PDA

View Full Version : Which magazines do you read?

naturalguy
10-15-09, 10:53 am
Which of these magazines do you read?

You can vote for more than one

What do you think about these magazines? Are some more hardcore than others?

GJN5002
10-15-09, 10:54 am
I used switch back and forth between all the major ones. Flex, M&F, MD, MuscleMag etc. I stopped buying them because Im realizing they just recycle the same article, ideas and diets over and over again. I just get online and get my info for free and read science journals. Only time I buy them now is for special ones like the Olympia edition.

As far as hardcore, I'd say Muscular Development because they dont shy away from the fact that drugs are involved.

Aggression
10-15-09, 10:55 am
I used switch back and forth between all the major ones. Flex, M&F, MuscleMag etc. I stopped buying them because Im realizing they just recycle the same article, ideas and diets over and over again.

This ^. I just read MD now. No nonsense, no fluff, 100% bodybuilding.

Dr.Platypus
10-15-09, 10:56 am
they're basically just a dose of inspiration i guess... same info most months. Stick tot he websites

Wasteland
10-15-09, 11:00 am
I read them all, though not every single month. M&F is obviously the magazine with the greatest circ, but to me, it's still a magazine in search of an identity. It has moved from BB to more mainstream, high visibility sports over the past few years. Flex is still the hardcore brother of M&F. MD, over the past 4-6 years has also struggled for an identity, but in the past few, has seemed to settle on a hardcore brand image. Ironman, well, Ironman seems to be around, never really changing. Same with MuscleMag, though MuscleMag seems to want to be more hardcore. All in all though, I think these magazines must be suffering the same fat as magazines in general: declining subscriptions, readers and ad pages. I wouldn't be suprised if, in a few years, we only had half of these left.

Mr. Dead
10-15-09, 11:03 am
I read Flex, MD, and Natural Bodybuilding and Fitness...

Wasteland
10-15-09, 11:09 am
I used switch back and forth between all the major ones. Flex, M&F, MD, MuscleMag etc. I stopped buying them because Im realizing they just recycle the same article, ideas and diets over and over again. I just get online and get my info for free and read science journals. Only time I buy them now is for special ones like the Olympia edition.

As far as hardcore, I'd say Muscular Development because they dont shy away from the fact that drugs are involved.

drug talk = hardcore?

I remember once when hardcore was a state of mind, an attitude.

Aggression
10-15-09, 11:11 am
drug talk = hardcore?

not necessarily. I think what he means is MD doesn't shy away from certain aspects of bodybuilding. They're 'all in' so to speak when it comes to the sport. For other magazines, such as Flex, M&F, they tend to be more 'acceptable by the general public', by only talking about the diet, training, and OTC supplementation, while steering clear of the 'drugs'.

Wasteland
10-15-09, 11:12 am
not necessarily. I think what he means is MD doesn't shy away from certain aspects of bodybuilding. They're 'all in' so to speak when it comes to the sport. For other magazines, such as Flex, M&F, they tend to be more 'acceptable by the general public', by only talking about the diet, training, and OTC supplementation, while steering clear of the 'drugs'.

Is Flex hardcore, even though it doesn't have drug talk? What exactly constitutes "hardcore" then in your opinion?

Aggression
10-15-09, 11:15 am
Not sure if hardcore if the correct word to use. I used to have a subscription to Flex and M&F for a few years. Once I came across MD, I dropped my subs to the other 2 simply because they seemed more 'fluffy'. I would describe MD as 'real'. And no, that doesn't mean I think Flex is 'fake', rather MD just seems to be more in tune with the sport as a whole compared to the other mags.

Beach91
10-15-09, 11:16 am
I responded that i read them all, I buy MD every single month, and go to a local drugstore to read the others to determine if they are worth buying or not. Muscle and Fitness is for the general pop. these days with a little bit of bodybuilding sprinkled in, its going the way of a Mens Health Mag trying to appeal to a greater male population that strives to look like a cover model, rather than the 250 lb bodybuilder of today.

Flex and Musclemag tend to rehash a lot of older articles and mix todays bodybuilding, and some hardcore pics n articles with Male Fitness stuff, trying to appeal to a mixed demographic.

Md tries to promote honesty and differentiates itself from others with coverage of drug use in regards to bodybuilding, and has more of a hardcore edge with focus directly on the bodybuilding scene.

I am a very visually motivated bodybuilder and Per Bernals work in Black n White in the pages of MD is simply amazing. But i go through all the books on a monthly basis and if there are articles and pics worth scrapbooking, I snap up that issue.

