PDA

View Full Version : Hardgainer routine ?

MaveN
10-06-09, 4:23 pm
Hey fellas, a question about training for a hardgainer. I hear that less is more for a hardgainer, that hitting 2 body parts in a day and being in the gym for 3-4 days is better then doing 1 and being in the gym for lets say 5 (like doing chest 1 day, then back next then legs next etc etc to arms and shoulders on seperate days). Whats your guys take on this? I am a hardgainer myself and im just curious about this, because if this is so, i am going to have to change my routine a bit!

C.Coronato
10-06-09, 4:44 pm
Im gonna lay it down easy, before someone comes in and lays it out hard. Being a hard gainer is all in your head. If you dont eat enough, your not going to gain. There are no routines for a hard gainer or a easy gainer .. if you eat, you grow. Dont get me wrong, i thought i was in the same boat. I graduated HS in 2004 at 150ish .. right now, im dieting down for a show, but im 190 at about 7-8% BF. Thats all through natural supplementation and eating brother. SO we will start there as we have all been in your exact shoes my man and you have come to the perfect place to learn, whats your exact diet, right now.

MaveN
10-06-09, 7:46 pm
Really that hardgainer stuff is bs huh? Man i see that around all the time, its frustrating! The eating is where im falling short if you want honesty, which i admit, between school and all its tough so im tryin to do what i can. I just read that in an article today about the hardgainer thing and i was like this aint cool i gota find out, so i came here. Thanks to schooling i wake up different times during the day to, in all honesty, getting down a perfect diet is a pain in the arse right now so im tyring to keep it filled with protein and carbs and fats through a sporatic schedule. Eggs, cereal, milk (gettin some oatmeal soon when i get some $$ to spare) in the morning. I try to get in protein bars just inbewteen classes because i get no breaks inbetween my class. When i get home chicken or tuna, lean meats on whole wheat bread (i love roast beef and turkey), egg salad, sometimes rice if there is any or pasta. Dinner is usually steak or chicken with rice or broccoli or a potato, shake after gym since i work out in evenings and at night i snack on PB to, havent found alot of good stuff to eat before bed (i take zma at night so i dont eat RIGHT before bed). So i guess i can say without shame...please help!

shizz702
10-06-09, 8:27 pm
The whole "hard gainer" thing is not necessarily BS.

Some people really do overtrain easily and have horrible genetics, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can't reach your goals and develop your body.

Also, some people need to build up their work capacity, and at times an abbreviated routine, say a full body one, 3 times a week is a good start, and build up from there.

And like TTL said, eating plays a major role in it, and a lot of guys eat a bird diet and complain they can't gain weight. You can't build a house without the materials right? Just as you can't build mass without food.

Let us know your stats and experience and we can steer you in the right direction routine wise from there.

prowrestler
10-06-09, 8:29 pm
i read hardgainer somewhere.

eat more. recover from your training. 3-4 exercises per workout.

Firefist
10-06-09, 8:49 pm
Im gonna lay it down easy, before someone comes in and lays it out hard. Being a hard gainer is all in your head. If you dont eat enough, your not going to gain. There are no routines for a hard gainer or a easy gainer .. if you eat, you grow. Dont get me wrong, i thought i was in the same boat. I graduated HS in 2004 at 150ish .. right now, im dieting down for a show, but im 190 at about 7-8% BF. Thats all through natural supplementation and eating brother. SO we will start there as we have all been in your exact shoes my man and you have come to the perfect place to learn, whats your exact diet, right now.

i agree 100% on this. sure genetics have some effect on how you will look, but i think at the end of the day, its all on you.

i thought i was a hard gainer as well. i started lifting at 125 pounds and after 24 months of hard training and not missing a single workout, lots of eating, 6-8 a day meals a day, i am 200 pounds, with less bodyfat than i started with. and i have SHITTY genetics as it is. not generalizing, or stereotyping, but being an asian guy, we have ferrari fast metabolism and dont put on muscle very well at all. i got a few cousins in the homeland who dont eat or train like i do, and they all weigh a buck 20. then i look at some of the guys in the taiwan abc chapter who follow solid diets, train hard and have good physiques.

the old adage goes, its not about the hand your delt, but how you play your cards.

bottom line, and ive said this many a time, train hard, eat well, read up and become knowledgeable.

