PDA

View Full Version : weight stack accessories

Oceanic6
10-08-09, 1:04 am
once you can lift an entire weight stack is there any way to add more serious weight? I saw on some video back in the day some guy made a long pin to put into the stack and the end came out a few inches so he could add plates. is this something any of you have seen before? If so where would I get one? I tried searching the internet with no luck. In about a month or 2 I will be lifting the whole weight stack and would like to add more weight in the future.

any ideas?

rev8ball
10-08-09, 1:30 am
once you can lift an entire weight stack is there any way to add more serious weight? I saw on some video back in the day some guy made a long pin to put into the stack and the end came out a few inches so he could add plates. is this something any of you have seen before? If so where would I get one? I tried searching the internet with no luck. In about a month or 2 I will be lifting the whole weight stack and would like to add more weight in the future.

any ideas?

Adding plates to a stack is NOT a good idea. The cables that are used commerically are only made to hold "x" amount of weight, and adding to that may push them past their strength limit. I have seen cables snap while being used incorrectly, and it is not a pretty sight. They can be very dangerous.

If you're progressing that well, then maybe it's time to switch to more freeweights for your primary use, and use the cables for additional training.

Oceanic6
10-08-09, 9:06 am
I never thought about that. I guess they could snap. Thats the last thing I need. lol.. thanks a lot. I'll stay away from adding plates.

charlievanriper
10-08-09, 9:17 am
In years past when I had to train at Commercial gyms I would use the Pin to add additional weight without problems ( those cables can suport additional weights within reason) If your doing cable curls and want to add 25 's it works if you want to add 45's maybe you aught to look at free weights. just examples, but it does work and usually the pins on most machines are long enough to add 1 plate.
Also believe me most gyms will stop you if you start getting too crazy with thier machines, and a lot will not even let you add weight to them; so its really a crap shoot.

Oceanic6
10-08-09, 1:39 pm
yeah i mainly wanted it for pull downs for back and press downs for triceps. But I can just change it up and do them last or do other exercises.

ghost
10-08-09, 1:43 pm
yeah i mainly wanted it for pull downs for back and press downs for triceps. But I can just change it up and do them last or do other exercises.

start doing weighted pull ups instead. press downs, do Skulls...

prowrestler
10-08-09, 1:43 pm

or use 1 arm

t_mh
10-08-09, 2:38 pm
I never thought about the cable strength. I have added a 5 or 10 lb plate before.