, 8:59 am
Thanks Firedrake, gonna checkout your Journey sometime today!

Upper Body Power Session

More fun had last nite, i enjoy lower reps for the upper body about 11.78 times more than for legs, just kidding its more like 50 or 100 times more

Incline Barbell Presses 3X5 reps, 1 X 3 reps, On my last set of 5 I easily hit 275 for 5 which is a best for me in this current training cycle, it was what i was working for. I threw on another 20 lbs taking it up to 295, and hit 3 reps, so i was pretty stoked about this lift

Flat Hammer Press 5 sets of 3-5 reps

Incline Hammer Press, 1 arm at a time, Never done this before for chest, just came into my mind why not try one arm at a time, loved the change and different feel, 4 sets of 6-8

Cable Rows 8 sets of 4-6, these felt great, about the third set in my whole upper body felt swollen and i could really feel the beta alainine tingles all over, i felt so good i could a ran out into Winnipeg and done a marathon at that point

Rack Deads- My legs were still sore from the past day so i opted for Rack deads instead of full deadlifts, 6 sets of 4-6 reps working up to 405

TBARs 4 sets of 8

Reverse Hammer Shoulder Press 5 sets of 6-10

Shrugs Barbell 5 sets of 6-10, started getting tired here

Cable curls 5 sets of 6-8, using full stack of weight, a kid was deadlifting behind me at this point, musta been 23-23 about 180-190 lbs at the most and he was pulling 470 from the floor clean with perfect form for sets of 6-8 reps, totally surprised me, never woulda guessed he could do it, he was extremely lean and was doing a back session in the gym, he was borrowing chalk off of me (chalks not allowed at the gym im at but i use it anyway), i gave him major props though, seeing that amped me up and made me want to work harder

1 arm tricep dip pressdown machine 3 sets of 5-8
cable pressdowns 1 arm 3 sets of 6-10

After seeing that guy, and not doing full deads earlier, i figured i have a little bitta juice left in the lower body, so i went at stiff leggeddeads, 315 was pulled for 6 sets of 6-10. I wasnt about to go any higher, but this blasted my hamstrings, it felt great as the past leg workout from the nite before was more quad dominant

Seated calf raises 5 sets of 5-10, since they were hit with the stiff legged deads a bit, i figured why not finish em off

done and done, 2 solid hours, had lotsa energy and felt great

super sore today though

Beach91
11-12-09, 9:07 am
New Dietary Change, more food, more food

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I have checked my weight every few mornings, I am currently up at 197 lbs, and have been for the past several mornings. Everything is progressing fairly well, so i will be increasing my calories again to close to 3300 daily calories.

What I am adding in to my diet plan is a half cup of skim 1% milk, taken in with my postworkout oatmeal/whey shake meal. I have to be careful because i am lactose intolerant, but as long as i consume small amounts with whole foods, my system seems to process milk better. In the past, I have had certain cheat days in which I eat 2 or 3 boxes of cereal with jugs of milk, tonnes of cheerios. I take the lactose pills to help out, but i love milk, so i figure a little pain is worth it once in awhile. I also note that when i drink milk, i find i heal from workouts a bit better and it fills me out and hardens my entire body in a weird way. Its weird, it kills my stomach, but reacts well with all my other muscles.

Just listening to my body, this takes the calories up just over 3300, cllose to 700 above maintenance level. My wt. should steadily increase now, and I look forward to more quality gains.

630 a.m. - 5 grams BCAAs

1 scoop of whey protein

8 ounces of yams

1/2 cup oats
1 CAN OF GREEN BEANS ADDED IN TO MY DAILY MEALS BEFORE TRAINING

5 grams BCAAS
2.5 grams creatine mono
1 gram citrulline
2 grams beta alanine
200 mg caffeine
2 TEASPOONS DEXTROSE

5-10 grams BCAAs
2.5 g creatine mono,
2 grams beta alanine
30 grams dextrose
8 OUNCES baked potatoe

8 p.m - 1/2 cup steel cut oats mixed with 1 scoop of Whey protein, 1 TSP NATTY PEANUT BUTTER, ADD IN 1/2 CUP of SKIM MILK

4 ounces of chicken
4 ounces of yams

Firedrake
11-12-09, 8:14 pm
Looking like some good planning, bro! Very precise dieting.

AZN-BEEF
11-12-09, 9:27 pm
Looking like some good planning, bro! Very precise dieting.

x2! nice weight gain too brother

t_mh
11-12-09, 10:26 pm
Good session, as always, man.

1 arm tricep machine? Why not use both arms?

The chalk rule is a bitch, but I've never been told not to use it, I just know it's against the rules and get funny looks. And when I take my shoes off to pull I get even more.

Beach91
11-13-09, 9:14 am
Thanks all for the replies!

I only use one arm at a time because you have to load plates onto the machine, using two arms is way to easy i can easily pressdown more than the machine can hold for high reps, but for a lower rep range, i load it up and only use one arm, it makes it way more difficult

As for chalk, I love it, i never really use my wrist wraps to often but wear em just in case, i prefer my forearms to take the brunt of the work, but once i get heavier into my deads, i always pull out the chalk, no ones ever said anything yet, but i get tonnes of looks because its not really a hardcore gym, most people barely sweat when they workout, me, I am always drenched. Its more of a social club with tonnes of equip. , that people come to on nights when they arent going out. Kinda sad.

anyhow, last nite was a cardio only nite, since i did the weights the night before, did my Intervals for 20 minutes. Not much fun!

Crunches - 5 by 10 reps, super slow with a couple second hold at the top of the contraction

Hanging Cyclical Knee raises - 5 sets of 18-20 per leg, this was the best part of my gym visit yesterday

as everyone already knows, cardio sucks

Northman
11-13-09, 11:19 pm
Chalk is one of my best friends!

Oh, we know.

Beach91
11-14-09, 9:11 am
Did another cardio session yesterday, in and done, 20 minutes of pure interval goodness.

pretty excited for today, doing a leg power session later this afternoon and then ordering pizza tonite.
So excited i couldnt sleep, which was ok, the old transformers cartoons are on early in the morning here, and the latest episodes had the dinobots in em, kickin ass and takin names.

Anyhow, theme for this post
cardio sucks, Dinobots rule

Beach91
11-14-09, 11:26 pm
Being the third leg power session in the span of seven days, i was definitely feeling a little worn out. i rested all day today and had a good session, defintiely not my strongest but the focus and intesity were there, a bit more rest and tonites cheat meal, combined with the coming week being a shock week, i think next weekends power session will go better.

Leg ext 2X20, then 3 hella heavy sets of 8-10, done very slowly, i dont fully extend at the top of my extensions and stop short of locking out and flex the quad, this felt very good

hack squats 5 sets of 6-8
1 leg horizontal press 6 sets of 8-10
GHR 8 sets of 6-10, these sucked today, the strength just wasnt there in the hamstrings
Vertical 2 leg press 5 sets of 6-8, done very deep, no two cm reps, very heavy weight used too, but i bet everyone says that on their leg press

Ham curls 6 sets of 8-10, these sucked too again no strength in the hams

adductor hip machine 5 sets of 8-12
abductor machine 5 sets of 8-12, i received tonnes of funny looks today for using these, but can honestly say they were the most effective exercises, they had my legs shakin and feeling swollen

1 leg calf raise 4 sets of 6-8, done in a leg press station
seated calf raises 5 sets of 10-15, i am constantly doing diff. things with calves, i believe shock n variety work best for muscles like calves and abs, which some say can be worked everyday, i have done that in the past, but find working them 2-3 times a week sufficient as long as something is different in how the muscles are attacked whether it be intensity, rep range ,weight, exercise selection etc.

lying cable crunches combine with weighted knee ins, 6 sets of 8-15

overhead cable crunch 6 sets of 10-12

overall not the best power day no PRs, not alot of squat action either, i am heading back to the parents farm this week, so i will be training in the little "Breach" gym where my training began, not alot of equipment just basic bars, and since its shock week, i will get my fill of diff. types of squats come this tues.

Beach91
11-15-09, 11:56 am
Early morning power upper session before headin out to tha farm

Ate a tonne of pizza last nite, so felt i better put it to use

Inc Press 1X10, 3X5, last set I did with 277 lbs, using tiny little pound plates to go up a little from 275, the set went great happy with the pump too

Pec deck 5 of 8-10

Deadlifts 1 X10, 5X5, I did 407 usin the same little lb plates as the incline press to slowly up my weight on this as well, this felt great easier than last week and i am happy with the lift and the result

Lat pulldown 4 sets of 8

Smith Shoulder press 5 sets of 6-10

dumbell curls 4 sets of 6-8, monster pump here, pizza and sodium do the biceps well, too bad it doesnt have the same effect on the ol ab lower back region, as the bloat is on folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tricep pressdowns 4 sets of 6-10

awesome session, fully pumped, strong like a bull or a tractor as the sayin would go
an older lifter was doin deads next to me and just using a plate, and when i went over 4 plates a side his eyes were just huge, it was kinda funny, he said i had an easier time doing all the weight than he had with his, i said thanks and just told him to keep at and eat lots, he wil get there, he laughed it off, but i just said work hard and believe buddy its all u gotta do

and eat 3 pizzas the night before

Northman
11-15-09, 8:24 pm
After just a couple pieces of pizza I get unbearably thirsty! I can't imagine eating 3 whole pizzas myself.

t_mh
11-15-09, 10:16 pm
Wow 3 pizzas?! I'm a pizza disposer, but 3 is inhuman haah.

