PDA

View Full Version : Strongman Journey.

MeXicano
10-19-09, 6:37 pm
So, last week was my first week at a "strongman" split/routine. I have to say, it wasn't as different from bodybuilding or power lifting as I thought it would be. I was a lot more tired, though. Anyway, after several weeks of planning and replying to the many helpful posts about how to train and splits, etc. Here's how the week went:

Day 1: shoulders, calves, abs.
Push Press: 2 warm up sets. 6 (working sets) x 3-8
Hammer Strength Shoulder Press: 6 x 3-5
Side Laterals: 4 x 6-10
Machine Shrugs: 5 x 10-12
Seated Calve Raises: 3 x 15-20
Donkey Calve Raises: 3 x 8-10

Day 2: Arms and Cardio
Rope Push Down: 3 x 15-30 (warm up triceps)
Close Grip Press: 6 x 6-10
Skull Crushers (incline) 4 x 6-12
Machine Dips w/ Machine Push downs: 3 x 8-10

Day 3: Legs and Cardio
Dead Lift: 2 warm up sets. 6 (working sets) 2-8
Leg Press: 6 x 12-15
Good Mornings: 3 x 10
Kneeling Leg Curl: 3 x 15-20

Day 4: Chest and Back
Wide Grip Chins: 4 x 8-10
Incline Barbell Press: 6 x 6-10
Bent Over Row: 4 x 5
Hammer Strength Incline Press: 3 x 8-15
Single Arm Pull Down: 3 x 15 (each arm)
Cable Cross Over w/ push ups: 3 x 20

Day 5: Event Training
Tire Flips: 4 x 6-8 flips.
Truck Pull: 3 x 40ft.

On leg day, I alternate from week to week with leg press and squats. If I'm going heavy on deads, I'll do Leg Press, and if I go lighter on Deads, I'll go heavy on squats.

As far as Cardio, goes, it's either a 15-20min jog or 500-800m swim.

Young&Hungry
10-20-09, 2:03 pm
Hey man, glad to see you are interested in training strongman! I have a few critiques on your routine, however. What you have right now isn't really a routine geared towards the sport. You have a bit too much individualization of body parts (i.e. seperating stuff into bodyparts and not body regions) and you don't seem to have a solid event day every week, which is really the only day of the week that "matters" in strongman. Here's what I'd run if I were just getting into the sport again.

Monday - Uppers
Olympic Lift from the hang position
OHP/Incline Bench - rotate weekly
Chest accessory
Lats
2 exercises for arms
Conditioning

Wednesday - Lowers
Olympic Lift from the floor
Deadlift
Close Stance Squat for reps
Low Back/Hamstrings
Abs

Saturday - Events
OHP with an implement (log, axle, circus DB, keg, etc)
Walking Event (farmer's walk, yoke, various carries, tire flips done by themselves)
Medley (group two walking events that you did not previously do together)
Loading Event (stones usually)
Conditioning

The hardest part is usually finding a crew to train the implements with. Where abouts are you from? If you do not train the implements, there's no way you can call yourself a strongman. Most groups are very open to newcomers and will show you the ropes so long as you stick with it.

MeXicano
10-23-09, 5:38 am
Hey man, thank you so much for the help! I've actually tried to find any articles you've posted to ask you strongman questions. This one dude in an article I posted asking for help in strongman suggested I speak to you.

I'm from deep south Texas, about 5 miles from the border. The thing is, strongman competitions down here are non-existent. I go to a Gold's Gym down here and they host one every year and from what I hear, it's just a bunch of dudes trying to see what they got. I really want to compete, though. I come from a wrestling/bodybuilding background and competition is innate. Strongman competitions seemed perfect because weight lifting has become a love not a job.

As far as my training is concerned, I can only train specifically enough because Gold's doesn't have any of the equipment needed to a strongman comp which is ironic since they host one. Everything I've done has been in substitution for lack of equipment and I've watch Derek Poundstone Vids and Mariusz Pud (sp?) vids.

What do you consider conditioning? which olympic lifts do you recommend? I do power cleans at the end of my shoulder workout and focus on my explosion keeping it at 2-5 reps. Yesterday, I did heavy squats and light deads going for reps, but against the clock. For instance, 30-35 secs and seeing how many reps at 315 I could do.

Thoughts?