PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to be a vegetarian and be a bodybuilder?

Oceanic6
10-07-09, 7:02 pm
what do you guys think about being a Vegetarian or Vegan and also being a bodybuilder? Is it possible to gain muscle mass and/or compete with this type of diet?

I'm not becoming a vegetarian or anything, just curious what everyone thought since we all eat so much meat and chicken.

violator
10-08-09, 2:36 am
the two are not conducive.... i dont know anyone thats a proper vegan/vegetarian and is Big... u just cant get the protein count you need...

Cstlfx
10-08-09, 3:06 am
I dont think its impossible, but as violator said, not conducive.

The problem is that its very difficult to get the massive amounts of whole protein needed to grow so large. If your genetics are great you'll be able to do it. It also depends on how strict of a Vegetarian you are. If you're a vegetarian that eats fish, eggs, and drinks milk. Then yea, you can be a bodybuilder.

Vegan, I've never met a vegan who weighed more than 130 soaking wet. The diet is severely limiting. We our omnivores. Our bodies havent evolved to be Vegans. We eat plants AND animals.

adidas
10-09-09, 9:12 am
you're best bet in this case is to locate a veggie/vegan bodybuilder forum in this case. No knock on the Animal ForVm here...but really most here don't practice or know much about that style of dieting and are typcailly IMO going to be skeptical or meat biased on opinions on the diet.

and I can not recall his name but there has been at least one IFFB pro Vegetarian...I just can't recall his name for the life of me! errrr

GJN5002
10-09-09, 1:26 pm
you're best bet in this case is to locate a veggie/vegan bodybuilder forum in this case. No knock on the Animal ForVm here...but really most here don't practice or know much about that style of dieting and are typcailly IMO going to be skeptical or meat biased on opinions on the diet.

and I can not recall his name but there has been at least one IFFB pro Vegetarian...I just can't recall his name for the life of me! errrr

I just google searched it and all the dudes I found had the mass of a 13 year old. One even claimed to be a pro haha.

mr.bump
10-10-09, 9:40 pm
I found this site this week http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=9625 this link goes straight to someones befor and after pics hes looking big but not massive
Am sure you could get allot bigger but it would be very hard

Appollonian
10-10-09, 11:42 pm
You could also look up Bill Pearl... he was a vegetarian at one point. Let us know if you find anything usefull...

prowrestler
10-11-09, 1:42 pm
what do you guys think about being a Vegetarian or Vegan and also being a bodybuilder? Is it possible to gain muscle mass and/or compete with this type of diet?

I'm not becoming a vegetarian or anything, just curious what everyone thought since we all eat so much meat and chicken.

no, it is not

ironshaolin
10-11-09, 3:09 pm
Bill Pearl has definately said he was vegetarian, but the argument was that he built his size BEFORE going veggie, and just kept it with his diet. Also try searching for Mike Mahler, he's more of a kettlebell guy but still has some decent mass for a vegan.

strivin for more
10-12-09, 4:45 pm
no, it is not

no offense dude, but dont be so cut and dry about it. theres plenty of calorie dense sources of protein that are vegan/vegetarian friendly. beans, nuts, fish (in some cases), and eggs are all examples (i know some of these examples dont apply to both). now granted you wont get as big as youd get with meats in your diet, it IS possible to get somewhere with that sort of diet.

Dr.Platypus
10-12-09, 4:52 pm
the amount of protein supplements you'd have to consume would be so silly...

violator
10-13-09, 4:56 am
no offense dude, but dont be so cut and dry about it. theres plenty of calorie dense sources of protein that are vegan/vegetarian friendly. beans, nuts, fish (in some cases), and eggs are all examples (i know some of these examples dont apply to both). now granted you wont get as big as youd get with meats in your diet, it IS possible to get somewhere with that sort of diet.

no it isnt, beans, grains etc are INCOMPLETE sources of protein.....sure u could use fish & eggs, which are COMPLETE sources...but that wouldnt be vegetarian & definitely not vegan...

adidas
10-13-09, 10:43 am
I just google searched it and all the dudes I found had the mass of a 13 year old. One even claimed to be a pro haha.
well I didn't say they where going to be huge guys...I just said this site isn't the site for trying to find out how to go about doing the diet. lol

Bill Pearl has definately said he was vegetarian, but the argument was that he built his size BEFORE going veggie, and just kept it with his diet. Also try searching for Mike Mahler, he's more of a kettlebell guy but still has some decent mass for a vegan.

