PDA

View Full Version : Barbell Kickback! Looks Weird. Works Great!

osiris
10-07-09, 3:58 am
The barbell kickback gives you the best of both worlds. It's both a mass movement
and an isolation movement -- a single exercise for both size and shape.

How It's Done -
The barbell will be held behind your back with your arms down at the
sides, palms facing backward.
Use a "false" grip (thumbs the same side as the other fingers)
- Take a shoulder width grip. (Note: You may also want to experiment with some slight
variations in width.)
- Bend forward until your torso is parallel to the ground. Bend the knees slightly.
- Place the barbell so it falls into the mediolateral axis (the crook of the back of your knee
where your leg bends).
- Now, bend the arms and raise the bar up as high and as far back as you can. You can
even heave a little if you have to. After a few reps, you'll start to get the feel for it.

Here's a video link to it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC5-rlxoyxk

BubbyLight
10-07-09, 7:58 am
cool cool.. might give these a try

C.Coronato
10-07-09, 11:20 am
Very cool, thanks bro.

Mr. Aestheticz
10-07-09, 1:11 pm
I Have Tri's Today Too Hmmm?!?!?!

t_mh
10-07-09, 3:28 pm
The video makes it look a lot more legit than I expected. Could be worth a try.

Mindaugas
10-07-09, 11:46 pm
looks and sounds great

Cstlfx
10-07-09, 11:57 pm
Very weird. I never thought of a kickback with a barbell.

Good post!!

sideburnz
10-08-09, 12:34 am
Heard about this move from one of the animals . Can't remember what was his name but i must thank him. Been doing these for about a couple of months and it has its benefits. It's slightly different from the DB kickbacks. BB kickbacks works the long head of the tris even more. But i have to go a little light on this just to get a proper form. Trying to work the weights up soon.

saintmilette
10-12-09, 10:00 pm
i have always been a firm believer in dumbbell kickbacks. always feel them if you get the full extension. glad someone posted this.

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
10-12-09, 10:16 pm
Favorite tricep exercise, by far. Ridiculous pump with good form, go light and don't sway or swing the weight. Control it all the back and pause. Love this exercise.

Little Z
10-13-09, 1:17 am
adding to the routine tomorrow to give em a shot.. thanks for posting

LegendKillerJosh
10-13-09, 11:27 am
I'd probably stick with skull crushers but this looks good too. Can anyone explain what the hell the difference is between skull crushers, kickbacks, or cable pushdowns. All of them are the same movement just either standing, bending over or laying down. They all seem the same to me. Dips and close grip bench will get your triceps big.

Little Z
10-13-09, 3:51 pm
I'd probably stick with skull crushers but this looks good too. Can anyone explain what the hell the difference is between skull crushers, kickbacks, or cable pushdowns. All of them are the same movement just either standing, bending over or laying down. They all seem the same to me. Dips and close grip bench will get your triceps big.

its all about angles.. those movements hit different heads of the Tricep.. medial, lateral and long..
pushdowns will put continuous pressure on the entire tricep, rope pushdowns really tear em up..
kickbacks are an isolation movement, which depending on your grip will really hit the long head..
skull crushers aka lying tricep extensions will also hit the entire tricep muscle group..

sideburnz
10-14-09, 12:11 am

Skulls hit mainly the long heads, Db kickbacks touches all 3 heads. BB kickbacks you should feel it on your long and laterals. Rope pushdowns is a excercise that works mostly on the laterals,in fact if you do it properly,you would not even feel it on any other head of the tris.
Dips and CGs get them big , but dips work all 3 heads , unlike the cgs which work mainly the lateral and medial heads.

Kon_Rock
10-14-09, 9:59 am
Very Nice.....might have to give this a try! Way to put up a video too!!!

theharjmann
10-14-09, 6:08 pm
ive never really been a fan of dumbell kickbacks but have craving an exercise which works the triceps in a similar way. i think you may have cracked it. thanks bro!

SailinScotty
10-15-09, 3:18 pm
Did this last night and definately feel it today. Thank for passing this along. I'll be adding this in to the mix now.

LegendKillerJosh
10-16-09, 3:42 pm
its all about angles.. those movements hit different heads of the Tricep.. medial, lateral and long..
pushdowns will put continuous pressure on the entire tricep, rope pushdowns really tear em up..
kickbacks are an isolation movement, which depending on your grip will really hit the long head..
skull crushers aka lying tricep extensions will also hit the entire tricep muscle group..

Skulls hit mainly the long heads, Db kickbacks touches all 3 heads. BB kickbacks you should feel it on your long and laterals. Rope pushdowns is a excercise that works mostly on the laterals,in fact if you do it properly,you would not even feel it on any other head of the tris.
Dips and CGs get them big , but dips work all 3 heads , unlike the cgs which work mainly the lateral and medial heads.

I guess I'm just a skeptic but I would never do 4 different exercises for each head of the quad, and I feel the same way about this. Bench and dips, and I throw cable pushdowns in but that's almost overkill.

MikeMcM
11-06-09, 4:38 pm
Sweet Post! Would have never thought of that one.

Pumped to try it!

kauaiboy25
11-07-09, 5:29 am
damn.just did triceps and biceps today......will try out next week..BTW great post