MaveN
10-07-09, 1:44 am
Shamefully 150 lbs after putting on 8 or 10 lbs over the summer. No fat or water weight so i wonder if its muscle or not. Since i was home alot i was able to eat eat eat without anything getting in my way like school and all that stuff. Been training for....around 4 or 5 months now, done tons of research so i have most knowledge then some dudes just walkin into the gym. Not very thick but im not entirely weak either (im quite proud of my 225 lb deadlift with strict form). Am i missing anything? Also i wanna say...thanks fellas!

tinyterror
10-07-09, 2:04 am
the old "eat, eat, eat" approach will ensure adequate recovery, but make sure its CLEAN. in their quest for calories, a lot of guys will turn to things like fast food for a calorie dense meal, but nothing beats good, clean, home cooked food for mass gain. invest in a decent weight gain shake, and for the hell of it, take your other supp's with fast acting carbs for added cals (i.e. if you're taking bcaa's, mix them with some waxy maize or dextrose, same for creatine, test boosters, etc.) the carbs will help with absorption and give you added calories. monitor your training progress. are you getting stronger? are you getting heavier? are you looking more muscular? all of these are questions that you can use to gauge your progress (though not all three have to be a yes). if none of these is happening, first reassess your diet, make sure you are getting in enough, then look at your training program. if you're doing doggcrapp, try high volume training and vice versa. don't expect your first training program to be the one that does it all, cause even with 4 years of powerbuilding, i still switch things up every 8-10 weeks or so. guys who have been at the game for far longer than me will also tell you that one of the guys to progress is changing things up, and not getting stuck in the same old routine.

violator
10-07-09, 7:02 am
....The eating is where im falling short if you want honesty..../QUOTE]

wel there u go then....

[QUOTE=MaveN;818821]... Been training for....around 4 or 5 months now....

Bro, 4-5 mths is just gettin u started, heck, after only 5 months, how do you even know ur a hardgainer?...ask urself if this is what u really want...which, from the sound of ur determination is the path uve chosen...then keep acquiring that knowledge...all of us, even cats that have been at it 20yrs + keep their thirst for knowledge.....u should be proud of ur 225 dead!...good job!...but realise that in the future, ull be doing that for warmups!...this life is forever!...keep learning & asking questions like u are!

the old "eat, eat, eat" approach will ensure adequate recovery, but make sure its CLEAN. in their quest for calories, a lot of guys will turn to things like fast food for a calorie dense meal, but nothing beats good, clean, home cooked food for mass gain....

While i agree that eating is crucial, i feel for most true hardgainers, there is nothing wrong with eating calorie dense junk food...now while eveyone is different, heres where common sense comes into play...if ur pounding down 5 cheeseburgers a day & u notice fat accumulating, then cut back...experiment with urself and see what works best for YOU....
i have friends who are 160lbs at 5% and even with eating 5K cals a day struggle with putting on mass....now try eating 5K a day of clean food...for ur beginner, thats enough to get them to throw in the towel because the demands are so much....but eating 2K clean & 3K from junk is much easier....

heres an article from Dave Tate u might find interesting:

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_interviews/37_tips_and_tales_from_dave_tate

my point is, eat...like ur life depends on it...but monitor ur progress & constantly look for signs of progress & adjust where neccesary

wedge
10-07-09, 10:55 am
Shamefully 150 lbs after putting on 8 or 10 lbs over the summer. No fat or water weight so i wonder if its muscle or not. Since i was home alot i was able to eat eat eat without anything getting in my way like school and all that stuff. Been training for....around 4 or 5 months now, done tons of research so i have most knowledge then some dudes just walkin into the gym. Not very thick but im not entirely weak either (im quite proud of my 225 lb deadlift with strict form). Am i missing anything? Also i wanna say...thanks fellas!