Firefist
11-15-09, 10:32 pm
awesome pullin bro. 4 plates is no joke to anyone in the gym.

Beach91
11-20-09, 3:13 pm
Thanks guys for stoppin by, my appetite never quits, i can easily put on weight, albeit bad weight. The 3 pizzas did fill me up, but 4 hours later I could have eaten another 3, and my appetite is always like that, i never really seem to be full and usually quit eating when i am tired of eating, not necessarily full. It takes a great deal of willpower to stick to a diet routine and measuring out my foods, once i get in the groove it is easy, but those first few days after a cheat, or going from bulking to dieting are always super tough.

That being said, havent been on in a long time, i was back home on the parents farm for a week, away from all civilization which was very peaceful and relaxing. I also was able to train in my mini gym where i began training some 16 years ago, just like the Breach gym in the new ads.

I have about 700-800 lbs of the old york weights and bars, and an old bench and cable station. Very primitve, old school and i love it for it. To have an amazing workout all u need is the right mindset and intensity, equipment is just a luxury.

With that in mind here goes, First workout for the Week was Leg Shock session

Leg Extension 10 sets of 15-20 reps SUPERSET with
Front Squats 10 sets of 10-15

If u cant feel your quads work give that superset a shot, lower the weight to get the reps and feel the blood flow

Next I did, Dumbell LUnges Superset with Barbell Stepups onto a chair, each done for 5 sets, Lunges i did 15 reps, stepups was anywhere from 6-10 reps, these were extremely difficult and i could again feel the blood rushing into my quads at the top of each stepup.
Defintiely killer, I was gasping for air and will give a huge 2 thumbs up to Universals Intra Aid, i had a sample pack so thought i would give it a shot during the workout, i started drinking it during the Lunges and found my energy to be even and increased.

Stiff Leg Deads - 10 sets of 10-12 done FST 7 style with 25 second rest breaks
Lying Dumbell hamstring curls 4 sets of 10-15, 1 second on the positive, 8 seconds slow negatives

1 Leg Jefferson lifts 5 sets of 10 per leg

Calves - 5 sets of standing 30s

Amazing shock workout, totally killed the legs, but felt good, really enjoyed the Intra Aid during the workout, I always hate training legs at the farm its cold in the basement where my old gym is, the air quality is stuffy and sucks but once i got into it, 2 hrs flew by, i kept my rest periods minimal so my legs would fatigue with lighter amounts of weight and cant complain. Went through 2 sets of clothes due to sweat loss, its all good.

Firedrake
11-20-09, 3:15 pm
Nice session -- sounds like a great trip!

I was doing 10x10s on Tuesday and I'm -still- walkin' funny.

Beach91
11-20-09, 3:17 pm
Day after the Leg day, was cardio, did 30 minutes on the treadmill, 1 minute walking followed by 1 minute running, done for 15 intervals, just for a little change on the intesity on the interval training.

Abs
5 sets of decline bench crunces 15 reps
good mornings 5 sets of 15
Leg raises on a decline bench 5 sets of 8-15
Pilates Swim exercise 5 sets of 15 per side

2 vaccuums on the floor 20 seconds
1 standing vaccuum for over 20 seconds, these burned burned burned and are harder to do now with the extra weight gain during the bulk, I hadnt done them in awhile and am a little over 200 lbs at the moment, still love doin the vaccuums, super old school

Firedrake
11-20-09, 3:21 pm
DO you mean abdominal vacuums? Or what?

Nice work!

Beach91
11-20-09, 3:51 pm
Yep , ab vaccuums buddy, you will need to start doing them as you get further into contest prep and posing, they help a great deal. They are a form of isometric exercise for your abdominal wall.

Every time I did posing practice for shows, not only would i work on my vaccuums, but practice vacuuming while smiling and posing , trying not to fully exhale and blow out, keeping the waist tight throughout all mandatories and the routine, i also do some forms of pilates exercise and feel that the plank is one of the best core strengthening exercises out there, which you can vacuum while doing as well.

I think its a sorely missed pose in todays bodybuilding, but i included it in all of my routines, as not only a tribute to Zane but i think it adds to that illusion of wide shoulders and a tiny waist. Give it a shot if u have space for it in your routine!

t_mh
11-20-09, 4:05 pm
yeah I do them occasionally. Sometimes in class haha.

Beach91
11-20-09, 5:51 pm
just gettin to post this now, in my lull times at work I post on the forvm, so just getting caught up from being at the farm this past weekend. Just got back into the city late last nite, and had my meals packed so i ate on the road, and went straight to the gym last nite, did my session, then headed to my house in the city.

Not sure if it was cause of the drive or it being a little later session, i was kinda tired and in a daze through the workout, it wasnt as much fun as it usually is, anyhow

Incline Flys - Crazy 8s, ala Rodney Rollers methods, 8 sets, with 8 second rest breaks inbetween sets for 8 reps each set. loved these

Inc Press Hammer machine - 7 sets 10-12 reps, FST 7 methhod, loved these too

Flat Machine press - 4 sets of 21s, the last 7 full reps of each set done as explosive as possible.

Chest was pumped, best part of the workout

Lat Pulldowns - 1.5 rep methods, 4 sets of 8-15, these sucked, i totally hated this one

Cable Rows - Got the workout back on track FST 7 style, with 7 sets of 10-12 reps

TBAR - Large continous ascending to descending sets, starting at 1 plate, then 2, then 2 plus 25, then 3, then back down to 2 plus 25, 2, 1. Doing as many reps as possible, obviously its easy at the start, killer at the end. I did 2 cycles of this.

Rack chins - 2 sets of 8, 1 second upwards, then 8 second slow descent on each rep

standing pulldowns 2 sets to failure 20+reps

Lat dumbell raises 3 sets of 10-15, after each set was completed I picked up dumbells that were twice as heavy and did half reps to failure, awesome pump

Rest pause shrugs - 3 sets of 20, 5 reps were followed by 15 sec rest breaks, for 4 cycles. This was easy, i should have used more weight and actually flew through it

Reverse laterals on incl. bench superset with Lying Dumbell shrugs facedown on incl. bench 2 sets of each 10-15 reps

Preacher Bench 21s for 4 sets

Preacher Bench Tricep Ext. machine 7 sets of FST 7 style - good pump here as well.

long workout, maybe it was the drive, maybe the sadness of leavin the farm, not sure, just feeling blah after the workout instead of over the top excited n pumped like i usually am

Beach91
11-21-09, 5:38 pm
Cardio session last nite, 20 minutes of intervals HIT on the elliptical, Not much fun

Which brings me to todays Leg Power session, this Was MUCH Fun

Front Squats 5X5 style, got up to 235 today never done that before, pretty happy with that

Hack Squats 6 sets of 8-10 reps

1 Leg Smith Lunges 5 sets of 8-10, went heavy, these were gruelling, but nothin beats a deep lunge, well maybe a deep squat, but thats just apples n oranges, and on a bulk, why not have both? lame joke, i know

GHR 5 sets of 7-10 reps, these burned, cant say i have ever had too many off sets when doin GHRs

Ham Curls 6 sets of 8-10

Seated Calf Raises 5 sets of 6-8 reps, super heavy, my legs are still shakin when i walk, and its been 4 hrs since i worked out, all due to these

Cable Crunches 10 sets of 10-15

Very solid day, very fun

Beach91
11-22-09, 12:56 pm
Felt good today, had to go in early, Footballs on all day, so got get the work done before the play

Incline Press 1 set of 10 reps, 4 sets of 5 reps, Hit 280 for 4 solid reps on the last set, my spotter was gonna help on the fifth as i hit a sticking point 3/4 of the way up, but as soon as he came near the bar i fired it up and got that fifth rep

Deadlifts - 1 set of 12, 1set of 8, then 4 sets of 5, 4, 2 and 5 reps, i went for 425 and got 4 solid reps but couldnt get a fifth all the way up, i was pissed off, put the weight down, then tried again a few seconds later and could only muster a solid 2 reps. i took a little more of a rest, calmed down, focused and backed off on the weight and got a solid 5 reps

Flat hammer press 3 sets of 10, 8, 6

Cable rows - 4 sets of 8-10 reps

smith shoulder press 3 sets of 8

Cable reverse laterals 3 sets of 8-10

Reverse machine shoulder press 2 sets of 10

dumbell curls 4 sets of 6-8

Skullcrushers 4 sets of 8-10

Incline planks 3 sets of 1 minute

very fun workout, i can see i am struggling a bit to inch up in weights not only on my legs yesterday but on my upper body workout. A couple weeks of deloading is coming soon, and i think my body needs it, it sure feels like it, but all in all good session today, hope everyone enjoys the football on tap today!!!!!!!!!

