PDA

View Full Version : New Universal Ad?

Universal Rep
10-06-09, 4:04 pm
M&F, December '09 ish. Anyone get it yet in the mail? Check out pages 79-81. Thoughts?

Mr. Dead
10-06-09, 4:48 pm
M&F, December '09 ish. Anyone get it yet in the mail? Check out pages 79-81. Thoughts?

Won't get it in, until next Monday... I'll definitely be lookin'...

Ricky P
10-06-09, 5:05 pm

That's old school baby. I love it. Squats are for sissies! Bold. Expect nothing less!

Tifferzzz
10-06-09, 5:16 pm
I don't know if this is in relation - or not - but in my M&F magazine - for the past couple of months - my awesome, motivational bad ass quotes from Animal are no more! Instead - just a picture.

I miss my quotes. *Inserts frowny / pouty face here*

Universal Rep
10-06-09, 5:17 pm
That's old school baby. I love it. Squats are for sissies! Bold. Expect nothing less!

Haha, yeah... Old school all the way. No time for sissies....

If Animal is about hardcore, Universal is about old school...

Universal Rep
10-06-09, 5:18 pm
I don't know if this is in relation - or not - but in my M&F magazine - for the past couple of months - my awesome, motivational bad ass quotes from Animal are no more! Instead - just a picture.

I miss my quotes. *Inserts frowny / pouty face here*

As an aside, they're still around. Those "classic" Animal ads are in the mags. There were to new recent one, including Ox in "Stand Your Ground" for example... The Breach ad campaign is a whole other animal...

shortstack
10-06-09, 6:05 pm
Hey U-Rep, why don't we have a preview section on here or at the Universal site where forum members can preview the ads before they show up in the magazines?

Thanks Brother.

Shortstack

Universal Rep
10-07-09, 9:43 am
Hey U-Rep, why don't we have a preview section on here or at the Universal site where forum members can preview the ads before they show up in the magazines?

Thanks Brother.

Shortstack

Now that's a good idea... I'll check with Corporate to see if this could be done. Maybe they could put it up on UniversalUSA.com?

Anyone else wanna see that happen?

ghost
10-07-09, 9:49 am
me me me me me.. lol.

shortstack
10-07-09, 9:49 am
Now that's a good idea... I'll check with Corporate to see if this could be done. Maybe they could put it up on UniversalUSA.com?

Just wondering bro. Seems like the loyal legion ought to get a sneak peak before the masses.

Thanks for checking on that U-Rep
Shortstack

Universal Rep
10-07-09, 10:01 am
Just wondering bro. Seems like the loyal legion ought to get a sneak peak before the masses.

Thanks for checking on that U-Rep
Shortstack

Membership has its privileges, eh?

I'll see what I can do...

Ricky P
10-07-09, 12:29 pm
Know what would be pretty legit? They come out with maybe 2 or 3 different ads and have an official POLL thread right here on the Forvm. Give it a week of voting to see which ad hits the presses.

Universal Rep
10-07-09, 12:38 pm
Know what would be pretty legit? They come out with maybe 2 or 3 different ads and have an official POLL thread right here on the Forvm. Give it a week of voting to see which ad hits the presses.

Gettin' carried away are we, RP? Haha... One step at a time.

Wasteland
10-07-09, 2:04 pm

Sissies? Definitely interested in seeing a new ad with sissies, lol.

Little Z
10-07-09, 3:57 pm

Just got it in the mail and took a look..

Definitely diggin the new ad, just like the locker ad..

Wasteland
10-07-09, 3:59 pm
Just got it in the mail and took a look..

Definitely diggin the new ad, just like the locker ad..

Can't wait to get my copy. Is the new ad similar to the first locker ad?

Little Z
10-07-09, 4:03 pm
Can't wait to get my copy. Is the new ad similar to the first locker ad?

Yup..

total old school, if URep doesnt mind I can put it up on here like I did the Locker ad when it first released.

Wasteland
10-07-09, 4:06 pm
Yup..

total old school, if URep doesnt mind I can put it up on here like I did the Locker ad when it first released.

I don't think he'd mind. I'd like to see it as I'm sure others would too.

Mr. Dead
10-07-09, 4:09 pm
I don't think he'd mind. I'd like to see it as I'm sure others would too.

x2...

Little Z
10-07-09, 4:10 pm
x2...

you cant wait till next Monday? lol

Mr. Dead
10-07-09, 4:15 pm
you cant wait till next Monday? lol

Uhm... I think you know the answer to that... *LOL*

Little Z
10-07-09, 4:17 pm
Uhm... I think you know the answer to that... *LOL*

HAHA I dont blame you.. ill see what I can do..

Little Z
10-07-09, 11:16 pm
You're in luck.. felt the need to give back a little hahaha..

did a couple quick scans.. technically this is a 3 page ad.. you'll see..

The U Ad - http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii279/WHannon/TheUAd.jpg

Double Page Ad - http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii279/WHannon/TheUAd2.jpg?t=1254971329

let me know how that second link shows up.. I wanted it to be big enough where you could read the 'article'..

happy Mr. Dead?