Everyone else has touched on it, so I'll leave the eating part alone (they are RIGHT though). Instead, I'll let you know it takes time. You need to train your ass off and eat right for a long time. Results are not going to happen over night.
When I started really working out, about five years ago, I was your size. 150 dripping wet. Now, after following a lot of the advice on here, I am standing at 220, mostly made up of muscle.
Basically eat a lot, train hard and do it consistently for a while. The changes will come. They'll have no choice but to.

ghost
10-07-09, 10:57 am
Im gonna lay it down easy, before someone comes in and lays it out hard. Being a hard gainer is all in your head.

Hardgainers are like Unicorns.

Both are bullshit. now go eat.

Aggression
10-07-09, 11:32 am

haha. Agreed here. As others have stated thus far, I thought I was a hardgainer too. That was until I got on a REAL bulk up diet. My gains took off and I kept climbing the ladder all the way to 230lbs. I'm dieting for a show (3 weeks out) and I'm 198lbs. I graduated high school at 175lbs. I'm 20lbs+ higher, dieting down! Why? Because I ate bro.

The only truth about being a hardgainer is that some people do have a more difficult time putting on weight. That just means you have to work even harder and eat even more. In the end, you'll have been through more and it'll be more rewarding.

ghost
10-07-09, 11:36 am
haha. Agreed here. As others have stated thus far, I thought I was a hardgainer too. That was until I got on a REAL bulk up diet. My gains took off and I kept climbing the ladder all the way to 230lbs. I'm dieting for a show (3 weeks out) and I'm 198lbs. I graduated high school at 175lbs. I'm 20lbs+ higher, dieting down! Why? Because I ate bro.

The only truth about being a hardgainer is that some people do have a more difficult time putting on weight. That just means you have to work even harder and eat even more. In the end, you'll have been through more and it'll be more rewarding.

i graduated high school at 97 lbs, hahaha. just finished cutting from 180 down to 158. gonna start my clean bulk soon.

wedge
10-07-09, 12:00 pm

Simple, yet elegant.

MaveN
10-07-09, 4:14 pm
[QUOTE=violator;818871][QUOTE=MaveN;818582]....The eating is where im falling short if you want honesty..../QUOTE]

wel there u go then....

Bro, 4-5 mths is just gettin u started, heck, after only 5 months, how do you even know ur a hardgainer?...ask urself if this is what u really want...which, from the sound of ur determination is the path uve chosen...then keep acquiring that knowledge...all of us, even cats that have been at it 20yrs + keep their thirst for knowledge.....u should be proud of ur 225 dead!...good job!...but realise that in the future, ull be doing that for warmups!...this life is forever!...keep learning & asking questions like u are!

HAHA i like the sound of that! Yeah ok i got it now. See what i consider eating alot i have to double that because i have a lightning fast metabolism which SUCKS. Basically i got shovel clean food in me whenever i can (thank you effed up schedule). As far as my training goes I actually just getting close to about the time i should change my routine so il be doing that soon to!

By the way i saved that site with Dave Tate, that was friggin useful! Thanks guys! Eating more starts tomorrow!

shizz702
10-07-09, 8:31 pm
Do this routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

Eat like we've been telling you to, and drink a gallon of whole milk a day. Do this for a few months and you will forget the term hardgainer even exists.

MaveN
10-08-09, 1:11 am
Def gonna keep this handy, thanks man!

Ir0nClad
10-08-09, 12:16 pm
Read this, part of an article posted on 70's big.com, where Dave Tate talks about the secret of gaining weight.

"There was a time at the Old Westside gym where I couldnít gain weight to save my fucking life.