Max-Angle
11-22-09, 1:13 pm
Nice work man, keep that weight up, you make it to your goals, "the man with one seed and the ability to do rather than say with grow more plants than a lazy man with a bag of seeds and all the time in the world."

Beach91
11-24-09, 12:02 pm
Thanks Max for the words, I wish i could say i reach my goals, the little ones i set yes, the larger ones, i think i will always chase, they are very far in the distance, but hardwork and persistence will help shorten that distance.

Last nite, 20 minutes of interval cardio heaven, in and done.

tonite chest n arms hypertrophy, cant wait cant wait, tonites gonna be fun!

Beach91
11-25-09, 8:58 am
Incline Fly 6 sets of 10-15
Flat Hammer Press 5 sets of 10-12
Inc Hammer Press, 1 arm at a time, 6 sets of 10-15
Cable Crossovers 4 sets of 10-15

Barbell Curls 6 sets of 10-15
concentration curls 5 setsof 10-15
Reverse cambered bar curls 5 set of 10

Weighted Dip Machine 6 sets of 15-20
OH dumbell extension 3 sets of 10-12, wasnt having fun with these so I cut the sets short
Pressdowns 6 sets of 10-15
Kickbacks 4 sets of 10-15
Preacher Skullcrusher machine 3 sets of 10-12

Great workout, went fairly quick, did everything in under an hour and a half, which is quick for me, had no set game plan going in and did what i felt like doing at the time for each bodypart.

tomorrow nite legs.

Max-Angle
11-25-09, 11:20 am
Nice work on the flyes, I think i'd be dying after that many sets since they are later in my workout, question, for Barbell Curls do you find you get a better pump and hypertrophy kneeling or standing, standing it never feels like im really working the biceps, + we all have big goals, what are yours because mine are probably up there in the crazy section of thinking, I wanna be that guy who weighs 2-3 hundred pounds and can bench 3-5 hundred and deadlift way past that, i wanna be that guy people talk about for days after thev've seen me, that guy people talk as "the guy who can eat a buffet and stay in shape" those are my dreams, and of course i wanna be veiny like a motherfucker which i know is genetics, diet, and water intake but I am starting to see significant veins in my right arm even when i'm not working out but then i go to school and see those guys with great genes. They guys who have veins bulging i didn't even know we had in our arms, i wanna be those guys but then i think and say hey, they probably can't even deadlift as much as me, for all i know thats all scar tissue. I'll get there one day, if i fall out of the game i know ill come back and with god on my side because of "muscle memory" that was one thing i was always scared of if i stopped for a long time that all my work would be lost. I was bored in gym so i went over to the bench which you can also do deadlifts on and i lifted like idk what it was probably like 270-280 with the bar since its an olympic bar, I only did it once because i had my back workout later which i never got to cuz i hung out with my gf, but my one friend called me a freak and you know thats what you need to do man, when someone calls you a name like that because of what your building yourself to be, you need to make those words work for you, you are a freak, a freak of nature set out with goals and and your a man that will make it.

Beach91
11-25-09, 11:57 am
Hi Max, thats alot of info there, but to answer your curling question, either way will work as long as you use a full range of motion to fully work your biceps. I prefer standing myself, just keep your entire body steady and focus on curling the weight upwards with your arms, if you are throwing your body into the movement, your are cheating too much, the focus should be on the biceps pulling the weight upward.

As for Big Goals, everyone has them, if not you wander through life without feeling, without emotion. If you want to achieve, persistence and hardwork will do wonders. Focus on setting smaller goals which you can work towards to achieve, that are congruent or inline with a larger goal. You seem to be really enthusiastic, and have a million ideas floating out in your post, take the time to figure exactly what you want, define your goal, then work towards setting a plan in place to achieve.

Max-Angle
11-25-09, 1:35 pm
Well my goals right now is reach a muscular form of 200lbs and to increase my bench and deadlift quite a bit, if you check out my Journey you'll see my progress, if you wanna check it out, i check yours out now and then

Beach91
11-26-09, 9:17 am
Extremely sore today. Extremely. Not typical either my legs normally get me 2 days later with DOMS, but even last night after finishing this workout I was sore. I believe the higher rep ranges contributed to this soreness, as i checked the logs and my power weeks and days are obviously lower reps, but even alot of my shock workouts dont have moderate to super high rep ranges.

Leg Press, 6 sets of 20-40 reps
Hack Squat 5 sets of 15
1 Leg Smith Lunge (Killer) 4 sets of 10-12
GHR 6 sets of 6-10, My GHR strength is actually going down, not happy about this, after about five reps my hams are getting blown up, a sure sign deload time is needed

Walking Lunges, brutal, hadnt done these in awhile and in my old school chuck Ts, I went super deep on each lunge to feel the ham/glutes work and these were killer

Hip Abductor 3 sets of 15-20
Hip Adductor 3 sets of 15-20
Calf Raises 4 sets of 30s

Crunches 5 sets of 12-15
Decline Crunch 3 sets of 15
Decline Leg Raise 4 sets of 10-15
Hanging Leg Raise 3 sets of 10-15

Very sluggish going into the workout, sore and tired coming out of it. Next up back n shoulders tonite.

Max-Angle
11-26-09, 9:29 am
Nice work man, feel the fire!

Northman
11-26-09, 10:59 am
You work out waaaay to much, lol!

Beach91
11-26-09, 1:46 pm
Checked my weight this morning, first time in a week or two, and I am up to 202. Maybe I can hit up the 202 Division? just kidding. At last check I was 198-199 lbs so my weight is up. What can i attribute that to? I follow my diet plan rigidly all week, but do take a little more peanut butter in than my plan calls for, as well, my weekly 1 or 2 cheat meals provide an influx of calories above my normal diet plan. Finally, ever since trying intra aid, i have been taking in a combo of aminos/dextrose/beta alanine/ hydrolyzed whey during training, which is another 80-100 calories extra. With the extra in training drink and the extra peanut butter during the week, I would say my daily calories are around the 3500 calorie range.

At this range I am steadily gaining weight, so In a week or two I plan on doing a deload for a 2-3 week period, in which i will also diet, taking in around 2200-2300 calories a day. After this, I am going to try and take advantage of a little diet rebound, and up my calories back up to 3200 or more and go straight back into bulking.

Just a little insight on my diet/routine and regimen and my planning as far as how I do my diet when i go into a deloading phase.

Max-Angle
11-26-09, 9:35 pm
sounds good man

Beach91
11-27-09, 9:07 am
Cable rows 6 sets of 8-15
Lat Pulldown Parallel Grip 5 sets of 10-15
One arm rows 6 sets of 10-15
Hammer Pulldowns 3 sets of 12-15
Machine One hand overhanded Grip Rows 4 sets of 10-12
Behind the neck pulldown 5 sets of 10-15
Cable Rear Laterals 4 sets of 10-12
Dumbell shrugs 4 setos 10-12 reps
Arnold Press 6 sets of 10-12
Front Raise, combined with Side laterals, 5 sets of 10-15, one arm does a front raise, the other a side lateral, and you alternate this method throughout the set

Lots of work done in little time, i didnt take long rest breaks and felt really good during the entire workout, I began with back and as i finished i incorporated behind the neck pulldowns to lead into my shoulder workout, from their i attacked the rear deltoid head first, in terms of the exercises used, moving to the front near the end of the workout.
Fun was had!

Firefist
11-27-09, 11:10 am
nice nice, alot of volume, as usual! keep up the nasty work, and good on ya for breakin the 200 mark!

Beach91
11-28-09, 5:40 pm
Thanx Anti, Its been good, this is the leanest ive been past 200, i think its because i am keepin the reigns on the nutrition plan while bulking and only having 2-3 cheats a week, keeping the diet 90% clean.

Leg Power day
Front Squats - 2 sets of 10
3 sets of 5
1 set of 3 ( first shot at 235, not happy with just 3)
Next set of 235 I hit 5 good reps, super happy with this
2 sets of 3 with 245 and 250 ( I pushed hard cause i am gonna deload starting monday.

Hack Squats 3 sets of 8-10
2 sets of 6
decided to go heavier with deload comin, so then i did 4 more sets of 2-3 reps, heaviest wt. i have done hack squating, i wont say how much it was cause its pretty lightweight compared to some of the heavy hitters on here, all in all happy with it, but i gotta get these no. up

Leg Exte. 4 heavy sets of 8-10

Squat isometric hold with back against the wall, 5 sets of 1 min to 1.5 minutes, these blasted my entire legs, i felt these more than anything i did today, i cant believe in a musclemag i had over the summer it had Lee priest doin these for 4 and 5 minutes at a time, my legs shake so bad after 1 minute i almost piss myself!! i love it, this is where the beta alanine really tingles

GHRs - these went well today too, first time in a long time , 6 sets of 4-10 reps, still dont have the balls to hold the weight behind my head yet though

Seated leg curls 5 sets of 8-12

Abductor 3 sets of 12
Adductor 3 sets of 12

Cable crunches 10 sets of 8-15

Tommorrows upper power then deload n diet hits on monday. Very happy with workout and the results, i think what has helped my front and hacks improve the most is the stretching performed after the workouts and the inclusion of the hip abductor and adductor machine, they have strengthened my hips and inner outer thighs and groin areas, and the stretching has kept me more flexible and allowed me to go super deep on the squats without straining my back, as well as inching up my weights, some weeks even by just 2 lbs, has helped my whole body prepare for the heavier weight and strengthen the entire body throughout so that i could continuosly add weight, little by little

cant wait till tomorrow!