I also tend to prefer MD for its articles and insight from past pros like Shawn Ray, Flex Wheeler, my idol Lee Priest and i love Dorians articles on training. As well, monthly articles and pics from Evan (Ox) and the House are cool to checkout. The coverage they have on Kai is also very interesting as i find him to be very charismatic, and refreshing and a personality that bodybuilding needs at the moment.

All in all, the one thing that would be refreshing would be a magazine that covers bodybuilding indepth with no preference to their own athletes, as MD tries to be impartial but does favor its own over Weider sponsored pros, and Flex and Muscle and Fitness simply push Weider guys down your throat.

my 2 pennies

Dr.Platypus
10-15-09, 11:17 am
yeah even though I don't want to take steroids I appreciate it when mags are OPEN about the fact that LOT OF DUDES DO. Because they shouldn't be demonized, and since they do play such a large role in pro bodybuilding it is important to be open about them.

Hoomgar
10-15-09, 11:44 am
Read magazines??? When would I do that?

naturalguy
10-15-09, 11:46 am
Read magazines??? When would I do that?

When you are on the can

N. Motta
10-15-09, 11:47 am
Nothin better than saving a good article for a session on the throne. Haha

rev8ball
10-15-09, 11:54 am
I used to get Powerlifting USA pretty regularly.

But now, all I get are the journals to the associations that I'm a member of, like the NSCA, ACSM, NATA, ISSN, USAW, etc., etc.

Yep, I am just a big nerd........

fenix237
10-15-09, 11:56 am
this may sound like a shameless plug, but since i've discovered the Forvm, i've had no need/desire to buy mags anymore. i used to buy them for nutrition and workout articles, but the Forvm has them in spades and for free. what's even better is that you can post your questions and/or comments...

Wasteland
10-15-09, 11:58 am
this may sound like a shameless plug, but since i've discovered the Forvm, i've had no need/desire to buy mags anymore. i used to buy them for nutrition and workout articles, but the Forvm has them in spades and for free. what's even better is that you can post your questions and/or comments...

Shameless, lol.

But I hear where you are coming from. With the internet, in some meaningful way, TV and print has lost their priorities and prominence in the life of the average American--much like TV replaced radio.

As an aside, Bibendum.

Kon_Rock
10-15-09, 12:06 pm
MD. Its far better then the other one plus Ox and House have write up in there.

Hoomgar
10-15-09, 12:09 pm
When you are on the can

Oh man, don't get me started. Brings a whole new meaning to the term "shit paper"...

LOL!

I love to page through those Mags but i only get to see them at other places or the few freebies that get sent to me. For all the more time I would actually spend reading any of them it would be a waste of money for me. I do all my reading online these days.

Hg

G Diesel
10-15-09, 12:28 pm
My favorite is still Flex with MD a close second. I'll read them all from time to time, but those are the ones I actually care about reading.

None of them are perfect, but you take what you can get.

Peace, G

naturalguy
10-15-09, 12:39 pm
I love to page through those Mags but i only get to see them at other places or the few freebies that get sent to me. For all the more time I would actually spend reading any of them it would be a waste of money for me. I do all my reading online these days.

Hg

I do a lot online as well however there is still something about flipping through a magazine that I like, I don't know, call me old school

Aggression
10-15-09, 12:42 pm
When you are on the can

This.

Mr. Dead
10-15-09, 12:42 pm
I do a lot online as well however there is still something about flipping through a magazine that I like, I don't know, call me old school

And, some of the old ads, articles, and pics, you can't find online...

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
10-15-09, 12:47 pm
MD and the occasional Flex.

fenix237
10-15-09, 1:00 pm
Shameless, lol.

But I hear where you are coming from. With the internet, in some meaningful way, TV and print has lost their priorities and prominence in the life of the average American--much like TV replaced radio.

As an aside, Bibendum.

LMFAO!!!

GJN5002
10-15-09, 1:30 pm
drug talk = hardcore?

I remember once when hardcore was a state of mind, an attitude.

Agression summed up my thoughts pretty well.

Wasteland
10-15-09, 1:35 pm
Agression summed up my thoughts pretty well.

But what issue does Flex shy away from that MD doesn't--other than drugs? See what I mean?

GJN5002
10-15-09, 1:42 pm
But what issue does Flex shy away from that MD doesn't--other than drugs? See what I mean?