Thats the IFBB pro I was thinking of...it could also be argued about the "supplemts" he used as well for his size...not saying. just saying.

msktyshha
10-14-09, 9:24 pm
veggie protein hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm SOY

prowrestler
10-14-09, 10:13 pm

fish is allowed? thats a meat lol

Dr.Platypus
10-14-09, 11:31 pm

if you ate soy in the quantities that would be required, it would definitely not be good for your hormones.

Cstlfx
10-14-09, 11:43 pm
fish is allowed? thats a meat lol

There are different kinds of vegetarians. Thats why I said his question depended on how strict of a vegetarian he is. Fish are allowed in certain circles of vegetarians, as well as dairy products (various cheeses, milk, yogurt, etc, etc), eggs, and other animal produced foods. Its not a true vegetarian, but still can be consider as.

These proteins definitely would not be available if the OP is a vegan.

Dr.Platypus
10-14-09, 11:45 pm
if you are eating fish you are not a vegetarian. you can say you are. but I can say I am a vegetarian too, just the kind that eats 6 chicken breasts a day.

violator
10-15-09, 2:08 am

soy.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....estrogen....

prowrestler
10-15-09, 12:16 pm
if you are eating fish you are not a vegetarian. you can say you are. but I can say I am a vegetarian too, just the kind that eats 6 chicken breasts a day.

i no a girl whos vegan, she would shoot a vegetarian eating fish loool

JUGGERNAUT
10-15-09, 5:11 pm

No looooooooooooooooooooooooooong words

Mr. Dead
10-15-09, 5:20 pm
He did well, as a vegan pro bodybuilder...

http://www.andreascahling.com/

http://www.dynamicbodies.com/vegetari.htm

Not my cup of tea, though... I bleed BBQ sauce... *LOL*

Pandora
10-22-09, 11:52 am
There are different kinds of vegetarians. Thats why I said his question depended on how strict of a vegetarian he is. Fish are allowed in certain circles of vegetarians, as well as dairy products (various cheeses, milk, yogurt, etc, etc), eggs, and other animal produced foods. Its not a true vegetarian, but still can be consider as.

These proteins definitely would not be available if the OP is a vegan.

Pescetarianism is vegetarians who allow fish into their diets. A vegetarian doesnt eat meat but consumes animal products. A vegan is a person who consumes NO animal products including honey.

Pandora
10-22-09, 11:54 am

I see your signature is a Bruce Lee quote, Bruce Lee is a vegetarian!

Appollonian
10-22-09, 12:01 pm
In his book The Art of Expressing the Human Body, Bruce Lee's wife stated he frequently ate meals of vegetables, rice, and meat... where did you get your info?

Dr.Platypus
10-22-09, 12:02 pm
Bruce Lee is a vegetarian!

i doubt it

Pandora
10-22-09, 12:05 pm
i doubt it

I speak truth. Look it up for yourself.

Pandora
10-22-09, 12:08 pm
In his book The Art of Expressing the Human Body, Bruce Lee's wife stated he frequently ate meals of vegetables, rice, and meat... where did you get your info?

It says about eight years ago he made the switch. But who knows if he stuck with it. I myself am, and just in my readings I have come across that information. I dont think he was always though.

Dr.Platypus
10-22-09, 12:09 pm
i'm just messin' with ya bro, since bruce leee hasn't had anyhting to eat in quite a while

Pandora
10-22-09, 12:13 pm
i'm just messin' with ya bro, since bruce leee hasn't had anyhting to eat in quite a while

Ha yes, that is true. But in general, there are impressive athletes who live the vegetarian or vegan lifestyle. I think for bodybuilders, being a vegan makes results harder to achieve but not impossible. And there are strong and muscular people of the world who dont eat meat.

That's all

J-Dawg
10-22-09, 12:18 pm
To answer the thread starter--Of course it's possible. There are many ways to attain a good physique. You don't have to always follow conventional methods if you do your research. The key with being vegetarian and/or vegan is to educate oneself on how to properly obtain protein/EFAs and other lacking vitamins and minerals that are common with a vegan diet. Don't jump right into it but rather research food choices to make sure the diet is well rounded even in the absence of meat/fish/dairy.

Pandora
10-22-09, 12:23 pm
To answer the thread starter--Of course it's possible. There are many ways to attain a good physique. You don't have to always follow conventional methods if you do your research. The key with being vegetarian and/or vegan is to educate oneself on how to properly obtain protein/EFAs and other lacking vitamins and minerals that are common with a vegan diet. Don't jump right into it but rather research food choices to make sure the diet is well rounded even in the absence of meat/fish/dairy.

Well said J. Research is key. When taking certain key foods out of your diet, it is really important to find out what nutrients you are missing and good ways of replacing them with foods that support your new diet.