Wasteland
10-08-09, 8:52 am

Double Page Ad - http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii279/WHannon/TheUAd2.jpg?t=1254971329

let me know how that second link shows up.. I wanted it to be big enough where you could read the 'article'..

happy Mr. Dead?

Now that's an interesting ad Little Z. Looks like an old school 1979 magazine inside the 2009 magazine. Thanks for posting this up.

Kon_Rock
10-08-09, 9:05 am
Haha....that ridiculous. Awesome ad, COMPLETELY different then anything in that magazine. Awesome!

Wasteland
10-08-09, 9:07 am
Haha....that ridiculous. Awesome ad, COMPLETELY different then anything in that magazine. Awesome!

I know what you mean. Is it me or is the article better than anything in that magazine? Definitely stands out.

charlievanriper
10-08-09, 9:13 am
Love the Idea, def love the Ad.
Dont normally buy many of the big Commercial mags ( dont like their tie ins with Weider and MuscleTech lol, but for this I'll have to buy one.

Beach91
10-08-09, 9:19 am
Thats an amazing ad, a throwback to the golden era of bodybuilding, so retro n cool, i love how universal is differentiating between themselves and the animal brand, but keeping ti with such a fresh and original feel as compared to what is out there right now in comparison to other companies

Beowulf
10-08-09, 9:48 am
Thats an amazing ad, a throwback to the golden era of bodybuilding, so retro n cool, i love how universal is differentiating between themselves and the animal brand, but keeping ti with such a fresh and original feel as compared to what is out there right now in comparison to other companies

Love those new ads. I think you're right about going back to the past and the golden era. The ads are cool and informative.

Universal Rep
10-08-09, 10:25 am
Animal = hardcore dungeon
Universal = old school Golden Age

Kon_Rock
10-08-09, 10:51 am
I know what you mean. Is it me or is the article better than anything in that magazine? Definitely stands out.

Yes! People will learn more from that ad then the whole mag!

Wasteland
10-08-09, 10:53 am
Yes! People will learn more from that ad then the whole mag!

Sad for M&F, good for Universal, lol. I saw there was a website. Assuming that's where the article finishes? It's hard to make out on the scan.

Soldier
10-08-09, 10:56 am
Now that's the best thing I've seen in a long time. Props to the heads of marketing over at Universal.

Universal Rep
10-08-09, 10:59 am
Love the 70s vibe from the new ad. Fitting as Universal's been around since 1977... What other bodybuilding company has been around as long?

Hoping there are more old school "articles" coming in the future... Anyone feel me?

ghost
10-08-09, 11:02 am
Love the 70s vibe from the new ad. Fitting as Universal's been around since 1977... What other bodybuilding company has been around as long?

Hoping there are more old school "articles" coming in the future... Anyone feel me?

those ads are amazing. definitely looking forward to more of them.

Kon_Rock
10-08-09, 11:06 am
Sad for M&F, good for Universal, lol. I saw there was a website. Assuming that's where the article finishes? It's hard to make out on the scan.

Yeah I don't know I gotta go pick up M&F this weekend and keep that ad.

G Diesel
10-08-09, 11:27 am

happy Mr. Dead?

Now that is what real bodybuilding looks like. Simple. Old school. Awesome.

Peace, G

Wasteland
10-08-09, 11:38 am

Peace, G

Or at least, used to look like. I wish pro bodybuilding would start moving to something akin the those classic physiques of yesteryear, with the tiny, waspish waists.

G Diesel
10-08-09, 11:40 am
Or at least, used to look like. I wish pro bodybuilding would start moving to something akin the those classic physiques of yesteryear, with the tiny, waspish waists.

Right. Maybe I meant that is what it looks like in my head. That is the ideal as I see it. I'm all for mass, but the old school aesthetics never go out of style.

Plus, I very much like the vibe of the old magazines from Arnold's era.

Peace, G

Wasteland
10-08-09, 11:46 am
Right. Maybe I meant that is what it looks like in my head. That is the ideal as I see it. I'm all for mass, but the old school aesthetics never go out of style.

Plus, I very much like the vibe of the old magazines from Arnold's era.

Peace, G

Nothing like a little nostalgia, especially if that nostalgia can teach us something about the here and now, whether it be physiques, diets, or lifting. We shouldn't look at the past as old or obsolete, but a return to clarity and simplicity perhaps. Today, you have the internet and so much pseudoscience and misinformation when it comes to diet and supplements and even training. There is information overload and we are being disconnected from one another more and more as we email each other, text each other, and post on each other's Facebook pages. back in the 70s and earlier, it was more about guys getting together, face to face, to lift for the love of it and keeping things simple. Real relationships mattered. Real communities existed, not these online communities (which do have some benefits, granted). Today, there are too many choices, and most aren't even good.

Beach91
10-08-09, 11:59 am
Wasteland and G,

u guys can see it and so many others can too, in another post i explained why i took my forum name Beach, because its a tribute to the physiques of the 70s, the musclebeach era.

tiny waist, big arms, shoulders, chest etc. no more pregnant bloated bellys, I am all for mass, but do u think the trend will ever reverse? Maybe a combination of size and aesthetics with a retro feel, instead of who can get to 300 on stage the quickest.

Does anyone think it will ever happen though?