Firedrake
11-28-09, 11:26 pm
Great session! Those wall sits are killer, indeed.

You had a good range of exercises and solid numbers! Well done, sir!

Beach91
11-30-09, 10:50 am
Last Power Upper Session of Current Bulk Cycle

Inc. Bench Press 1 set of 10
1 set of 8
2 sets of 5
1 set of 4, put 295 on the bar, was going for 5, and got 5 with the help of a spotter, only did 4 on my own, so close, so I did a few more sets to try and work my way back up to it
2 sets of 5 at 265 and 275, done easily
1 set of 4, tried 295 again and couldnt get to 5 on my own, A definite sign a deload is needed, this was tiring, uggh, so close

Deadlifts 1 set of 10
1 set of 8
4 sets of 5, hit a PR for this 8 week bulk cycle of 425 lbs, I didnt think i would get it at all, 3 and a half plates felt heavy, like a tonne actually and i was breathing so heavy.
When i got up to 425 on the bar, i tried to stay focused and positive keep that negative stuff out, but i didnt think i would do it seeing as how the earlier sets were so difficult. In doing the set, every rep was painful and tough, my form was good but i definitely didnt blast through the set, after the first 4 reps, i paused with the weight at the top before the fifth rep and i didnt know if i could get it, but i took in a few deep breaths and got it up, surprised my self, and was seeing stars for a good minute after the set.

Flat hammer press 3 sets of 8
Cable rows 3 sets of 8
Pec Deck 2 sets of 10 and 8
TBAR rows 3 sets of 8-10

Barbell shoulder press 3 sets of 10, 8, 6
Dumbell Laterals 2 sets of 8
Shrugs 3 sets of 8-10
Dumbell Curl 4 sets of 6-8
Skullcrushers 4 sets of 8-10
REv. wrist curls 3 set 10-12
Wrist curls 3 sets of 12-15
Side wrist dumbell curls 3 sets of 12

done n done. Overall happy with the work, glad its done, i was still tired from the leg day and am happy to have completed the workout, it did take a lot out of me. I think i will enjoy the Patriots and saints tonite, and start deloading tomorrow.
Goals that come out of this for the next bulk cycle are to get that deadlift even higher than 425, Hit 5 reps on the inc. for 295, I am thinking i will play around with my hack squat as it is fairly weak and try to strengthen it, focus a little more on the shoulder press and shrugs in an attempt to improve my shoulders, and keep working hard on the legs in general.

Beach91
11-30-09, 10:55 am
For the next 2, possibly 3 weeks, I am deloading. What that means is, I am going back to basic bodybuilder type workouts of training each muscle group just once a week, in rep ranges between 10-20, using 50-60% of my normal weight load on the exercises. Kinda boring but it provides much needed rest and recovery after my last bulk cycle.

I also do daily cardio throughout the deload, several steady state session as well as 2 high intensity interval sessions during the week.

I will do this for 2 weeks, the 3 rd week I use to get back into the groove of training all bodyparts 2wice per week. As well during the deload, i try not to squat, Inc. Barbell Press or deadlift, thus taking a break from my three main lifts. I may do other forms of the movments, depending on how i feel.

No set routine is followed, other than training everything once each week and making sure all bodyparts are hit by the end of the week.

Beach91
11-30-09, 11:56 am
During the Deload, I also do a mini cut, of a 2-3 week time frame. I remove all supplements and stimulants, ie no creatine, no beta alanine, no caffeine. I am taking my calories to the 2200 calorie range. As soon as i begin my bulk phase, i will up the calories back to 3000 and see if i can get a little bit of a post diet rebound, combined with bringing the supplements and caffeine back on board to shock the training back in to high speed and help the bulk along.

My daily diet will look something like this

6 am - 5 grams BCAAs

6:30 - 1/2 cup slow cooked oats, 1 scoop whey protein, Animal Pak multi

8:30 - 5 grams BCAAs

10:30 - 4 ounces of chicken, 8 ounces of yams, 5 grams of fish oil

12:30 - 5 grams BCAAs

3:00 - 4 ounces of chicken, 8 ounces of yams, 5 grams of fish oil

4:30 5 grams of BCAAs at the start of the workout

5:30 - 10 grams BCAAs at the end of the workout

6:30-7 - 1/2 cup slow cooked oats, 1 scoop of whey

8:30-9:00 - 5 grams BCAA, then sleep

11 -midnight, whenever i get up to use the washroom - 1/2 cup slow cooked oats, 1 scoop whey

This is a 2-3 week phase, if i feel to tired or drained by weeks end, i may throw in an extra bowl of oats or some yams one of the days, but its only a two week diet, yep it sucks, but it shouldnt be that bad. These phases make me appreciate bulking, but also help to keep me within range of the outer stages of getting into contest diets, should i ever plan on competeing again. Its basically a form of responsible bulking, making gains, but limiting fat gains at the same time.

C.Coronato
12-01-09, 4:19 pm
Looking good bro! Lots of Aminos!!

Firedrake
12-01-09, 8:49 pm
Looks like a good plan! Make It Happen!

AZN-BEEF
12-02-09, 2:11 am
Looks like a good plan! Make It Happen!

X2

Beach91
12-02-09, 8:58 am
first day of deloading workouts, 50-60% max weights were used, fairly easy basic workout

Incl. Hammer Press 5 sets 10-15
Flat Hammer Press 4 sets 10-12
Inc. Dbell Fly 4 sets 10-12
Peck Deck 4 sets 10-15

Stepper 30 minutes of all out cardio fun

Firedrake
12-02-09, 2:01 pm
" . . . all out cardio fun" -- Nice. I can just SEE the smile on your face . . .

Good sets, too!

Beach91
12-03-09, 10:23 am
Last nite did a deload workout for my lats which included

Cable pulldowns 4 sets 15
Machine overhand rows 4 sets of 10-15
Assisted chinups 4 sets of 10-15
Seated cable rows 5 sets of 10-15

Lightweight Baby!!! Literally.

30 minutes on the elliptical, cardio sucks

Beach91
12-04-09, 9:37 am
Extensions 4 sets of 15
Hamstring Curls 4 sets of 15
Horizontal leg press 5 sets of 12
standing calf raises 4 sets of 15
hip abductor 3 sets of 15
Hip adductor 3 sets of 15
basic crunches 5 sets of 10
Planks 3 sets of 30 seconds

30 minutes of cardio on the bike

Northman
12-04-09, 9:16 pm
That's a deload?

t_mh
12-04-09, 9:56 pm
That's a deload?

He's probably doing really light weight, right beach?

How's the deload coming? They're a pain in the ass. You starting up again next week?

Firefist
12-04-09, 10:08 pm
That's a deload?

haha i hear stiff on that one, thats a fuckin good leg workout, just missin some squats, and thats killer.

Beach91
12-07-09, 9:02 am
Yeah guys, its really really lightweight, about 50% or less of what i am used to doing on the exercises. NO supplements or stims for the next few weeks either, except for pak and whey protein. I usually do a 6-10 week bulk cycle, followed by 2-3 weeks of diet and deload.

Shoulders
shoulder press machine 3 sets of 10-15
lateral raise 4 sets 12-15
reverse pec deck 4 - 15 reps
shrug dumbells 4 sets 10-12

Dbell curls 5 sets of 10-12
Preacher cable curl 5 sets of 10-15
Hammer curls 3 sets of 15

Cable pressdown 5 sets of 10-15
Dip Pressdown machine 5 sets of 10-15
Preacher Skullcrusher hammer machine 5 sets of 10-15

Stepper - 30 minutes

Beach91
12-07-09, 9:06 am
Saturday - 20 min HIT cardio on the elliptical, totally bled sweat, found the intervals really tough, i kinda thought great, now cardio is even more fun

Sunday

1 arm Incline Hammer Press 6 sets of 10-15
Flat Press 5 sets of 10-15
Cable Crossovers 5 sets of 10-15
Dumbell Press 4 sets of 15

Stepper 15 minutes
Bike 20 minutes.

Slowly increasing the weight this week, getting back into the heavier lifting that will come next weekend.

t_mh
12-08-09, 12:15 am
Looks good. HIIT is sweet.

Firedrake
12-08-09, 2:13 am
Enjoy the deload -- you're still putting in work, I see -- good solid work to keep the body going!

Beach91
12-08-09, 10:00 am
More deload work

Leg Press Horizontal 5 sets of 20
Hack Squat 3 sets of 10
Leg Press Vertical 5 sets of 15
Ham curls 5 sets 15
hip abductor 3 sets of 15
hip adductor 3 sets of 15
calf raises seated 4 sets of 15

slightly more wt. used than last week, but still very light weight.