I know we talked about this, how sometimes someone who jumps right into it, starts eating a lot of junk instead to avoid meat in their meals and they do not really know their options.

violator
10-23-09, 2:14 am

who told you that?, i have a picture of bruce eating a burger at macdonalds....

violator
10-23-09, 2:15 am

who told you that?, i have a picture of bruce with his family, eating a burger at macdonalds....

Pandora
10-23-09, 9:29 am
who told you that?, i have a picture of bruce with his family, eating a burger at macdonalds....

See above posts, It wasnt always the case, he was only a vegetarian towards the end years of his life.

Pandora
10-23-09, 9:36 am
Who knows, maybe I read wrong information. Sorry. We can move on now :)

J-Dawg
10-23-09, 10:01 am
Big picture, if you tweak your diet to incorporate the right kinds of vegatarian dishes that are high in protein, fiber, complex carbs, EFAs anything is possible. There are many ways to build a good physique. Let's not get our own personal biases or short sightedness as meat eaters, make you think that you need massive amounts of meat to build a bodybuilding phsyique. That's one way... For instance, there are many options for protein--Brown Rice Protein, Soy Protein, Pea Protein, Potato Protein, Hemp Protein (which has EFAs and fiber as well), Chlorella Protein, Spirulina Protein (with a bevy of other nutrients). I could go on and on...

GJN5002
10-23-09, 10:22 am
Big picture, if you tweak your diet to incorporate the right kinds of vegatarian dishes that are high in protein, fiber, complex carbs, EFAs anything is possible. There are many ways to build a good physique. Let's not get our own personal biases or short sightedness as meat eaters, make you think that you need massive amounts of meat to build a bodybuilding phsyique. That's one way... For instance, there are many options for protein--Brown Rice Protein, Soy Protein, Pea Protein, Potato Protein, Hemp Protein (which has EFAs and fiber as well), Chlorella Protein, Spirulina Protein (with a bevy of other nutrients). I could go on and on...

so basically you will be relying heavily on supplementation because vegetables are not high in protein. Nature did not intend for them to be, thats why God gave us meat. I dont think its being short sighted to say your chances of being a successful as bodybuilder with a vegan or vegatarian diet are slim. You may be able to attain a healthy look but gaining sizeable mass will no doubt be hard.

Aggression
10-23-09, 10:51 am
I'm sure its possible, but I wouldn't want any part of it. I love me some red meat, chicken, fish, etc. I couldn't imagine not eating any of that. My life would fall apart.

hrao
04-03-10, 8:06 pm
I hate being a vegetarian, its like constantly working against the theory of bulking, if anyone could help me out and try to help me in setting up a meal plan, that'd be greatly appreciated , i dont eat fish, but i can do milk & eggs.

JasonG
04-03-10, 8:41 pm
"Not eating meat is a decision, eating meat is an instinct!" -Denis Leary

Haha that says it all...

J-Dawg
04-04-10, 10:51 am
For the vegetarian bbers, keep in mind that beans, legumes, nuts all have a decent amount of protein (as well as fiber and EFAs). And nowadays, they have a number of veggie protein sources in case you want to supplement some extra (just like us meat-eaters supplement with whey/egg/milk protein powders) Throw in sources like flaxseeds, borage oil, evening primrose, olive oil, etc for EFAs. I'm no vegetarian but you can make do without meat/milk if that is your preference. Just because you're vegan/vegetarian doesn't mean you have to give up bodybuilding. Do your research and educate yourself about what foods to consume in order to meet your protein/EFA requirements. See what might be lacking and supplement with a multi if need be (usually B12 and some minerals). There are a quite number of vegetarian bbers/athletes who have built their physiques without meat. A google search will bring up a load of info and examples. In the end, it's really not that mind-boggling. Like with most things, some education is needed to open up the mind and prepare a plan.

Girevik 69
04-04-10, 9:05 pm
George Hackenschmidt was a demi-vegetarian, which meant that he ate meat, but only rarely. He wasn't big by today's standards, but his physique was nevertheless impressive, especially considering that he came from the "pre-everything" period.

Bill Pearl is a lacto-ovo vegetarian, and he has already been mentioned.

Mike Mahler has also been mentioned--he's a strength coach and kettlebell lifter, and he's a vegan. He's a pretty big guy, and he's really strong.

Mac Danzig is an MMA fighter who is a vegan. He's not huge, but has a well-defined, functional physique.

The combination of beans and brown rice provides a complete protein. In addition, there are several non-soy vegetable protein powders available--eg., hemp protein, sprouted brown rice protein, and mixed vegetable protein.

Girevik 69
04-04-10, 9:06 pm
And Bruce Lee was not a vegetarian...