More is better is not always true

Better is better
Beach

Wasteland
10-08-09, 12:08 pm
Wasteland and G,

u guys can see it and so many others can too, in another post i explained why i took my forum name Beach, because its a tribute to the physiques of the 70s, the musclebeach era.

tiny waist, big arms, shoulders, chest etc. no more pregnant bloated bellys, I am all for mass, but do u think the trend will ever reverse? Maybe a combination of size and aesthetics with a retro feel, instead of who can get to 300 on stage the quickest.

Better is better
Beach

I say bring back the vacuum and make it a mandatory. That would change the landscape of competitive bodybuilding overnight. It would mark a return to reason, realism and authenticity in bodybuilding. It would make bodybuilding more healthy and attainable. I know many today are enamored (if that's the right word) with today's mass freaks, but I'll tell you what, seeing Zane at 187 hit a vacuum is no less freaky, no less amazing, and no less daunting than a bodybuilder standing on stage at 300 pounds with 4% bodyfat. Maybe I'm in the minority with this viewpoint.

Mr. Dead
10-08-09, 12:12 pm
I say bring back the vacuum and make it a mandatory. That would change the landscape of competitive bodybuilding overnight. It would mark a return to reason, realism and authenticity in bodybuilding. It would make bodybuilding more healthy and attainable. I know many today are enamored (if that's the right word) with today's mass freaks, but I'll tell you what, seeing Zane at 187 hit a vacuum is no less freaky, no less amazing, and no less daunting than a bodybuilder standing on stage at 300 pounds with 4% bodyfat. Maybe I'm in the minority with this viewpoint.

There's been a recent push to bring back the vacuum... I'm all for it...

Wasteland
10-08-09, 12:14 pm
There's been a recent push to bring back the vacuum... I'm all for it...

Recent push where?

Universal Rep
10-08-09, 1:22 pm

Peace, G

Nothing like a little nostalgia, especially if that nostalgia can teach us something about the here and now, whether it be physiques, diets, or lifting. We shouldn't look at the past as old or obsolete, but a return to clarity and simplicity perhaps. Today, you have the internet and so much pseudoscience and misinformation when it comes to diet and supplements and even training. There is information overload and we are being disconnected from one another more and more as we email each other, text each other, and post on each other's Facebook pages. back in the 70s and earlier, it was more about guys getting together, face to face, to lift for the love of it and keeping things simple. Real relationships mattered. Real communities existed, not these online communities (which do have some benefits, granted). Today, there are too many choices, and most aren't even good.

Wasteland and G,

Better is better
Beach

Now you fellas get it...

Mr. Dead
10-08-09, 1:25 pm
Recent push where?

In one of the recent Flex magazines... There was an article by Arnold, and another mention of it, by the editor, and another one by Bob Ciccherillo...

Beach91
10-08-09, 1:28 pm
Amen to the Vaccuum, i love it and practice it during my ab routines, even when off season when my vaccuum has more to suck up (sorry bad joke)

But yeah make it mandatory, the Zane shot is simply amazing, and bodybuilders should be judged their entire time on the stage. That is how i was taught, chest out, gut in the whole time on stage, no blowing out your stomach between poses like you see these days

Brutus_515
10-08-09, 1:33 pm
Im not one to get all wrapped up on ads but...those new Universal ads are really awesome. Takes us young guys back when the sport was in its best time.

G Diesel
10-08-09, 1:37 pm
The kind of physiques you are talking about here are more possible in natural federations, though they tend to punish anyone with what they consider a "drug-like" physique--full, round, thick, powerful. Which is a shame.

Vacuums in the IFBB or high level NPC? Probably a stretch, especially in the upper weight classes. What many want is to have the freak factor of the modern sport but go back to the old aesthetic standards--which is unlikely. About as easy as getting water back into the bottle after you've poured it on the ground.

Peace, G

Universal Rep
10-08-09, 1:38 pm
Im not one to get all wrapped up on ads but...those new Universal ads are really awesome. Takes us young guys back when the sport was in its best time.

Couldn't agree more, S... Back in the old days, the sport was different than it is today. The champions were more approachable, their physiques were attainable... The community more supportive. Today, there's too much celebrity action going on with pro physiques that are just unrealistic for the average young bodybuilder (though impressive in their own way). It wasn't called the Golden Age for nothing.

Wasteland
10-08-09, 1:56 pm
The kind of physiques you are talking about here are more possible in natural federations, though they tend to punish anyone with what they consider a "drug-like" physique--full, round, thick, powerful. Which is a shame.

Vacuums in the IFBB or high level NPC? Probably a stretch, especially in the upper weight classes. What many want is to have the freak factor of the modern sport but go back to the old aesthetic standards--which is unlikely. About as easy as getting water back into the bottle after you've poured it on the ground.

Peace, G

Maybe, but I do think it's possible to take back the term, "freak", and redefine it. Like I said, freak is often a term used to reference sheer size/musculature first, then maybe conditioning second. I think the term could easily apply to someone with a total muscular package while hitting the vacuum. It could apply to the bodybuilder with a tiny, tiny waist and huge lat flare. In short, freak can come to become synonymous with quality, not quantity. Does the pinnacle of the sport always have to be a guy who is 6' and 300 pounds? Imagine a new kind of freaky, a whole new aesthetic based on the the historic legacy of the sport?