I cant answer that directly because I havent read flex in a while, but MD seems to have a more 'hardcore look,' the writing is very straight forward, they have contributors like valentino who dont hold back. They just seem to adress what bodybuilding is more than others. Flex may too, I just havent seen an issue in a while. The last mag I bought was last months M&F because Brady Quinn was in it haha.

C.Coronato
10-15-09, 1:56 pm
I find most of them are some kind of gimmicks or marketing schemes. "Build your bench by 50 lbs in 2 weeks" or "Six pack abs in 5 weeks" I dont like how the other companies have before and after pics and underneath say "results are not normal"

I think those kill the true purpose of a bodybuilding mag. Its all mainstream to me. I flip threw them if i have them, but the ads kill me.

Wasteland
10-15-09, 1:57 pm
I cant answer that directly because I havent read flex in a while, but MD seems to have a more 'hardcore look,' the writing is very straight forward, they have contributors like valentino who dont hold back. They just seem to adress what bodybuilding is more than others. Flex may too, I just havent seen an issue in a while. The last mag I bought was last months M&F because Brady Quinn was in it haha.

Ok, that's what I was getting at. So you feel MD is more "hardcore", not just because of the drug talk, but because of the design, layout, photos, writing style, etc.

Wasteland
10-15-09, 2:00 pm
LMFAO!!!

Yep, lol.

BubbyLight
10-15-09, 2:41 pm
i read m&f and flex, ill buy flex every once in a while but whoever posted the cheap subscription of m&f. bc i jumped on it. 12 months for like 7 bucks...its was pretty good

OPSNORM
10-15-09, 2:53 pm

I agree, my wife likes it because i save money. but she doesnt like the money i save being used on more supplements, oh well. but seriuosly this site as helped me more than anything else, well my nsca cpt cert also gave me some insight too

Wasteland
10-15-09, 4:42 pm
So far, Flex and MD are in the lead. No love for Ironman?

Dr.Platypus
10-15-09, 5:05 pm

oh man did you just list valentino as a PLUS

Wasteland
10-15-09, 5:05 pm
oh man did you just list valentino as a PLUS

I see where this is going, lol...

Beach91
10-15-09, 5:12 pm
I think Ironmans fairly solid, maybe no love for em because they arent overly flashy and dont have or always use recognizable athletes or bodybuilders that have mainstream name status and appeal. Ironman does have a good amount of training info. within its pages, and is well worth the read, I actually think it has more value for diet and nutrition info. than M And F or Musclemag

just my opinion though

Wasteland
10-15-09, 5:14 pm
I think Ironmans fairly solid, maybe no love for em because they arent overly flashy and dont have or always use recognizable athletes or bodybuilders that have mainstream name status and appeal. Ironman does have a good amount of training info. within its pages, and is well worth the read, I actually think it has more value for diet and nutrition info. than M And F or Musclemag

just my opinion though

Is it me or does it seem like Ironman rehashes/recycles old pictures from years ago in current issues?

Beach91
10-15-09, 5:27 pm
Thats so true, they recycle tonnes of old photos,

You can almost count on them doing a cover of Arnold every year, with "exclusive photos" never before seen, yet it you have last years issues, you will find they are the same pics.

Maybe i am the fool for buying these mags twice! I love the classic Arnold pics and routines though

Wasteland
10-15-09, 5:30 pm
Thats so true, they recycle tonnes of old photos,

You can almost count on them doing a cover of Arnold every year, with "exclusive photos" never before seen, yet it you have last years issues, you will find they are the same pics.

Maybe i am the fool for buying these mags twice! I love the classic Arnold pics and routines though

Lol. I can't tell if they are purposefully using old looking photos with athletes and outfits from years ago, or if they are just recycling.

Beach91
10-15-09, 5:36 pm
Total Recycling, Wasteland!

The articles are recycled too, usually once a year they will go over 50 or more of the most out there routines to shock your body for muscle growth, including arnold doing squats in the woods, etc etc,

But the mag has new material too, that is very useful, I enjoy some of the stuff they have on Eric Broser and some of John Hansen's stuff as well on natural bodybuilding.

Soldier
10-15-09, 10:01 pm
Both M&F and Flex are regulars for me, Flex more lately. Mostly for coverage of pro bodybuilding and for the occasional article or two.

JasonG
10-16-09, 2:32 am
I grew up reading Ironman, but now I read MD and Flex. I have a subscription to Flex but I like MDs online site alot. You can find out about anything and talk about anything on their forums; that's a plus. The ads are freaking pathetic though in every magazine. I spend most of my time reading about bodybuilding here, md's site and Dante Trudels site.

