PDA

View Full Version : EFA's...can they be detrimental to gains?

Bran88
10-21-09, 12:05 pm
Specifically fish oil. Of course essential fatty acids are great for us, but I have heard they regulate inflammation. I know that taking anti-inflammatory supplements are detrimental to gains due to the fact that muscle growth is generated by inflammation.

What is your input on this?

Thanks,
B

GJN5002
10-21-09, 1:19 pm
there are different kinds of inflammation in the body and EFA's regulate bad inflammation for the most part. Even if they did, the good they do far outweigh anything else.

Wasteland
10-21-09, 1:21 pm
Specifically fish oil. Of course essential fatty acids are great for us, but I have heard they regulate inflammation. I know that taking anti-inflammatory supplements are detrimental to gains due to the fact that muscle growth is generated by inflammation.

Thanks,
B

It sounds like you are specifically referencing arachidonic acid?

In general, too much of anything can be detrimental, and not just for bodybuilding. Also, I'll making a casual observation that too many people who supplement with EFA are overly fixated on fish oil-only (e.g., EPA/DHA).

krazyassmexican
10-21-09, 2:46 pm

Thanks,
B

we already take a shit load of inflammatory fats so a few fish oil caps here and there wont hurt!

Bran88
10-21-09, 6:24 pm
we already take a shit load of inflammatory fats so a few fish oil caps here and there wont hurt!

The bottle suggests to take 2 oil pills twice daily. What do you all think?

krazyassmexican
10-21-09, 7:30 pm
The bottle suggests to take 2 oil pills twice daily. What do you all think?

i would go for like 5grams a day total

Dr.Platypus
10-21-09, 7:52 pm
Some EFAs promote inflamation (omega 6s?)

Big Wides
10-22-09, 6:08 am
My take on this is that your overthinking this way to much. The benefits of EFAs far outweigh what your talking about here with it hindering your gains with them being anti inflamatories. Also fats can help and aid with boosting your natural hormones as well.

Take the EFAs it wont hurt your gains, it can only help

squattingtillipuke
10-22-09, 8:07 am
. Also fats can help and aid with boosting your natural hormones as well.

Exactly...Beef Fat is great for helping to promote test production.

The only thing that I have read and it was based on what happened to me is that if your 3's and 6's are out of whack you can increase the effects of tendonitis. I know that my elbow paid the price for me not paying close attention to this matter.

ironshaolin
10-22-09, 8:22 am
4-6 grams a day of fish oil will do the opposite of hurt your gains. Number one, they've actually shown taking fish oil can aid in fat loss when NO other approach is taken. NExt, they will regulate hormone levels, making sure your body is producing adequate amounts of both IGF-1, HGH, and they almighty testosterone. Its good for your heart. Its good for your skin. Its good for your eyes. Its good for your focus. The anti inflamatory it mostly causes is that in your knee joints after squatting. You know that pain you get sometimes? Fish oil can help get rid of it.

IronWilson
10-22-09, 8:28 am
Consider your fats as you do your vitamins. You need a better multivitamin than the average person. Therefore, the established Omega-3 fat intake requirements are much lower than your needs.

Bran88
10-22-09, 1:03 pm
Word.

Well in Animal Omega, I'm going to guess it's all EFA's (such as fish oil)?

Wasteland
10-22-09, 1:53 pm
Word.

Well in Animal Omega, I'm going to guess it's all EFA's (such as fish oil)?

Animal Omega is an EFA supplement, yes. But it's not just limited to fish oils. It's a full spectrum product with both fish and vegetable-based EFAs.

BigChrisF
10-23-09, 4:04 am
I recommend supplementing with a lot of fish oil.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/75353-gr-easy-ejls.html