PDA

View Full Version : Protein Shake Question

Gio71
10-05-09, 5:58 pm
Is it the same to buy a protein shake and put quick oats in it, instead of a weight gainer?..
I think its the same or im wrong?

krazyassmexican
10-05-09, 6:02 pm
no is not the same, if you use oatmeal with your protein and add a few fats you will get a weight gainer with complex carbs, opposed to most of gainers out there filled with sugars or maltodextrin (i dont believe maltodextrin is a complex carb no matter what about 5 guys are gonna try to argue with me)

Gio71
10-05-09, 6:05 pm
Is it the same to buy a protein shake and put quick oats in it, instead of a weight gainer?..
I think its the same or im wrong?

so protein,oatmeal and maybe peanut butter for the fats, then its like a weight gainer? i know much sugars on the weight gainers thats why i want to buy next time protein and add carbs and pb then..

krazyassmexican
10-05-09, 6:12 pm
so protein,oatmeal and maybe peanut butter for the fats, then its like a weight gainer? i know much sugars on the weight gainers thats why i want to buy next time protein and add carbs and pb then..

i would do 64grams of pb and around 50grams protein and 50grams of carbs comming from oatmeal

violator
10-06-09, 5:53 am
the best weight gainer out there bro....oats n protien...
for a tip, buy urself a coffee grinder & grind the oats in it till theyre dust...then just mix with the shake....goes down soooooo easy it should be outlawed...haha

Wasteland
10-06-09, 10:35 am
I'm not necessarily promoting one approach or another, but rather, that each approach has pros and cons that need to be weighed by each individual.

Mixing whey with oatmeal is a great option because oatmeal has many beneficial properties, fiber and nutrients known to us. In theory, it has a lower GI (though in reality, I don't think this matters).

Mixing whey with maltodextrin or dextrose (or some combo) is great because of functional benefits like rapid gastric emptying. Many argue (needlessly, I believe) about the status of maltrodextrin as a complex carb with high GI. Again, I think this is largely a debate that's a waste of time.

Bottom line, if you have no issues with appetite, then go for more of a whole foods approach, and use oatmeal with your whey. If you have difficulty getting all the calories down and have a smaller appetite, try using whey + maltodextrin and/or dextrose. Why? Because it will empty out of your stomach/gut faster and be absorbed faster. As for all this nonsense about GI, so what? You're not drinking pure maltodextrin, right? So glycemic load becomes more relevant. That is is to say, fiber, fats and protein will blunt the glycemic response of the maltodextrin. Moral of the story, don't just buy into the idea that there's only one way, or there's only one best way. Rather, use what will make sense for you. For some, it will be oatmeal. For others, it may be maltodextrin. All too often, people read something and then they parrot it over and over. When they do that, they close themselves off to different approaches or ways of thinking--something that happens all too often on forums.

adidas
10-06-09, 11:12 am
and add some damn fruit to it! banannanannana's and berries and mango's and shit! and don't forget wheat germ...oh and if you wnat some other good fats try coconut oil or mac nut oil!

I mean we are talking wt gainers right?

try whole eggs in it too...2-4 of them...

Wasteland
10-06-09, 12:11 pm
and add some damn fruit to it! banannanannana's and berries and mango's and shit! and don't forget wheat germ...oh and if you wnat some other good fats try coconut oil or mac nut oil!

I mean we are talking wt gainers right?

try whole fertile eggs in it too...2-4 of them...

while you're at it, 8-12 oz of raw milk...

I think you meant this ^^.

Gio71
10-06-09, 12:31 pm
i would do 64grams of pb and around 50grams protein and 50grams of carbs comming from oatmeal

thats what i wanted to do hehe thanks bro!

Gio71
10-06-09, 12:32 pm
for a tip, buy urself a coffee grinder & grind the oats in it till theyre dust...then just mix with the shake....goes down soooooo easy it should be outlawed...haha

yeah i hate the big pieces of oats in the shake, good that you remembered me thanks

Gio71
10-06-09, 12:34 pm
I'm not necessarily promoting one approach or another, but rather, that each approach has pros and cons that need to be weighed by each individual.

Mixing whey with oatmeal is a great option because oatmeal has many beneficial properties, fiber and nutrients known to us. In theory, it has a lower GI (though in reality, I don't think this matters).

Mixing whey with maltodextrin or dextrose (or some combo) is great because of functional benefits like rapid gastric emptying. Many argue (needlessly, I believe) about the status of maltrodextrin as a complex carb with high GI. Again, I think this is largely a debate that's a waste of time.