Beach91
10-08-09, 2:10 pm
U hit the nail on the head with that one Wasteland, Quality should come first as well as conditioning.

I can see G's point that you can't hit vaccuums with the kind of size on stage that there is these days, but maybe we need to step back in the amount of size or freakiness there is, or possibly bring on different classes,

In Canada they have started a class for a more classic physique at some of the shows, Its an idea that could be a start.

Also, the IFBB could use some if its judging std. more strictly docking points for protruding guts, although, how do u go about doing that when everyone has one?

I am not sure what the answer is, but the freakier it gets, the less mainstream it is, i dont mind it being a cult or underground sport to a point, but bodybuilding is dying in general

Universal Rep
10-08-09, 2:10 pm
Maybe, but I do think it's possible to take back the term, "freak", and redefine it. Like I said, freak is often a term used to reference sheer size/musculature first, then maybe conditioning second. I think the term could easily apply to someone with a total muscular package while hitting the vacuum. It could apply to the bodybuilder with a tiny, tiny waist and huge lat flare. In short, freak can come to become synonymous with quality, not quantity. Does the pinnacle of the sport always have to be a guy who is 6' and 300 pounds? Imagine a new kind of freaky, a whole new aesthetic based on the the historic legacy of the sport?

I'm with you on this... IMHO, when size and mass becomes the most important variable, I think you lose more of what makes a champion a champion... The stuff you can't see, the heart, the grit, the determination. All that gets tossed to the side. Not just that, but the bigger the bodybuilders get, the greater the stigma of enhancement. Ain't good for the sport...

Universal Rep
10-08-09, 2:12 pm
but bodybuilding is dying in general

Yup... And I'm convinced it's largely cuz of what physiques have become. That's the irony... Bodybuilding today is more about spectacle, less about participation.

ghost
10-08-09, 2:15 pm
I miss Frank Zane...........

Brutus_515
10-08-09, 2:17 pm
I look at it as a sports evolution to distruction or de-evelution. It happens alot not just in bodybuilding. The size factor in body building. Baseball went from a game to a money seeking machine. so on an so on. but to keep on topic. Its nice to see that a big name in the industry is giving everyone a reminder of where it all came from. good job.

Wasteland
10-08-09, 2:25 pm
I look at it as a sports evolution to distruction or de-evelution. It happens alot not just in bodybuilding. The size factor in body building. Baseball went from a game to a money seeking machine. so on an so on. but to keep on topic. Its nice to see that a big name in the industry is giving everyone a reminder of where it all came from. good job.

Lucky for us, that period where it came from happens to be a great one.

BigAnt
10-08-09, 2:31 pm
With good old barbells and dumbbells --steaks and whole eggs to get you big....old school stuff---can learn a lot from it

GREAT AD....Hope to see more of the same!

Bootleg
10-08-09, 3:08 pm
ads are going on my wall. i need a wallpaper on my laptop. anyone?

Khaos
10-08-09, 3:15 pm
Membership has its privileges, eh?

I'll see what I can do...

I would love to preview that before it comes out let us all no thanks guys

KhAoS

Hoomgar
10-08-09, 3:20 pm

That would be such a special privilege extended to the legion U. I'm all for it.

happy Mr. Dead?

Thanks bro, that rocked.

Hg

Mr. Dead
10-08-09, 4:14 pm

happy Mr. Dead?

Ecstatic!!!

Little Z
10-08-09, 4:43 pm
I love the entire feel of the new Universal ads that are being released.. its just something about reliving the "Golden Era"..

Way to young to be around at that time, so this is my chance to see it lol..

Wasteland the site is www.UniversalUSA.com/squat if you wanna continue reading..

and if anyone needs the article side of the ad a little larger so they can read it, let me know and ill get just that side up..

only reason I have M&F is because it was a free subscription.. but you definitely need to pick this up, just for the ad and article..

what ever happened to the Calendar that was suppose to be released from the store on better/thicker paper?

Wasteland
10-08-09, 4:49 pm
I love the entire feel of the new Universal ads that are being released.. its just something about reliving the "Golden Era"..

Way to young to be around at that time, so this is my chance to see it lol..

Wasteland the site is www.UniversalUSA.com/squat if you wanna continue reading..

and if anyone needs the article side of the ad a little larger so they can read it, let me know and ill get just that side up..

only reason I have M&F is because it was a free subscription.. but you definitely need to pick this up, just for the ad and article..

what ever happened to the Calendar that was suppose to be released from the store on better/thicker paper?

Great, thanks for that link Little Z.

With those new ads, by going back to bodybuilding's past and to the company's history, I think Universal is sending a clear message that they believe the sport can change for the better (for competitors and for each of us) by looking backward, and that by re-examining the sport's legacy, we may learn something important about the future. Then again, I may be reading too much into things, lol.

Little Z
10-08-09, 5:04 pm

With those new ads, by going back to bodybuilding's past and to the company's history, I think Universal is sending a clear message that they believe the sport can change for the better (for competitors and for each of us) by looking backward, and that by re-examining the sport's legacy, we may learn something important about the future. Then again, I may be reading too much into things, lol.