Beach91
12-08-09, 10:01 am
forgot to add 30 minutes of Cardio

Going for PRs in the amount of cardio done, just kidding

it sucks though, it really does

Firedrake
12-08-09, 4:31 pm
Yeah, but it can do a good job for you. At one point in February I was doing two hours a day, and an three hours a day on weekends.

Make your joints and connective tissues happy -- cardio gets blood to -them-, too.

Max-Angle
12-08-09, 4:41 pm
Nice job on the Ham Curls man, and keep up the good work with cardio, if i can suggest a high calorie burning cardio excersise, step aerobics, get the sturdious highest chair you have and go up and down on that for at least 30 mins and you'll burn in the high hundreds

Beach91
12-08-09, 4:47 pm
Touche, you are correct on that one Firedrake, at different times I have done 2 hrs a day, and although its killer on the body, i always felt tired, but felt very healthy at the same time. The joints and connective tissues are happier withthe increased bloodflow as is the relief from lactic acid buildup. good call.
I still hate doing it though.

Beach91
12-09-09, 9:02 am
Cable row 5 sets 12-15
Machine overhand row 4 sets of 12
Cable Pulldown 5 sets of 12-15
good Mornings 4 sets of 12

Machine shoulder press 5 sets of 12-15
bent over laterals 4 sets of 12-15
seated lateral 4 sets of 10-15
front raise 4 sets of 15
shrugs 3 sets of 12

little more weight used than last week, but not by much

Stepper 30 minutes

Beach91
12-10-09, 10:30 am
Preacher curls 5 sets of 12
Dumbell Curls 6 sets of 10-15
Rev. barbell curls 5 sets of 10

Tricep Skullcrusher preacher machine 5 sets of 15
close grip presses 5 sets of 10-12
Pressdowns in reverse 6 sets of 10-15

machine crunches 6 sets of 10-12

bike 30 minutes

Beach91
12-10-09, 10:31 am
20 min on the elliptical high intensity intervals

in and done.

Deload ends today. tomorrows a rest day.

Saturday starts the next bulk cycle, bout time

nuff said

Beach91
12-10-09, 1:31 pm
Starting Saturday, I am going to up my cals. based on the start of a new bulk cycle.

the total caloric daily intake is around 3000 calories, rooughly 340 above maintenance, which I plan on increasing a week or 2 in so that I am at least 500 cals above maintenance.

My daily diet will look pretty much like this

5:30 am - 5 grams BCAAs, 4 ounces yams

6:30 a.m. - 1/2 cup steel cup oats, 1 scoop whey protein, 1 tbsp natural peanut butter

9 a.m. - 4 ounces yams, 5 grams BCAAs

11 a.m. - 4 ounces chicken, 8 ounces of yams, 5 grams of fish oil

1 p.m. - 4 ounces of yams, 5 grams of BCAAs

3:30 - 4 ounces of chicken, 8 ounces of yams, 5 grams of fish oil, 1 whole can of green beans

4:30 preworkout - 5 grams bCAAS

6:30-7 post workout - 10 grams BCAAs, 8 ounces of red potatoe

7:30- 1/2 cup steel cut oats, 1 scoop whey protein powder, 1/2 cup 1% milk

9:30 - 4 ounce yams, 5 grams BCAAs

11;30 or later - 1/2 cup steel cut oats, 1 scoop whey , 1 tbsp of natty peanut butter

thats a days meals for me, in a week or 2 calories will increase as I add dextrose in postworkout, maybe another spoon of peanut butter, as well as other supplements such as creatine/betalanine , citrulline will be added back in, and some caffeine as well, havent had caffeine in 2 weeks kinda missing that little kick it gives preworkout.
And with Christmas coming, I am not saying no to 2nds
and 3rds

Beach91
12-14-09, 8:58 am
For a change decided to do add heavy Back work to the beginning of the workout, as doing heavy deads leads to working the hamstrings, so I plan on working hamstrings first leading into using predominantly quad exercises near the end of my workout.

Deadlifts 1 set of 8, 6 sets of 5 reps

Lat pulldowns 4 sets of 8-10
Stiff Leg Deadlift 4 sets 8-10
Walking Lunges 5 sets of 8-10
Hack Squats, 1 set of 10, 1 set of 8, 4 sets of 5, I stop for a second while in the bucket, hold, then fire the weight up, i find a better feeling in my quads this way
1 leg horizontal press 5 sets of 8-10
Isometric Wall Squats 3 sets of 1 min and a half
Calf Raises 5 sets of 20
Abductor 3 sets of 10
Adductor 3 sets of 10
Cable Crunches 10 sets of 10-15

Beach91
12-14-09, 9:04 am
Incline Bench Pres 1 set of 10, 5 sets of 5
Incline Dumbell Press 4 sets of 10
Peck Deck Flys 2 sets of 8

Smith Shoulder Press 5 sets of 6-8
Lat Raises 2 sets of 8
Shrugs 3 sets of 10

Barbell Curls 1 set of 10, 3 sets of 6-8
Hammer Curls 3 sets of 8
Pressdowns 1 set of 10, 3 sets of 8

Beach91
12-15-09, 8:58 am
20 min HIT cardio, the gym and the weathers super cold out here, and the lungs just burn when doing the intervals, feels good to get it in and done though.

Then watched the Niners kill the cardinals, I m a niners fan just hoping A. Smith can someday show why we drafted him so high, But Gore n the D as well as Davis n Crabtree have got my hopes up, albeit for next year

Northman
12-15-09, 10:01 am
You do waaay to much cardio!

Keep uping the kcals. It looks like you might be burning them all off.

Beach91
12-15-09, 2:10 pm
Hey Stiff, back to bulking now, so cardio only 1-2 times a week, yep its still too much but lets me eat more and make quality gains, but i will keep upping the calories, maybe not the 6000 u take in everyday, but i will slowly get them up there.

Just read your entry for Project Z, hope u get in there, as well, I hope u get some rest, only 4 hrs a nite must be tough bro.

Northman
12-16-09, 12:39 am
Hey Stiff, back to bulking now, so cardio only 1-2 times a week, yep its still too much but lets me eat more and make quality gains, but i will keep upping the calories, maybe not the 6000 u take in everyday, but i will slowly get them up there.

Just read your entry for Project Z, hope u get in there, as well, I hope u get some rest, only 4 hrs a nite must be tough bro.

Haha! It can be. Some might think I get more rest on my days off... not true. That's when I get to play with my daughter. I think 6000 is appropriate for my bw. I'm a little heavier than you.

AZN-BEEF
12-16-09, 12:53 am
solid work in here brother!

btw whats the temperature up there?

Beach91
12-16-09, 9:02 am
Hey AZN little warmer here today, only 20 below zero.

Cable row 6 sets of 10-15
1 arm dbell rows 5 sets of 10-15
Barbell Underhand Grip Dorian Rows 5 sets of 10-15
Standing Lat Pulldown 4 sets of 15-25
Lat Pulldown FST - 7 style 7 sets of 8-12 reps

Behind the Neck Press 5 sets of 10-15
Rev. Dumbell Laterals 5 sets of 10-15
Dumbell Shrugs 4 sets of 15-20
Front Raise/Side Dumbell Lateral combo exercise 5 sets of 12-20

No preworkout supps, no caffeine, no creatine, just food/pak and omegas and still had a great pump during the workout, turn up the volume

Beach91
12-17-09, 9:18 am
Hamstring Curl 5 sets 15-20
Rev. Hack Stiff legged Deads (Dennis Wolf was doing these in MD a few months back)
4 sets 10-12
GHR 5 sets 10-12
Extensions 5 sets of 15-20
Front Squat 6 of 10-15
Vertical leg press 5 sets of 25-30 very very painful
Calves 5 sets of 30s
Seated calf raise 3 sets of 20
superset hip abductor/adductor 4 sets each 15-20

Decline Leg raises 5 sets of 15
Ball Crunches 5 sets of 10-15
Planks 4 sets of 45 seconds

Beach91
12-18-09, 8:51 am
Bench press 6 sets of 10-15
Inc Fly 6 sets of 10-15
Flat Fly 4 sets of 10-12
1 arm Inc. Hammer Presses 6 sets of 10-15

Cable conc. curl 4 sets of 10-12
Preacher curls 6 sets of 10-15

Superset - Seated alt dbell curls with Overhead dumbell extensions - 6 sets of each 10-15 reps

dips 4 sets of 8-10
skullcrushers 5 sets of 10-15
Kickbacks 6 sets of 10-15

Very very good workout, short rest periods between sets, great pump, not much more to say or ask for.

Northman
12-18-09, 9:30 am
In your first three exercises you performed more sets than I do in the average workout. In the first two exercises you did more reps than I do in the average workout.