Bottom line, if you have no issues with appetite, then go for more of a whole foods approach, and use oatmeal with your whey. If you have difficulty getting all the calories down and have a smaller appetite, try using whey + maltodextrin and/or dextrose. Why? Because it will empty out of your stomach/gut faster and be absorbed faster. As for all this nonsense about GI, so what? You're not drinking pure maltodextrin, right? So glycemic load becomes more relevant. That is is to say, fiber, fats and protein will blunt the glycemic response of the maltodextrin. Moral of the story, don't just buy into the idea that there's only one way, or there's only one best way. Rather, use what will make sense for you. For some, it will be oatmeal. For others, it may be maltodextrin. All too often, people read something and then they parrot it over and over. When they do that, they close themselves off to different approaches or ways of thinking--something that happens all too often on forums.
in the weight gainers that i've bought in the past there always was maltodextrin in it i was taking as p/wo .

adidas
10-06-09, 12:37 pm
I think you meant this ^^.

Ha ha....true...if and where you can get it sure...otherwise just make due with what you have ;)

thanks Wasteland

Wasteland
10-06-09, 12:40 pm
in the weight gainers that i've bought in the past there always was maltodextrin in it i was taking as p/wo .

Maltodextrin is in many gainers (as are other economical CHO sources) for obvious reasons, one of which, they are cost-effective. Somewhere along the line, this idea of maltodextrin as cheap has caused many to criticize its inclusion in said gainers. I think this kind of thinking is a mistake. Just because something is cheap, doesn't mean it not valuable in the right circumstances. Last I checked, creatine monohydrate was pretty cheap too, lol.

stumblin54
10-06-09, 1:05 pm
Eggs are pretty cheap too, right?.. Great thought Wasteland, I always appreciate your outside-the-box stance.

Stumblin

Wasteland
10-06-09, 1:12 pm
Eggs are pretty cheap too, right?.. Great thought Wasteland, I always appreciate your outside-the-box stance.

Stumblin

Sadly, my thinking often seems "outside-the-box" to others, but to me, it's just common sense. What does that that say about my common sense? lol

All things equal, go for whole foods as a default. Mix oatmeal or other good, whole food carb sources into your protein shake. Still, there are situations where using maltodextrin or dextrose would be superior to oatmeal. Yes, I know that's a controversial thought. When you're chugging a lot of calories, for many, the last thing you want is another meal that'll sit heavy in your stomach. There are obvious reasons why oatmeal is high on the list of those who are dieting. Foods high in fiber is good for you and they can keep you feeling full longer (satiety). For the guy on a bulk who has trouble getting in enough calories (most of us), satiety is your enemy, not your friend (on a cut, satiety is your friend).

So while oatmeal makes more sense than maltodextrin nutritionally speaking, when it comes to absorption and digestion, and when you're on a bulk, you can make a compelling argument that maltodextrin is better than oatmeal. It's all about perspective and how you are looking at a problem, rather than set, single answers to every situation (e.g., "just make a weight gainer with with and oatmeal"). I'll take specialization over generalization any day of the week.

hardworkE
10-06-09, 1:59 pm

Not sure why I haven't thought of this...good lookin out

adidas
10-06-09, 2:15 pm
Sadly, my thinking often seems "outside-the-box" to others, but to me, it's just common sense. What does that that say about my common sense? lol

Ironically I think we both seem to sit in this boat for a lot of issues...

Wasteland
10-06-09, 3:04 pm
Ironically I think we both seem to sit in this boat for a lot of issues...

Let's start a club. Let's call it the Free Thinker's Club.

stumblin54
10-07-09, 12:30 am

Well I had to call it something. 'Unique', 'against the grain', and 'individual' among many others would've also worked I guess. Oh and let me know where to sign up for this club, I want in..

Stumblin

adidas
10-07-09, 8:32 am
I'm in for the club as well...does it require a special hand shake and secret password...it could help reduce riff-raff...lol

Wasteland
10-07-09, 8:35 am
Well I had to call it something. 'Unique', 'against the grain', and 'individual' among many others would've also worked I guess. Oh and let me know where to sign up for this club, I want in..

Stumblin

I'm in for the club as well...does it require a special hand shake and secret password...it could help reduce riff-raff...lol

Let's have the Watchmen create a special section. Bolded above for emphasis, lol.