For once.. I think im going to completely agree with you Wasteland.. LOL

Hoomgar
10-08-09, 5:14 pm

No I don't think you are reading too much into it bro. Just reading between the lines that is all. Some things we progress "away" from as time goes by. But some things don't necessarily get better with time. They may change, but not always for the better. in certain ways, this sport is like that. Maybe that is not an all aspects included statement but I think as a genre, it may be true to many of us. Even us noobies.

Universal Rep
10-09-09, 9:48 am

Money... Old school don't mean obsolete.

Tifferzzz
10-09-09, 11:53 am
I've always loved vintage things. The thing that I can appreciate about this ad is that the information through the ages never changes. You won't ever see an ad that says that squats don't work - and let me tell you - one of my favorite types of squats are sissy squats. If you really want to break the mold and see just how weak you are - try this - most people call it 'ass to the ground.'

Place your arms straight out in front of you. Slowly squat down all of the way and keep re-positioning your feet until the width and angle feel comfortable - your hips should be above your ankles, and your knees when viewed from the front should be over your toes. That is your foot position.

Now pick up the weight and squat it down - without the bounce. Yeah - it's easier with the bounce, but we're not going for ease - nice and controlled - and then back up.

Now you've experienced a weightlifter's squat.

Enjoy.

Wasteland
10-09-09, 3:26 pm
I've always loved vintage things. The thing that I can appreciate about this ad is that the information through the ages never changes. You won't ever see an ad that says that squats don't work - and let me tell you - one of my favorite types of squats are sissy squats. If you really want to break the mold and see just how weak you are - try this - most people call it 'ass to the ground.'

Place your arms straight out in front of you. Slowly squat down all of the way and keep re-positioning your feet until the width and angle feel comfortable - your hips should be above your ankles, and your knees when viewed from the front should be over your toes. That is your foot position.

Now pick up the weight and squat it down - without the bounce. Yeah - it's easier with the bounce, but we're not going for ease - nice and controlled - and then back up.

Now you've experienced a weightlifter's squat.

Enjoy.

I agree with you. But with things that are old, you have to make the distinction between say, antique and junk, lol.

I think a lot has to do with perception. We all believe what's new is what's best and that what's old is obsolete. Everyone wants the latest and greatest toothpaste and cavity fighter. How much of the improvement is real and how much of it taps into our desires for it to be real? That's where marketing comes in. Marketing is about turning perceptions, and our fears, into reality and then providing the solution. And I'm just not talking about goods and services, but things like what you said above--our perception of the squat or certain exercises which aren't done anymore because of PERCEPTION, not REALITY (or worse and more accurately, perception that becomes solidified as reality).

Universal Rep
10-09-09, 4:00 pm
I agree with you. But with things that are old, you have to make the distinction between say, antique and junk, lol.

I think a lot has to do with perception. We all believe what's new is what's best and that what's old is obsolete. Everyone wants the latest and greatest toothpaste and cavity fighter. How much of the improvement is real and how much of it taps into our desires for it to be real? That's where marketing comes in. Marketing is about turning perceptions, and our fears, into reality and then providing the solution. And I'm just not talking about goods and services, but things like what you said above--our perception of the squat or certain exercises which aren't done anymore because of PERCEPTION, not REALITY (or worse and more accurately, perception that becomes solidified as reality).

I... Think I agree, haha.

Here's how I see it. There are some fellas who I talk to who are absolutely loyal to Uni-Liver. Yet to 99.9% of supp users out there, if you mention desiccated liver tabs, they think you're nuts. If they've even heard of it, they are amazed anyone is still selling it in 2009, let alone 1979. Yet everyone I know who start using it becomes loyal to it. Old? Yup. Obsolete? Nope. But people want what's new when it comes to supps... They wanna believe there is something new or cutting edge...

Little Z
10-09-09, 4:02 pm
I... Think I agree, haha.

Here's how I see it. There are some fellas who I talk to who are absolutely loyal to Uni-Liver. Yet to 99.9% of supp users out there, if you mention desiccated liver tabs, they think you're nuts. If they've even heard of it, they are amazed anyone is still selling it in 2009, let alone 1979. Yet everyone I know who start using it becomes loyal to it. Old? Yup. Obsolete? Nope. But people want what's new when it comes to supps... They wanna believe there is something new or cutting edge...

all in search of that 'magic pill'..

Universal Rep
10-09-09, 4:07 pm
all in search of that 'magic pill'..

Exactly, LZ... In the olden days (and maybe I'm wrong about this), I'm guessin' the bodybuilders took more time, were more patient and understood better that there are no shortcuts, no magic pills, no overnight results. Am I wrong? So if by Universal goin' back to the Golden Age, it teaches us not to take shortcuts, to be patient, then this is a good thing...

Little Z
10-09-09, 4:11 pm
Exactly, LZ... In the olden days (and maybe I'm wrong about this), I'm guessin' the bodybuilders took more time, were more patient and understood better that there are no shortcuts, no magic pills, no overnight results. Am I wrong? So if by Universal goin' back to the Golden Age, it teaches us not to take shortcuts, to be patient, then this is a good thing...