Beach91
12-18-09, 11:01 am
Hahaha, thanks Stiff for checkin into the log, I have tried shorter workouts and volume before, I just cant get into and find it doesnt work that well for me, the results just dont seem to come. The more i do, the stronger i get and i progress at a better rate with the higher volume, although it is very time consuming

What works for one, doesnt always work for another, Youve found what works for ya, and i believe i found what works for me. Although, i get a good 8-10 hrs sleep every nite, i still cant believe u only get 4 hours, i feel sorry for ya

Northman
12-18-09, 11:14 am
Hahaha, thanks Stiff for checkin into the log, I have tried shorter workouts and volume before, I just cant get into and find it doesnt work that well for me, the results just dont seem to come. The more i do, the stronger i get and i progress at a better rate with the higher volume, although it is very time consuming

What works for one, doesnt always work for another, Youve found what works for ya, and i believe i found what works for me. Although, i get a good 8-10 hrs sleep every nite, i still cant believe u only get 4 hours, i feel sorry for ya

That might be why I need to perform fewer reps. I used to be a volume monster, but stalled for a year. You are right, everyone needs to find what works for them.

Beach91
12-21-09, 9:04 am
Deadlifts 1 set of 10 reps
6 sets of 5-6 reps

Tbar rows 2 sets of 8-10
Pulldowns 3 sets of 8-10
Ham Curls 3 sets of 9-12, having a tonne of fun so far pairing back with hamstrings n legs
Walking Lunges 5 sets of 15, 12, 12, 10, 8
Hack Squats 1 set of 10, 4 sets of 5
Iso Wall Squats 5 sets of 1 min to 1 minute 20, kinda cool to see those legs shake
Seated Calf raise 5 sets of 8-15
Standing Reverse (facing away from the weight stack) calf raise 4 sets of 10-12

Weight knee ins combined with cable crunches while lying down 5 sets 12-15
Normal weighted cable crunches 5 sets 10-15

There goes 2 hrs. 2 days later my back is still sore in a good way from deads, really having fun doing back and hamstrings first on leg power day instead of always opening with quads. change is good

Beach91
12-21-09, 9:14 am
Inc. Bench 1 set of 10 reps, 4 sets of 5
Flat Hammer Press 4 sets of 8, 8, 7, 5
smith Shoulder Press 5 sets of 5-8
Laterals 3 sets of 8-10
Barbell Shrugs 2 sets of 8-10
Barbell curl 10, 8, 6, 6
hammer curls 2 sets of 10, 8
Pressdowns 4 sets of 8-10
OH cable extensions 2 sets of 8-10

Weight is slowly increasing on all movements, i began supplementing with creatine/beta alanine/ citrulline/ ALA and dextrose again and I can feel improved recovery between sets and more endurance during a set. Very good weekend of training

Beach91
12-21-09, 9:29 am
Starting Saturday, I upped my calories again, to just over 3200 a day, probably a bit higher as i have been super liberal with the amount of peanut butter I am eating.

I added in dextrose post workout as well as alpha Lipoic acid, creatine, beta alanine and citrulline. I still havent added caffeine back into my supplement regimen, and am not sure if i will. This is the 3rd week i have gone without any caffeine. None. I have never drank coffee or tea, and have only used caffeine as a preworkout stim. I find in cycling it, my body gets very dependent on it, the first 2 days without caffeine were hell, my head hada jackhammer going off inside of it. After that though i ve felt pretty good, my sleeps are a bit better, and my energy levels from BCAAs, Beta alanine and citrulline seem to be more even flowed. I have noticed in the past 2 workouts alone, just by adding beta alanine, citrulline and creatine back into my regimen, better endurance during a set, and better recovery between workouts.

My daily diet will look pretty much like this

5:30 am - 5 grams BCAAs, 4 ounces yams

6:30 a.m. - 1/2 cup steel cup oats, 1 scoop whey protein, 1 tbsp natural peanut butter

9 a.m. - 4 ounces yams, 5 grams BCAAs

11 a.m. - 4 ounces chicken, 8 ounces of yams, 5 grams of fish oil

1 p.m. - 4 ounces of yams, 5 grams of BCAAs

3:30 - 4 ounces of chicken, 8 ounces of yams, 5 grams of fish oil, 1 whole can of green beans

4:30 preworkout - 5 grams bCAAS, 1 g citrulline, 3 g beta alanine, 2.5 g creatine

6:30-7 post workout - 10 grams BCAAs, 8 ounces of red potatoe, 30 g dextrose, 300 mg ALA, 2.5 g creatine

7:30- 1/2 cup steel cut oats, 1 scoop whey protein powder, 1/2 cup 1% milk

9:30 - 4 ounce yams, 5 grams BCAAs

11;30 or later - 1/2 cup steel cut oats, 1 scoop whey , 1 tbsp of natty peanut butter

Again this is the base i follow which is about 3200 cals, but i probably take in close to 3500, i sometimes cant stop at one spoon of peanut butter, no worries though its all good a few extra cals never hurt anyone.

Especially this coming week, with Christmas coming I have some cheat meals comin which is great, I have been strict for an entire month building up to Christmas, the last few years i have usually been dieting over Christmas, this time I am going to enjoy it, in moderation, but still enjoy it

Beach91
12-22-09, 10:26 am
20 min HIT cardio done yesterday.

Beach91
12-23-09, 9:05 am
Bent over underhand Dorian Rows 5 sets of 10-15
Tbar rows 5 sets of 10-15
Cable rows 5 sets of 10-15
1 arm rows 6 sets of 10-15
Behind the neck pulldown 3 sets of 12-15
Behind the neck presses 5 sets of 10-12
reverse laterals 5 sets of 10-15
Arnold press 5 sets of 8-15
Wide grip upright row 3 sets of 12
Shrugs 3 sets of 10-15

Standing Lat Cable pulldowns 7 sets of 10-15, FST 7 style

t_mh
12-23-09, 10:52 pm
Very good training as always.

Diet looks good. Sorta a maintenance diet? Trying to slowly bulk?

Beach91
12-24-09, 8:47 am
Slowly bulk, I tend to cycle my entire bulk period with 6-10 weeks of predominantly clean bulking, usually in a calorie range of 3-3500 cals, which is roughly 5-800 cals above maintenance. Doing it this way, the weight gain is slower but more quality mass is put. I see alot of guys go all out and hammer tonnes of cals. which works great at first but after a few weeks they simply put on too much fat. My bodybuilding stage weight is around the 165-170 range, I am looking at getting up to 174-175 stage weight so i can be competitive in light middles. Right now I am about 204 lbs, so i dont need to get too much heavier.

I did a large calorie bulk the last offseason, with very little cardio, the strength gains were amazing, but then to diet all of that off, a lot of the gains were lost. A responsible off season is just as productive and it will make the diet easier, as well as retaining the gains from it.

Beach91
12-24-09, 8:50 am
2 hr workout here we go

Hamstring curls 4 sets of 20
SLDL 5 sets of 15 12 10 10 8
GHRs 6 sets of 10-12
Leg Ext 5 sets of 18-20
Front Squats 6 sets of 15, 15, 13, 10, 10, 8
Leg Press 6 sets of 30, weight increased every set, some rest pause was used to get all the reps in on every set

Hip Abductor/Adductor supersets 3 sets of 20 done non stop start to finish

Hamstring Curl 21s for 4 sets

Beach91
12-29-09, 9:03 am
Inc Dumbell Press 5 sets of 8-15
Flat Bench press 5 sets of 10-15
Inc Fly 6 sets of 10-15
Pec deck 6 sets of 12-15

Preacher curls 6 sets of 10-15
conc. Cable Curls 3 sets of 10-12
Seated Dumbell curls superset with Triangle Tricep Pushups, 6 sets of each, 10-12 reps for the curls, 10-25 for the pushups

OH cable extension 5 sets of 10-15
Machine Pressdowns 6 sets of 10-15
1 arm overhead dumbell extension 5 sets of 10-12

Beach91
12-29-09, 9:07 am
Deads 1 set 10reps, 4 sets of 5 reps, 1 set of 4 reps, finishing off with 1 set of 2 reps

Stiff leg deads 4 sets of 6-8
Cable Lat pulldowns 3 sets of 8-10
Hamstring curls 4 sets of 8-10

Walking LUnges 4 sets 10, 8, 6, 6 reps

hack squats 1 set 8 reps, 4 sets of 3-5

1 Leg Press 4 sets of 8-10
Calf raises 5 sets of 6-10 reps
Seated Calf Raise 4 sets of 10

Isometric Squats against the wall 3 sets 1min 20, 1 min and 40 seconds on the last one

Beach91
12-29-09, 9:09 am
Inc Bench Press 1 set of 10, 4 sets of 5 reps
Pec Deck 3 sets of 7-8
Cable Row 3 sets of 5-8
Shoulder Press 1 set of 6-8, 4 sets of 5
Laterals 3 sets of 6-8
Shrugs 3 sets of 6-10
Barbell curls 1 set of 10, 3 sets of 6
Hammer curls 2 sets of 6-8
Pressdowns 3 sets of 8-10
OH extensions 3 sets of 8-10

Beach91
12-29-09, 9:10 am
Cable crunches 6 sets of 10-20
Leg raises 3 sets of 10-15

HIT Elliptical cardio 20 min

Max-Angle
12-29-09, 11:29 pm
Nice workouts man, keep up the great work

Beach91
12-30-09, 9:13 am
Cable rows 15, 15, 12, 10, 8, 9
1 arm rows 5 sets of 10-15
Seated overhand grip machine rows 5 sets of 10-15
Underhand grip pulldown 5 sets of 10-12

Rev. Dumbell Lateral 15, 12, 10, 10, 9
Behind the nec machine press 5 sets of 8-12
Dumbell shrugs 4 sets of 15-20
Combo exercise of lat raises/front raises 4 sets of 16-20 reps
Arnold press 3 sets of 10-12

Standing Lat cable pulldowns FST7 sets of 10-15 reps

Beach91
12-31-09, 9:37 am
Legs are gaining size, most of my jeans are fitting differently these days, getting tighter, good sign, gone to even higher reps during my hypertrophy workouts and kept hammering them heavy with low reps on the weekends, as well as mixing up exercise selection.