100jan
10-16-09, 6:31 am
Because I'm not able to buy these magazines in my country I search the Internet to download them, usually that is MD. In the meantime I stick to the FORVM, where I can find whatever I want.

Ragnar13
10-17-09, 3:49 pm
I normally read MD and Nusclemag and occassionally Flex. Had a 2 year subscription that was a gift for M&F. It really is geared to folks wanting to build an entire workout around an exersize ball....LOL ANd it does rehash old routines with new packaging.

I dislike the insane amount of ads in the mags though. I rip em out and it is so funny that the "400 PAGE SUPER ISSUE>>>BIGGEST EVER" is down below 60 actual pages.

I do like Natural Bodybuilding and Fitness and REPS!

And I Valentino's section is not a plus. LOL

Dr.Platypus
10-17-09, 7:37 pm
cannot get more hardcore than men's health

dominate77
10-17-09, 11:12 pm
i work at a gym and we get MD, Flex, and M&F.
i work 20 hours on the weekends so of course i read them all but i truly hate flex and only read it because i have nothing else to do! I also read people and US though lol

MD i used to like a lot more when they had dave and john but they still have some cool stuff, i like that lee priest is a part in it now, and valentino is pretty funny too.

M&F usually has interesting stuff, i liked their last "alpha male" issue.

Did anyone else notice flex/M&F shift from being completely anti-fat to pro-fat?

Beach91
10-17-09, 11:32 pm
Hey Dominate, MD has totally shifted as well since Dave and John have left, it went from pro-keto to pro-carbs, although Steve always argued throughout the Mag that carbs are needed for optimal muscle growth

dominate77
10-18-09, 2:30 am
you're probably right, but i guess i didn't really ever notice too many people besides dave that were pro-keto. It seemed like most of the MD athletes used carbs besides evan and mike l, but they gave a diet with carbs a chance after dave and john were fired.

Wasteland
10-19-09, 10:25 am
Hey Dominate, MD has totally shifted as well since Dave and John have left, it went from pro-keto to pro-carbs, although Steve always argued throughout the Mag that carbs are needed for optimal muscle growth

If true, suggests there is bias in journalism? That is, articles reflect the opinions of those who put a magazine together in one way or another? Say it isn't so, lol.

IRBS
10-19-09, 11:04 am
How many diefferent ways can you type "3 sets of 10"...because thats what I feel like theyre trying to do with most of these mags, LOL

I do like MD though...

dominate77
10-19-09, 11:27 am
I do like MD though...

all day

Beowulf
10-27-09, 3:33 pm
I read Flex and MD.

NJC_Manhattan
10-27-09, 10:56 pm
I read this site, that's more important than any magazine.

SQUAT or DIE!
10-27-09, 11:03 pm
i dont read any anymore, but i want to get my hands on POWER... :)

Joseph V
11-13-09, 4:23 am
i read MD and flex..but instead of buying em i just readthem everytime i go to Borders book store..and whenever i go i always bring my composition books, that has all my notes ive taken from MD and flex magazines

i dont know if this is a right thing to do but why buy when you can read and take notes in the same store,..and you only buy the issue if its a olympia issue or if your favorite bodybuilder is on the cover IMO

11-13-09, 9:52 am
Bodybuilding rags? Can't say I buy any of them. Read them if they're free? Maybe. Precious little useful information in them. Mostly marketing and advertising, ghost-written drivel.

-RAGE
11-16-09, 3:36 pm
I read reps mag. its from the publisher of MuscleMag but its geared more toward the bodybuilders who want to stay natural and have more "normal" physiques. It has a lot of good tips and training info. It comes out quarterly so I take my time and flip through it whenever I find time. Good for motivation too.

Flash419
11-16-09, 4:24 pm
I know they are out of print now.. but better then any magazine for motivation and information was the Animal Owners Manual.

Any chance of that coming back into print? Charge for it instead of giving it out.. they would sell like hotcakes!

11-16-09, 5:38 pm
I know they are out of print now.. but better then any magazine for motivation and information was the Animal Owners Manual.

Any chance of that coming back into print? Charge for it instead of giving it out.. they would sell like hotcakes!

I remember getting one of the first one years ago. They were great.

Soldier
11-16-09, 11:33 pm

http://www.animalpak.com/sub/aom.pdf