Absolutely correct.. I am lucky enough to train with some old school fellas.. and I try to bring it up as much as possible to learn..

it was purely a science to them, learning exactly how THEIR (not everyones) body reacted to a new routine, or a different amount of cals..
they did take their time, and now.. its all fast pace, go go go go go.. energy drink this, 16 hour shot that.. unfortunately this whole
shortcut generation has spilled over to our world..

Universal Rep
10-09-09, 4:16 pm
Absolutely correct.. I am lucky enough to train with some old school fellas.. and I try to bring it up as much as possible to learn..

it was purely a science to them, learning exactly how THEIR (not everyones) body reacted to a new routine, or a different amount of cals..
they did take their time, and now.. its all fast pace, go go go go go.. energy drink this, 16 hour shot that.. unfortunately this whole
shortcut generation has spilled over to our world..

See now, that's the key... Back in the olden days, it seemed like every old school gym had real mentors, a real brotherhood... And if you were fortunate enough to get into a solid gym, they all took you in and accepted you, the novice, the disciple, under their wing. Kinda like a master-apprentice kinda thing. You learned by sitting at the feet of those who were more seasoned, more experienced, more accomplished. And one day, you'd do the same thing for some young kid green behind the years. Back then, there were more connections to thet gym, the owners, the other members... Even at bodybuilding shows, more connections. Today, shows are about seeing and being seen (the big shows). Gyms are like a giant superstore, churning members in and of their doors. It's hard to connect with solid, experienced guys, hard to get good info. Instead, you got everyone training with headphones on. You got the internet, with everyone talkin' and arguin' about every last detail about dieting and training and how it things should be done right... I wish I trained in the 70s, that's for sure.

/rant

TigerAce01
10-09-09, 4:22 pm
See now, that's the key... Back in the olden days, it seemed like every old school gym had real mentors, a real brotherhood... And if you were fortunate enough to get into a solid gym, they all took you, the novide, the disciple, under their wing. Kinda like a master-apprentice kinda thing. You learned by sitting at the feet of those who were more seasoned, more experienced, more accomplished. And one day, you'd do the day for some young kid green behind the years. Today, gyms are like a giant superstore, churning members in and of their doors. It's hard to connect with solid, experienced guys, hard to get good info. Instead, you got everyone training with headphones on. You got the internet, with everyone talkin' and arguin' about every last detail about dieting and training and how it things should be done right... I wish I trained in the 70s, that's for sure.

This is what I'm constantly looking for, and have rarely ever found in the least. Today's youth, me included, doesn't have much at all in the way of guidance in any aspect of life. We have so many people telling us how to do so many things, shoving information and advice down our throats that either doesn't matter, is wrong, or is too advanced for us to benefit from it. Sometimes people my age don't need an in depth article on how certain steroids work...we really need someone to keep us honest and determined...some real role models that are true to who they are...not just faking as to what society sees as acceptable.

-Ace

Universal Rep
10-09-09, 4:26 pm
This is what I'm constantly looking for, and have rarely ever found in the least. Today's youth, me included, doesn't have much at all in the way of guidance in any aspect of life. We have so many people telling us how to do so many things, shoving information and advice down our throats that either doesn't matter, is wrong, or is too advanced for us to benefit from it. Sometimes people my age don't need an in depth article on how certain steroids work...we really need someone to keep us honest and determined...some real role models that are true to who they are...not just faking as to what society sees as acceptable.

-Ace

I hear ya, brother... Without proper guidance in life, in parents, in mentors, in those who you believe in, it's hard to separate right from wrong, good from bad. It's hard to learn a work ethic. These things just don't form in a vacuum. Part of what Animal does, the part I respect most, is to teach and educate, whether in The Cage or here or at ABCs. That's a mission I'm proud to serve.

Little Z
10-09-09, 4:26 pm
See now, that's the key... Back in the olden days, it seemed like every old school gym had real mentors, a real brotherhood... And if you were fortunate enough to get into a solid gym, they all took you, the novide, the disciple, under their wing. Kinda like a master-apprentice kinda thing. You learned by sitting at the feet of those who were more seasoned, more experienced, more accomplished. And one day, you'd do the day for some young kid green behind the years. Today, gyms are like a giant superstore, churning members in and of their doors. It's hard to connect with solid, experienced guys, hard to get good info. Instead, you got everyone training with headphones on. You got the internet, with everyone talkin' and arguin' about every last detail about dieting and training and how it things should be done right... I wish I trained in the 70s, that's for sure.

Preach on brother.. I wish I could've just been around in the 70s to see all the history..

Thats exactly how its been for me.. having the guys I have around.. the other day, I was told "i want you to beat every one of my meet lifts"

This is coming from a guy, if you asked around the gym.. no one knows about, he barely talks to anyone, yet he and his crew took me in..
now I get guys comin in, who are too worried about watching themself in a mirror, telling me to move.. or running to their cell phone when its
their turn up to bench.. it was the era where everything was kept simple.. they didnt freak out if they had an extra 3g of carbs.. they worked
hard for everything they got, and didnt ask for any handouts.. its a whole new world out there now, from the 'war stories' of yesterday..
gym's taking posters off walls cause they are too intimidating, turning the music down because the new clients think its too loud, yet
they are listening to their own mp3 player.. i definitely think this was the right time for Universal to remind everyone of how things have changed..