Yesterday, legs went like this

Hamstring Curls 4 sets of 20-30
SLDL 5 sets of 15, 12, 10, 10, 8 done very slowly increasing wt. throughout the sets
GHR 5 sets of 8-12
Leg Ext 5 sets of 15-25, done very slow as well
Front Squats 6 sets of 10-15, the pre exhaust with leg ext. first gives me a better feeling/pump during the other exercises like leg press n squats, although the amount of weight is lighter

Leg presses 6 sets of 30
Standing calf raise 5 sets of 30 reps

Hip Abductor 5 sets of slow 15 reps
Hip adductor 5 sets of slow 15 reps

very very sore today

Beach91
01-04-10, 9:18 am
took the rep ranges a bit higher to differentiate the workouts from my Power workout weekend sessions and had a great pump and very good workout

Inc Flys 6 sets of 12-20
Inc Benc 6 sets of 10-15
Flat Bench 4 sets of 10-12
Flat Fly 5 sets of 12-20

Dbell Curls 5 sets of 10-15
Rack Run drop sets 4 sets of 6-10 on the first run, 5 sets of 4-8 on the second run

spider curls 4 sets of 10-15

Hammers curls superset with Overhead Dumbell Extensions 6 sets of each 10-15 reps for each

Skullcrushers 6 setsof 10-15
Close grip presses 2 sets of 10-12
Underhand grip pulldown with cable 3 sets of 12
Kickbacks 3 sets of 15, 12, 10
Dips 3 sets of 10-20

Beach91
01-04-10, 9:21 am
Deads 1 for 12 reps warmup
3 sets of 5
1 set of 4
1 more set of 5

Ham Curls 4 sets of 10, 8, 8, 6

Walking Lunge 10, 10, 8, 8

Hack Squat 1 set of 8, 4 sets of 5 reps, 1 set of 3 reps

Wall Iso Squats 3 sets of 1.5 minutes

Seated calf raises 4 sets of 8
Standing reverse calf raise 5 sets of 10

Leg raises 5 sets of 10-15
Crunches 5 set of 8-15
Planks 3 sets of 1 min.

I have to start workingand strengthening the core more, my abs really burn while deadlifting, i think they are the weak link on my deads in keeping my form tight, so if i strengthen them, my deads will go up more

Beach91
01-04-10, 9:24 am
Incl. Bench 1 set of 10
4 sets of 5
1 set of 4

Cable Rows 1 set of 8
4 sets of 5
1 sets of 3

Shoulder press 1 set of 8, 4 sets of 5, 1 set of 3

Laterals 3 sets of 6-8 reps

Shrugs 2 sets of 8

Barbell curls 5 sets of 6-8
OH Extensions 3 sets of 8

Max-Angle
01-04-10, 5:17 pm
whats your dead weight?

Beach91
01-04-10, 5:43 pm
Hey Max on my Deads I worked up to 415 which is ok, but i have done in the 500s years ago, but my current max is around the 415-430 mark for 5 reps

Firedrake
01-04-10, 6:16 pm
Deads 1 for 12 reps warmup
3 sets of 5
1 set of 4
1 more set of 5

Ham Curls 4 sets of 10, 8, 8, 6

Walking Lunge 10, 10, 8, 8

Hack Squat 1 set of 8, 4 sets of 5 reps, 1 set of 3 reps

Wall Iso Squats 3 sets of 1.5 minutes

Seated calf raises 4 sets of 8
Standing reverse calf raise 5 sets of 10

Leg raises 5 sets of 10-15
Crunches 5 set of 8-15
Planks 3 sets of 1 min.

I have to start workingand strengthening the core more, my abs really burn while deadlifting, i think they are the weak link on my deads in keeping my form tight, so if i strengthen them, my deads will go up more

Probably -- but you're definitely putting in some solid work!

Incl. Bench 1 set of 10
4 sets of 5
1 set of 4

Cable Rows 1 set of 8
4 sets of 5
1 sets of 3

Shoulder press 1 set of 8, 4 sets of 5, 1 set of 3

Laterals 3 sets of 6-8 reps

Shrugs 2 sets of 8

Barbell curls 5 sets of 6-8
OH Extensions 3 sets of 8

More good work -- definitely on the grow, bro!

Beach91
01-05-10, 9:07 am
Thanks for the good words guys, in keeping with my core New years resolution,
I did 20 min of Hell HIT cardio yesterday and

5 sets of ball crunches 10-15 reps
5 sets of ball planks 40 seconds
4 sets of decline crunches 10-20
3 sets of hyperextensions 10-12 reps

Firedrake
01-05-10, 9:38 am
NICE! That'll tighten up that core . . .

Beach91
01-06-10, 8:59 am
Very very sore this morning, i feel like i could use another 8 hrs of sleep, anyhow

Underhand grip pulldowns 6 sets 20, 15, 15, 12, 12, 10
1 Arm Rows 20, 15, 15, 12, 10
Underhand Dorian Grip Barbell rows 5 sets of 10-12
Machine rows 5 sets of 10-15
Parallel Grip chinups 3 sets of 10-12, 1 sec stretch atthe bottom of each rep

Behind the neck press 4 sets of 10-15
Rev. Lat raise 5 sets of 10-15
Arnold presses 4 sets of 10-15
Cable laterals 4 sets of 10-15
Dumbell shrugs 4 sets of 12-15

Cable Row Seated FST 7 style for rep range of 10-12

Firefist
01-06-10, 9:46 am
fst-7 ftw! killer workout!

Beach91
01-07-10, 9:10 am
Hamstring curls 6 sets 30, 30, 25, 15, 15, 15
GHR 5 sets 10-12
Jefferson deads 4 sets 12
leg ext 4 sets of 20-30

front squats, these went shitty, 5 sets 8-12, it seems the more wt. i use on this exercise the better my form is, but then i cant hit the amt. of reps i want, i was aiming for 15 reps on every set, my cardio/conditioning is decent but i guess has to be improved to hit more reps during the set

leg press 6 sets 30

Hip abductor 3 sets of 15
hip adductor 3 sets 15
calf raises 5 sets 15-25

Max-Angle
01-07-10, 4:53 pm
Nice job man, we all will get there in time, keep it up

C.Coronato
01-07-10, 4:57 pm
Looking good my brother, any shows on the horizon?

Beach91
01-07-10, 5:20 pm
Hey TTL, no shows this coming year, there was talk of the canadian world qualifiers being held in my city, Winnipeg, which i was thinking of doing, but they have decided to have it in another province. The show qualifies you to do the Arnold Amateur, they had it in Winnipeg 2 yrs ago and i placed 3rd in welters. After my last set of shows 2 yrs ago, my offseason wasnt going that well, so i overhauled my diet plan basically by increasing the amount of carbs i take in while decreasing the calories i consume from protein. I also bulk for shorter periods of times followed by short cuts, while keeping my training more cyclical as well.

to make a super long story short, i think i am finally making some gains and will continue this way for the coming year, i have a goal in mind to compete in 2011 either right at the top of welters or most likely in light middles in the middle of that class. I hope Winnipeg hosts the qualifiers in 2011 but either way, 2011 is the goal in mind to compete again.