There was this dude who trained there who could just put on weight like fucking magic. Heíd go from 198 to 308 and then to 275 and back down to 198. And he was never fat. It was amazing.

I finally asked him one day how he did it.

ďYou mean I never told you the secret to gaining weight? Come outside and Iíll fill you in.Ē

Now remember, weíre at Westside Barbell. And this guy wants to go outside to talk so no one else can hear. Think about that for a minute. What the hell is he going to tell me? This must be some serious shit if we have to go outside, I thought.

So we get outside and he starts talking.

ďFor breakfast you need to eat four of those breakfast sandwiches from McDonalds. I donít care which ones you get, but make sure to get four. Order four hash browns, too. Now grab two packs of mayonnaise and put them on the hash browns and then slip them into the sandwiches. Squish that shit down and eat. Thatís your breakfast.Ē

At this point Iím thinking this guy is nuts. But heís completely serious.

ďFor lunch youíre gonna eat Chinese food. Now I donít want you eating that crappy stuff. You wanna get the stuff with MSG. None of that non-MSG bullshit. I donít care what you eat but you have to sit down and eat for at least 45 minutes straight. You canít let go of the fork. Eat until your eyes swell up and become slits and you start to look like the woman behind the counter.Ē

ďFor dinner youíre gonna order an extra-large pizza with everything on it. Literally everything. If you donít like sardines, donít put íem on, but anything else that you like you have to load it on there. After you pay the delivery guy, I want you to take the pie to your coffee table, open that fucker up, and grab a bottle of oil. It can be olive oil, canola oil, whatever. Anything but motor oil. And I want you to pour that shit over the pie until half of the bottle is gone. Just soak the shit out of it.Ē

ďNow before you lay into it, I want you to sit on your couch and just stare at that fucker. I want you to understand that that pizza right there is keeping you from your goals.Ē

This guy is in a zen-like state when heís talking about this.

ďNow youíre on the clock,Ē he continues. ďAfter 20 minutes your brain is going to tell you youíre full. Donít listen to that shit. You have to try and eat as much of the pizza as you can before that 20-minute mark. Double up pieces if you have to. Iím telling you now, youíre going to get three or four pieces in and youíre gonna want to quit. You fucking canít quit. You have to sit on that couch until every piece is done.

And if you canít finish it, donít you ever come back to me and tell me you canít gain weight. íCause Iím gonna tell you that you donít give a fuck about getting bigger and you donít care how much you lift!Ē

Did I do it? Hell yeah. Started the next day and did it for two months. Went from 260 pounds to 297 pounds. And I didnít get much fatter. One of the hardest things Iíve ever done in my life, though."

Wasteland
10-08-09, 12:19 pm

Right here for the truth. Too many so-called "hard gainers" try to put on size and mass by changing up their routines, going harder, longer or or more frequently. They don't realize the fundamentals. To get big, you need to eat big. If you're not supplying your body with enough calories, no amount of lifting is going to make you bigger.

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=7797

StayGold
10-09-09, 1:29 pm
Hey brother...when i started lifting I had a hard time trying to get down what was going to work for me. I was fresh out of high school at a bulking 140 pounds. What I found was eating is key. Make sure no matter where you go, have a shake or some kind of meal with you. Feed your body until you can't get anything else down, then eat some more. In the past year and a half I've gained 30 pounds. It came very quickly at first because I had such a caloric surplus. But it worked. So that being said man....EAT.

MaveN
10-10-09, 2:58 pm
Hey brother...when i started lifting I had a hard time trying to get down what was going to work for me. I was fresh out of high school at a bulking 140 pounds. What I found was eating is key. Make sure no matter where you go, have a shake or some kind of meal with you. Feed your body until you can't get anything else down, then eat some more. In the past year and a half I've gained 30 pounds. It came very quickly at first because I had such a caloric surplus. But it worked. So that being said man....EAT.

On it bro :), I also figured with training weekly i wont put on to much bodyfat either since i sweat like a beast in the gym as it is to