Universal Rep
10-09-09, 4:29 pm
i definitely think this was the right time for Universal to remind everyone of how things have changed..

... And how much things need to stay the same.

Wasteland
10-09-09, 5:06 pm

-Ace

Technology is making this more and more difficult it seems to me.

Nick101
10-09-09, 7:34 pm
this is fucking awsome. U.Rep, i have to say i am really loveing the direction both companies are going in here, i honestly cant say that i like either better than the other, the "golden age" of bodybuilding is just as inspiring and interestiing to me as in the hardcore dungeon feel of animal.

ill be there first to tell anyone i got all the animal ads on my wall and the universal locker one fits right in there... haha mcdonalds anyone? im lovin it.

Tifferzzz
10-13-09, 1:52 pm
You want an old vs new experience? Check this out.

I just got back from a Tommy Kono clinic in Colorado Springs. If you don't know who Tommy Kono is - go to TommyKono.com.

He was never a coach, never had a coach - did it all himself. He did it in the basement of his home on warped floorboards with his own set of weights - none of this fancy gym stuff - why? Because he didn't have the time, he had to train and work, and what-not.

Here's the amazing thing - go to his site and look at his titles / awards. Done that? Good - now picture this.

We're in a room with about twenty people in a lecture, listening to the most amazing information on how to properly Olympic Lift. Not only does he show it, but fully explains it, and even physics backs it up.

Then a couple of people came in and said 'Well does so and so - the world champion do it that way?' Nope - but if he did, he would be better than he is - Tommy replied. You could see the people in the crowd that didn't approve of his lifting methods, but here's my point of view on this.

If I trained like Tommy - and cleared the same weight that he did 50 years ago - I would break the women's world total by over 200 lbs. So what if it isn't 'today's stuff.' It's better to follow someone who has done - whatever it is that you're looking to do - and use them as a mentor - than someone who never has. A book is a book, but a true mentor has stepped up and done it before hand.

Even though I've had to start over from scratch, and re-learn everything - it makes far more sense - and in addition - less injury as well.

I know I'm kind of short-babbling / bantering this, but hopefully you get the idea.

Now - in relation to the old ads vs the 'old ads.' I love the yellow / black or red / black ads that have motivational sayings and phrases - the one that talks about how you might see the house, but you didn't see it painstakingly built brick by brick. These kinds of things speak to my motivational - focus side, and because of that, I was sad to not see them anymore. That's all that I'm saying. The ads now - yeah they're nice, but they're not 'as nice' for me.

Wasteland
10-14-09, 11:37 am
You want an old vs new experience? Check this out.

I just got back from a Tommy Kono clinic in Colorado Springs. If you don't know who Tommy Kono is - go to TommyKono.com.

He was never a coach, never had a coach - did it all himself. He did it in the basement of his home on warped floorboards with his own set of weights - none of this fancy gym stuff - why? Because he didn't have the time, he had to train and work, and what-not.

Here's the amazing thing - go to his site and look at his titles / awards. Done that? Good - now picture this.

We're in a room with about twenty people in a lecture, listening to the most amazing information on how to properly Olympic Lift. Not only does he show it, but fully explains it, and even physics backs it up.

Then a couple of people came in and said 'Well does so and so - the world champion do it that way?' Nope - but if he did, he would be better than he is - Tommy replied. You could see the people in the crowd that didn't approve of his lifting methods, but here's my point of view on this.

If I trained like Tommy - and cleared the same weight that he did 50 years ago - I would break the women's world total by over 200 lbs. So what if it isn't 'today's stuff.' It's better to follow someone who has done - whatever it is that you're looking to do - and use them as a mentor - than someone who never has. A book is a book, but a true mentor has stepped up and done it before hand.

Even though I've had to start over from scratch, and re-learn everything - it makes far more sense - and in addition - less injury as well.

I know I'm kind of short-babbling / bantering this, but hopefully you get the idea.

Now - in relation to the old ads vs the 'old ads.' I love the yellow / black or red / black ads that have motivational sayings and phrases - the one that talks about how you might see the house, but you didn't see it painstakingly built brick by brick. These kinds of things speak to my motivational - focus side, and because of that, I was sad to not see them anymore. That's all that I'm saying. The ads now - yeah they're nice, but they're not 'as nice' for me.

It sounds like you're talking about Animal ads? In this thread, we've been focusing on Universal ads.

Little Z
10-14-09, 1:10 pm
It sounds like you're talking about Animal ads? In this thread, we've been focusing on Universal ads.

I got that vibe as well..

Two completely different advertising angles..

Tifferzzz
10-14-09, 1:43 pm

Meh - I was. My Bad.

Wasteland
10-14-09, 1:45 pm
Meh - I was. My Bad.

No problem. I just wanted clarification more than anything else.

C.Coronato
10-14-09, 5:23 pm
Im not sure what to say, besides agree with what has been said.