Till then i will just live vicariously through everyone else

Beach91
01-08-10, 9:21 am
Super fun day

Inc dumbell press 15, 15, 12, 10, 10
Inc FLy 20, 16, 12, 10, 10
Flat bench 15, 12 ,10, 9
pec deck 3 sets of 15

Barbell 21s 3 sets
dbell curls 5 sets of 10-12
hammer curls 5 sets 15, 12, 10, 10, 9
preacher curls superset with Triangle Tricep pushups 3 sets of each 15 reps for each
skullcrushers 5 sets 10-15
overhead dumbell exte. 4 sets of 10-12
dips 3 sets of 15-20
kickback 5 sets of 15 15 12 10 10

Rested only about 30-45 sec. between sets, the pace was quicker, workout was intense and the pump was insane, i used a little bit lighter weight than i am used to, but since i go heavy on the weekend thats ok, and my form was tight. Fun stuff

Beach91
01-11-10, 9:17 am
20 min HIT elliptical
3 sets basic crunches 15 reps
3 sets cable crunches 10-12 reps
2 sets of leg raises 15 reps
2 sets of hip thrust on decline bench 15 reps

Beach91
01-11-10, 9:19 am
Deads 1 set of 12
4 sets of 5, last set I did 425 and did it easily
final set of 1 rep, pulled 465 for 1, thought i would get more than 1 rep though

SLDL 4 sets of 6-8
Ham curls 3 sets 7-10
Hack squats 5 sets of 5, 1 set of 3, weights went up on this exercise
Barbell lunges 5 sets of 10
Seated calf raises 3 sets of 12-15
Standing reverse calf raise (facing away from the stack) 5 sets of 10

Beach91
01-11-10, 9:22 am
Incline bench press 1 set of 10 reps, 5 sets of 5, Did 285 by 5 on the last set, very happy with that

Cable Row 4 sets of 5 , 1 set of 3
Lat pulldowns 2 sets of 8

Shoulder press 1 set of 8, 3 sets of 5, 1 set of 3 reps
Barbell Shrugs 3 sets of 8-10
Laterals 2 sets of 8

Barbell Curls 4 sets of 6-8
Pressdowns 4 sets of 6-10
Overhead cable extension 2 sets of 8

Beach91
01-11-10, 9:44 am
Just thought i would chime in, my major lifts have all gone up this past weekend, havent checked my weight in a whille, so hopped on the scale and my current weight is 208 lbs my ab lines are still visible too, although there is some extra ham on my lower back area

AZN-BEEF
01-12-10, 12:23 am
Very nice gains! And STRONG inclines brother

DBOY
01-12-10, 12:39 am
Great work being done here as always my brotha....208 damn, your a beast!!!

Beach91
01-12-10, 9:13 am
Thanks DBOY and AZN, just stayin consistent with the food and the work, and good things happen.

Cardio and ABS yesterday, totally soaked my iconic t

20 min HIT on the bike

4 sets of praying crunches 8-15 reps
4 sets of lower ab leg ins 10-15 reps
side plank holds 2 sets per side 40 seconds
bridges 3 sets of 1 min
with Vacuums done between sets

Beach91
01-13-10, 9:07 am
Cable row 5 sets 15 15 12 10 10
1 Arm Row 4 sets 15 15 12 10
Machine Row 5 sets of 10-15, used an explosive rep cadence on these to get a different feel in the lats

Underhand grip dorian row 5 sets 15 12 12 10 10, used a 2 second hold at the contracted part of the rep, reps done very slow totally opposite of how i did the machine rows, really felt good/painful for my back

Behind neck pulldown 3 sets of 15

Dumbell laterals 5 sets of 10-15
Dirty Dozen exercise 5 sets of 12s
Dumbell Press 4 sets of 12-15
Shrug 3 sets of 12-15
Rev. Pec Deck 3 sets of 15

Standing Lat Pulldown FST 7 sets 10-15 reps

Beach91
01-14-10, 9:14 am
GHR 6 sets 15 12 10 10 10 8
Ham curls 5 sets of 21s
Front Squats 6 sets of 10-15
Leg presses 5 sets of 30
calf raises 5 sets of 30s

Beach91
01-14-10, 9:57 am
GNR opened their latest chinese democracy tour in Winnipeg last nite and i went to see it.

Simply amazing show! They played for 3 hours, 35 songs, almost all of the appetite album, almost all of chinese democracy, Patience off of GNR lies, and a the hits from the Use your Illusions albums.

Huge GNR fan, never seen them live and i didnt really care to, i had a preconceived notion that Axls voice wouldnt carry over live that well as i have seen them live in tv specials and he just couldnt hit the notes.

Man, i couldnt have been more wrong. He hammered all the notes and hit it outta the park. The band behind him was supertight too, very little errors.

the only lull or drag in the show for people was the chinese democracy songs, not many knew the songs and the crowd was definitely quiter during them. Its too bad, the Chinese Democracy, for those open minded enuff to give it a listen, is a decent album. I am not sure that Axl should have called it a Guns n roses record, maybe renamed it. Whereas most guns fans want straight ahead rock, Axl's chinese democracy runs through several musical styles while not committing to any.

In terms of the concert though, tonnes of pyro, bombs, confetti, affects, the band was tight, Axls voice was lights out-best ive heard in a Winnipeg concert setting, and they played for 3 hours.

the tickets for the show i had received for Christmas, one of the best gifts ever.

Now if I coulda just received tickets to columbus for the cage, my gifts received this year woulda been the best ever, even beating the Christmas when i was 4 and received both He-man and Skeletor.

anyhow, thats the reason my leg workout was a little shorter than usual. but after bein on my feet all night, after training legs, Coreys killer tired this mornin

Oh yeah, if u get the chance, go see GNR, its worth it

Firedrake
01-14-10, 5:12 pm
I saw early GNR live, and will never forget it -- I still have some of their older stuff on my gym playlist.

So, come to the Cage, anyway ("Arnold Festival? What's that? I'm going to the Animal CAGE!")

Beach91
01-14-10, 5:32 pm
That must have been amazing Jim, to see any band when its young early, and on their way up, thats when they have a raw feel to them and are alive!!!!!! If i had a time machine i would definitely check out the Guns, motley crue, zeppelin, the stones, the beatles etc etc etc. i could go on for years.

I wish i could make the cage but i cant afford it, However, if the Socal crew makes it to vegas again this year i might be seeing you, my girlfriend is looking at buying Us tickets there for olympia weekend as part of a christmas gift . i am crossing fingers hard that it works out

Beach91
01-15-10, 9:13 am
Very tired from the GNR concert the nite before, this workout had a good pump/feel to it but the amount of weight used was very subpar/below avg.

Bench press 5 sets 15 15 12 10 10
dumbell flat flys 5 sets of 12-15
Incline Press and Incline Fly combo exercise done together, 6 sets of 12-20 total reps

Preacher curls 5 sets 12-15
Dumbell curls 4 sets 10-12
Hammers 4 sets of 12

Decl. Skullcrushers 5 sets of 10-15
Dip Machine pressdowns 4 sets of 10-15
Overhead dbell extensions 4 sets of 10-15
Parallel grip cable pressdowns 4 sets of 10-12

Beach91
01-17-10, 10:14 am
Friday Night - HIT cardio 20 min of hell
Decline Leg raises 5 sets 10-15
Woodchopper oblique crunches 3 sets of 8-12
Laying crunches 4 sets of 12-15

Saturday Leg power session
Deadlifts 4 sets of 5, went up in weight again this week, hit 450 for 5 reps, 4 reps very good form, the last rep could have been better

SLDL 4 sets of 5-6

Hack Squats 3 sets of 5 reps, 3 sets of 3 reps

1 leg horizontal press 4 sets of 8 reps

Barbell Lunges 4 sets of 8 reps

Reverse stand. calf raise 4 sets of 8-10

Hip abductor 3 sets 12, 10, 8

Hip adductors 3 sets 15, 10, 8

Done and done, my deads are getting better and better, everything is going well except my hack squats are getting a bit stagnant

t_mh
01-17-10, 3:28 pm
Friday Night - HIT cardio 20 min of hell
Decline Leg raises 5 sets 10-15
Woodchopper oblique crunches 3 sets of 8-12
Laying crunches 4 sets of 12-15

Saturday Leg power session
Deadlifts 4 sets of 5, went up in weight again this week, hit 450 for 5 reps, 4 reps very good form, the last rep could have been better

SLDL 4 sets of 5-6

Hack Squats 3 sets of 5 reps, 3 sets of 3 reps

1 leg horizontal press 4 sets of 8 reps

Barbell Lunges 4 sets of 8 reps

Reverse stand. calf raise 4 sets of 8-10

Hip abductor 3 sets 12, 10, 8

Hip adductors 3 sets 15, 10, 8

Done and done, my deads are getting better and better, everything is going well except my hack squats are getting a bit stagnant

450x5 is awesome, man. Very nice work.

Beach91
01-17-10, 11:45 pm
I am outta town at the moment so i had to hitup a dingy Ol gym today, my upper power workout was a little different,

Incline flys 1 set of 10, 4 sets of 8
Flat Hammer Press 4 sets of 5
Cable Row 4 sets of 5
Behind the neck shoulder machine press 5 sets of 6-8
lateral raises 4 sets of 6
Shrugs 3 sets of 10
cambered bar curl 4 sets of 5-6 reps
Hammer curls 3 sets of 8
cable pressdowns 4 sets of 8-10
dips 3 sets of 8-10

change is good, the workout was painful and exhausting but different and fun

Max-Angle
01-18-10, 12:13 am
Nice always good for a change man, do you do BW dips or weighted? I always powerclean a sack with whatever weight plates i want onto my shoulders and hold it on my stomach and just do dips on my stairs using a laundry basket for my feet

Beach91
01-19-10, 3:23 pm
I do both Max, most of the time weighted, either with a belt or the weights being placed on my lap

Firedrake
01-19-10, 3:30 pm
Painful and exhausting is good. Sometimes dingy ol' gyms can be just what the trainer ordered.

Great stuff!