PDA

View Full Version : Cardio - Harder to Get HR Up

Artem_
10-12-09, 4:01 pm
Not sure if this goes here or in Training. Feel free to move it wherever you want.

I'm cutting on keto and doing cardio after lifting currently. I try to keep my heart rate in the 120-130 range so as to burn through fat and not muscle.

When I started, I was 240lbs and it was pretty easy to get my heart rate in that range. I could just walk like 3.5 MPH and read a book; cardio was alright.

Now, I need to be going like 4.3MPH +, and not just walking, but taking really long strides, nearly lunges, to get my heart rate where it needs to be. How do you guys handle this? I don't want to have to run because:
1. I can't run for a steady rate for the amount of that that I need to be on the treadmill.
2. I can't measure my heart rate while running. When I walk, I just keep my hands on the metal sensors on the treadmill.

Thank you,

C.Coronato
10-12-09, 4:04 pm
Yo brother. I keep my HR at 135. This works great for me:

45-60 mins depends on the day.

3.1 speed.

Level 3 incline for 2 mins,
level 11 incline for 2 mins,
repeat.

Do that the entire time, dont hold on to the handles, let your legs do the work. Thats my show prep cardio, and its been awesome.

Artem_
10-12-09, 4:50 pm
Yo brother. I keep my HR at 135. This works great for me:

45-60 mins depends on the day.

3.1 speed.

Level 3 incline for 2 mins,
level 11 incline for 2 mins,
repeat.

Do that the entire time, dont hold on to the handles, let your legs do the work. Thats my show prep cardio, and its been awesome.
So you're saying, increase HR by increasing incline on a lower speed so that I don't have to walk extremely fast, right?

naturalguy
10-12-09, 4:53 pm
Not sure if this goes here or in Training. Feel free to move it wherever you want.

I'm cutting on keto and doing cardio after lifting currently. I try to keep my heart rate in the 120-130 range so as to burn through fat and not muscle.

When I started, I was 240lbs and it was pretty easy to get my heart rate in that range. I could just walk like 3.5 MPH and read a book; cardio was alright.

Now, I need to be going like 4.3MPH +, and not just walking, but taking really long strides, nearly lunges, to get my heart rate where it needs to be. How do you guys handle this? I don't want to have to run because:
1. I can't run for a steady rate for the amount of that that I need to be on the treadmill.
2. I can't measure my heart rate while running. When I walk, I just keep my hands on the metal sensors on the treadmill.

Thank you,

As you get in better condition, it will take more effort to get your heart rate up. You just have to up the intensity.

C.Coronato
10-12-09, 4:57 pm
So you're saying, increase HR by increasing incline on a lower speed so that I don't have to walk extremely fast, right?

Yes do intervals. 2 mins at level 3, 2 mins at level 11. at 3.1 speed.

Artem_
10-13-09, 8:22 pm
Messed around with increasing incline significantly after reading treetrunklegs' comment and that did the trick. Thank you,

C.Coronato
10-14-09, 10:09 am
Glad to help brother. I got myself a watch from Sports Authority for like 30$ to read my HR. I think it was a good investment as i dont trust the treadmill ones.