The 70s was about, simply put, brotherhood, and having fun while at it. Its just like everything else. Baseball, football, basketball. Watch college to pro games. College games are excited, they are unpaid and many of them do it simply because they love it. Thats what i feel the 70s was like. For the love of something makes a world of difference than when you get paid. You have guys now, in all sports, who if they make a dime less than 10 mil they cry and boycott. The 70s companionship needs to start at the core, then bring it back to the gyms. Big guys need to teach the young guys the rights and wrongs, helping them progress past them and not getting hung up on the mistakes they previously made. I wish i was around for the 70s ..

Northman
10-14-09, 10:54 pm
I like the direction this advertising campaign is taking. It is easier to relate to pictures of real people as opposed to a cartoon, no matter how well done. I also like how it wasn't "in your face" like many other companies advertisements. Once again Universal sets itself apart from the crowd.

Appollonian
10-15-09, 7:59 am
The ad was definitely the best part of my latest magazine. I've been getting magazines beyond the expiration date of my subscription (need to contact them on that...) for a few months and I don't even read most the things in there anymore, but I read that thing before I even got out of my car!

The ad is to the point, informative, and looks awesome. It keeps it's head out of the pseudo-science and flash all the other brands are using; good job Universal.

Wasteland
10-15-09, 10:09 am
The ad was definitely the best part of my latest magazine. I've been getting magazines beyond the expiration date of my subscription (need to contact them on that...) for a few months and I don't even read most the things in there anymore, but I read that thing before I even got out of my car!

The ad is to the point, informative, and looks awesome. It keeps it's head out of the pseudo-science and flash all the other brands are using; good job Universal.

K.I.S.S. > Pseudoscience

Beach91
10-15-09, 10:16 am
Does anyone know if the ad will appear in other mags, mainly MD. Muscle and Fitness tends to be a fairly vanilla magazine these days, with very little useful new info. Just wondering if the ad will appear in MD, or even Flex or Musclemag?

Wasteland
10-15-09, 10:18 am
Does anyone know if the ad will appear in other mags, mainly MD. Muscle and Fitness tends to be a fairly vanilla magazine these days, with very little useful new info. Just wondering if the ad will appear in MD, or even Flex or Musclemag?

My guess is yes, but you should check with one of the Reps. Why does it make a difference where an ad is placed?

Beach91
10-15-09, 10:47 am
Oh it doesnt Wasteland, its just that i buy MD every month, Muscle and Fitness not so much, and i scrap book all the good articles and pics from the mags i have and toss the rest, so i would buy M n F for the Ad if its not coming out in any of the other Mags, but if it is I will just wait to see it in another mag, and forego the expense of buying M n F this month

Wasteland
10-15-09, 11:02 am
Oh it doesnt Wasteland, its just that i buy MD every month, Muscle and Fitness not so much, and i scrap book all the good articles and pics from the mags i have and toss the rest, so i would buy M n F for the Ad if its not coming out in any of the other Mags, but if it is I will just wait to see it in another mag, and forego the expense of buying M n F this month

This poll sounds like it's for you: http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?p=824859#post824859

Why MD over M&F Beach91?

Beach91
10-15-09, 11:21 am
Hey Wasteland,

I just hit up that thread, all things being said I prefer the indepth contest coverage and the viewpoints of older and retired pros such as Yates, Flex and Ray, as well as anything to do with Lee priest I generally buy, Priest is my favorite.

I find M and F is more of a general fitness mag these days, it does have some good training articles, and new insight on different exercises, but it seems to me to be all flash and little substance. Plus an MD mag is 3 times as thick as an M and F mag, with more articles and insight from a variety of new and older pros.

Wasteland
10-15-09, 11:26 am
Hey Wasteland,

I just hit up that thread, all things being said I prefer the indepth contest coverage and the viewpoints of older and retired pros such as Yates, Flex and Ray, as well as anything to do with Lee priest I generally buy, Priest is my favorite.

I find M and F is more of a general fitness mag these days, it does have some good training articles, and new insight on different exercises, but it seems to me to be all flash and little substance. Plus an MD mag is 3 times as thick as an M and F mag, with more articles and insight from a variety of new and older pros.

I agree with you. M&F, to me, has seemed to lose its way a bit, and seems to emphasis "fitness" more than "muscle". I think MD has done a nice job to create a niche for itself.

Tifferzzz
10-15-09, 2:16 pm
Hey Wasteland,

I hate the ads. Every page is an ad with some info in between. It's the info I want! More info and less five-page ads please!

Wasteland
10-15-09, 4:37 pm
I hate the ads. Every page is an ad with some info in between. It's the info I want! More info and less five-page ads please!

The new Universal ads you hate?

Diesel Rocket
10-16-09, 9:21 am
I Want That Universal Tank Top He Has On

Wasteland
10-16-09, 11:28 am
I Want That Universal Tank Top He Has On

I do too. It's unlike any tank you see nowadays.

Tifferzzz
10-16-09, 2:03 pm
I agree with you. M&F, to me, has seemed to lose its way a bit, and seems to emphasis "fitness" more than "muscle". I think MD has done a nice job to create a niche for itself.

Nope - I don't hate the universal ads - I was talking to the general supplement ads in the M&F magazines that are 3-5 pages long telling us how spectacular their supplements are. The only ads I really care for are the Universal / Animal. 1-2 Pages is enough, and Animal does it right.