PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on low carb/ VLCKD diets...

violator
10-15-09, 2:54 am
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_interviews/the_new_lowcarb_guru

Comments anyone?

On Letting Go
10-15-09, 7:14 am
Honestly, im intrigued.

I've never really experimented with a low(er) carb diet, but im sure i will eventually. The ability to continuously 'recomp' seems ideal, but i wonder how easy it will be to achieve.

I guess all you can do is experiment and see how your body reacts. This article may have been the spark i needed to give low-carb a shot.

OLG

GJN5002
10-15-09, 10:48 am
Great post. Hopefully some people on the board read the whole article so we can dismiss the rumors of dying from low carb diets and how you need to shovel carbs 24/7.

On Letting Go
10-15-09, 12:10 pm
Great post. Hopefully some people on the board read the whole article so we can dismiss the rumors of dying from low carb diets and how you need to shovel carbs 24/7.

Gjn, Do you have any experience trying to add mass with a High PRO/FAT moderate CHO diet?

Im thinking of reducing my CHO intake to just breakfast & pre/post workout, totalling somewhere around 200g for the day. I'll continue to take in around 250g PRO and fill the rest in with FAT.

I dunno, i guess i'd like to hear everyone else's experiences with this type of diet, specifically for building mass. Looking to make lean gains and potentially recomp.

OLG

GJN5002
10-15-09, 1:21 pm
Gjn, Do you have any experience trying to add mass with a High PRO/FAT moderate CHO diet?

Im thinking of reducing my CHO intake to just breakfast & pre/post workout, totalling somewhere around 200g for the day. I'll continue to take in around 250g PRO and fill the rest in with FAT.

I dunno, i guess i'd like to hear everyone else's experiences with this type of diet, specifically for building mass. Looking to make lean gains and potentially recomp.

OLG

I PMed you

Pizzalamp
10-15-09, 9:43 pm
im currently bulking
on training days i take i 100g of carbs-50g pre and post workout
and the rest of the meals are protein and fat
on non weight training days i just do protein, veggies, and good fats

each meal is 40-50g protein, 16-30g good fats

and i do 1 refeed day a week

since beginning this diet i have gained about 7-8 pounds...and my bodyfat is still below 8%
my strength is always great in the gym and i keep hitting prs
i also do cardio 4 x a week

ive been feeling great and i have lots of energy
so i can do fine without lots of carbs
i even compete in kickboxing and my workouts do not suffer even though my carb intake is low.

shizz702
10-15-09, 10:10 pm
im currently bulking
on training days i take i 100g of carbs-50g pre and post workout
and the rest of the meals are protein and fat
on non weight training days i just do protein, veggies, and good fats

each meal is 40-50g protein, 16-30g good fats

and i do 1 refeed day a week

since beginning this diet i have gained about 7-8 pounds...and my bodyfat is still below 8%
my strength is always great in the gym and i keep hitting prs
i also do cardio 4 x a week

ive been feeling great and i have lots of energy
so i can do fine without lots of carbs
i even compete in kickboxing and my workouts do not suffer even though my carb intake is low.

I'm doing a simlar diet except I don't take in carbs pre or post workout, I just have one refeed day a week where I carb up and let loose a little.

The bulk of my meals are meat and veggies, or meat and healthy fats. I'm much leaner, have lost a good 2 inches off my waist already after only a month, strength is continuing to go up still, and I feel great.

dominate77
10-15-09, 11:27 pm
i think it's interesting they put breads and grain types at the very top and fruit below it on their pyramid. I would have thought fruit would be closer to the top because of more simple sugars and what not.

K Stro24
10-15-09, 11:34 pm
Question: so according to the article, the VLCKD diets would be best use for a "recomp" rather than a straight bulk or cut? anyone trying it willing to tell me some of their results? I'm very curious because I wanna drop some weight but at the same time I don't wanna lose the foundation I've built and I'd like to add upon it. it took me some hard work to get here and I don't wanna throw it away all because I'm self conscious since I can't see my abs. lol

IronWilson
10-16-09, 7:22 am
Question: so according to the article, the VLCKD diets would be best use for a "recomp" rather than a straight bulk or cut? anyone trying it willing to tell me some of their results? I'm very curious because I wanna drop some weight but at the same time I don't wanna lose the foundation I've built and I'd like to add upon it. it took me some hard work to get here and I don't wanna throw it away all because I'm self conscious since I can't see my abs. lol

VLCKD (what most refer to as keto around here.) are perfect for cutting imo. It never fails as long as you do it right, and it is much easier to make adjustments as opposed to carb cycling. As long as you train intense and keep on lifting heavy, you won't lose mucle.